The Force Unleashed On PC, Parallel Story

By Jim Rossignol on July 26th, 2009 at 12:39 pm.

Third-person Jedi action of Star Wars The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition will be turning up on the PC in the Autumn, according to Lucasarts. The PC game is an expanded version of the original Force Unleashed game, with three extra single-player missions. Bizarrely, the new missions set up a parallel timeline within the Star Wars universe, in which the events of the original films play out differently, according the events of the game. The second new mission in this rebooted version of the game “re-imagines the Star Wars Saga as if the Secret Apprentice had taken Darth Vader’s place at the Emperor’s side, becoming the most powerful Sith Lord in the universe. The story picks up as the Emperor sends his new apprentice to Tatooine to dispatch Obi-Wan Kenobi – who has been hiding on the planet ever since the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith.”

The final new mission apparently sees you facing Luke Skywalker in the assault on Hoth, via a quick visit to Tatoonie, natch.

, , .

1. qrter says:

This news would’ve been a bit more exciting if the console version hadn’t gotten mediocre to bad reviews..

The 3 extra missions might indicate that it could be a possibly good port, though (my fear would be that it’d be an unoptimised monster like Assassin’s Creed on the PC was).

2. Dominic White says:

The main problem with the original release was that it just wasn’t playtested and tuned enough. If they’ve gone back to the drawing board long enough to include new levels, there’s a decent chance that they’ve tweaked the core gameplay as well. One can only hope.

3. Dominic White says:

And.. wait – what? I’ve got a mid-rangeish (ATI 4850) card and ran Assassins Creed at maxed out detail very nicely here. Not only that, but they added a bunch of mission types to the PC version. Unoptimized monster what?

4. Feintlocke says:

So a year on and suddenly everyone’s bought a “$4000″ system?

5. Sabre says:

I just ordered the novel to this yesterday because I was intrigued by the story and LucasArts had said it wasn’t coming to PC. Drat.

Well, here’s to hoping that they get it properly ported. Too many poor ports from LucasArts recently.

6. Hunam says:

Whilst the game has some entertaining parts, it’s mostly terrible with a big spoon of stupid. Seriously the story will have you screaming out in pain and wondering if Star Wars is even worth bothering with anymore.

7. Heliocentric says:

I’m going to cryogenicly freeze myself 20 years into the future and play this game on a midrange pc.

So excited for portal 3 when they delve into non linear time.

8. Muzman says:

They should give up and just go completely Rosencrantz and Gilderstern Are Dead with these plots. Make the lead hilariously responsible for all the mishaps that befall the main characters (think ‘Concerned : The rise and fall of Gordon Frohmann’) and lead fulfilling and creative lives behind the scenes, only to be killed off for the sake of continuity.

9. DMJ says:

Hmm. Lucas Arts is now doing the typical Lucas thing: “Hey everybody! Buy this! It’s awesome!” *wait a while* “Now buy it again in a superior version on this incompatible format!”

10. Flint says:

Such oddly negative comments here. I admit I haven’t played it myself but I watched my partner play through the whole thing – finally a game where Force really felt like a powerful, well, force rather than just some sidearm magic with funky Star Wars names tacked on top.

Horribly short game though.

Vandelay says:

I did think this game looked promising before we were told that they were only making it for consoles (because obviously a 360 is the equivalent to a $4000 PC.) Always been a fan of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games (even liking Academy,) and this looked to be in a similar mould, although with more outlandish force powers.

I know that the game ultimately ended up being fairly mediocre, but I’m not sure what aspects were underwhelming. Personally, I’m only really interested in being able to kill hundreds of stormtroopers with a lightsaber and to throw them around with the force powers. The story of Star Wars has always been pretty simplistic and that moment of “screaming in pain and wondering if Star Wars is even worth bothering with anymore” that Hunam mentions has long been passed with the prequels. So, as long as the combat is satisfying and makes me feel like an all powerful magic man with some enjoyable fights with other force wielding enemies thrown into the mix to spice things up then I’ll probably be in on this.

What is the multiplayer like? Any JK style of duelling?

12. JohnArr says:

Another positive vote here, I loved it and thought the story was one of the few Star Wars games to actually feel like Star Wars, which might be a good or bad thing for you :P

Plus they made a light-side jedi actually look cool.

13. Jonas says:

This news arrives the day after I finally caved in and bought the X-Box 360 version. Admittedly at a good discount, but still – extra missions sound interesting. Also a bit crazy – me kill Obi-Wan? I could never do that.

14. Xercies says:

Wow only about a year late so nobody cares since ti was a medicure game to begin with…way to go Lucasarts

15. Markoff Chaney says:

I think they said it would require a 4000$ machine BECAUSE they were planning an unoptimized port in the future. That way, when complaints start popping up from people that can play GTA 4, Arma 2 and Crysis with hardly any issues they can say “Did you spend 4000$? We told you it would take a 4000$ machine to run this bad boy.” It’s pre-emptive damage control. That and if the game’s shite and underperformed on the non hardware constrained supercomputer like consoles they have to recoup development costs somehow.

