New Peggle! Free Peggle! WoW Peggle!

By Alec Meer on July 8th, 2009 at 2:20 pm.

Oh, Peggle. I remember when you were just an innocent wee lad, our precious little boy, wouldn’t say boo to a goose. Now you’re out there in the big wide world, rubbing shoulders with the elite with nary a backwards glance. Just don’t forget that you’re still, you’re still Peggle from the block.

Yes, we’ve had Official Orange Box Peggle, Disappointingly Similar Sequel Peggle and Played Within World of Warcraft Peggle. Now we get, simply, World of Warcraft Peggle – 10 free, standalone bonus Peggle levels.

There’s a duel mode and some new super-hard (apparently) challenges, too. Now bad for a free’un, no?

Don’t expect any sweeping changes, as it seems to be primarily a promotional thinger for Full-Fat Peggle and WoW itself, but do expect more playful humour, now with added Leeroy Jenkins gags. And a Unicorn in Epic armour. Also, some new, official WoW art, made specifically to be WoW-Peggle’s level backdrops.

Yours for no-pennies and 13.4Mb from here.

, , , , .

1. Ian says:

Peggle: The REAL Raid Killer.

2. Lunaran says:

Casual games as advertisements for other games. Hm.

3. phil says:

WOW Peggles can get stuffed – Metric Peggles forever!

4. Taillefer says:

It’s PoWoW!

5. Optimaximal says:

Steam pls kthxbye?

6. Confidence Interval says:

Hooray!

7. Carra says:

The Peggle addon for WoW sure is fun. But it’s all the same thing, peggle. Gief new stuff!

8. TotalBiscuit says:

“Steam pls kthxbye?” – This bizarre obsession with having everything on Steam is like a new form of gaming OCD.

9. Heliocentric says:

Free peggle is the best kind of peggle. These mini expansions serve to remind me how mailed in the peggle level design was though. Peggle map editor kthnx.

10. cullnean says:

HOGGER LVL!

11. Mr Tired says:

Dirge

12. MrBejeebus says:

Am I the only person that dislikes Peggle? I own Peggle Deluxe but it all seems a bit samey…

Morph says:

Yes you are.

Peggle!

14. Heliocentric says:

@bejee

Don’t get me wrong, peggle is not a good game, but as person with an addictive personality i find many game terrible slogs for a reward, peggle is all reward. Peggle is like your stupid friend who only ever talks about football(for example). He’s not even knowledgable on the subject, but he’s relaxing to talk to and highly positive.

15. JonFitt says:

185 years ago Ludwig van predicted a game that would unite the world and wrote music that he hoped might one day be used to celebrate success in this game.
    That’s how good Peggle is.

16. Feintlocke says:

I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with your terminology.

13.4Mb? How many peggles is that?

17. Skalpadda says:

Heliocentric, that’s the best description of Peggle I’ve ever read. Well done :)

18. Benjamin Ferrari says:

I wonder what happened to peggle’s android port . It was announced for april or so, but it never went life.

19. Theory says:

They nerfed ball speed PEGGLE RUINED GG POPCAP!!!!

20. Clovis says:

I immediately thought, “I hope this is on Steam.” I’m not sure why. I own many games in Steam and so I now use the “favorites” as my “games I haven’t finished yet, but intend to finish list.” So, when a game is not on Steam I now need to add it (as a non-Steam game) just so it shows up in that list. Doing this is a pain. Doing this is also kinda’ retarded.

Now if they added some PeggleWoW achievements….

(also, secretly, I don’t love Peggle; I once got dressed down by an Alec for questioning what was so great about it)

21. Theory says:

Or QQ MOAR, as Jimmy would put it.

22. Jazmeister says:

I think peggle is boring. I do appreciate the accolades of reward when you win, though. Just the way I like to be manipulated.

23. drewski says:

Well, that was entertainingly free.

24. Tei says:

@Clovis: You can run external applications with Steam. I did with the notepad.exe renaming it TF2.exe before TF2 was released just for the LuLz of it.

25. Captain Haplo says:

So, they combine the gameplay of the famously casual Peggle with the art and trappings of the famously hardcore World of Warcraft.

What sort of heresy is this? D:

26. Gotem says:

what i wonder iswhy there is not peggle for WiiWare, i guess it would be a huge seller

27. LionsPhil says:

WoW? Hardcore? I’m not sure that can be applied to a game with celebrity endorsements on TV. Save it for the arcane military sims where the manual is thick enough to stop HEAT rounds dead.

28. JonFitt says:

Nooo, not the hardcore argument.

Quick, someone find out what kind of DRM that new game over there is going to use.

29. Vinraith says:

Huh, someone finally came up with a variety of Peggle I have no interest in playing. WoW taint trumps Peggle fun, without this little experiment I’d never have known that.

30. nabeel says:

PEGGLE D:

31. Okami says:

hardcore vs casual is sooooo 2007…

32. MacBeth says:

Hmm. I did play Peggle Deluxe to completion (well, all the Challenges anyway, but not 100%-ing all the levels, my gaming-OCD isn’t nearly bad enough to grind through that) but that was enough really. I have other puzzle games to play in short bursts. Before Peggle was Lumines and Bejeweled, after Peggle was Plants Vs Zombies… I will move on to something new rather than go back to Peggle… you can’t go back… you can never go back…

Also, I am a WoW-hater so I couldn’t possibly appear to endorse it even by playing a game that people play while playing WoW so they don’t have to play WoW while they are playing WoW.

33. Xercies says:

I hate Peggle and WoW so this game must be a spawn of the devil for me…

34. Flint says:

God I love this.

35. Psychopomp says:

I actually started a WoW trial *just for new peggle-ling.*

So I blame peggle on my 4+ hour a day habbit.

36. phat_chopps says:

Sitting on the loo + netbook + Peggle = Heaven

That’s maths, right there.

37. Wulf says:

@Heliocentric

That analogy is more than a bit flawed, in regards to people and Peggle.

The thing is, it sounds like you’ve already assumed that that friend is stupid, and maybe because you try to lower yourself to his assumed level of stupid, by observation he’s assumed that you are, and is watering things down to you. I’ve found that many people whom, at first, might appear stupid just tend to think on a different wavelength to the average, and rather unimaginative spod. The problem is, I’d have to say that — like yourself — most never bother to find out.

That person could be brilliantly creative, an artist, or know a lot about another topic that they just don’t talk to you about because you treat them like an idiot, things they keep from you because they feel you might be more comfortable that way, too good natured to break the illusion and all that. And I’ve known a lot of people who are actually like that.

It stands to reason then that Peggle might also be like that, and lo and behold, it is. There’s real depth to Peggle, but you’ve not seen it because Peggle is easy to be around, it’s comforting to be stupid around Peggle because it won’t chastise you for that, but the thing is, you’ve assumed that’s all there is to Peggle, it’s not that Peggle is shallow, but that you want Peggle to be shallow.

Whereas, if one were to scratch the surface, Peggle is a game with quite a good deal of depth, try defeating an entire stage with just one ball and getting 100,000 as the end reward, now that takes sharp wits to be able to plan it out and anticipate the movement of the ball, and there are recordings out there which prove that it can be done, and that indeed, people have done it.

Peggle can be played as a stupid man’s game, but it doesn’t mean that Peggle has to be a stupid man’s game. What it does mean is that with Peggle you can set your own goalposts, be they an inch fromt he ball, or many feet away. And the same is probably true of this stupid friend of yours.

And this is a flaw in humanity as a whole, they’ll take things at face value without actually bothering to dig to find out whether what they see at first is true or not, they’ll go by first impressions alone and those will stick with them as the primary overriding factor of their view of… well, anything. Games, the World around them, and even people.

The ancient axiom of don’t judge a book by its cover exists for a reason, it’s a shared wisdom to remind us not to fall prey to this form of perception, always be prepared to dig a little deeper than what you see at first, lest you’re never really going to know the true nature of anything. Not even Peggle.

38. Psychopomp says:

Wulf

You just became my favorite person

39. eq plat says:

Woohoo! This means that I no longer need to leave Azeroth to play Peggle and it’ll keep me occupied while waiting for everyone to gather at the raid entrance. I like the fact the I can play on Duel mode and I’m pretty sure that Blizzard artists did an awesome job on the new backgrounds.

40. Rei Onryou says:

@phat_chopps: You sir, have turned shitting into an achievement!

41. Bear says:

The unicorn creeps me out.
    It’s eyes pierce into the deepest corners of my soul.
    It’s even more scary than the creepy statue behind it.
    That is awesome.

42. mrrobsa says:

I came back to this thread just to say how much I was enjoying the design of these new levels (not the WOW backdrops, I’m not a WOW addict luckily) but now I see there is a Peggle backlash! I thought Peggle-love was a prerequisite to posting here! Personally, I love Peggle, but that’s because it makes me feel like Charlie in the chocolate factory except with magic physics and bright colours instead of a chocolate lake and lickable wallpaper.

43. Sevrokyhall says: