Whirr-Stomp Resurrection: Mechwarrior

By Jim Rossignol on July 9th, 2009 at 10:54 am.

It’s back after a seven year hiatus. IGN has the full scoop, and they report that developers Piranha Games have some ambitious plans, including 4-player co-op. They’re also going to try and make the full range of mechs significant within the game via recon and intelligence missions: “it’s not just a race to the heaviest, most powerful mechs. The designers want to reward you for picking a mech and sticking with it — you will gain experience and become better at piloting your chosen mech, and that will translate into better accuracy and damage with weapon systems. This way, a player could specialize in a light mech throughout the entire game if they choose. It also means there are multiple playthroughs with different mechs.” No release date as yet.

Lengthy CG -but-clearly-target trailer below.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Aldo says:

Huh, and I only just threw out my old MW2:Mercenaries CD….

2. Larington says:

Actually, I think this is one type of game that could survive a console transition relatively intact, IE, with minimal feedback on the design of the PC version. I’m massively looking forward to this, if they can also implement a mission editing tool of ArmaII quality (Umm, I say that not having played ArmaII) then it’ll be an utter joygasm for me.

3. Dominic White says:

Just reminding people that the 360 pad has four full analogue axes, two half-axes, and 14 buttons to play with. That is [i]plenty[/i] for a Mechwarrior game.

4. Dominic White says:

Bah, wrong italic tags. Curse you, lack of edit function!

Dr.Evanzan says:

On a slightly less MechWarrior-based note, is it just me or does the onboard computer sound like GLaDOS?

“TARget desTROYed… thERE will BE… CAKE”

6. RogB says:

As much as i like stompy robot games, battletech have always had -utter shit- mech designs.. truly terrible. The game ittself i’m quite excited about since there hasnt been enough mech action recently on PC, but I just know i’m going to be sick in my mouth when I see things like a badly designed mech with a SKULL FOR A HEAD.

7. kevinn says:

Agree with Larington, a robust mission editor for the “PC platform” would be great.

Say, defend against a full-scale Kurita invasion on your city with just 7 Urbanmechs. :D

8. Thingus says:

Cover? Bah! When did mechs ever use cover? (This attitude may be the reason I’m no good at mech games.)
    I actually enjoyed Lone Wolf, having only played the sim games when I was 6, and not really understanding what was going on. But this looks like it could be my big, stompy cup of tea :D

9. kevinn says:

@RogB
    I reckon you like Gundam-style robots?

10. Noc says:

RogB, the thing that bugs me about Battletech isn’t the designs, it’s the naming conventions. I mean, there’s a mech called the [i]”Awesome,”[/i] and it’s [b]not[/b] the one with a SKULL FOR A HEAD. This baffles and confuses me.

In other news, I just reinstalled and have been stomping about with Mechwarrior 4 the since the other day, and was just thinking that “Man, they haven’t made one of these in forever.” And then BAM. Consider myself enthused.

11. Noc says:

. . . oops, tag fumble.

12. scopie says:

HOORAY!!!!!!!! I’ve been wishing for MW5 for YEARS!!! PLEASE just make it MW4/MERCS with more missions, mechs and better graphics!!!!!

13. theleif says:

@mrmud
    Timberwolf? Nah, just an inferior Marauder with Catapult complex.

14. Trollwind says:

@mrmud
    I gotta side with theleif on this one. The clan mechs are cool, but they don’t have the same appeal as an IS mech patched together from parts salvaged on the battlefield. I like my big stompy bots to be antiques.

15. Kynes says:

Not sure what there is to be excited about here. Given from what we know, it’s pretty safe to assume that this will not in the least be the mechwarrior 5 we’re looking for. Multiplat and done by the same devs who did the transformers 2 game? Yea, I doubt we’ll be seeing anything resembling a sim here. I’m sure it will be a good fun boom boom game, but it won’t be mechwarrior.

16. Zyrxil says:

So I wake up and the Internet has become stupid non-cynical. Sorry to break it to you, but the game will be awful. Mechwarrior is no longer a big license, and Piranha are the no-name guys who made the Transformers 2 game. Oh, your little arguments about fictional universe accuracy and proper combat tactics, they matter so little to them.

mpk says:

@scopie

But MW4 was terrible! Every fight degenerated into circle strafing at five paces.

18. RogB says:

@kevinn, not necessarily. While I quite like some of the more extreme easter ones (Virtual On ones are quite nice, but you are basically playing a FPS with humans)

I like my mechs to be more reality based, and to look functional. Essentially a power suit with the aesthetics of an Apache gunship or a Leopard tank. :)
    Front Mission wanzers are usually quite nice:

I also like non biped ones:

and of course, metal gear Rex

19. Quine says:

As long as the Sexy Lady Voice tells me the ambient temperature as everything starts up I’ll give it a chance…

20. Black Mamba says:

Zyrxil did you even bother to read the interview at IGN, one of the creators of battletech is working on it so claims that it’s rubbish before its even shipped are unfair.

This is a remake of the original Mechwarrior game with a similar plot, family murdered must get revenge.

It’s also set in 3015 which means no clans.

They did drop the name of the Wolf Dragoons though who were clan spies sent to recon the inner sphere posing as a mercenary company so you could see some special mechs.

21. viper34j says:

(Sexy robot lady voice go!) Light Amplification Enabled, Light Amplification Disabled.

22. meeper says:

23. kevinn says:

Aside from Jordan, I hope other BT authors would chime in.

Thinking about it… I don’t think the Unreal Engine is capable enough to raze an entire city to dust when 2 Lances of mechs duke it out.

24. Heliocentric says:

King crab is IS and is fucking awesome. 1% it’ll be in this game though.

25. Aldo says:

I don’t think the Transformers 2 game will have any bearing on the quality or gameplay of this; after all, it (T2) is made to a strict time budget above all else to synch up with the movie, not to mention that movie games are presumably designed to sell on the basis of the license. It’s obviously not a great comparison, but Travellers Tales managed to make some pretty well-regarded Lego games whilst vomiting out the first Transformers game, didn’t they?

26. ilves says:

woot! loading up my marauder with twin PPCs. Timber wolves are great as well. I still remember the original mechwarrior game… I loved the semi-free aspect of that you could go where you wanted to and do missions when/where you wanted. If its anything like that I’ll be stoked.

27. ilves says:

also, if you can eject and then actually run around the environment, maybe try to meet up with your teammates and get into a mech again, that would be great. As much as I want this to be a full on mech game, even getting out once or twice for mission specific reasons wouldn’t be so bad.

28. Vykromod says:

@Meeper:
    “I thought there was a legal issue with using the unseen mechs (of which the Warhammer is one). It certainly looks like its been sorted out though!”

There was, as I mentioned a few weeks back when there was a story about a BattleTech based mod for something (I forget what).

As you guess, not ethe past tense there. Since then, Catalyst Game Lab, the people in charge of the board game (a separate license from the electronic rights) have published an announcement that they are once again able to use the Unseen (as the legally-troubled ‘Mechs became known). I don’t see how the timing on this can be coincidental. Setting a MW in 3015 and *not* having them just wouldn’t work. There’s either been some co-ordination between Catalyst and Smith & Tinker, or Catalyst have just benefitted from someone else’s deal. Either way, I’m not complaining.

29. TCM says:

<3 Mechwarrior.

30. The Fanciest of Pants says:

Oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god.

Please let this be good.

31. kronos says:

One of the few games that shaped my childhood. Nice to have it back.

Although the trailer lacks a certain punch. I’ve always been annoyed at how getting hit by missiles produced so little recoil unless you were in a light mech.

32. Zyrxil says:

That’s not a point in favor of Piranha at all. Even if they had with a strict budget, it’s completely their fault that the gameplay design is shit. Short deadline can be blamed for bugs and lack of polish, not “Couldn’t come up with any good ideas in a year” or “Couldn’t arrive at the conclusion gameplay should be based around robots beating up other robots, not racing”.

Traveler’s Tales just proves the point further. The Transformers games are done by studios that have absolutely no imagination. The Lego games are absolutely all the same. They just got lucky with a novel concept.

33. PleasingFungus says:

I am pretty excited! Man, this brightened my morning.

34. mujadaddy says:

If you can build-your-own weapons loadout, this will be good. You can extrapolate the other case.

