Unto Two Worlds II, Too

By Jim Rossignol on July 3rd, 2009 at 8:44 pm.

First there was fantasy RPG Two Worlds and now there is two of it. Them. The announcement about the twoness of Two Worlds was made today, as TopWare Interactive and Reality Pump released this extraordinary sentence into the wild: ““Two Worlds II” presents a totally new gamer experience, one in which 2 years of intensive development has enabled quantum leaps in all spheres: completely overhauled AI and balancing standards, experienced authors, the active combat system and the brand-new engine all combine to provide an unforgettable experience where excitement, sheer enjoyment and graphics rule.”

Sheer enjoyment and graphics. Imagine that, if you can.

The game is set for a Winter 2009 release, and actually looks rather shiny.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Bhazor says:

Hey, I love graphics and enjoyment.

Only joking, graphics mean nothing to me. I am hard core.

2. leederkrenon says:

i quite liked the first one.

3. Larington says:

I rather enjoyed the first one, so I’m most interested to see how they’ve iterated on the design for the sequel.

4. Aphotique says:

I’m looking forward to it. I actually enjoyed the first one.

5. dorsch says:

2 worlds 1 cup

6. dorsch says:

Possible future pun headlines:
    - 2 worlds 1 cup

7. Okami says:

Excitement and sheer enjoyment? They might be on to something. More games should include those…

8. Thomas says:

Possible future pun Headlines:
    - Two Worlds, One Cup

9. LQB says:

Oh Two Worlds and your awkward voice acting, awful story, and really, really bad multiplayer. I regret that purchase oh so very much.

10. Chaz says:

Despite the crap story and the terrible acting, I actually quite enjoyed it. Although that was on a second try after it had gone through a whole load of patching.

11. MasterBoo says:

Sorry to interrupt with an off-topic, but how come the Trine-Obsessive-RPS haven’t reported yet that the game is out since this morning? :P

12. AndrewC says:

I am enjoying the hell out of Gothic 2 at the moment, which also has a bog standard story and some wobbly acting (and, to be honest, they are criticisms that can be levelled at any fantasy RPG), and, since they all seem to share the same faults, i’ve been trying to work out what it is that distinguishes the good rpg’s from the bad.

The only things i’ve been able to come up with for Gothic are that Gothic’s world actually feels like it hangs together (with the different factions actually seeming to inter-react with other as opposed to the ‘bubbles’ of indepenent adventure you get with Oblivion), that the world feels a bit more homely than in the self-consciously epic RPG’s (characters seem to be most at home in the pub, for example – it’s sort of the Miller’s Tale to Oblivion’s Knight’s Tale), and finally for the entirely irrational reason that I discovered Gothic for myself with no hype and so I feel like it is ‘mine’ and i’m all protective of it.

So, for the people who enjoyed Two Worlds – what’s it got that drew you in?

13. PleasingFungus says:

@MasterBoo: Perhaps the ones that would are busy playing it!

14. panik says:

@Thomas
    It wasn’t funny the first two times when you were dorsch

15. Susan says:

Thomas/dorsch:

Was it *really* necessary to post that three times?

16. Post Maker says:

Pretty much every individual aspect of Two Worlds was rubbish, but it the sort of rubbish that becomes incredible when put together.

17. PC Monster says:

Their website is shiny. :)

18. Carra says:

Pretty shiny stuff!

19. JohnArr says:

Was this the one with no character creator, or is that gothic? Massive flaw not being able to choose your appearance in a RPG.

20. Optimaximal says:

The question is, will they start sending court orders too innocents again when it doesn’t sell?

21. Finn says:

Gotta love when people misuse certain words; a “quantum leap” is, in real physics, the smallest change possible in a system, usually the most insignificant change.
    So, “2 years of intensive development” has enabled them to basically change noting significant… eheheheh.

*runs and hides laughing*

22. Finn says:

*nothing
    damn keyboard :|

23. damien says:

and here, i thought i was the only one that liked the first.

24. DarkFenix says:

Two Worlds was an awful game, failing to meet even the lowest standards of good game design in my opinion.

The voice acting was terrible, the story was boring and badly written, the balance was non-existent, the combat was repetitive (like most games, but you only notice when it’s particularly badly done, repetition of something good is forgivable) and the animation was fairly abysmal too.

Given what I expected from Two Worlds from pre-release coverage, it has to be in my top 10 most disappointing games of all time AND top 10 flat out worst games of all time.

