Borderlands Release Date Set: 23rd October

By John Walker on July 22nd, 2009 at 11:35 pm.

You know how often it goes like this? “Super-Exciting Game IV was due to be released for PC in three months, but publishers Idiotsoft have announced it’s now to be exclusive for Dreamcast and not released in the UK until the new millennium.” So when it doesn’t, I think it’s worth noticing. 2K have announced a release date for Borderlands, 23rd October for Europe, and three days earlier in the US. This year. Despite other games coming out in the run up to Christmas. 2K told Gamespot they aren’t afraid of a little competition.

To find out why to be excited about Borderlands check out our E3 preview.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Vinraith says:

Is it good or bad that I don’t know what else is coming out around the same time?

Anyway, this looks like it might be fun.

2. Jonas says:

Man, I’m really looking forward to Certain Other Games. Too bad about that Idiotsoft game though, but I’m not getting a Dreamcast just for that, even if it does look awesome.

3. Jad says:

Super-Exciting Game IV looks like a consolified, dumbed-down rehash of Super-Exciting Game III, so I’m not too bothered by this. Too bad Idiotsoft has forgotten its PC gaming roots. Don’t come squealing back to us when those Dreamcast-addled kids dump your game series for the next shiny thing!

(did I do it right?)

4. Tworak says:

If this game is mediocre or better I’ll probably buy it due to the awesome art direction.

Gearbox schmearbox, though. Hmmmmm.

@Jad, FAIIIILLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOOOL

5. NuZZ says:

500,000/million weapons and diablo-eque multiplayer has me hooked.

Moar trailers pahlees!

6. Brother None says:

Not pushing it back any and just smashing into October might be the smart thing to do, depending on how the economy pans out. Quite a few major titles already fled October, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a few more do. More’s the picking for those who stay.

7. SirKicksalot says:

Another RPG in October? Le ffffffuuuuuuuu

8. Railick says:

I heard the controls in Super-Exciting Game IV are clunky and you have a side kick that is constantly getting in your way and the challenge mode sucks.

On the other hand this game looks good :P

9. wiper says:

If a game /was/ announced as being moved from PC development to DC-exclusive, I’d damn well buy it. Being super-exciting would just be the icing on the cake.

10. Whiskey Jak says:

Dammit, Rocktober is the new November… I’m buying three games for sure and maybe a fourth one if Alpha Protocol is any good… the others being Borderlands (of course), Brutal Legend and Dragon Age. I might also give Operation Flashpoint a try.

It’s crazy, November might be the month I spend the less between August and December since everybody seems afraid to compete with MW2 (buying), LFD2 (probably not buying) and AC2 (probably get as a bday gift) (that’s a whole lot of 2′s if you ask me).

11. Colthor says:

Jolly good. I’m looking forwards to this one.

12. SiUnit says:

Yey! I’m glad not all developers are scaredy pants!

13. Alex says:

Borderland and Alpha Protocol had been looking more interesting the more information the publishers dribble out. A concrete Borderlands release date, for me, counters the news that Serious Sam is ditching its previous look in order to be all Tuff and Gritty.

14. Tim James says:

Crossing my fingers for Call of Pripyat in Octoberish too, but they don’t even have a NA publisher as far as I know, and I probably ought not to rush them.

15. Seniath says:

Borderlands release date: Oct 23rd
    Windows 7 release date: Oct 22nd

Arse.

16. Wulf says:

Pshh, you’re all glazing over the real issue of Super-Exciting Game IV; the plot was written for the slow-witted and closed-minded console crowd, it wouldn’t be welcome on the PC.

A quick bit of research reveals that SEG4 has a plot of no more than 500 words, and they’ve tried to shy away from words longer than six letters. This is why they didn’t release it for the PC, you can get away with that shit on consoles and the console journalists don’t know any better. If they released it on the PC they’d have to deal with an overall metacritic score of 10-20 or so, and they wouldn’t be able to deal with that.

It’s true, develop for consoles, save money on bothering to tell any kind of story! I mean, really… consider gems like:

“I SHOOT ALIEN WITH LAZOR, HE GO SPLAT! HA HA HA. HA HA. ALIEN SPLAT. HA HA. HA. HA HA HA. HA.”, “HA HA. ALIEN SPLAT. HA HA HA. GOOD ONE.”

And:

“MMM, I HUMP LADY. HURR. FEEL GOOD. I AM A MAN. I SHOOT ALIEN. THEN I HUMP LADY. I HAVE BIG THING.”, “HA HA. HA. HA HA HA. BIG THING. GOOD ONE. HA HA HA.”, “FUCK YOU. I SHOOT YOU LIKE ALIEN. SPLAT.”

See that incredible character interaction and growth?

A lack of plot and lacklustre gameplay in a nearly greyscale setting. PC gaming doesn’t need that, let the console kids have Not-so-Exciting Game IV.

(LOL@Gears of War 2.)

17. dr_demento says:

This still isn’t looking as bad as autumn 2007 – that was an expensive few months… Borderlands is still looking good, though. I like the flexible weaponry, and four-player-co-op vehicle fun makes *everything* better.

@Wulf: Do people not get that Gears is a parody, like Scream? In what universe is “It’s a giant worm! They’re sinking cities with a giant worm!” a reasonable thing to write into your serious game?

18. Super Bladesman says:

I now know what I will be playing first on my home Windows 7 install then :D

19. pignoli says:

Pretty excited for this game and Rage looks like it won’t be out anywhere near soon enough to piss over its parade (if the latter is indeed any good, I don’t think we’ve really seen enough of it to judge yet). Hmm, I see myself buying at least one more game at full price before the year is over…

20. alseT says:

Looking forward to this one. Diablo style loot just flares up my OCD instantly. For those interested there’s a new and longer trailer in italian over here.

21. CMaster says:

Will there be a demo?
    While the game looks and sounds really exciting and just like the kind of thing I’d like to play
    Gearbox’s past doesn’t endear me to thinking it will be that great, just ya’know, competent.
    I still can’t really forgive them for completly missing the point of Half Life when they made OpFor, which was good in so many other ways.

22. Larington says:

Finally starting to build up a solid idea of what games I want towards the end of the year, Modern Warfare 2 isn’t on the list. This just might be.

23. Rei Onryou says:

October is a good choice. Most releases after MW2 are probably doomed (L4D2 and AC2 being the only exceptions).

24. Geoff says:

@Wulf
    I am intrigued by this lady-humping game. Link please.

25. Whiskey Jak says:

@ Wulf

I hope that was sarcasm. Frankly, I have a hard time thinking of a ton of PC games that have outshone the console games story wise in the last couple of years. Few exceptions maybe, but not on a wide scale. It’s not like WoW and The Sims did something to impress me in that department. The only PC game that comes to my mind real quickly that had a rather good story and is not on console is The Witcher.

Don’t get me wrong, I do love my PC gaming, but I certainly don’t see its superiority in the storytelling department over the console games, not at a large scale anyways… and not without going back more than a few years. And it’s not like the consoles, or the console players, couldn’t handle the same plots, narrative and stories that PC players can, at least I’ve seen no evidence supporting that notion.

26. Tuor says:

I doubt it was sarcasm. If it was, it still happens to mirror my general attitude towards console games. And if PC games haven’t outshown console games in the past few years, it’s because many of them are ports from console games.

And yes, I do believe that the demographics of console users are different than that of PC users: publishers would be foolish not to take that into consideration, and they do.

27. Alex says:

dr_demento said:

I forget where I read it, but I like the idea the whole series is subversive- that in Gears, the human are the true villains.

28. The Apologist says:

Tops :)

29. nabeel says:

They’re calling it a “Role-Playing Shooter” … an RPS!

30. TariqOne says:

Forgive me for being braindead, but what the hell is Super Exciting Game IV?

31. TariqOne says:

Oh. Brain just sputtered back to life. Nothing to see here. Terribly sorry.

32. TariqOne says:

Back on point, three cheers for this title. At least one option for female gamers to be a female, plus online drop-in storyline co-op equals all I need to be happy.

RPG elements, procedurally generated weaponry, fun art direction, loads of vehicles, and dystopic-future setting push me from happy into squealing-like-a-schoolgirl territory.

33. Bret says:

Looks nifty.

I have nothing more to say on the matter, other than that Super Exciting Game IV’s procedural AI is failzors. lol.

Wow. I’m disgusted with myself for posting in that manner even parodically.

Comment on this story