16. Ging says:

I enjoyed the shit out of the story, which was really well told – the gameplay wasn’t spectacular, but enjoyable enough to get me through the (admittedly short) game.

It looks like this version bundles up the DLC released for the 360 and throws in some extra stuff too (the Hoth mission).

17. unclelou says:

Too little, too late, after too much bullshit, and in the busiest season.

Once it hits the bargain bins, maybe.

18. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Cool news and all… but what’s with those nails?

Let’s hope we can mod the game. :)

19. jon_hill987 says:

This will sell badly, it is too late so no one cares any more, had they released it at the same time then it might have sold, but Lucasarts are just going to end up blaming the pirates for their own stupid mistake.

The whole business about the $4000 PC was a load of bull as well, a $400 PC is as powerful as an XBox 360 these days.

20. Scroggage says:

Silly Lucasarts and their wildly changing views on PC releases.
    I wish they’d leave the film era alone completely now and just carried on with better IPs like the Old Republic that haven’t already had a bajillion contradicting games set in them.
    Hopefully this will be the last thing they try to push that’s set during the films. I know it won’t be, but we can only hope.

21. Jim Rossignol says:

People who don’t own consoles wouldn’t have had an opportunity to buy this when it came out, and now they have one.

22. yutt says:

I played through all of this on the 360. Was a great rental, don’t think I’d purchase it though. The story was excellent, and the boss fights were epic, but the actual gameplay was very hit-and-miss. Some of the levels I felt were very poorly designed, both visually uninspired and needlessly confusing.

I remember nearly quitting the game after my brother and I failed to notice a key progressive step in a lava level. In the end we were trying to solve a puzzle that didn’t exist, but the game seemed to lead in that direction and not the proper.

Anyway. Fun game for Star Wars fan.

c-Row says:

The people I know who played it on that other Microsoft product all gave positive feedback, and I usually trust their opinion. They are like my offline RPS Wot I Think-ers.

24. Dominic White says:

On the 360, it was a decent game overall but the whole thing just felt a little underbaked. Another month or three with Valves playtesting division (watch as the trolls come to object to that) could have turned it from ‘decent’ into ‘great’.

I just hope that they’ve done a little more than just added new levels to the PC build.

25. Tei says:

If you have machines X,Y,Z, wen you optimize the game to run faster in X, it will run slower in Y and Z. If a game is optimized in all ways to run fast in X, it will be really slow in Y and Z. So maybe It make some sense that a game that run Ok, in a piece of hardware (XBox360) with only 512 MB RAM and outdated graphic hardware can’t run on a PC with 4 GB and a good 8800 nvidia card (a $400 PC )

Cameron Suey wrote:
    “[The] PC being the gaming platform that it is, someone with a $4,000 high-end system would definitely be able to play the Euphoria, the DMM and really technical elements of the game. But someone with a low-end PC would have a watered down experience, they would have to turn all the settings down and it wouldn’t be the same game. On the other hand if we made that game for as many people as possible, because we are trying to make mass market games, something that everybody can enjoy, well then it’s not taking advantage of what those $4,000 systems can do. So one way or the other depending on how you build that lead PC SKU, it’s not going to be for the same amount of people, it’s going to be not as good or only for a select few people.”

The $4000 could be a typo for $400 PC. But I don’t think this person is a tecnical-minded one. The use of the word “SKU” could be a tip that is a bussines one.

26. Tei says:

Is that, or the comment was made to make the Xbot users happy “Ooooh!.. I have a $4000 hardware here!”.

27. Hermit says:

Had this on the PS3. Its worst crime is that about halfway through it just starts reusing locations – almost identical level layouts and designs with just more enemies poured over the top. That and the dubius plot. And the god damned Star Destroyer bit.

Other than that, it wasn’t bad I suppose.

28. JKjoker says:

i hope this is a proper release and not another move from the new milk-the-old-games department of Lucasarts

im still hoping for a Tie Fighter remake ….

29. Philip says:

I’ve watched one of my friends play this on the Wii, wasn’t too impressed. Mainly because the lightsabre controls looked uninspiring, but in general it just looked like a long grind of identikit enemies and bosses strung arbitrarily together.

30. Azhrarn says:

“Jim said: I’m not sure how “too late” applies in this particular instance. Was there a Bad Jedi craze that has now passed?”

Well in a sense it is too late, they could have had the decency to release it anywhere near the original set, I mean it’s been 6 months or so?

Coupled with the derisive sneering they gave PC gamers when originally asked if the game would be coming to PC, I can certainly see why a “Too little, too late” stance isn’t surprising.

Yes it may be a better version of the original release, but that doesn’t mean that makes up for essentially calling PC gamers whiny idiots when the console version was announced.

31. Dominic White says:

@Azhrarn – And PC gamers totally aren’t proving themselves to be whiny idiots with petty grudges in this thread, are they?

32. We Fly Spitfires - MMORPG Blog says:

Meh, I’ll hold out for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

33. Howard says:

Meh.
    More 360 hand-me-downs from a franchise that hasn’t produced a good game in feck knows how long? No thank you.

