A Stand Up Fight: Interstellar Marines

By Kieron Gillen on July 2nd, 2009 at 10:41 am.

It's Thunderbird 2!
Hmm. Interstellar Marines is an indie-developed high-sheen FPS which is… well, I’m intrigued for a load of reasons. Partially because it looks novel (Talking about trying to do a realistic first-contact alien event) and partially because of its route to market. The short version – for more read the press coverage – is that in 2006 they used a high-end game engine to do a demo, which got attention, they turn away from major publishers in favour of indie-dev… which makes the engine too expensive, so they’re moving over to another one. Which they can’t show in game footage publicly. Yet. It’s also got an interesting development philosophy - interesting in that it manages to be both self-deprecating (in its insistence on the import of the community and attention) and self-aggrandizing (not least in calling it “AAA Indie”. As in, if they’re AAA indie, what are everyone else?). Do read. Those videos they can show are below…

They’re planning on a Beta later in the year. More later, I suspect, one way or another.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Garreett says:

Sounds doomed to fail, to me. Way too ambitious for a startup indie dev team.

2. markcocjin says:

I was thinking of the same thing only bettter constume design and the realistic documentation of the first historical space marines. Kind of like how Enterprise the tv series was.

3. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Aaargh Indie, more like :)

4. nikos says:

Looks very polished. As to “a realistic first-contact alien event” I beg to differ – from the trailers it look like another flesh-eating ‘aliens’-like aliens crossed with sharks… Or is there a lot more than meets the eye? The web site is very short on details.

5. Uglycat says:

Sharks!

6. Dain says:

Sharks with LEGS

7. chaves says:

Sharkaliens.

Uh-huh…

That old engine looked nice, though.

8. Carey says:

Ray-liens?

9. Rook says:

The problem with AAA indie or mods is that we get so many promises and so little actually delivered. It’s usually best to wait till they actually come out before getting excited.

10. pignoli says:

@markcocjin:

‘Kind of like how Enterprise the tv series was.’

What, awful?

11. duel says:

Sweet! the second video is much more action packed and to-the-point than the trailer. kinda like the backstory too.

is this a new genre for games? massive projects with a bigger scope and longer development time?

12. Here Goes! says:

I hate the indie scene

13. Sartoris says:

Looks quite impressive. I hope they can deliver.

14. Klaus says:

Or is there a lot more than meets the eye?
    Transformers??

Looks great, I would play this for the story. The last FPS I enjoyed greatly was the Halo. (yes)

I also love Sharkaliens.

15. Jonas says:

Woah these guys are still alive? Awesome. I hope they pull it off!

16. Klaus says:

I don’t know where the ‘the’ came from. But I like it.

17. Salt says:

Only with the diligent support of the community can a small indie team hope to make a truly generic dark-metal-corridor shooter! It’s amazing what we can do when we all work together.

I like that the enemies are landsharks, though.

18. Bhazor says:

Eeek! Landsharks! I’m afraid of landsharks!

It looks polished and might be fun but I hate to say this but that looked pretty generic. it probably wouldn’t be getting this attention without the “Indie cred” flag.

Come on your indie. Theres no need to look like you were made by a committee.

19. zombiehunter says:

this looks like some tasty epic awesome for indie production!

20. Shadowcat says:

Awesome production values. I love the voice acting — a bit of genuine character goes a very long way.

Am definitely keen to find out more.

21. Paul says:

Landshark Aliens are an awful idea.

22. Stuk says:

Ahh, so it turns out their new engine is http://unity3d.com/, the same one Blurst uses. Interesting. Will have to wait to see the actuall trailers before I can pass any real judgement.

23. lumpi says:

Indie schmindie… So it’s made by a studio not yet bought by EA, that doesn’t strike me as particularly “indie” yet. Big deal.

Looks good, though.

24. Alex says:

I hope the landsharks are just a mediocre joke.

25. Tei says:

I kind of like the space-sharks. IF the monsters move like in the intro, is a dynamic and fun enemy. Kinda like the “fiend” in Quake1.

Of course, It will be like hard to explain how a culture of Sharklike aliens withouth arms have created a space civilization.
    But who knows? maybe are genetically enginerred “pets”/”guardian”.

It will also be like fun, to play on levels where a 40% of the area is filled with water. ….

Why no? … aliens that need water, not air. Acuatic aliens. Much like these that live in the moon Europe here in our solar system.

Let me be the first to wellcome our new acuatic overlords!.

