Menus Of Legend: League Of Interfaces

By Jim Rossignol on July 16th, 2009 at 8:20 am.

If ever there was a time when some in-game footage of mythical dudes hitting each other was required, it’s in these two videos. They are, amazingly enough, purely of the back end summoner-management stuff for League Of Legends. Of course that does go to show the depth the game boasts behind the scenes, and the care the developers have taken in making the game infinitely tweakable, and packed with supernatural champions – exactly what the DoTA veterans will want to see. For the rest of us: less exciting. Anyway, we’ve heard the game is in closed beta right now, so the full game may not be too far off, and we can expect plenty more information from Riot Games soon. And don’t worry particle effects fans, I’ve posted the in-game trailer too. Hooray!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. sigma83 says:

How does it fare against Demigod will be the question to beat.

2. the affront says:

More like fare against Heroes of Newerth, I’m predicting. At least for all the already-players of DOTA.

3. bookworm8at says:

Also interesting: The business model for the game is free to play with microtransactions.

4. Inanimotion says:

Ooooh.

More in-depth DOTA sounds awesome.
    I got sick of playing a game inside of another game.

5. sigma83 says:

What is this Heroes of Newearth you speak of?

6. Deadend says:

Oh, Fiddlesticks.

I am not sure the game will be as interesting as Demigod, As it looks to have tons of heroes, but I have a feeling a large majority of them will be very similar. Demigod had a small number of heroes, but they all had their own unique mechanics and had multiple ways to specialize them.

But I wish the best for them as DotA was a cool game.

7. the affront says:

sigma83: It’s the nearly 1:1 DOTA clone by S2 games (the Savage guys) currently in closed beta. Didn’t play it yet myself, and NDA on media is still in effect, though they lifted it regarding just talking about it. Couple of friends who’re somewhat more serious (read: not b-net) DOTA players seem to like it so far.

Anyway, I couldn’t be arsed typing up more so googled a sec for you, have a nutshell: http://www.examiner.com/x-13320-Detroit-MMORPG-Examiner~y2009m7d15-Heroes-of-Newerth-NDA-lifted-secrets-revealed

8. Ginger Yellow says:

The latest Three Moves Ahead podcast has quite a good discussion with Soren Johnson about how this and potential future DoTA clones may be the future of RTS (or at least a rare new direction for the genre, and one that would finally crack the consoles).

9. Sparvy says:

Yeah, a bit suprisingly, Heroes of Newerth seems to pick up a better buzz at the moment than League of Legends.

10. Paradukes says:

11. MrBejeebus says:

Aww, I was hoping this was gonna be a satiristical “Top 10 best/worst interfaces” or something.

I have been dissapointed.

(game does look ok I spose though)

12. MCM says:

“Considering this one will be free and full of new stuff, while HoN sounds like a literal carbon copy and will presumably cost to play, I suspect that LoL could come out on top with the right marketing. We shall see how it plays out, of course.”

HoN will be purchased in a box just like WC3 (you need that to play dota, remember?). It’s not a literal carbon copy of dota, but there are about 10 heroes that were copied exactly. The rest of HoN’s heroes are new-ish. The items are a complete copy, though. The maps are pretty much the same as well.

13. The Squeeze says:

WoW meets Pokemon and dons a feather boa.
    It’s gonna be big with the mouth-breathing, man-child collectors, claiming:
    “It takes skill to play!”
    Which it probably does when you’re shovelling a 5000 calorie diet into your maw at the same time.

14. DK says:

Considering it literally looks exactly like Warcraft 3, what was the point in making a new engine/using a different engine?

15. DK says:

Also, for lack of edit:
    League of Legends has some of the worst art and design of all time. It’s like some of the worst Sword of the Stars 2D art but applied to the entirety of it, instead of just being background art.

16. bookwormat says:

“what was the point in making a new engine/using a different engine?”

The old engine was property of blizzard entertainment.

“League of Legends has some of the worst art and design of all time”

I think it looks great.

17. S says:

I am in the LoL beta. I can’t wait until NDAs get lifted.

18. Heliocentric says:

Lol nda? Bbq ftw?

19. Gwyn says:

Heroes of Newerth has the DotA fanbase sewn up already, and nobody in that community seems to be talking about LoL anymore. They might well be comparable games (I haven’t played LoL) but the userbase is on HoN already, with friends lists and clans and what have you. That’s going to be a tough nut to crack.

What makes it impossible to crack however is how embarrassingly shit LoL looks next to HoN. I mean, seriously, S2 went and made a proper modern looking game. I’m sure I’m not breaking the NDA by just saying it really does look brilliant in both the artistic and technical senses.

20. MrBejeebus says:

oop my bad, satirical i meant to say

21. DK says:

“The old engine was property of blizzard entertainment.”
    Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot about greed. That’s a valid reason of course.

22. Gwyn says:

DK:

WC3 has terrible netcode, no standardised keybinding, rubbish online interface, and supposedly a very limiting item/damage model.

Plus, it’s pretty basic and the kind of thing you can slap together with a week’s work (as the LoL team have done here) as opposed to paying a hefty license fee.

23. Sparvy says:

@DK

I dont think its fair to talk about “greed” when it comes to the people who created the most popular mod since Counter-Strike, for free, wanting to expand on their concept beyond the WC3 engine and get paid, after several years of free work (even though the LoL team aren’t the ones currently working on DotA).

24. Hyudra says:

I’m keeping my eye on Bloodline Champions as far as MOBA games go. Just seems to pack more atmosphere.

Since this is F2P, though, I figure I’ll give it a shot.

25. Basil says:

Looks like a “PC game”, indeeed.

26. Marvin says:

I’m on the beta of both LOL and HON. In summary — HON is shiney, but LOL is one of the best games I’ve ever played.

LOL takes me back to how much fun I had when I first played Diablo 2 with my college roomates. They’ve really gone above and beyond DOTA in just making the basic stuff FUN. And there’s a ton of really cool innovative ideas and features. Plus, the community is really welcoming and helped me get up to speed on the game fast.

HON on the other hand looks really shiney, but the game balance is totally jacked, and the community is even worse than the DOTA community. It’s that level of elitism x 10. Plus, the geniuses at s2 added a bunch of features like public kill/d/a tracking and leaver logging without AFK detection and it just results in pro players sitting around making games to newb stomp… as if they didn’t need incentive to do that in the first place. I hold my own OK in HON, but it’s not worth the BS to put up with a game that is a 90% dota clone, where the only innovative parts totally jack the play balance or make the community even worse than before.

27. bobakasteve says:

my sentiments exactly marvin.

I like LoL alot since it has the original creator of dota (guinsoo who then let icefrog mess around with dota when he was done) who has a more original take on the game.

Comment on this story