25. Frans Coehoorn says:

Aye, forsooth, this is verily good news. Or mayhap it isn’t…

26. Pace says:

Finn; you seem to have misunderstood that phrase. It generally means a discontinuous jump in development, a ‘leap’ to something new without building up to it gradually. That is, they’re using it just fine.

-Internet correctness patrol.

27. Günter says:

I barely remember this game, save for some of the horrid reviews it earned.

28. Kevlmess says:

I haven’t actually played the first one but will this second game have music by Harold Faltermayer, too?

29. UK_John says:

The mighty $/£/Yen is taking over – 5 hour games for $20, 10 hour games for $50, Starcraft – 3 campaigns for $50, Starcraft II, 3 campaigns for over $100, and now we have an so-called RPG coming out called Alpha Protocol that even the developers say is a 25 hour game! A 25 hour RPG!!!! They sure do want us to spend more money and buy games more often! Isn’t happening in PC circles though,. is it?!

30. Andy says:

Will it have meat?

31. Finn says:

@Pace: I didn’t misunderstood it mate, you simply didn’t read my comment properly; I said ” a “quantum leap” is, in [b]real physics[/b]“; and yeah, the general (non-scientific) usage of the word is to mean a sudden leap forward which is the complete opposite.
    I did get it, I was just musing at how words/phrases can have different meanings shaped by their users.
    Yeah, I was bored… ;)

32. Gpig says:

Possible future pun headlines:
    2 worlds 1 cup

33. Pace says:

Finn; I can read, you implied the phrase was misused. My clue was the word “misuse”.

(with apologies to the RPS overlords, I’m done now.)

34. mister_d says:

Playing Two Worlds was a similar experience to swallowing your own vomit. It’s bad that it happened, but you can’t help it once it has. It’s an experience you don’t soon forget, and one that you won’t soon repeat. However, secretly you admit to yourself that it felt quite good.

35. BeamSplashX says:

I played the demo of Two Worlds on my friend’s 360. I didn’t give up until I had killed everyone in the town. I gave up when I realized killing the shady fellow in the robe was pretty much impossible, but it was pretty entertaining for that hour and a half or so I spent on it.

36. Caiman says:

Two Worlds looked great in previews. The game was a trainwreck. Two Words 2 looks great in previews. The game…??? Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.

37. MD says:

mister_d wins the ‘worst analogy I have ever heard, regarding anything, ever’ award. Kudos!

38. bhlaab says:

The fact that Two Worlds Two seems to be the official title tells you all you need to know about the game.

39. cowthief skank says:

Possible Future Pun Headlines:
    Two Worlds, One Cup

Hey everybody should join in, this is fun.

Regarding the game: Two Worlds I remember as being pretty fun for awhile but then, all of a sudden, becoming very tedious. But I don’t actually remember anything else about it. Was it the one where you could cobble together items until they were insanely powerful?

40. Larington says:

Planning to replay this one a bit because it bugs when I’m not sure why I’ve enjoyed a game.

41. Rich_P says:

Shiny is a bit of an understatement. I picture a lowly orc grunt pushing one a bowling alley lane polisher through the castle during off hours. (That actually sounds more fun than playing the original Two Worlds, the last open world RPG I tried playing. What a low note to leave on.)

42. Brulleks says:

Excellent stuff. Sheerly enjoyed the first one muchness, and it had graphics too.

Any game that lets me ride an undead horse is one that will make me happy.

43. Gutter says:

Two World? A good game? I bought it after finishing Fallout 3 on the 360, and I had already finished Oblivion, so Two World seemed like a great choice from the bargain bin.

I was disapointed to say the least.

44. Stu says:

If they reduce the Mod density a bit and add more variety to the encounters…well then I think they’ll have a much better game than the 1st.

And I’ll certainly play it longer ;)

45. unclelou says:

“Remember this was originally called ‘The Temptation’ and was going to be free to original owners!”

Unless I am very much mistaken, “The Temptation” was never meant to be free – it always was a sequel (or maybe an expandalon) that has now been rebranded.

46. Eisenhorne says:

I loved Two Worlds, I guess I was the 3% that “got it”. I liked the fast and mindless game play and all the loot. There was A LOT of loot and a recipe type system for assembling items. Lots of Easter eggs in levels especially inside the “tree of life” which I didn’t even know about until late in the game. I cant wait for the second game and I will definitely play it as much or more than the first. If you want to try the demo its very satisfying to cut through hundreds of enemies like butter then perform super power moves when it get tough.