35. Optimaximal says:

IIRC, Pirahna merely assisted Luxoflux with Transformers 2, probably just doing assets and stuff – they weren’t the main developers.

36. Rei Onryou says:

Somebody has been listening to our prayers! It’s been too long since Jim’s been able to write about big stompy robot action.

37. Dominic White says:

Okay, here’s something cool beyond words:

“http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/2009/07/09/mechwarrior-to-be-distributed-free-on-battletech-com/

MechWarrior to be Distributed Free on BattleTech.com

In honor of BattleTech’s 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com—the free download will be available soon!”

In short, the best Mechwarrior 4 modding crew out there – the Mektek team, who have been supporting MW4 and MW4: Mercs all these years, are now being allowed to distribute both games and their official expansions along with any Mektek-developed addons for free on the official Battletech site.

This is totally rad.

38. EyeMessiah says:

I loved Earthsiege, and MW2 & 3. MW3 was my favourite. I loved being stranded and trying to protect that little command vehicle, and scavenging for parts and chassis. Bring on the robots, I say.

39. ChampionHyena says:

MASC ENGAGED

This is all good news. All of it. New pay Mechwarrior and old free Mechwarrior. Outstanding.

Speaking of free BattleTech crap, I’d strongly advise any of you to try out MegaMek at megamek.sourceforge.net. It’s a lot of fun. Maybe we could get an online multiplayer thing going here at RPS.

40. Andy says:

Mechwarrior 2 has a very warm place in my heart. If I was writing one of these “Gaming Made Me” columns about myself Mechwarrior 2 would be basically all I talked about.

41. Him says:

It won’t be the hardcore giant robot simulation that I still hanker after, but that hasn’t stopped me from having a tiny joygasm at work.

42. Caveat says:

Not even 2 weeks ago I replayed Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries. Can’t wait for this to come out, I have very high hopes. Haven’t been this excited in a long time.

43. ChampionHyena says:

Crap, where did my avatar go?

44. Thranx says:

I heart. I could not contain my joy when I saw that foot pound into view on that really short teaser earlier this week.

Please do not fail us. And also, could we have a Steel Batalion-eqse controller? K thanks.

45. gryphon says:

yes please be good..

if the people developing it love the BT universe at all there should be some great old ground to cover with shinier. better looking mechs than ever.

add in some of the gameplay from MW2 MW3 plus Battlezone2 then a perfect game could happen… BZ2 and 1 had great control over the map. You could dive into the biggest rig or command the action back from the antenae.

find a pilot on the battlefield who’s better in your rig than you, hop out give it to him and direct the action while you order a new mech hot dropped to you, or finish the mission in an APC or Tank… salvaging mechs in Mechcommander2 was fun..

also, live actors adding to the storyline are awesome even when they aren’t good.. cheese please, Mechcommander1 intro vid or HeavyGear the whole game had bad acting breaks which were fun. watch them, learn…

make this good and you will sell zillions like I’m sure MW3 and 4 have done.. we’ve waited so long for a proper treatment of this universe..

46. wcaypahwat says:

I may in fact go and watch the BT television series now…

47. DMJ says:

You had me at “giant stompy robots”.

48. Spectre-7 says:

[killjoy mode one]

Although the video says in-game footage I really strongly believe it should say in-engine footage. The entire scenario is pretty obviously scripted, and nothing I’ve read leads me to believe they’ve even reached first playable yet. If you read the interview at IGN, you might notice that they never mention anything about features already implemented–except one brief aside about a shader effect that they are adding to the cockpit–and they frequently mention how things in the trailer aren’t necessarily indicative of their design direction (the HUD for instance).

This game has some potential, but right now it’s not even a fully fleshed out design yet. It’s a lot of good ideas, and a video primarily intended to get the fan-base amped up so they can get a publisher (and some much needed funding) interested.

All my conjecture and all that jazz, of course.

49. hun23 says:

My first PC game was MechWarrior 2 when I was ~5 years old. I remember just having fun blowing different Mechs up, always using the cheats since my ~5 year old mind could not understand tactics. Too bad my MechWarrior 2 “Pentium” Edition does not work with Vista (Not the DOS-based version)

50. Andy says:

I hope the voice acting isn’t as bad in the finished game as it is in this trailer.