Develop ’09: VG247 Vs Mr Jones On APB

By Jim Rossignol on July 16th, 2009 at 4:13 pm.

Internet info-king Pat Garratt of VG247 has bagged an interview with APB mastermind – the man who created the GTA series – Dave Jones. The Realtime Worlds bossman talked at length about the mechanics of the game, and even has a few words about the GTA series. You can watch it below.

APB, in case you weren’t paying attention, is a forthcoming 100-man online gang combat game set in a contemporary city, and one of the most intriguing developments in the MMO space for several years. It was also, if our own John Walker’s account is to be believed, the most exciting game shown at E3. You probably want to watch this one, eh? (In other Develop news, Kieron says: “The Unreal Flesh Engine sex stuff is the best stuff of the show. I couldn’t believe it. Bosoms will never be the same again.”)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. schizoslayer says:

Lets be honest we all want to see a video of digital flesh engine technology rather than a middle aged man.

2. cliffski says:

So kids will now be joining virtual online gangs. I wonder how the daily mail will react?

3. mrrobsa says:

If I understood Dave correctly, it sounds like they’re leaning towards a one-off payment for the game rather than a subscription model, which would make me much more interested since I’m not a fan of games with payment plans.
    Good interview.

4. The Hammer says:

That was quite a good interview, and indeed, if it’s a one-off payment, colour me more interested than what I was! Very interesting answers all round, and he comes off as a good bloke.

5. aufi says:

while it definitely appears a traditional subscription model is out, i would expect some of sort of continuing pay-for-content model down the road, be it modular/chapter based or whatever.

a good thing, too.

6. AlexW says:

One-off payment? With THAT character creator? SOLD. Watching the video now.

7. Black Mamba says:

Good interview also liked the one off payment method, plus it can be played a single player only with enforcer/gang players against players of their own strength.

What I also thought was pretty cool was Jones said GTA Vice City was the pinnacle of the GTA series in what he saw it’s core as, couldn’t agree more.

8. cyrenic says:

I am very interested to see what exact business model they’re going to use for APB.

To clarify things a bit, while they aren’t going the monthly subscription route, they are going to have to support server maintenance and customer support with something other than just box sales. So I think saying it’s a “One-off” payment is inaccurate.

They’ve thrown the word “microtransactions” around, but with all the content creation tools they already have they might be able to actually do something novel with microtransactions. One route I could maybe see them going would be for players to be able to sell created content (logos, clothing, whatever) to other players and then Real Time Worlds would take a portion of that payment. Copyright concerns and how much income that would actually make would be obvious issues.

I think in game advertising will be likely. It fits the setting just fine and I don’t mind it as long as they’re not obnoxious.

All that said the game sounds interesting and I’m really looking forward to checking it out. They keep reiterating the concept of players as content, which I’m all for. And using asymmetrical matchmaking to compensate for player skill/advancement sounds like a great idea.

9. Motherpuncher says:

So far I will be very happy to buy this when it comes out. Hopefully it will be very different from what the mmo market is offering and will have a strong player base. I like what he said about GTA.

10. little grilly says:

is this the online necromunda game we’ve all been waiting for?

11. Broken Tooth Koi says:

There’s no point to a turf war on shifting sands.

12. Noc says:

I am gratified to see a “developer interview” video that is actually an interview with a developer rather than a bunch of guys standing around spouting back-of-the-box points between segments of trailer footage.

13. Lewis says:

Man, those boob physics were awesome.

I heard some idiot did a hastily (un)prepared rant about some games-journalism buzzword too. What the fuck was that all about?

14. Bluto says:

Sounds like sound chap, I’m really looking forward to ABP – I just hope that on 100 man servers there will be room* for the casual gamer (me) to drop in only a couple of times a week, I don’t really have the time to for more than a couple of hours a week…

* I mean, I hope the hardcore won’t be terrifically annoyed that one of the characters on a size limited server is only on a couple of hours a week…

15. Bluto says:

Zoiks! erm… APB even :-/

16. Jetsetlemming says:

million plus initial players expected, but 100 man servers? How are you supposed to pick out individual cities for that “Oh, the cops are ruling this town, lets go back it up” thing with 10k servers? And more, they expect the population to just grow from there.
    The game sounds really interesting, and I plan on buying it so far, but I’m not sold on the server thing yet.

17. Andy says:

Interesting game, but whats this about virtual ta-tas not being the same again?

18. DMJ says:

For some reason I can’t remember why my excite-O-meter tops out whenever I hear of APB. But it does.

19. Eisenhorne says:

They can run multiple instances of “100 man servers” on one physical box to justify the cost especially if the “server” is your competed and their server is only doing matchmaking and item management. This would justify their pricing model. Beware – your computer may be acting as a server for them.

Comment on this story