L4D2: All The ComicCon Footage, And Some

By Jim Rossignol on July 26th, 2009 at 5:28 pm.

The GameTrailers Flame-ringed Eye of Record-on was in attendance at San Diegeo Comic Con, and it happened to capture the soul of Valve’s Chet Faliszek, while also hoovering up tonnes of Left 4 Dead 2 in-game footage, which you can see below. Faliszek does the talky, while there’s also a load of shooty. And it rather reminds me why we love this game so much: violence, violence, quips and violence. The Charger is in there too. Beautiful stuff. I think you’re going to want to take a look…

, .

1. Flint says:

Can’t wait, looks absolutely awesome :D. More L4D is always a great thing.

2. Meat Circus says:

@Dominic White:

Looks to me like you’re the one being the angry cock.

If you wanna buy L4D2, knock yourself out. It’s just to me and a lot of people, it looks like a big pile of piss right now.

3. Vinraith says:

@Dominic White

Who first personally attacked who in this thread, a boycotter or an anti-boycotter? I’m distressed by the piss-poor level of discourse on both sides, but I’ve seen at least as many incoherent and senselessly hostile fanboy rants as I have boycotter rants.

4. Svenska says:

While I think the launcher/flame ammo is a tad over the top, I feel that this is just a video game.

If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it and move along.

5. lumpi says:

@Dominic White: What exactly do you prove with this post? To the “boycotters”? Yourself?

You don’t like people who complain? Go to the fucking army and become a drill instructor. You gonna love it, I’m sure. But allow the rest of the world to have an opinion (and, god forbid, post that opinion on the internets).

6. Meat Circus says:

@Vinraith:

I think you’re right about not being the target audience.

Fucking grenade launchers? If that’s not straight from the “sell out to the fratboy consoletards” playbook, I dunno what is.

It’s a great shame to be losing Valve to the dark side, but I suppose it was inevitable.

7. Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

SWAT 4 was pretty brilliant. There’s what we need: a tactical zombie shooter. That’d be a BLAST.

8. Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

The grenade launcher is a good addition to the weapon line-up: it gives the holder devastating medium-range capability, but nothing at short range except melee (unless he wants to blow himself up!).

The voice work in these videos is very poor: flat, uninspired acting. We know Valve understands and can achieve good voicework, so I’m going to assume for now that most of the voice work we heard was placeholder, and that the final dialogue is not yet recorded.

Great atmosphere in the bayou there, too; I might pick this up on a weekend sale, just to try out the environments.

9. coupsan says:

The grenade launcher could be a good idea except, in the video, the player has thirty rounds. I guess you’d need that many if it’s going to replace your primary, but still.

10. Antlia says:

*sigh

What are you complaining, guys? Valve hasn’t yet aborted L4D and the authoring tools are out, so we will see much more content soon. Maybe everyone doesn’t have time to make a campaing, but supposedly we get more Survival-maps and maybe few good campaings (I myself am making one).

New characters look good in my opinion and they seem more realistic to me than the ones in original game. These are less stereotypic and fit well in the new environments, especially the daytime ones.

If you don’t like it, you don’t buy it. So simple. I still don’t stay that you shouldn’t tell your opinions out.

11. Vinraith says:

@Meat Circus

Honestly, at this point my concern is what happens to Half Life and Portal if they go down that road. L4D isn’t that great a loss, but if L4D2 sells a bajillion copies the clear implication will be that all that commitment to quality and support has been a waste of potential profit on their part. I don’t want to see two of my favorite gaming franchises cheapened and destroyed by that mentality.

12. psyk says:

Ahhh garsh I have a nice gaming pc sitting behind me I use one of these http://www.steelseries.co.uk/proddata.php?partno=E3128&desc1=SteelSeries%20Ikari%20Laser to game with, unlike you I also own a 360 and have the brain power to go in to the options and up the sensitivity.

13. PeacefulSunday says:

@Vinraith

That shift in Valve’s focus is my worry as well. It’s sort of implied in a recent interview with Lombardi that the hand crafted, lovingly detailed stuff like they would develop for Episode 3 takes too long and isn’t as profitable as the cookie cutter implementation they use in L4D2.

14. lumpi says:

@Vinraith

You have a point there. I too think I am less complaining about L4D2, than the direction it will teach Valve to go in the future. If this does sell like crazy, it wouldn’t make any sense for Valve, from a business standpoint, to produce anything but rushed addons for the future (something Valve has never done in the past). And if the press is jumping the bandwagon and praises this half-assed attempt at a sequel into oblivion, nobody except us is even left to complain.

