Brick By Brick: Lego Arcade

By John Walker on July 1st, 2009 at 8:00 am.

PEW PEW!

A very tenuous post, since it’s not quite related to PC games. But it’s games before there even were PCs, and that counts. Shut up. Also it’s got Lego in it, and there are Lego games for the PC. Look, leave me alone, it’s a really damned good video and deserves a watch. It’s classic arcade games recreated in stop-motion Lego! See!

By Michael Hickox, who has quite a splendid array of other Lego stop motion videos to watch here.

See.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Bret says:

Nifty keen.

On the other hand, the player of this lego arcade booth kinda sucks. I mean, he can’t beat level one of frogger?

2. Owen says:

Brilliant. Aww the asteroids one really brings back some happy memories. I think when I have kids I’ll start them on the old classics like that actually. Give ‘em a good foundation in gaming and create the Ultimate Gaming Champion.

3. jon_hill987 says:

He got asteroids wrong, IIRC the ship has no reverse thruster to slow you down, you have to turn 180 and thrust again.

Good job on the rest though, if you squint they look like the real thing nearly.

4. pepper says:

Indeed, the player sucks, the animation is kickass! I think he did a fantastic job on getting it right!

5. Saul says:

I’ve played some of those games on my PC. It totally counts. Great video. Some people have a lot of patience.

6. Saul says:

This a great version of Asteroids for PC, by the way: http://takegame.com/shooter/htm/astrofire.htm

I played it to death when it came out. Can’t believe it’s itself 15 years old now.

7. Lack_26 says:

These games were basically my childhood when it came to gaming, yet I’m only 18. What’s going on there then?

Yeah, I had a BBC Micro as a kid, didn’t us a PC till I was 8. Also, went to a museum, in the 60s toy section, I realised that those toys were pretty much all I played with when I was younger and I had about 90% of the ones on display. So yeah, wasn’t exposed to my generations childhood culture.

8. Rob says:

Loved the Tron one especially, nice piece of work all in all.

9. Rei Onryou says:

Awesome. Meta gaming the Lego. Because all kids who now play with Lego actually want to be playing PC games. ;)

10. Rane2k says:

Nice! :-)

For the Asteroids fans out there, here is a really cool modern version of it:

11. Bob Bobson says:

Very fine vid, thanks for sharing. Don’t let stick-in-the-muds try to hamper your style by whining about what is and isn’t PC gaming – it’s lego, it’s ace, it’s win. See.

12. Igor Hardy says:

Man, I always got killed in those and ultimately run off to play some adventure games. Still, some Arkanoid clones were really addictive. As was Lego of course.

13. cHeal says:

That is fantastic, cheered me right up :P

14. Supraliminal says:

Splendid.

(posting only one word. Kinda Spam)

15. Psychopomp says:

That made me smile something fierce.

16. sockpuppetclock says:

Brick by brick! Tock by tick! No matter how thin, no matter how thick. Papa told Laura, and Laura told Nick. You can move a mountain if you do it BRICK BY BRICK!

17. Polysynchronicity says:

Best lego game ever: LEGO Rock Raiders, a RTS for the PC. Hell yes.

18. Vinraith says:

Superb, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

19. somnolentsurfer says:

I’m calling foul on the Pac Man one. There’s post production there, making his mouth open and close.

Cool though.