Safe As Houses: New Alpha Protocol Walkthrough

By John Walker on July 23rd, 2009 at 3:00 pm.

Obsidian have released a new very detailed video guiding you through various aspects of Alpha Protocol‘s Safe Houses. Showing off how the Safe Houses work, with all their various character, weapon, etc modifications, it explains how important these locations are. There’s your email, which lets you catch up on relationships, find extra work, and keep up with colleagues. There’s access to the black market Clearing House, where you can pick up new equipment. You can also customise and upgrade weapons and armour, and all sorts. It’s all below.

It’s also good to see some clips of the game in slightly less blue-grey washed out locations. You’ll also find some glimpses of combat, both ranged and melee. Well, just watch it, now I’ve told you everything that happens.

And below is part 1 from April, showing how the dynamic conversations work.

, , , .

1. Duckmeister says:

Gee, this better be work in progress, the animations and the voice acting are so stiff, you could’ve replaced the poorly made models with cardboard cutouts and it would’ve worked!

2. Tworak says:

Obsidian > Bioware.

FACT!

3. Ian says:

Oh Christ, did he have to Hulk out to use that Fury ability? That was cringeworthy.

It’d be nice if the range of clothes/appearances could be used to aid infiltration and such but I suspect they might just be cosmetic.

4. Dante says:

Ding Ding, let the comments begin.

5. Jeremy says:

I actually thought the animations looked much better than the first video that was shown. It’s also pretty cool to see how much customization there is in the game. Although I’m sure someone will find the “best” combo and throw it in an FAQ, I generally like to think of who my character will be without worrying about “best” builds.

6. Andresito says:

Looks extremly hot.

7. Ian says:

Oh, I ought to say despite my slightly miserable previous comment I am still on the “looking forward to” side of things for this game.

As for builds, I will undoubtedly spunk everything into infiltration skills and then have to run like a girl every time somebody tries to engage me in combat.

8. EBass says:

Obsidian really aren’t better than Bioware, they’ve pretty much just followed up Bioware. NWN to the sequal KOTOR to the sequal, and this combat and engine looks to have a distinct Mass Effect vibe.

Not to say they aren’t a great dev team, but Bioware trump them (and no you can’t say Obsidian are Black Isle so Fallout should be included, because they aren’t). Anyway, I’m not convinced about the dialogue system. For a number of reasons.

Firstly, if characters like certain approaches, surely its just a manner of taking each option until you find the one they like and then always using it thereafter?

I also don’t like RPG dialogue systems which don’t even tell you roughly what you’re going to say. The amount of times in Mass Effects system, I chose a choice and then character proceeded to say the line with a completely different reasoning than I thought of…….. Can’t even imagine what hes gonna say when the “Dialogue” choices are simple stances.

I mean you can hardly do multiple choice with them can you? So what are they there for? To choose the right option for specific characters? Well for the major characters you try until you find the “Right” one for their character type and for minor characters its just a game of Rock Paper Scissors as to how they’d react?

9. Dante says:

It’s in the Mass Effect engine, but it’s clearly a very original idea. I think he’s reffering more to the depth and ambiguity of theit writing (which is certainly right in the case of the KOTORs)

I think the idea is that your choices won’t just affect the one character, so going completely schitzo and just choosing the ‘right’ option every time isn’t on, you’ll have to pick sides. Even if it isn’t, I will, otherwise it’d be like only picking the options that give you the best reward, regardless of ‘good’ or ‘evil’ in any other RPG.

Finally, I always knew what I was going to say in Mass Effect, it seemed pretty clear, I’m surprised you had trouble.

10. DK says:

“And welcome to round three hundred and sixty seven of ‘criticising games that aren’t out yet based on tiny amounts of information no-one could ever garner a reasonable conclusion from’”
    And welcome to round three hundred and sixty seven of ‘blindly defending Obsidian despite them never having made anything but buggy messes’

11. Jeremy says:

@Ian

They said things about armor and stuff being specific to what kind of role you play in the game, so I’m guessing some of that cosmetic stuff will play a part in stealth and things. It wouldn’t be a very hard concept to just start throwing stats on beards and turbans and stuff, the object is already there and created.

harvb says:

That house doesn’t look very safe to me.

Sorry.

13. Ian says:

EBass: I sorta agree. I like the idea of those dialogue systems but sometimes it really jars you with what the option they gave you equates to.

It’s like, you see what a character said and think you don’t like it much so you select “I disagree” and then your guy threatens to kick their head in and shit in their hat.

14. Lukasz says:

Back you pardon DK but KOTOR 2 altough messsy and buggy is still one of the best rpgs out there!

15. unique_identifier says:

“we also have a variety of beard options here” D:

the player character’s personality seems severely bland – but most likely it feels a lot better when you’re at the wheel. or maybe i’m taking issue with having to play as someone else’s character. Hmm.

16. tapanister says:

Eh, it sure doesn’t look like the next step in RPG evolution or something, but you gotta cut Obsidian some slack. I’ll wait till the game is out before crapping on the game, Obsidian have devolped some great games in the past.

…That said, I gotta agree with Ian: the fury ability was BAD.

17. Ging says:

Why does he have what appears to be a gazillion inch lcd/plasma tv as a phone?

18. Biff says:

Headslam!

19. Inglorion says:

Third-person ……….

20. Gurrah says:

The only thing I liked about this was the option to skill for shotguns. Shotguns are awesome. Always. Apart from that, who’d want to play as that babyface, even with the beard he looked like a fake tanned frat boy…

21. Günter says:

I am mildly excited by this game. KOTOR 2 is buggy and ugly, but I love it anyway, and I expect this will be the case with AP. I am enjoying this trend of Role Playing Games that actually involve some degree of Role Playing.

22. Dante says:

@ DK

“And welcome to round three hundred and sixty seven of ‘blindly defending Obsidian despite them never having made anything but buggy messes”

I wasn’t actualy defending anything specific here, just pointing out the pointlessness of judging anything before you get a real look at it, the cheif occupation of more than a few RPS commenters.

But since you bring it up, you’re wrong. KOTOR 2 is far, far better written than KOTOR 1, which makes up for the bug problems caused by the insanely rushed release schedule.

23. Tei says:

The “Lets Play KOTOR2″ has changed my opinion about KOTOR2 and Obvisian. Now I really think “Obvisidian > Bioware” that Tworak comment.

The Mass Effect dialog system is a streamlined one, is slighty worst for historytelling, but since it make overal more sense, is slighty better. Obvisian could have used both, really, and make something great.

I am looking forward for this game because is Obvsidian. I am somewhat unconvinced about the graphics, but who cares.. this one will be awesome.

24. MrBejeebus says:

i like the look of it but some of it still looks patchy

25. Sam says:

I love the Fury hulk-out. That looks like a fun thing to do. For some reason I think I might play this game as SOMETHING other than my standard “highly charismatic thiefy-type.” Running towards my enemies as a bare-fisted howling bearded lout somehow tickles my fancy here where it hasn’t before.

26. bhlaab says:

I’ll take obsidian’s bugginess over bioware’s blandness any day of the week including weekends

27. Pete says:

@ Ebass:

I believe I read somewhere that dialogue will be timed, and that you can’t just keep going around and around the dialogue tree until you get all of the information you want. Granted, you could probably save before you engage a character or something, and go back if you don’t get the result you want, but what fun is that?

This is actually the thing that really peaked (piqued?) my interest in the game—the idea of quick, irreversible decisions that can result in allies or enemies.

28. The Pink Ninja says:

First time I saw trailers for this I thought it looked like a dog turd

Seocnd time I thought it looked amazing

Recently at E3 I cringed

And now it looks pretty damn sweet again

What the hell : /

29. The Pink Ninja says:

Also, in regard to the semi-supernatural things and Hulking out: I like it

This game is pretty silly and cheesy concept wise. I think those abilities suit it better.

Plus they look fun.

30. skizelo says:

Ah RPGs: for every million you put into making your game more believable, you throw in an option to make Jason Bourne wear a lumberjack beard, Ray Bans, and a cowboy hat.

31. Alex says:

EBass says:

That’s assuming that your first encounter doesn’t change the way they react to you for the rest of the game. :P Anyway, in another narrated video, they said that pissing a handler off can be just as rewarding as being friendly.

It sounds like they’re actually trying to make it a Role Playing game instead of a Dialogue Tree Gaming game. I hope they’re successful.