Sure, everyone else is doing it, but so far, Valve has been better than that…

15. Meat Circus says:

@Vinraith (and everyone else it seems)

Whilst we’re busy mourning the passing of the old, good Valve we knew and love, I think it’s worth waiting until something not shit is released.

Just because L4D2 looks like a shameless, tossed together wank fantasy for Valve’s new consoletard fanboys, doesn’t mean that Valve has definitely entirely abandoned their Not Idiot fans just yet.

Do they deserve the benefit of the doubt?

16. lumpi says:

Do they deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Of course, but if they don’t turn around before the release of Episode 3, I have little hope.

Is there a “new Valve” anywhere in sight? Like the new and innovative companies the 90ies produced (most of which are now “2K [Name of the city they're in]“)? I wouldn’t mind if there was any company that seems worth replacing Valve, but I don’t see any. Which is probably why I cling so much to their commitment to quality.

17. psyk says:

The sad thing is when HL3 isn’t as good as everyone wants its going to get blamed on this even though there made by different people.

18. GabeTheHutt says:

Trust us a little.

;P

19. Tei says:

It looks like “Work in Progress”, but is better than the first videos. Here we see *changes*, the original videos where un-changed L4D1 gameplay with new maps. Now voices are starting to pop (placeholder or not), we see the new boss (this charger things looks interesting, but it will be laughable at in versus, because is easy to kite for good players ). So.. I see a game that is growing and becoming better.

20. Meat Circus says:

Also, working in Valve’s favour, is the fact that at the cost of four economy class return tickets, they’ve got the RPS hivemind believing the sun shines out of Gabe’s arse…

21. Stupoider says:

Meat Circus, you obviously have problems with the game.

Please don’t make us sad by drowning us in your tears, because most of us are eagerly anticipating this release.

22. Vinraith says:

@Meat Circus

Of course they deserve the benefit of the doubt. It’s my intention to voice a concern, not to imply that a decent into mediocrity is inevitable.

But if people wonder why some of us are so passionately concerned about a game that we’re unlikely to play, it’s helpful to explain that it’s less about the game and more about the implied direction of one of our favorite developers.

23. Meat Circus says:

@Stupoider:

It looks to me like opinion is roughly equally split.

It’s certainly not the Universal Acclaim that (inexplicably) Mr Rossignol was pretending would be unleashed by watching these notably mediocre clips.

24. Meat Circus says:

@Vinraith:

You’re asbolutely right. I’m not at all concerned by one more shit console shooter I won’t have to play, but I am DEEPLY concerned that we are losing Valve to the Other Half. You know, THEM.

25. obo says:

@Meat Circus: “Do they deserve the benefit of the doubt?”

Aren’t you the one slagging a game you haven’t played yet, five times in one thread?

26. Meat Circus says:

@obo:

I want to believe.

27. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Maybe they will do a promo: buy 3 follow-ups of L4D and get one HL3 for free*
    ————–
    *valid until Judgment Day

28. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Why do you even stick around this hive of scum and sellouts then Meat Circus?

Not only will I pick this up in some sort of sale/deal thingy but I think I will enjoy it as well.

29. Meat Circus says:

@Mad Doc MacRae:

Because we all have a blind spot for Valve, one way or another. Whether we’re judging them too harshly, or announcing they can Do No Wrong, attitudes on RPS to Valve are not like attitudes to other developers.

They are a Special Case.

30. Leman says:

Am I the only one that really liked the new cajun music added into the theme?

Sounds brilliant.

31. coupsan says:

@Leman

Yeah, it’s really good!

32. Savant says:

Meh. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I’ll be waiting for this to go half-price before I buy. I got suckered in once paying full-price for half a game, this time I’ll wait until it is half-price so I don’t get screwed again. Looks like a nice expansion, but I certainly won’t be paying full price for it. I can wait.

33. Stupoider says:

@Leman: I loved it. The music is shaping up to be fantastic!

34. Funky Badger says:

Meaty: if you’re not embarressed by this…

…then you really should be.

35. Meat Circus says:

@Funky Badger:

You think 30-round grenade launchers are a good idea in a game that’s supposed to be a terrifying struggle for survival?

36. psyk says:

The first one was a “terrifying struggle for survival” completely missed that.

