Magical Spell: Bookworm Adventures 2 Announced

By John Walker on July 16th, 2009 at 10:52 am.

That's what Lex says. Clearly we don't think so.

I don’t mean to be controversial, but I think all people who prefer Peggle over Bookworm Adventures should be sliced into ham and banished to the moon. Wait, no, that’s not true. I do mean to be controversial. Because of course it’s ridiculous to even compare the two games, just because they’re from the same developer. One is a game about bouncing a ball and pretending any positive results were due to skill, and any negative were random bad chance, and the other is the intellectual pursuit of personal betterment through challenging word puzzles. Chalk and cheese – it’s madness to say that one is better than the other even though one is. By the by, PopCap have just announced there’s to be a Bookworm Adventures 2 in a month! Hooray. We’ve already started pathetically pleading with them for review code, and will bring you all the information as soonfully as possible. (Peggle is of course great – I suppose – and don’t forget there’s a new free WoW version.)

A riposte from the consumer (Man Raised By Puffins):

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. bookworm8at says:

Never played this game that stole my name. Will try.

2. Ian says:

I probably ought to try Bookworm Adventures. Love Plants vs. Zombies, find Peggle okay but ultimately don’t get the fuss.

Should see where this falls. :)

3. Heliocentric says:

F**K-YES!

15 points damage, note. Hypenated words not allowed.

4. Stromko says:

I’m just hoping this means the first Bookworms Adventures is due for a price cut. 20$ is too steep for a casual game such as this, even if I consider myself a man of letters.

5. Dolphan says:

Best. News. Ever.

6. Jamesy says:

Bookworm>Peggle for sure.
    1.6mil points on Bookworm and still going :)

7. Andresito says:

F*CK YES!

8. Heliocentric says:

@Andre all we need to do is figure out the last letter.

9. Lex says:

Hello John! I just wanted to say that actually you are completely right. I honestly do believe Bookworm Adventures to be better than Peggle. It’s also better than TV, music and sex. But not soil. No, not my lovely soil.

10. The Sombrero Kid says:

can’t wait for this!

11. Morph says:

Bah! Peggle is not just luck, it’s pure skill. Pure skill!

But Bookworm Adventures is rather good too, this is a pleasing news story.

12. spinks says:

Well, thats me being unproductive for the rest of the day :)

13. BigJonno says:

In my first year of working as a TA I showed this to the teacher I was working with. He immediately bought it and has used it as a teaching tool ever since.

14. Andrew says:

Being rubbish at Countdown I’m invariably rubbish at bookworm too. Still great intellectual fun though. And nothing beats trying to defeat monsters with swear words

15. Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ John: *blows raspberry*

16. Stella Q says:

I didn’t really enjoy Bookworm Adventures that much…I mean it’s cute and all but without a time limit to spell words it was just way too easy.

17. SuperNashwan says:

The first game had me literally punching the air and cheering, along the lines of “PUNCTILIOUS! Take that you c*nt!”. Beating the crap out of things with vocabulary is glorious. Beats pinging a ball around randomly for some arbitrary score that had nothing to do with you.

18. Zyrxil says:

I had the exact opposite experience. I got up to world 7 (or something like that, it’s been a long time) and just ran into a wall I could not progress past, where every non-boss enemy spelled 7 letter words + gem bonus every single turn and just obliterated me.

19. DF7 says:

Boo ya! The perfect game for an EEE. And then an iPhone port please.

20. Vinraith says:

I adored the original (as did my wife) so this is pretty much an automatic purchase for me.

21. Frank says:

Yay

22. Wulf says:

Frankly, I’ve always had a great deal of love for both games, and it’s just a toss-up of chance, what I feel like, and how much time I have that decides which Popcap game I’ll pick.

Will it be Bookworm (or Adventures), Bejewelled 2 (or Twist), Peggle (or Nights), Plants vs. Zombies, …and I’m not going to stop there, Talismania, Venice, and Zuma are also worthy of mention, if played a little less than The Big Four.

There’ll always be a point where I don’t have the time to fire up my surprisingly stable modded Fallout 3 and I’ll only have 10 or even 20 minutes to blow on something, in that time I might be able to kill a few Enclavites and loot them, or I could play a jolly good game of Bookworm Adventures.

I don’t see any reason to put any one of the big four over any other, as variety is the spice of life and I’m thankful to have ‘em all. And for what it’s worth, both Bookworm Adventures and Plants vs Zombies deserve sequels, Peggle’s perhaps had all the sequels possible milked out of it by now.

23. Max says:

Fuck yes. I can’t wait. Bookworm adventures taught me that “Superorgasm” is actually a word.

24. Arathain says:

This is news worthy of dancing in the streets.

I like Peggle and all… but it’s an amusing distraction next to the astonishing wordiness of this.

25. Filipe says:

I love them both for different reasons, but nothing beats finding a long word that destroys the opponent in one swipe.

26. malkav11 says:

I found Bookworm Adventures’ dictionary somewhat suspect, but it shares Plants vs. Zombies’s crown as Best Popcap Game Ever. Mind you, the only other one from them I ever particularly got on with is Insaniquarium, which is, shall we say, not the deepest thing in the world, but is silly and fun with plenty of upgrades. The other games are polished, certainly, but the gameplay is repetitive score-chasing. Does nothing for me.

27. ShardPhoenix says:

I liked the first one but I’m not sure how much better/different a sequel could be without being a totally different game.

28. fdsgdshdhsdh says:

Yewahh ahh cooool woawa yeahj

29. MajorManiac says:

For fans of litery exercise, allot of responses above use a very short word.

I’d go for f*ckelisious or awesomicalifragilistical!

This is indeed great news.

30. Cedge says:

Oh John Walker your comments about Peggle are SOOOO edgy.

INSERT HUGE ROLLING EYES HERE.

31. Shadowcat says:

I can also recommend Bonnie’s Bookstore to fans of word games. The game mechanics are solid, with regular variations and new tile types, and the artwork is really nice.

32. Nick says:

Just thought I’d mention that your “I defeated the Ice Queen with sex” (or words to that effect) review of Bookworm Adventures is one of my favourite reviews of yours.

33. Brass Gerbil says:

Nonsense. Peggle is a perfectly good game — when you’ve wrapped yourself around half a bottle of good liquor.

When I get really, really drunk and my mind has been slowed down to operate at the level of the average RPS commenter, I find Peggle relaxing and mildly interesting. It keeps me from drunk-flying a Ka-50 or trying to pick frigate fights in EVE while I’m cross-eyed.

34. bookwormat says:

Stupid game thinks google is not a word. Well, at least it knows what a ‘boner’ is.

35. vee says: