L4D2: All The ComicCon Footage, And Some

By Jim Rossignol on July 26th, 2009 at 5:28 pm.

The GameTrailers Flame-ringed Eye of Record-on was in attendance at San Diegeo Comic Con, and it happened to capture the soul of Valve’s Chet Faliszek, while also hoovering up tonnes of Left 4 Dead 2 in-game footage, which you can see below. Faliszek does the talky, while there’s also a load of shooty. And it rather reminds me why we love this game so much: violence, violence, quips and violence. The Charger is in there too. Beautiful stuff. I think you’re going to want to take a look…

, .

1. Stupoider says:

The nade launcher replaces your primary weapon though, plus it’s not suited to close quarter combat. There’s probably more chance of friendly fire too, so there are pros and cons, in no way is it OP.

2. RabidZombie says:

Grenade Launcher actually looks under powered to me, due to it’s MANY flaws. However, I suspect it may be effective against special infected like the Tank. I guess balance is restored.

@Meat Circus: You a hypocritical angry internet man IMO. Hoeever, this is just my opinion, like yours that L4D2 sucks.

3. Meat Circus says:

@RabidZombie:

You have a low threshold for what you consider “anger”. It feels to me more like “mild amusement” that so many seem to care what I think.

FWIW, when L4D2 hits 15 quid, I might consider it. And I might even enjoy it for a bit.

But FULL PRICE? I think not.

4. psyk says:

“for noobs and poor people who can’t afford a video card, which seems reasonable”

How does someones ability to afford a graphics card got anything to do with a weapon in the game to many sly digs at consoles by elite pc gamers its unreal you people need to get a life there aint nout wrong with the consoles there equally as fun to play as a pc and thats the whole point of gaming to be having fun.

5. psyk says:

supposed to be “graphics card have anything to do with” not “got”
    And GarshDarn adding to my earlier reply to you have you ever seen for example cod 4 being played at high sensitivity on the consoles im guessing not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOK0lHIcd4&feature=related there you go, there not good but you can see its anything but slow thank you devs for option menus.

6. coupsan says:

@psyk

Consoles have poorer controls in general. Watching one of the videos it is clear that the player has trouble aiming at a Boomer, which, really, shouldn’t be hard to hit–at all. They aren’t bad to play games on, they’re just not as precise as “pc gamers” would like them to be.

And regarding the comment on graphics cards and grenade launchers: if you cannot maintain a smooth framerate, you can bet that it’s going to be more difficult to aim a gun than it would be if you were playing on a computer that could maintain a very smooth framerate. If you have a grenade launcher and a terrible computer, you could still kill lots of infected without needing to aim.

7. Psychopomp says:

“Same assets being reused, same engine, same ui, same gameplay, same game reskinned. A few new characters, levels and guns. You can even see the gameplay hitching just like the first game.”

I guess those were all just cheap cash-ins

@DK

“See any Relic expansion ever made for example.”

You mean those things that add one or two new races, and a half baked campaign?

8. Psychopomp says:

Oh, and incendiary ammo is real.

9. High Memetic 80s Hero says:

I can already see the grenade launcher being cut out of Versus mode, it would make a mess of Tanks.

Apart from that it looks like a hell alot of fun and i won’t have any hesitation picking this up release day. These boycotters need to stop acting like spoilt children, i’d rather give me cash to a Dev that pumps out quality titles than some of the other jokers around today.

10. Erlam says:

One of the gaming highlights in my life was definitely “dominating” Chet in a 2fort match.

He’s a stand up guy – hilarious over the mic.

11. Erlam says:

Oh, and “And to add my voice to the horde: it should have been an expansion for the first game for $25. I wasn’t happy with the amount of content or patches for the first one, they clearly started work on this a few months after LfD1 shipped, and I won’t be picking this up until it’s $20 in the bargain Steam bin.”

So if L4D was a terrible purchase for you, due to the ‘few’ additions like a new level and so on, what WAS a good purchase? Do you even buy games?

12. Guy says:

You know, if Left 4 Dead 2 REALLY didn’t have enough for a sequel, the boycotters wouldn’t have to try their hardest to downplay every addition.

Honestly, from the way some of them go on you’d think all they were adding was new skins for the characters and guns, 2 or 3 new maps, (not campaigns, maps) and a frying pan.

“The new additions in L4D2 are simply “dumb” and sound like they’re straight out of the ‘would be awesome’ notebook of a 13 year old: Grenade Launchers, fire bulllets!, gore!, zombies that are bulletproof on the front and can only killed from behind, chainsaw!, etc.”

Those things ARE awesome. Are you criticizing Valve for adding what people like?

13. Gutter says:

@Psychopomp : Fallout 2 is the only relevant example in your post.
    Dominion 3 : 3 years in dev
    Diablo 2 : 4 years in dev

I’m not saying that I side with the whiners here, but yes, L4D2 feels like a cash grab (and so did Fallout 2, to some extent). I had so much fun with L4D though, and I bought it without any DLC “preconceptions” and whatsnot that I don’t care, but I can see how some think that way.

I wish they’d shut the fuck up though.

@ Erlam : The problem (as I see it) is what they promised, not what they are offering. If they had just shut up about all the cool DLC that they promised to drop on us like if it was Christmas all year, no one would be complaining right now.

