TOILET FACE! Splinter Cell Conviction Trailer

By John Walker on July 24th, 2009 at 12:43 pm.

I'd be more worried for whoever just weed in that loo.

Well, isn’t everyone tremendously excited about Splinter Cell: Conviction? There was a bit of fatigue setting in when the game was first announced… six hundred years ago, despite Chaos Theory still being well loved. Ubisoft had two factories making it at once, trying to produce one a year, and it didn’t bode well. Then it went quiet and they seemed to have the idea of spending ages on it, to make it really good. Well, it’s looking that way. There’s a new trailer fresh from Comic Con, in which you can enjoy the head-smashing, wall-crashing brutality of a Very Angry Man who wants his missing daughter back.

, .

1. Joshua says:

Duckmeister, no damage was done. Not that I give a shit what any of you think really (no offense), but as I pointed out, I did enjoy Chaos Theory as well.

@Paul_M what the hell does “evolved” mean. Just because Ubisoft added a bunch of features and take some away does not mean the game is “evolved.” This is not some sports game where the goal is to simulate real life so every feature that adds to that can be considered a step forward.

2. tmp says:

@tmp: yeah i remember that one but its now outdated, its missing a few panels

Yup it’s not an exact analogy. But i suspect this new direction has a lot to do with chasing after the market of straight shooter fans, which is likely perceived as bigger and more lucrative target.

3. Paul_M says:

@Joshua – goodness, why is evolved such a contentious word all of a sudden. I don’t really see what you’re getting at with the whole “real life” comment. How would you describe it? I just mean it has… changed.. mutated, evolved… What do you want from me? Please try and cool it a little – I fail to see how me calling the game “evolved”, in an oh-so-inflammatory way, apparently, is any different from Joker saying the existing features should “improve”. Healthy scepticism is great but some gamers seem to have blazing outrage as their default settings.

4. JKjoker says:

@Paul_M: they are not “evolving” anything, they seem to be following the trend of setting demolition charges on the franchise and then building a gears of war clone in the crater and covering it with left over Splinter Cell guts

5. SteveHates says:

This and Mafia 2 are without a doubt the two games I’m looking forward to the most.

And to people bitching about revamps like this being an “insult” to a franchise: your old games are still sitting on your shelf, unmolested. They didn’t cease to exist. Just because the game that’s being made isn’t the one that’s in your head doesn’t mean that anybody is spitting in your face or slapping your grandmother.

6. Heliocentric says:

Sometimes “evolution” results in retardation without killing the offspring, the offspring will pass this retardation to its offspring until a poor season or other such challenge results in total failure of that branch of the species.

Evolution in the classical sense can only be judged after the matter, true here too. Don’t tell me you have evolved, tell me you have changed, i’ll decide if this branching is valid.

7. JKjoker says:

@SteveHates: sigh, again, SCC could be the BEST game of the last 15 years and it still wouldn’t be a Splinter Cell sequel without favoring stealth

calling it a sequel without the key features is not an insult to the franchise, its an insult to the fans its luring in with a name that means something and delivering something completely different

8. Paul_M says:

@Heliocentric – By your definition, evolution may be positive or negative. You may of course interpret the word as you wish but other definitions exist outside of the “classical sense” and are equally as valid. Can we perhaps lay this irrelevant and tired pedantic discussion to rest?

9. Heliocentric says:

Evolving is changing without dying/being unable to replicate. But, the customer will decide if the sales are bad. Thats all i mean, i’m actually excited as the real splinter cell developers have yet to screw up.

I don’t like dow2 for example, but it wasn’t an abortive game, just not to my taste. I still care about the work of relic, i still care about ubi montreal’s work.

10. Goomich says:

“Winner of OVER 12 E3 awards”? They can’t count to 13, or 14 in Ubi?

11. Heliocentric says:

They won the pi award and 9 others. Handing out a specific value is hard.

12. Baggy says:

I hate to see the death of another stealth game. There are so few carrying the torch these days.

13. JKjoker says:

@Goomich: you think E3 awards have any value whatsoever ? they might as well say “ranks n°3 in the hypetrometer!!!!” it doesnt mean anything, the “game of the year” awards also mean nothing but at least i could say the ppl that hand those awards at least have the whole game on their hands, whoever handed the E3 award just watched trailers/techdemos

14. Psychopomp says:

I remember when being good at Splinter Cell meant you didn’t so much as touch a single person.

15. 净化工程 says:

This article proceeds of a lot of!

16. Wooly says:

Looks nice, but I miss the glowy green goggles… :<

17. Nafe says:

Wowzers. There’s an awful lot of false sense of entitlement going on in this thread.

I really enjoyed Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory and to a lesser extent Double Agent. I’m looking forward to this and hopefully it’ll be good – we’ll see.

I do find it tremendously amusing the people getting all wound up about it being called a sequel. It is one because they say it is one, it’s their intellectual property so they can do whatever they want. They could make a Sam Fisher tennis game and it’d still be a sequel. The only thing that’s relevant is whether it’s entertaining, currently I think it looks like it will be but we shall see.

