Whirr-Stomp Resurrection: Mechwarrior

By Jim Rossignol on July 9th, 2009 at 10:54 am.

It’s back after a seven year hiatus. IGN has the full scoop, and they report that developers Piranha Games have some ambitious plans, including 4-player co-op. They’re also going to try and make the full range of mechs significant within the game via recon and intelligence missions: “it’s not just a race to the heaviest, most powerful mechs. The designers want to reward you for picking a mech and sticking with it — you will gain experience and become better at piloting your chosen mech, and that will translate into better accuracy and damage with weapon systems. This way, a player could specialize in a light mech throughout the entire game if they choose. It also means there are multiple playthroughs with different mechs.” No release date as yet.

Lengthy CG -but-clearly-target trailer below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Worked There says:

Don’t expect much from Piranha. Look at their past games, you’ll see.

2. Dominic White says:

Some additional info on the Mechwarrior 4 freeware re-launch:

It’ll be an all-in-one installer, containing the MW4 and the Vengeance, Black Knight and Mercenaries campaigns, the two official Mech Packs, the latest Mektek-developed addon (major rebalancing, dozens of new/variant mechs, tons of new techs and weapons), and a hojillion standalone missions and multiplayer maps.

There’s also an update in development that’ll reintroduce all the high-end features from Mechwarrior 3, like C3 Master/Slave computers, electric warfare, directional jumpjets and more.

It sounds like the MekTek team have access to the original source-code now, and are doing big things.

3. me, ehem. says:

Nice to see that Bitchin Betty’s still around in the grim far future of the human race.

4. Serondal says:

Wow, that is a huge update ! I am very excite!

5. Thranx says:

@Dominic White
    Excellent. Good news all around. Hope the “soon” in which we’re supposed to see it is actually real-time soon and not development schedule soon. :)

6. Zyrusticae says:

For the record, Piranha are a largely untested company. They’ve got basically no games on their resume, only being credited with some art assets for the Transformers 2 game.

I’ll be looking forward to more details about this, but I remain cautiously optimistic, for now.

7. GothikX says:

Whew, almost choked on my coffee when I read Piranha, thought Piranha Bytes would do Mechwarrior.

8. JonFitt says:

A Mechwarrior touched me in my special place long ago.

The video looked like what I want to see in a new game, but one thing bugged me:
    The guy was dodging behind buildings (which would vastly improve the old run in circles and blat each other tactics), but there’s no way you could do that with the old tank style controls. Turning 180 took ages and most likely you’d just end up walking sideways into the building you were trying to get behind.

I really want a Mechwarrior game where recon, sensors and comms are an important part of gameplay.

9. Worked There says:

@Zyrusticae:

No, they’ve been around 6 years and shipped plenty of titles. The problem is that they were all crap. I’m not happy about MW being with them.

10. Grey_Ghost says:

One of the few reasons I owned a Joystick in my MS-DOS days were the Mechwarrior games. Had a lot of fun with MW2 and it’s expansions. Similarly enjoyed MW3 & Pirates Moon, but MW4 was simply trash in my mind. It’s control scheme was a brick wall I just could not get past.

MW3 (especially it’s Demo) had excellent mouse controls. The way the demo handled torso twisting, with integrated sounds was just awesome. I never understood why they dropped that from the retail game. Instead you could just whip the torso around at breakneck speeds. 8(

So I guess my point is…don’t totally screw up the controls! I really don’t want to need to buy any Joysticks or Gamepads to enjoy a Mechwarrior game either!

11. Gwyd says:

Oh hell yes!!!, so many fond memories of the old Mechwarrior games.

12. theanorak says:

Yes. Yeeessssssssssss.

I, too, reccently dusted off the old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 for some MW4:Mercs play. And now it seems I’ll be able to a) play without a cd in the drive etc, and b) look forward to a new’un? Lovely.

I do hope the Mektek-hosted free MW4 etc works out ok though. In the past, Mektek (or some elements of it, at least) had an … interesting … attitude to the rest of the MW community. I do hope they’re a little more welcoming these days — or all the release of free MW4 will do is save a few players of old from hunting out the install disks.

13. Torgen says:

I’ll by dusting off my HOTAS for this, for sure!

14. Zyrusticae says:

@Worked There

That should’ve said “recent” games. Their last big release was Need For Speed Undercover. That doesn’t really give me much in the way of what to expect from them doing a Mechwarrior game.

Not that I really care. I’m ambivalent about Battletech in general.

15. Erlam says:

Oh My God, Please include the Urbanmech.
    Oh My God, Please include the Urbanmech.
    Oh My God, Please include the Urbanmech.
    Oh My God, Please include the Urbanmech.
    Oh My God, Please include the Urbanmech.