37. A-scale says:

I must say that I’m not a fan of this title, but it seems tha the adulators have been far more vocal, moronic and rude thus far. Insufferable indeed.

38. Meat Circus says:

@Psyk:

I admit there was something of a shortfall between intent and execution.

39. psyk says:

agree “terrifying struggle for survival” would of been nice instead we got basically a racing game.

40. Jacques says:

Meat Circus, you might want to consider the fact that some of us play games because they’re fun.

I’m not entirely sure what sort of game you’re after, sounds to me like you’d enjoy something like ARMA 2 or OP Flash 2 far more than a game that’s about surviving hordes of zombies.

I know it may come as a surprise, but there’s a reason why games like D2 are fun, people enjoy mowing down hordes of enemies with silly weapons, and this looks like it’s going to be a fantastic example of it. Weapons that make you feel OP, but without a decent team, as demonstrated in the videos, you won’t be having an easy ride.

I’m not really seeing how you can justify someone holding a huge amount of assault rifle clips or 200+ shotgun shells but a few grenades is breaking the game.

41. Dominic White says:

So, what’s wrong with the grenade launcher? That it can kill multiple infected quickly? Doesn’t every single weapon in L4D fit that description? The assault rifle is an almighty death-hose, the shotgun brings death to all, 3-4 zombies at a time, the hunting rifle is a goddamn railgun capable of killing a half dozen critters in one shot. Having 30 shots (likely to be balanced to a lower number by launch, I’d imagine) that are likely to be exhausted within two minutes isn’t going to ruin the game. Not only that, but it makes for a lousy up-close weapon, which (given the speed of all the enemy types) is pretty much essential.

42. Tei says:

A really good racing game, with a really good team deathmatch mode.

I think is not really important if the target was “terror” or “action”, if the result is really fun :-)

43. reginald says:

@ Gabe the Hutt:

don’t worry, I trust you. also, Shadowcaster ruled !

44. Jacques says:

Did anyone think the first game was at all scary anyway? I certainly didn’t, and while fun, the weapons certainly got boring after a few campaigns.

45. Rei Onryou says:

This looks good. Fine if people don’t think full price is going to be value for money, but it still looks like great fun, and that’s what really matters.

M79 grenade launcher, yes please!

46. Psychopomp says:

@Meat Circus

Get that fucking stick out of your bum, take off the tinfoil hat, and learn what an opinion is. The Hivemind isn’t the only lot looking forward to this game, and just because *you* think it looks shit, doesn’t mean anyone who thinks it looks good is a drooling fanboy.

I can’t recall a single time I’ve seen you make a comment on *anything* that didn’t make me want to punch in my monitor. You’re a one man steam forum, with better spelling and grammar.

@Savant

“I got suckered in once paying full-price for half a game”

“Man, look at this weak book. It’s only a few hundred pages, so they didn’t even finish it! Now, this one thousand page fantasy monster, *that’s* a complete book!”

That’s how stupid everyone who complains about a games length sounds.

THE GAME

I don’t see how the characters are annoying everyone. Are southern accents annoying people to who aren’t used to them? I’m from the south, and they’re not over the top at all, I don’t even hear the accent.

LOVE the music, and the sound design in general.

@Jackflash

“Not to put too fine a point on it, but why would you use a suppressor on an uzi in a fight against zombies?”

L4D zombies are drawn by sound, above all else.

47. lumpi says:

Gabe the Hutt… lol

I don’t mind the grenade launcher either. What’s wrong with it? Better don’t find any arbitrary faults in a state of rage, since it diminishes the more valuable complaints…

48. ChaosSmurf says:

So this game is crap because it’s vaguely similar but subtlety different form another critically acclaimed and amazingly popular game?

Just checkin’

49. Sabre says:

Unimpressed to be honest. The voice acting is dry and unemotional, and I can’t say I’m a fan of the new character designs. It all feels… well, gimmicky and second rate. At this stage I’d have thought it would have been a bit better, a bit sharper. The prospect of running through a campaign attacking enemies with soley a fire axe sounds amusing, but I can already do that in Team Fortress 2.

I don’t doubt that the game would be fun to play – its still the same core concept and gameplay as L4D1, but I’ll pass on this. I’m still waiting out for Episode 3.

50. lumpi says:

PS: Psychopomp, I don’t care one bit what makes you “punch your monitors”. Ever considered the fact that you go on as many peoples nerves? Take some anger management courses and deal with the fact that some people think this game is a rip-off.