18. Radiant says:

Yeah hopefully this is good.
    I don’t understand people who just want the same game as Chaos Theory but shiny.
    Yes Chaos Theory is good but it hasn’t gone anywhere it still is a good game.
    Hopefully this will be good too.

19. Dan says:

Looking forward to this one. Could be the game Bourne Conspiracy should have been.

20. Radiant says:

And who exactly is such a die hard /splinter cell/ fan that they get up in arms that “omg holyshit sam is younger!” or “omg rape the Queen where are the googles?”.

Just applaud a studio trying to take a risk by doing something different.

21. Funky Badger says:

Played Double Agent on the PS2 and it was great – some of Ironside’s best work. Got a copy on the Xbox360 and it was a big pile of pants.

Chaso Theory on the PS2 was also excellent (that one didn’t have the 3 alams and you’er dead thing, right?)

Plus, nearly all of them had a level on a ship. Which is great. There should be more games with levels on ships. What, oh… apparently all games already have levels on ships. Stand down, people.

Bit of a shame Hobo with an Attitude had to die though, that looked intermaresting.

22. Flappybat says:

Why all the moaning about changing the genre slightly? You can’t make the same game fifty times (unless it’s a sports game). It’s just like the new Bond.

23. tmp says:

Just applaud a studio trying to take a risk by doing something different.

Wouldn’t say making yet another regular shooter actually counts as ‘doing something different’ though. If anything it’s ‘doing less different’ in attempt to appeal to bigger market.

You’re basically asking to applaud conformity and that… well, is it really worth a praise?

24. SuperDuperMature says:

I miss the “reluctantly aging badass” over this Anakin-opening-a-can-of-whoopass-on-tuskan-raiders nerdrage Sam.

But whatever. Hey they added VATS which is cool so you can experience the cinematic action of a guy going Bam Bam Bam and dropping 3 guys in a heartbeat. Because games should be like movies.

25. Dreamhacker says:

I cannot help but look forward to this. Ubisoft has me hopelessly addicted to Splinter Cell…

26. Radiant says:

@TMP where else could you go with splinter cell after all the sequels?
    You can’t really do the same game again with new locations without tomb raidering yourself.
    Look at Halo after 3 sequels pretty much exactly the same they threw out an RTS.
    An rts splinter cell wouldn’t be much different then the spy levels in red alert 2.
    I just want the game to be a solid ‘whatever it is they are doing with it’.
    You know without turning it into a Wanted: weapons of fate clone.

27. Radiant says:

Thanks atlantic power leveling! I am special; I appreciate the recognition.

28. Psychopomp says:

@Nafe

There was no other stealth game like Splinter Cell. They gave us the masterpiece that is Chaos Theory, then decide “FUCK STEALTH PEW PEW!” We’re not “entitled,” we’re angry that we lost another great franchise to the sales monster.

@TMP where else could you go with splinter cell after all the sequels?

Well, see, the Tomb Raider controls were shit, and they absolutely refused to improve on the formula.
    Splinter Cell is smooth as butter, and all we want is more Chaos Theory. When we heard a new Splinter Cell from the good studio was being made, we didn’t think “I WANT TO SMASH HEADS ON TOILETS.”

29. Nafe says:

Well the “entitlement” comes from a company developing a game and you expecting it will fit certain criteria. I think it looks like an entertaining game and I’ll reserve judgement till arrives.

I can appreciate being disappointed that it’s not going to be the game that you hoped it would be, but being angry about it? Totally unjustified in my opinion.

30. Volrath says:

Looks like shit, just another franchise raped by Ubisoft. Deus Ex and Thief are next.

31. Volrath says:

Of course one could argue that Deus Ex and Thief were already raped so, eh never mind.

32. Oak says:

If you tolerate this, then your beloved FPS-RPG hybrids will be next.

33. tmp says:

@TMP where else could you go with splinter cell after all the sequels?

Anywhere. My point was, the particular direction they did pick was the most obvious and safe route they could pick for such tired IP. It had nothing to do with willing to take risks or doing something indeed different, which made the praise misguided.

34. DK says:

I hope it turns out that his daughters death actually was an accident. There’s noone to blame and he’s been going on a rampage and killing people for nothing.

Also, it’s more Max Payne than Max Payne 3 – screw Rockstar dragging down another franchise.

35. Psychopomp says:

“I can appreciate being disappointed that it’s not going to be the game that you hoped it would be, but being angry about it?”

We’re angry because Splinter Cell was the last of the good straight-forward stealth games

That’s it

THERE’S NO MORE.

36. Psychopomp says:

“My point was, the particular direction they did pick was the most obvious and safe route they could pick for such tired IP.”

That’s the thing, though. Most of us just wanted Chaos Theory 2, not The Bourne Conspiricell

37. Biz says:

The game is no longer coming out for PC

38. Biz says: