My Uzi Weighs A (Skele)ton (Boy): Friendly Fire

By Kieron Gillen on June 29th, 2009 at 11:11 am.

I wish I had a monocle. SAD FACE.

People mail tips to RPS as a group. Sometimes they mail them to me directly. I can’t help but feel choosing the latter is the result of amateur psychoanalysis my interests (Sex, Swearing, Extreme Violence, Pop Music, Pretension, Short Temper With Patronising Pedants). So when the comments-thread’s Dorian Cornelius Jasper mails me flashgame Friendly Fire I’m worried he thinks I’m a fan of the we-don’t-sound-like-the-klaxons-but-we-fucking-do band. But thankfully, it’s actually about a man in a top hat blowing tiny cute animals into their individual organs with a variety of heavy weaponry, collecting those organs, and then upgrading their weaponry (Presumably by swapping all the goop for guns in some kind of particularly unsavoury shop, thankfully off screen). That’s the kind of thing we can all get behind, I suspect. Go play here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Carra says:

The guy has a monocle! I’m sold.

2. Ian says:

Utterly mental. More games need gunshot effects that are just a guy making the noises.

3. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

And you don’t ever get all the guns in one playthrough. In fact, you only get four. One from each tier. I burnt up a distressing amount of time playing this game over and over again just to try out different weapons.

But I don’t regret it because it’s all so delightfully dopey and it made me grin and that’s alright by me.

4. Heliocentric says:

this game could do with letting you unlock more weapons without restarting, after 3 runs I’m starting to get bored but I’ve only tasted about 30% of the guns, but due to the branching tree it’d take like 10 playthroughs.

5. MrBejeebus says:

looks fun will try now

my brother saw friendly fires in berlin the other week..

6. Lukasz says:

laser weapon is the most effective. massive kills all the time.
    shuriken weapon is awesome too.

Game is fun.

7. Edgar the Peaceful says:

“This is no kid and I’m not no toy boy!”

8. dumbass says:

mindlessly amusing for a while.

once the false grail of upgrading weapons wore of, i just thought “what the fuck am i doing” and quit.

9. The Innocent says:

It was fun for a little bit. The pop-up messages announcing things like achievements kept blocking the action along the ground, however. And achievements were unlocked fast enough that it was quite a problem.

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Not really fun to me. It kept me occupied for a bit, but I can’t say I really liked it. A timewaster, that’s all.

11. Skye Nathaniel says:

A carefully polished, totally unplayable game obviously recommended merely for juvenile cartoon punk aesthetics. Hooray for monocles and top hats and shooting cute things to produce gore. Thanks for bringing this to my attention; I was looking for a thoroughly unsatisfying way to waste five minutes. Please report on more terrible games like this until anything that doesn’t outright suck becomes the most brilliant thing I see all day. My reduced standards for all things in life will eventually enable me to feel a rush of pride every time scratching my fat, naked belly emits a belch of respectable magnitude. Self esteem is the key to happiness, and you, Rock Paper Shotgun, are today weighing us all down as the cornerstone of dignity. Keep up the good work, you saviors of humanity.

12. Alex says:

I couldn’t stand the camera swivel tied to your aiming.

13. ACESandElGHTS says:

I don’t care what Skye says about him, Gillen is keeping the spirit of Public Enemy alive and well, and Chuck D would love him for that.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaahhh, BOYeeeeee!!

14. Wedge says:

Those were quite the productions values for an incredibly poor game. I played about 30 seconds before realizing the physics and collision mechanics were all non-existent. Getting hit and shooting something all felt like equally nothing was actually happening.

15. Bret says:

Man. The nuke in that game…

If I may bring up another fairly poor shooter’s weapon systems:

X-Com Enforcer, well, no-one would call it a good game. Still, it managed to give the player weapons that were satisfying. The Shotgun, the first unlockable weapon, still packed just enough of a kick to satisfy the primal urge to kill a large amount of enemies easily. The final gun there, the nuke, even when it didn’t one shot an enemy felt insanely overpowered. In other words, for all its faults, the game knew how to make you feel like an angel of death.

This game’s nuke, however, is crap. It’s less satisfying than any explosive weapon I’ve tried in my gaming career. Combine that with a sadly limited tree of tech options, and an incredibly irritating set of sound bytes, and we have a game not worth the price. Of free.

This says a good deal, as I’ve actually beaten said cruddy X-Com spin off. If I tire of a game in one play…

16. Bret says:

Although I do, in general, approve of Monocles and top hats.

17. Chutn3y says:

Mr. monocle-and-top-hat looks like Jim!

18. rhalle says:

Wow, a really old-school Public Enemy reference.

I knew there was a reason I came around here.

19. Duncan says:

That’s not fair. Friendly Fires have a lot more in common with the Rapture, LCD Soundsystem et all than they do with the Klaxons.

20. ChainSOV says:

I really liked the snobby monocled voice announcing “trrrriple kill” :D