34. Azhrarn says:

Not saying we’re giving a good example here Dominic, but when you’re going to re-release a game 6 months down the line for the only platform you said “piss off” too earlier, you can expect quite a lot of negative sentiment. And rightly so.

35. Seth says:

This is great news.

36. malkav11 says:

I wouldn’t trust the Wii version to correspond to what you’d be getting on PC. Only the PS3 and 360 got the real full version of the game, previously. And on 360 it’s got some niggling design issues (the targeting is -terrible-. I threw my escortee to his doom several times, on the one escort mission. Fortunately I thought that was hilarious.), but is generally a lot of fun. I mean, if you can remember how much fun it was to wreak havoc with Force powers in, say, Jedi Knight, and then map that onto a game with vastly better graphics (and very awesome level scenery), full physics, and with all of the Force powers turned up to 11….

And yes, this version includes the DLC. There’s some question about whether the Hoth level will be available separately, but other than that, all DLC. Lest you feel special, the PS3 and 360 will also be getting an “Ultimate Sith Edition” rerelease with the same content.

37. qrter says:

Six months? It came out september last year.

38. Charlie says:

I really hope they add dismemberment. It really felt stupid to me slicing people with a lightsaber and no bits every popped off. Really put me off the game. As someone said though, good story, excellent acting, just sub-par gameplay IMO. Deff worth a playthrough if your a Star Wars fan.

And LOL! I have the same computer I had 2 years ago and I bet it runs this game maxed out. Oh and it was only a 500 quid rig then.

39. The Fanciest of Pants says:

I for one approve of this developement.

40. jackflash says:

At this point, who cares? Why would I buy something that was released for consoles a year ago to middling reviews?

41. leelad says:

The demo on the PS3 was fun until I had to do DDR to chop an AT-RT in half.

If they remove that i’ll consider torrenting it…

42. Hunam says:

I’m losing faith in Humanity when people comment on it being a good story, the characters are pretty good and well acted, but the story is nuts

*(Spoilers ahead!)*

You basically go around murdering everyone just because and then you get cheated on again, just because and then you singly handedly take on Darth Vader and the Emperor and kick both their asses before you decide actually killing isn’t so great and then you get killed for not paying attention. Least that’s how the light side pans out.

43. IvanHoeHo says:

If this is as bad as the console versions and as un-modable as all other console ports are, then I don’t think they should even bother and save us all some time and money instead.

44. Persus-9 says:

@ Jim

I’ll have a stab at this. The problem for LucasArts as I see it is that PC gamers don’t exist in a vacuum. It’s too late because at this point a great many of the PC gamers who’ll hear about this game before just seeing it on shop shelves will also have felt the hype amongst their console brethren last year and their subsequent disappointment when it turned out to be a bit mediocre. If it had been released at the same time as the console versions they could have sold a lot of games on the back of the massive hype machine that they had running at that time where as now no matter how good it is they’re going to find it very hard to get any kind of excitement built up for this game.

Even as rational individuals we can have our expectations for this game lowered by the mediocre reception that the console version got and I wouldn’t be surprised if the herd turns out to be far less forgiving than any rational individual.

Of course as rational individuals we should also be happy that we didn’t get the opportunity to get caught up in the excitement and shell out £30 to discover that our version of this game didn’t live up to the hype and if it turns out that the PC version is the best then we can thank the console gamers for participating in such a massive paid beta.

45. lumpi says:

People, you better don’t complain!

It’s so uncool. Be happy about getting a mediocre game, a year late, after months of being ridiculed about your platform of choice being basically a purposeless, near-extinct mammoth that isn’t worth being developed for.

Now, dance, mofos, dance and cheer like there is no tomorrow!

46. Baris says:

@Tei: Can you please explain to me what the hell Xbot actually means? Is it implying the machine is some sort of robot? That the players have such great skills their opponents think they’re robots?

47. Klaus says:

Hmm, I didn’t like the ps2 version, perhaps the newer console versions were better. This is one of the few games where I felt I was burned by the hype. The story was so-so, somethings I liked, other things were bleh. Especially my ‘girlfriend’, Juno.

@leelad
    No love for quicktime events? It’s the only reason Marek gets to look cool.

48. Pantsman says:

He goes and kills Obi-Wan, then he comes back and kills the Emperor in single combat and becomes the new emperor. Then he uses his AWESOME FORCE POWERS to build like a million death stars and take over the entire universe because he’s just SO COOL!

49. suibhne says:

Not a great game, really. Lightsaber combat in this game is a mere shadow of that in Jedi Knight or Jedi Academy, and level design compares even less well. I can only hope that Lucasarts chose to back the port as a strategic longer-term investment in future PC development.

50. Sunjammer says:

on the 360 the game had serious targeting issues, which i think mouse control can mend. No control updates can fix the shitty ass lightsaber combat (light-baton more like. Bop bop!) or the bizarre reliance on quicktime events for every single boss fight.