New Star Soccer 4.07: Can You Click It?

By Kieron Gillen on June 29th, 2009 at 7:12 pm.

Kick the ball with your foot.
Sometimes I’ve amazed what we haven’t written about. A recent update to 4.07 reminded me that we’ve never even given the slightest plug to New Star Soccer 4, unarguably the most critically acclaimed Indie football game existent. The updates include a general boost to AI – both players and goalkeepers – but it’s really notable for just being its own take on the genre. You play a single player, following him through his career. I admit, I haven’t had a chance to really delve it into much, but the worth of being independent is clear when there’s obvious options to do illegal drugs to boost your performance at the risk if you’re found out. Plus, going gambling, drinking and getting a girlfriend. In other words, all the stuff which you’ll never see in a game with an official licence. You can get the demo here or watch some footage beneath the cut…

You can tell we’re being indie-biased again, because I didn’t even do a foot-to-ball gag. Man! We’re such posers.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Guto says:

I remember playing the first versions of this game, when it was text-only and really fun. Then NSS3 came and you had to control the player with sensible soccer-style graphics and it screwed the game for me. I didn’t even know that there was already a NSS4, I’ll probably try it to see if it’s any better than the previous version.

2. Nimic says:

I actually bought this not long after it came out, having had great fun with NNS’ 1 through 3. It just seemed a bit.. slow. And hard. And almost impossible to play without a joystick (which I don’t own). Since then, I’ve gotten a 360 and even more recently one of those chargers that makes my wireless controller not wireless (for double the cost of a non-wireless controller; I’m an idiot). Maybe I should try and see if I can use that for the game. Using the mouse was hard.

I think I might have to give it another go, and see if I can’t work things out. The whole idea of New Star Soccer appeals to me as a lazy gamer. I’ve actually done something similar but really not similar at all with Football Manager 2009 (and 2008, and 2007) where I have some fellows on another forum make themselves as players according to some specific criteria I set, and then I make a manager, go on holiday, and give them yearly updates. It’s awesome. Unfortunately, every update is 5-6k words, which is a lot.

But, I digress, I should try NSS4 again.

Should I?

3. Mark says:

Granted, I watched the video without sound, so I may be off base here: is this a soccer sim or a casino sim?

4. Norskov says:

Played NSS 2 and 3 quite a lot and loved them, but never really played this one. Might give it a go.

5. drewski says:

Liked NSS3, but 4 was too much of a resource hog. I didn’t even have the patience to wait for it to load.

6. SyckniS says:

Heh nimic all that cord does is charge the controller it still interacts to the xbox wirelessly. You need a actual wired controller to work with your pc or they sell a 20$ piece of hardware you plug into a USB port and then the 360 controllers work wirelessly

7. Ian says:

I had fun with NSS3 and keep meaning to give this a try.

8. OJ287 says:

I played NSS 3 for a long time but got bored of it.
    The difficulty is screwed. I had to play it on easy because higher levels drain your fatigue ridiculously, meaning you can only play alternate matches.

£17.99 is about eight quid too high for me to buy.

9. cliffski says:

I’m not a soccer fan, but its awesome to see an indie dev sticking two fingers up to the corporate sanitised bullshit that is AAA sports franchises. All power to them!

10. Gnarl says:

We’re?

11. Nimic says:

I know it’s a charger, SykniS. That’s why I bought it. To… charge.

12. Iyanna says:

Hi,

We have just added your latest post “New Star Soccer 4.07: Can You Click It?” to our Directory of Sports. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.

Warm Regards

Sportstrove.info Team

13. terry says:

Spam, spam, spam. Humbug.

I was a big fan of NSS3, despite being terrible at the sensi-soccer bit, so might have to give this a try. I’m not all that keen on the new viewpoint, though I guess this can be changed.

Incidentally, if you liked the text-based NSS games, give the hockey one a shot. It’s still obviously in the early stages of development but a lot of fun. And free. Which is nice.

14. terry says:

Spam, spam, spam. Humbug.

BTW I love your blog!

15. Peter says:

NSS4 is very addictive and fun!

16. metin2 yang says:

never give up behold the chance as legend

17. metin2 yang kaufen says:

nice post thank you for sharing