Fevered: Left 4 Dead 2 Heads To The Swamp

By John Walker on July 23rd, 2009 at 10:30 am.

This week’s Comic Con sees Valve revealing new sections of Left 4 Dead 2 to the public. We’ve already seen the daytime levels set in New Orleans for The Parish campaign. Now comes Swamp Fever, with its misty, boggy setting, putting at ease those who were afraid the game wouldn’t be dark enough. This will reveal the new Boss Infected, The Spitter. We’re told, “The female Spitter has an area attack that can split up Survivors or flush them out of their hiding spots.” They’ll also show the new uncommon Infected, the Mudman (seen below), along with the cricket bat, AK47, and grenade launcher. So if you’re there, go play it! New images of the game are below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mark S. says:

JC FTW.

For those who are having trouble internalizing your problems about Valve and L4D. Get versed in code, create an engine, make a game that you’ll enjoy. Until then chill out.
    But first go build a map, they give you the tools to do that, and then see how you’re doing after 1K hours (at the least) making one effective. So while you’re smashing your keyboard tryin to build, those who are buying the next installment will be using our kitchen sink melee to beat Zoms into the garbage disposal.
    I can’t wait :)

2. Fabian says:

I love the spitter idea. No more hidding in rooms. That really hated that. Theirs no strategy. I hate people that misuse a sweet level jsut to hide in hidden room and actuallt blame valve for it. Go spitter and all the naggers and noobers and campers. SPit on you. It´s just a few quid. Stop nagging.

3. Vinraith says:

@Psychopomp

A business that acts “like a business” gets treated like a business. Valve had a line of “good will credit” that normal businesses do not receive because it behaved differently than most businesses. If it wishes to behave “like a business,” as you put it, hat line of credit is cancelled. That does not mean I “wipe my hands of Valve,” by the way, it means I treat them like any other developer I don’t care about: I buy their games a year after release for $5-$10. Yay for capitalism. :)

4. Psychopomp says:

@Zen

You’re confusing overgrown manchildren with “smart people.”

It’s okay, we all make that mistake sometimes.

5. Psychopomp says:

@Vin

So you’re “disgusted,” by normal businesses?

I’m a communist, and I find that silly.

6. Vinraith says:

Again, and this is the last thing I’ll say on the matter, note which side all the hostility is coming from in this thread.

7. Vinraith says:

@Psychopomp

Dammit, have to answer that.

No, I’m “disgusted” and saddened when a business that had held itself to a higher standard ceases to do so.

8. Psychopomp says:

On another note

9. Psychopomp says:

MAH EDIT BUTTON

Out of curiosity, say they did release all this stuff as incremental DLC…

How much did you expect to pay for all this?

Is $10 a campaign not reasonable, or something?

10. l4d2fan says:

Ak fucking 47′s OMG!!!!

11. Funky Badger says:

Vinraith: what’s the conversion rate between “good will” and “dollars”?

12. Miker says:

@jonfitt

Yeah, I know, I’ve used it since release, but the fact that it’s a console command, and that the console is off by default, is a far cry from practical. A real server/lobby browser supported by Valve, with perhaps a “Quick List” option a la TF2 for simplicity’s sake, would be the best option, if ya ask me.

13. lumpi says:

Well, aren’t you all clever for pointing out that L4D2 will sell like crazy.

Of course it will. That was never the point. Horse armor seems to sell for $2.50. Or “Premium Sackboy Costumes” (a few kilobytes of content that took a 3D modeler 5 minutes to create) for $1.99. Apparently people give money away for pretty much everything these days.

I’m not naive enough to think that this “boycott” will affect Valve’s finances in any way. Praised be capitalism. We’ve seen how well it works in the past few months, haven’t we? Let’s get our shotguns and pitchforks and defend America from the evil commies, right?

Bah.

All I’m saying is that Valve, for the first time in their existence, are announcing a “sequel” before the first game has even reached the amount of content usually associated with a full-priced title. Be happy and celebrate Valve “growing up” and “finally acting like a business”, if that gives you comfort. I won’t.

14. Funky Badger says:

amount of content usually associated with a full-priced title.

That’s a very nebulous concept. Could you quanitfy it, 6 campaigns, 8?

15. Toastie says:

Doesn’t one of the team look like Phillip Banks from the fresh prince of bellaire…

… but they shouldn’t stop their why not make the remaining three Hillary, Carlton and of course Will!

16. CJohnson03 says:

Probably when they have a long, long track record of amazing games with plenty of support and free content. Y’know, like Valve does.

17. Ergates says:

Do we really need another thread of “Valve are Evil for creating L4D2″. It’s getting very very tiresome.

Yes yes you’re angry. Yes we know you’re not going to buy it. No we don’t really care. You’ve had your whinge, now move on.

18. suibhne says:

@Funky Badger: Here’s some assistance – take a look at CoD4. 6- to 8-hour SP campaign, then a ton of MP – including extensive community mod support out of the box.

For the same price, L4D delivers a 4- to 5-hour SP campaign (if you count playing through all the campaigns with bot allies), then a ton of MP – but with limited community mod support not being provided until over 6 months after release.

I don’t think anybody’s whining about L4D2…or if they are, they shouldn’t be. ;) L4D2 looks like a kickass game, to call a spade a spade. I think the heartburn is over the fact that some of us feel L4D delivered about $30 of content, not the $50 that we paid for it. Fwiw, I’d be perfectly happy with the game if I hadn’t, full to the brim with faith in Valve, pre-ordered it at full price rather than waiting for a good sale.

Oh well, you get burned sometimes – no big. The source of my disappointment is that I just never expected to feel burned by Valve.

(And, to forestall silly straw-man arguments, no, I’m not claiming any objectivity for my assessment; it’s very much my opinion, based on what I like in my games. I know some of you sunk as much time into L4D as I did into CoD4 or UT2k4, and more power to you.)

19. Vinraith says:

@Funky Badger

I can only speak for myself. In my case, good will towards a developer means I buy their games early and at full price, whereas indifference means I buy their games on sale after they drop in price. So, in practice, my good will is worth about $20-$40 dollars per game, depending on the original MSRP.

20. Funky Badger says:

@suibhne: fair enough! I didn’t get on with CoD4 MPlayer, found L4D much more engaging – (at least mod-kit support out of the box is a measurable requirement)

Vinraith: also, fair enough. Presumably Valve have done their sums and think they’re going to back more than they lose doing this – I hope they do…!

21. Solario says:

More games should be set in swamps. It’s rip and it’s underused compared to, say, the sewer.

22. Gorgeras says:

@Psychopomp, my post was partially in response to the post directly above mine. What made you think I’d missed it?

You’re not the only one putting words in other’s mouths: JC too seems unable to reign in the incoherent and somehow managed to contort my post into a claim that Left 4 Dead 2 is already on sale.

Left 4 Dead will have significantly less players once number 2 is out. Whatever content we are likely to get between now and then(unlikely to be a full new campaign) is moot. Valve is playing on a technicality by arguing they will ‘continue to support’ Left 4 Dead when it really doesn’t matter: it will no longer be played much and will suffer an exaggerated effect of what others multi-player games get when an expansion pack is released because this will be a wholly new stand-alone application.

The very strong impression given prior to the release of the original game was that this would be supported like Team Fortress 2. This assurance was given against a back-drop of very widespread and serious criticism about how small Left 4 Dead was and I’ve yet to actually see any explanation from games journos what actually changed their mind on this because they’re so damn uncritical now. Left 4 Dead will now never become the full-game that would justify the full-price tag it had in shops and on Steam for the first few months.

There has only been one serious criticism of Valve in PC games journalism in the wake of the Left4Dead Boycott group starting: those who bought the game first, for full price were the most loyal and dedicated fans. The boycott group is made up of the most loyal and dedicated fans. The most loyal and dedicated fans were shafted by how Valve handled the new franchise.

As has already been said repeatedly but the Malignant Militia as always, the fake fan-base, never want to deal with the moral argument: Valve can either be some other business and be treated like any other business or they can behave to the standard they previously held to and be respected and have generous amounts of goodwill heaped on them.

It’s no defence to say they are a business when this is precisely the basis of the attack on them. Those that use this pathetic rhetorical non-argument truly don’t seem to understand what they’re arguing with.

23. Vinraith says:

@Funky Badger

I’ve no doubt they’ll make money.

@Solario

It really IS kind of underused, isn’t it? Swamps are creepy as hell, more first person, atmospheric titles should make use of them.

24. Psychopomp says:

Just noticed L4D2 is listed there.

“my post was partially in response to the post directly above mine. What made you think I’d missed it?”

This means he listed reasons as to why they can’t just stick stuff in L4D1, and you basically said “No, shut up, you’re dumb.”

25. Psychopomp says:

I’m curious

How will people react if L4D3 isn’t announced, *ever?*

26. Gorgeras says:

No the question Psychopomp is; what if Valve supported Left 4 Dead 2 in the style of Team Fortress 2: what they promised for Left 4 Dead but swanned off to make the sequel instead?

27. Psychopomp says:

With that *inevitability,* I’m not sure if people will be extremely pissed, sing valves praises again, or just be confused about how to react.

28. Gorgeras says:

If it’s inevitable, Valve has little to lose and much to gain by agreeing to the requests made by the boycott group:

Everyone will be happy and the only question remaining will be why Valve decided on such a ridiculous business strategy with the sequel to begin with.

But I suspect the reason why Valve does not appear to actually be addressing the arguments put to them and have almost every games journalist being a useful idiot is that they plan on making Left 4 Dead 3 shortly after.

29. armlesscorps says:

Psychopomp:”Do the people in the L4D2 boycott steam group realize how god awful and childish that avatar is?

It’s okay to have concerns, but they come off as a group of twelve year olds who just want free stuff…”

Theres a lot of truth for that, I was keen on joining the boycott group until i read the description and their “demands”. They say they want all the l4dead2 stuff for free from what I remember, which is just silly.
    If they had a fair balanced argument itd probably have up to double the members. As is I wont join it.

30. invisiblejesus says:

@armlesscorps:

I just had a look at the boycott group’s page, and they aren’t demanding L4D2 for free necessarily. Cut and pasted:

“WE REQUEST:

-That Valve honor its commitment to release ongoing periodic content for Left 4 Dead.

-That Left 4 Dead 2 not be released as a stand-alone, full-priced sequel but as either a free update to Left 4 Dead or an expansion with full compatibility with basic Left 4 Dead owners.

-That Left 4 Dead owners be given discounts for Left 4 Dead 2, should it be released as premium content.”

I actually don’t think that those are entirely unreasonable expectations, after all Valve was pretty happy to lead customers to believe they would be following the TF2 business model with L4D prior to it’s release, and that updates would be coming a lot faster than they actually did. I can understand that things can change unexpectedly in the business, but it seems pretty reasonable to ask them to at least throw us early adopters a bone.

That said, the avatar is pretty childish and the way that their ideas are expressed could be quite a bit less bitchy and still get the message across.

31. lumpi says:

Well, yea. After all, this is all I’m whining about like the in-touch-with-my-emotions, homosexual, anti-capitalist emo kid I have apparently become since the announcement of L4D2 (thanks for analyzing me, there, internet).

Why are game journalists defending Valve now? Why? There has hardly been a review not mentioning the guaranteed “subsequent updates” that make up for the shortness of the game, usually directly referring to TF2 and its almost doubled content since release. Now is a prime moment to call Valve out on lagging behind their promises. Instead fans who complain are mocked on the front page, like greedy kids who haven’t figured out capitalism by now.

Are they giving out happy pills at press events now? Is Valve off limits for any negative criticism?

