The Men Who Fell To Earth: Section 8 Diary

By Jim Rossignol on July 10th, 2009 at 8:14 pm.

More action from Section 8‘s armoured dudes as they come crashing down from space in this new developer diary. Lots of in-game footage, and lots of chatter from the developers about loadouts, customisation, movement, and all that robo-jazz. This one is looking more and more interesting as time goes on. If the game is smooth and balanced when it hits, I suspect we might be in for a small pleasure.

1. suibhne says:

I’m in the beta and have tried repeatedly to join servers, but the overall network architecture seems really dodgy right now. Lots of “Server already full” messages once you’ve been loading for 30 seconds, and “Connection to host lost” after sitting at an even longer generic “waiting” screen.

I want to at least get to know the game a bit before I totally dismiss it. Sigh.

2. BobbyBob says:

I’m in the exact same boat suibhne. I’ve been in the beta for close to a week now, but have yet to be able to join a game. I’ve even had to force quit it after several minutes of staring at a loading screen. I’m pretty close to just totally dismissing it, but I know what you mean about wanting to get to know it. It looks pretty good.

I just wish I could actually play the damn thing.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

Did they totally oversubscribe the beta or something?

4. BobbyBob says:

@Jim: As far as I can tell, no. There always seem to be multiple completely empty servers there, and there are rarely ones that are completely full when I go on, always 27/32 or thereabouts. Looks like its just poor netcode.

5. Jim Rossignol says:

Man, how are people still get netcode wrong now? I mean come on.

6. CogDissident says:

Also, driving a tank is basically how you get yourself kicked from a server. 5 instances of team-damaging over a period of time and you get kicked. If you “bump” into a single player, its quite likely that you’ll bump them 2-3 times. If you hit a player with one of the tank-cannon’s large shells, thats another one. So bump one player, and get one player cought in the blast radius, and you’re an inch away from being booted from the server.

7. CJohnson03 says:

It’s alright. Might get old pretty fast though, there’s no persistant anything, no unlocks, every match resets your “money” that you use to buy tanks and structures. It’s fun for a little while, but there’s only two vehicles, no flying, simple weapons… I’m not terribly impressed so far.

8. CMaster says:

The drop in ability, the flying armoured suits, the brightly-coloured sci-fi yet millitary tactics setup. It looks very Planetside. Not that this is a bad thing necessarily.

9. Messiah Complex says:

I still don’t know what I’m doing, but it seems to take forever to put enough lead in someone to kill them. Overall, it plays a lot like ET:QW.

10. autogunner says:

@CogDissident – thats why they are ahving the beta right? so they can find out these issues? shame about the netcode though

11. Bret says:

Dangit.

Whenever I hear section 8, my first thought is “Bueno. Bueno…”

Folowed by the yipping of welded dogs. This is not a pleasant series of mental image

12. Forak says:

They really copied everything I see in that trailer directly from Planetside. From the way load outs are done to the whole concept of burn-in. Even the graphical style is similar. They copied all that but failed to make it an MMO, have a progression system or even epic scale in the fights? rather disappointing..

13. eyemessiah says:

I want a sniper rifle and a shotgun. The lack of persistence and unlocks is actually I draw for me. As is the tribes2yness.

14. Spectre-7 says:

Strange. I’m in the beta as well, but have had very little trouble joining games. I’d be lying if I said it never glitched, but any problems I’ve encountered have easily been less than 1/10th of the time.

Also, the friendly-fire issues with tanks are being addressed. Check the newest patch if you haven’t already.