26. Ubiquitous says:

I’m quite surprised that someone has yet to point out the absolute gloriousness of the trailer’s statement: “The future of tomorrow is now.” It’s both ambiguous and meaningful enough to be a catchphrase and a discussion point!

27. Paul Moloney says:

Perhaps it’s a tribute to Plan 9 from Outer Space:

“Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.”

P.

28. Carey says:

Shirly the future of tomorrow’s next wednesday?

29. Klaus says:

Thanks Ubiquitous, I didn’t catch that and now it’s going to be on my mind for some amount of hours.

30. DrChi says:

Dudes, Space Land Sharks would be sweet as a minion-class. Esp if they use intelligent AI. Smart sharks are awesome, remember Deep Blue Sea? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Blue_Sea) It was like an update to Jaws and that engineered smart shark was sweet.
    Tei’s right. If you had to make your way through areas where there was a lot of water that’d be cool.

The actual Alien race could look like Mind-Flayers.

Also, I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with it being a “dark-metal-corridor-shooter” We haven’t really had a good one in a while. Doom 3 sucked, and though I love the Halo series the bright pink and purple everywhere is a little cliche.

31. megaman says:

I love the ED 209 :D
    The sharks look a bit out-of-place, but otherwise this looks like it could be a nice FPS. Looking forward to this!

32. DrChi says:

Yeah, they should throw Robocop in as a boss fight. ;)

33. Lunaran says:

> Come on your indie. Theres no need to look like you were made by a committee.

Exactly. They’re turning away major publishers … to make another goddamn game about space marines?

34. Man Raised By Puffins says:

Landsharks? Landsharks! Landsharks Landsharks Landsharks.

It’s perhaps worth noting that they’re supposed to be the “result of human experimentation” rather than oddly familiar alien beasties.

35. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Fail.

Everyone knows the only way to make a shark scarier is fusing it to an ICBM.

36. Heliocentric says:

If they were breeding sharks with say… kodiak bears I’d buy this… If its sharks and pandas they can go to hell.

Kodiaks are the only AAA bears, don’t let china tell you different.

37. Whelp says:

Looks so… generic.

Like that marine scene from the old 3DMark.

38. Klaus says:

Why not polar bears?

39. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Helio:
    That’s some thin ice you’re treading on there. To suggest that any bear other than Horace The Endless is the most divine ursine, in His temple of all places, why that’s tantamount to heresy!

40. caramelcarrot says:

“Changed their destinies forever”

I thought destinies were conceptually meant to be a static sort of thing.

41. Noc says:

Well, they are, until you change them. (Forever.)

42. The Innocent says:

So… was everybody here born on January 1 like me?

I for one think it looks cool if they pull it off right. The fact that they’re promising “non-linear game play and open ended level design” is awesome — thrice awesome if actually delivered.

On the other hand, they could use an editor. “Future of tomorrow”? “Changed their destinies forever”? Ick. If there’s one thing I can’t stand coming out of the indie scene, it’s the spelling/grammar/nonsensical statements.

43. Tei says:

“So… was everybody here born on January 1 like me?”

You mean, of 1900?

44. CdrJameson says:

It’s Sharks! It’s Crocodiles! It’s Sharks meets Crocodiles! It’s Sharkadiles!

45. Sajmn says:

On a completely unrelated note: someone should make Terra Nova:SFC the sequel it deserves! It also had space marines, but they were much cooler (see, it’s not off topic).

46. DSX says:

I suggest we pull back and download it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

47. Gap Gen says:

Looks good. Hopefully the aliens will be fun to fight (as opposed to, say, the Flood).

48. Benny says:

Good ol’ DoB checks letting us OAPs use this new fangled interweb malarky!

I don’t know what they really mean by tripple A indie, as all i can tell the difference between really good indie games and your usual mainstream AAA title is the budget. Are they saying they’re an indie game with lots of money pumped in? This old geriatric is confused :S

49. nikos says:

@Sajmn

Seconded!!! Terra Nova brings back many a happy memory…

50. F0nx says:

First off who ever said they hate indie games is a total troll, indie dev has been the real spirit of gaming from day 1 numnuts.

Now as far as this game goes I’m psyched to see its still alive, kudos to the dev’s for getting this far. Now as far as the land sharks go, they’re just about the most bad ass alien critter thing ever, my only grip is that I didn’t think of it first. I do have to say though that as an artist I’m really disappointed with the art direction on the marines. I get what they’re trying to do but instead of gritty I find that they come off as uninspiring and cheese, like a Saturday afternoon movie on the sci fi channel. Lets just hope its a case of gameplay over graphics (well art direction I suppose) kind of a situation.