14. Psychopomp says:

@Gutter

I refuse to even acknowledge the “IT’S ONLY BEEN A YEAR,” complaints anymore, considering that was the first thing I thought.

Ask anyone who was in the Steam chat when it was announced, I was fucking livid.

Damnit, now I wanna play Dominions 3 again. WHERE’D THAT DISC GO?

15. vhati says:

unimpressed. Where is the zombie horror survival? Welcome to the survival for kids version. I willing to bet you dont even have to conserve ammo still.

16. Dagda says:

Vhati, I take it this is the first time you’ve heard of Left 4 Dead and have yet to actually play either game. Also, that you would criticize someone’s dog on the basis that it’s not a cat (to use one of Penny Arcade’s lines).

17. psyk says:

@coupsan
    mmm maybe but surely groups of zombies blowing up with limbs and blood flying everywhere is going to slow you down even more.

18. Psychopomp says:

“The worst part of the game is the fact the strongest way to play is rushing. Cause that is exactly what would get you killed in zombie horror movies. But not in L4D.”

“SOMEONES” never played on Expert

19. Psychopomp says:

Why is that in quotes?

20. Tei says:

1) Theres a infinite stream of zombies
    2) The director is slow to spawn zombies.
    3) If you are playing versus, the zombie players are slow to spawn.

As a result, If you can rush, in a versus game, you eat the other team alive. By the time the zombie team “feel” how the game is, your team is already more than half the level away.

Its probably a bad idea for Coop/Hard, but for versus is a ***DESTROYER*** strategy.

21. sigma83 says:

THe game doesn’t need to be harder per se, just needs to emphasis tactics more imo

22. JoeDuck says:

@Tei:
    Yes, because the zombies in Versus are “normal” level zombies. :-)
    Each “expert” zombie hits for 20 points of damage out of your 100 and friendly fire in expert can easily kill you in one shot.
    Running in expert is quite fun… and short.
    What we are doing in expert now and quite succesfully I must say, is having one runner go ahead and the other 3 a small distance after him so the zombies get shot from behind as they run towards the first guy. The problem is that it’s very, very difficult to stay in formation and keep the proper distance between the members. If the runner goes too fast, he dies under a hunter. If he goes too slow, he gets attacked from behind and is in the line of fire of the rest of the group. Also, if one of the “slow” 3 gets bogged down, the communication has to be smooth or the first guy will run on, alone and technically dead…
    So basically we don’t rush all the way, we do sprints to safe spots, regroup, sprint in 1+3 formation, regroup, etc.
    Works very well in open, long levels.

23. Premium User Badge oceanclub says:

Funnily enough, because of this thread, I decided to revisit L4D after many months and had a great old time in Survivor mode, with some people who weren’t twats and even got a Silver medal. Chalk an accidental -1 up for the boycott.

P.

24. JoeDuck says:

Oh, one thing I would do if i were at Valve (yeah ,right…)
    would be to apply difficulty levels also to the audio cues.
    As it stands now, we know a long time before that there’s a tank, a hunter or specially a boomer and a good team reacts to that automatically.
    In L4D, audio is so important but at the end, but so much of a giveaway of what’s going to happen that I think it would be great if the “superexpert” difficulty had audio cues that were more difficult to recognize.
    The obvious thing would be lowering the volume of the boomers, hunters, etc.
    Ideally, this difficulty should scale gradually from easy to expert as with the hit points and all the rest…

25. MeanCoffeeBean says:

I really don’t get the boycott proponents. It’s just a game. Claims that the sky is falling in the Valve Studios seem to be a bit of an overreaction. It’s not even done yet, no one has seen the final price point, yet preemptive zealotry is running rampant. Some perspective would be nice.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first L4D, and never even once played Multiplayer. I always ran single-player campaigns for fun. The idea of being assigned to a group of random strangers and being forced to hear their ravings and profanity just did nothing for me. In single-player there was a lot more tactics involved since your AI buddies only provide marginal support. I suspect this has made my gameplay perspective slightly different than most others’. Working through a campaign on Expert in single-player is a case-study in vantage points, moving from cover to cover, and working with limited ammunition.

26. reaper47 says:

It’s a discussion about a game on a gaming site. A PC-gaming site that is, so everything Valve-related is double-relevant. Sure, discussing gameplay is more fun, but I don’t think that DRM, pricing or corporate philosophy are irrelevant topics, either.

L4D2 looks like a meager title to justify the status of a true sequel. But I only played the L4D free weekends so far, so who am I to judge? Felt like I could play everything I could out of that game in a session of 8 hours or so, which is the reason I never got it. So the argument about lacking content seems to be quite accurate…

27. sigma83 says:

That 1+3 strategy sounds interesting. I may give that a go next time we’re out shooting zombies.

Also, what do vegetarian zombies eat? Graaaaaains

28. Jetsetlemming says:

Man, the effect for the spitter spit is neat. Bright and obvious, cool looking boiling oil effect that clearly lets you know “get the fuck out of this area here”. Shame that apparently nobody playing got that.
    Also digging the new gore system, it’s a nice contrast to Soldier of Fortune which I’ve been replaying recently. L4D2 looks WAY more detailed in that way.
    Awesome gore system, bunch of new zombies to mix up the game, bunch of new weapons so not everyone’s running for the same thing over and over, and more procedural events? I’m completely sold.

29. Chaloopa says:

really i hope there playing on easy cause a charger does not need to die with one hit with a frying pan