16. postmanX3 says:

Words cannot describe my happiness. Except maybe GLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

17. postmanX3 says:

Whoa, what happened to my comment? The spacing is all weird and such.

18. Jambe says:

@Dominic White: I love you.

19. Worked There says:

@Zyrusticae

Ya, you can’t count the EA games because other than do the programming, Piranha management and “design” is hands off on them. The EA games they’ve done have done pretty well – EA does all of the production and design themselves, it’s like they rented a studio. :)

20. Fedora Freak says:

Looks like they’re going a bit Steel Battalion on this – obviously not to the extent of the controller, but with the cockpit view and the eject sequence…

Which is awesome.

21. Kommissar Nicko says:

Dear Developer of MW5,

Look at it this way kid: you get to keep allllll the money.

Your former commander,
    Colonel Holly Harris

22. Kong says:

My childhood daydreams have become a virtual reality.
    Makes getting old worthwile.

23. RogB says:

heres a thought. How ‘Simmy’ do you think the controls will be? will they bow to modern gamers by making all mechs have strafe and conform to the ‘industry standard’ FPS controls? (so you are basically left with a FPS on a physically larger scale)
    i’d prefer a more old-school approach, but thats like admitting i’d like it ‘less accessible’ which sounds a bit elitist. okay yes, it is elitist. Hopefully it would deter the CoD and Halo kiddies!

24. Bear says:

Giant robots blowing shit up?
    Count me in

25. Howard says:

Very pleased indeed to hear this series is coming back. I do have one, pretty obvious, concern tough: Has there been any info indicating that this is anything other than a 360 game? I can see no mention of PC anywhere…

26. Larington says:

From the IGN article linked in the RPS article up above:
    “The game is being developed for the PC and the Xbox 360, though there isn’t any idea of a release date yet, since the game is still in the middle of development and the companies are still talking to publishers.”

27. Dominic White says:

And a little more good news regarding Mechwarrior 4s return.

At launch, it’ll be much the same game(s) as it used to be, give or take a few tweaks. Once Mektek release their 4th fan-expansion, things will change, and everything will be unified, so you’ll be able to buy/equip previously multiplayer-only tech and mechs for your lance.

Dunno about you, but doing the Vengeance campaign with a squad of King Crabs just tickles my fancy.

28. c0wb0ys7y13 says:

Oh my, I think I just messed my pants. Their is a 100% chance of me both buying and making love to this game.

29. Rusty says:

2 whoops for MW5 and MW4 re-release. MW2 Merenaries is the only game (only MW game that is..) I played right through but it was totally splendid.

I rememeber seeing the CGI intro for MW2 in Virgin Megastores (if it was even called that then?) and being totally awe struck.

30. scorchedMIRTH says:

*prays it won’t be simplified for console use, and it remains a PC exclusive*

prays I remain elitist and fail to see where gaming is heading and that console support helps developers achieve wider audiences that will help future projects such as this one.

31. Thranx says:

I’m the proud owner of a steel battalion controller (in perfect shape for only 40USD!). I shall go forth and play some MW2/3 and 4 when it’s free (’cause that’s all it’s worth sadly) with 2 sticks, a throttle, pedals and 40 buttons! The way mech controllers should be!!!

I hope the new MW buttons will map well to the controller.

32. undead dolphin hacker says:

Better have Elementals and they better play exactly like Tribes and be exactly to scale so you can jump up on some Atlas’s shoulder and… well that’s as far as my strategy has gone so far.

33. Mixmastermind says:

Silly Ghost thought he could take on an Atlas. That’s pretty much the point in which you run away.

34. Railick says:

@Undead Dolphin Hacker – Plant a det pack in between the Atlas’s neck and shoulders to blow its head off?

35. Tem says:

I… I… I think.. I think I… We’ll that’s …

*sniff* It’s so beautiful. Free MW4… MW5 in production…. It’s…

It’s… It’s just wonderful. Even screwed as far as it was, MW4 was the best multiplayer I’ve ever played, when I played in a clan.

36. Chaz says:

The CG trailer looks pretty spiffy. Mechwarrior was always my favourite mech series. Never could get into those silly jap ones where they fly around with giant swords. Here’s hoping they make it similar to Mechwarrior 2&3.

37. Dominic White says:

@Chaz – Unlike Battletech, where they fly around with giant axes! Unfortunately, due to the Mechwarrior games deciding that mechs should handle exactly like tanks, all the punching, kicking and tackling have been lost.

It makes the Atlas a very sad mech, as it has these huge robot arms with huge robot fists that can never, ever be used.

38. Dominic White says:

And this is how that trailer should have gone:

That Atlas was at point blank range, but kept its arms locked completely at its sides. Why? Why does it even HAVE arms!?

39. Deuteronomy says:

Although I have fond memories of MechWarrior 2, I would have to pick Heavy Gear for my remake wishlist.

Comment on this story