Nobody seems to have a problem with pages upon pages of pointing out the shortcomings with the finer nuances of dialog-driven humor in Telltale’s point-and-click revivals. Everyone’s pretty convinced that the perfectly reasonable business decision to not release “Brütal Legend” on the PC is an abomination.

But L4D2? It’s gonna have a cricket bat! MUST BUY!

32. Railick says:

How will people react when L4D3 is announced the day after L4D2 comes out and that it’s being released in 4 months ;P

33. Psychopomp says:

@lumpi

IT’S A CONSPIRACY =O
    Clearly journalists are all reptilians gene splicers, payed off by Gabe Newell who is also the CEO of the Illuminati.

OPEN YOUR EYES, SHEEPLE!

34. Chemix says:

I am against L4D2 because it looks to have a similar amount of content to L4D1, which was not worth $50 dollars US that was the retail price. It’s content level was similar to that of TF2 with the gold rush (payload) update, which costs $20. 4 maps, albeit 4 long maps, and 2 of which copied with spawn edits for versus mode, doesn’t equate to 30 bucks more value than TF2 which is also heavily MP based. I bought L4D on sale for $30 which was adequate for me, if a little over priced, it should have been 25 dollars ($24.99, and frak whoever came up with the 99 cent price ploy, it’s annoying as hell to calculate tax in a store with everything at some dollars and 95/ 98/ 99/ 92 cents).

L4D2 seems to use most of the same concepts as L4D1, the AI director, the 4 survivors (why 4 again? oh, that’s how many can split a TV screen via xbox), starting smgs, pistols, and pump shotguns, which lead to assault rifles, etc. etc, perhaps a bow now. You survive a trip from A-to-B and fight a big battle at the end.

We’ve only seen 2 campaigns, but I’m not sure if that’s even what’s worrying people. I think it has to really do with the shock that Valve would release a sequel a year later; this is Valve we’re talking about, the people that made the term “episodic” meaningless with their 2-3 year apart “episodes”, the people that took 6-7 years to do a sequel to their original product, the people that have no release dates (beyond, “when it’s done”), this is the Valve that we know for tedious bug testing (which could have been applied better to L4D) and for cutting a product down to the smallest possible item and polishing it to a mirror shine: IE HL2 (which though bugged, was quite playable despite being so tremendously scaled down from it’s original epic plot) TF2, the “episodes” and Portal.

Also, the fact that the PR for the third episode, or fourth game of the second installment of their most loved franchise is non existent. I want to see the TF2 PR team working on PR for HL2 Episode 3, my, that would be awesome, it’d be like we could actually enjoy adverts, verus their 30 minute gameplay trailers for episodes 1 & 2 (which sucked, Episode 2 had much better announcement material, but the later trailers still sucked). Meet Gordon Freeman….’s Crowbar, yeah, he doesn’t talk much either, but he’s got a hell of a hook.

35. Railick says:

It is amazing what people will complain about

36. Nalano says:

So lemme get this straight, because I’ve been devoting most of my time these days to bitching about Bethesda, Games for Windows Live, Pat Buchanan, Birthers, Electronic Arts, the Department of Education, developers who only produce for consoles, Microsoft in general and Vista in specific, Blue Dog Democrats, Rush Limbaugh and the Cambridge Police so I haven’t had the chance to complain about Valve, yet, so I wanna get it all right in my mind:

L4D came out holiday season 2008 and it was a hit. Everybody and their mother put in 50+ hours on it because they loved it so much (like they do most Valve games) and it became, if not Portal, then at least a minor cult smash (like most Valve games become) and all was good. The only caveat was that there were only 4 campaigns, and after 50+ hours they didn’t have the oomph they once did.

Eight months later, Valve announces a sequel, L4D2, that professes more weapons, more enemies, more pithy one-liners, more campaigns and a motherloving cricket bat, and people are complaining that they could have spent that energy making free updates to L4D instead.

As I see it, if it didn’t come in the box on Day One, it shouldn’t really have been expected – we don’t all live in the subscription model of MMOs yet. It sounds as if the only real problem people are having is that they’re releasing a sequel too soon and if they just waited another year and offered the exact same thing, everybody would be happy.

This, I propose, is why Valve isn’t so perturbed about the backlash. Other developers would give their left eye to be in the position Valve is in right now: Able to produce a high-production value sequel within a year of the original? If only they all had that manpower…

37. Gorgeras says:

Armlesscorps, did you actually think no one would click the link just a few inches above your post and check to see if the Boycott front page corroborates with your creative ‘interpretation’?

Sorry but I’ve spent the last hour on the Steam forums and the one thing seemingly all the anti-Boycotters have in common is naked dishonesty.

38. Y3k-Bug says:

A question though:

39. lumpi says:

Indeed. It clearly is a conspiracy. I for one, welcome our new reptilian journalist overlords.

40. TheColonel says:

By the pre-order numbers it looks like there were a lot of people who felt that the first one was worth the money. Why don’t the rest of you just join the boycott site and stop talking about it? Honestly, the only basis there is for being outraged, aside from the idea that it will split the community, is if you personally feel you didn’t get your money’s worth. Since that is entirely subjective, spouting your opinion everywhere isn’t going to convince anyone else to change theirs. There are a million and one games that do not provide the variety of experience that Left4Dead did, even though it was the same campaign. Flight Simulator had a lot of landscape, sure, but every time you got in a plane all you really did was fly around above it. I don’t recall any resident evil game being much longer than Left4Dead anyway.

41. Vinraith says:

@Nalano

“Everybody and their mother put in 50+ hours on it because they loved it so much”

I don’t know ANYONE that’s broken 50 hours in L4D. I certainly haven’t. The game’s cripplingly repetitive after the first 15-20, optimistically. Survival mode bought me another ten or so. Every subsequent attempt to go back has been met with overwhelming disinterest by myself and my friends.

I’m sure there are people that have played this game for more than 50 hours, but I’m far from certain it’s even a majority, let alone universal as you imply. There’s just not enough content to support extended play for most people.

42. Nerd Rage says:

All I have to say about that new mission poster is that the two in the middle have no concept of muzzle discipline. The woman has her rifle sitting back on her shoulder, pointed dangerously close to the head of the guy behind her, and he’s got his rifle pointed straight at her kidneys.

Friendly fire is going to be a bitch with these two on the team. Especially if there are grenade launchers involved later on.

43. 8195 says:

look at the picture on rochels shirt does that look like gordon freeman?

44. Psychopomp says:

“I am against L4D2 because it looks to have a similar amount of content to L4D1, which was not worth $50 dollars US that was the retail price.”

Shadow of the Collosus

Beyond Good and Evil

Ico

45. invisiblejesus says:

@Y3k-Bug

“A question though:

How is it a sense of entitlement is Valve said they were going to do it? I mean, no one assumed it, they came right out and SAID it.”

Heh, how many posts you think will go up bashing the boycotters before someone actually tries to answer your question?

46. Psychopomp says:

@Invisiblejesus

I’ve tackled that question time and time again, in other threads, even on other sites

All that you ever get as a response is “THEY PWOMISED!”

I find it’s not worth it anymore

47. invisiblejesus says:

I think you misunderstand the question then, Psychopomp. You seem to assume that it’s directed at the boycotters. It’s not. It’s directed at you and others who bash on the boycotters. Go reread the question carefully.

48. Psychopomp says:

No, I was very aware who it was directed at.

49. MD says:

That’s a bit weak, Psychopomp. If you’re going to bother replying, you could at least link to (or paste in) one of the previous question-tacklings you refer to. As it is, you’re basically saying ‘I have the perfect rebuttal to your argument, but I’ve said it before and you’re probably too thick to appreciate it anyway, so I’ll keep it to myself. It sure puts you in your place, though’.

50. MD says:

(As usual I seem to have posted out of sequence — my comment was @ Psychopomp’s comment from 2:47 am, not the most recent one.)

Comment on this story