32. Alex says:

a lumberjack beard, Ray Bans, and a cowboy hat

From Mr Sawyer himself: “Lumberjack beard + Fidel Castro hat + aviators is the best combo IMO.”

33. Jeremy says:

With anything there is the chance to “game” the system. Every RPG ever has the ability to just choose the obvious best answer for good and evil, this seems like it might be a little more fluid. Also, maybe I’m just naive or an idealist, but I try to actually follow the RP in the RPG and choose the answers I might normally choose, as if I were playing the role. Role playing you might even call it.

34. JKjoker says:

the game look ok but i think im going to hate the conversations, is that timer really necessary ? they better put an option to turn it off

35. ZenMetzger says:

This conversation system reminds me of Fahrenheit, it worked quite well there. It sure did add a bit of tension.

Anyhow, not a big fan of the standard RPG conversation tree, so I understand why they are trying something new. At least it is not mass effect where the only real reason for “gut feeling” dialogue options was having less text to read, everything else was same old “pick all dialogue options till done”.

36. Duckmeister says:

I would probably try to game the system by finding out how each handler wants to be treated, and then whenever I talk to them I choose every option in that category. That way, no one will dislike me all that much.

37. Taillefer says:

I imagine the tact you take with characters affects your standing with other characters, and not just that one. Besides, having certain handlers love you may not actually have the most favourable consequences in the long term.

38. D says:

“Gaming the system” is surely missing the point of playing an RPG innit. I know I’ll aim firstly to make the decisions I’d like/chose the way I’d want to play, rather than aiming to please some non-existing ai entities. Aside from that, I’m not even sure I’ll get it – I haven’t been overly impressed..

When mr. walkthrough said “Your weapon is choice”, I pessimistically added “insofar those choices are related to how you outfit your weapons, neh.” Those are my thoughts on the matter, but I hope for the best anyways.

39. ilves says:

Why does this remind me of Mass Effect in modern day? The skills window looks similar, dialogue wheel similar, graphics…

40. LewieP says:

I am looking forwards to this game for sure.

41. inanimotion says:

Mass Effect!
    Looks so incredibly similar.

I’m excited now.

42. T. Slothrop says:

This is one game whose hype is assuredly unwarranted and a more cautious appraisal is necessary, but what’s that? Chris Avellone is working on this game?! {in best Clay Davis voice} Shiiiiiiiiiit, all sins are forgiven! Seriously though, this has promising and odious elements, sure the choice seems nice but the game will insult your intelligence (the wholly immersion breaking visual pointers that were in Mass Effect -and seem to be replicated here- to highlight the spare usable objects/containers, which appear from 20 metres away is one such thing). Also the magical powers your secret agent can receive seem highly arcade-y.

Also Chris Allevone seems kind of desperate for big studio dollars, that or Sega booth babes.

43. Adventurous Putty says:

I’m sooooooooooooooo excited. Chris Avellone’s presence gave me faith at first, and with each walkthrough video I increasingly get the feeling my faith will be rewarded.

Also, KOTOR II was the best story ever told in the Star Wars Expanded Universe, period. It matches the mythic storytelling of the original trilogy, albeit with a more mature (truly mature, not just DARKER AND EDGIER) twist.

44. Adventurous Putty says:

Mythic as in style-wise, not in terms of quality — I think we all know that we didn’t watch Star Wars for the originality of its plot, but its execution.

45. suibhne says:

That “Fury” animation just hurt my brain. That lameness alone could stop me from using a martial arts-based character.

46. Quests says:

I hate it when a character approaches an interactable object and “press X” pops up on my face.

Can’t a reticule around the item or the name of the object appear on screen? Why are players treated like dorks?

Erlend M says:

This is looking pretty damn good, as others here have said. They might want to reconsider the shoulder-shaking animation the character does in the video all the time, though. It looks like he’s sobbing. AND MAYBE HE IS, INSIDE?

48. Kadayi says:

Can’t say this was on my gaming radar, but after watching this its in the vault.

49. Tanner says:

I imagined him as going “HEH HEH HEH” the first time I saw it and ended up laughing my ass off every time he did it.

50. Radiant says:

Spy safe houses… LOOK AT THEM!
    Seriously boys if any of you find one and you live in Rome or… Barcelona; you’ll let me know right?