Mod Magic: New Diablo II Resolutions

By John Walker on July 27th, 2009 at 2:22 pm.

Look how tiny they are!

We’ve done some psychic research and are aware quite how many Diablo II fans there are reading. Loads of you. So there should be some smiles at the news that there’s an unofficial patch to finally let you play it at a decent resolution. If you’re still playing the game, and we know you are, you’ll know the frustration of the limitations. Fret no more! (The small catch is it means you can’t play online.) You can get the patch from ModDB, and then play the game in any resolution your monitor is willing to present.

, .

1. Jacques says:

Huzzah!
    Shame that Warden is so shit that it prevents you using stuff like this online though :(

2. sigma83 says:

Huzzah! I just this week reinstalled my D2

3. antonymous says:

So on bnet this will be classified as a map hack and get the account banned, right?

4. Heliocentric says:

Diablo 3 just lost sales. Not mine, i have titan’s quest.

5. Vanguard says:

You can’t even Log-on with it.

6. Jacques says:

Antonymous, not as a maphack, but a third party application, so yes.

7. Torgen says:

This makes me so very, very happy.

8. Ian says:

That screenshot has RED in it!

Typical WoW-alike nonsense, says I.

9. Tim James says:

The other catch is that it doesn’t fix the inherent coded problem of enemies being turned off until you get within the bounding box designed for the original screen size. 800×600 still looks okay to me.

10. Jacques says:

Tim, really? I can recall being able to hit enemies with my bow amazon that I couldn’t see on screen.

11. jsutcliffe says:

I’m still waiting for someone to do this for Starcraft. It looks pants on a LCD monitor.

12. Tei says:

Modding is unstopable!. We don’t need a SDK, we don’t need readable script!, we don’t need unencripted files!. Everything will be modded, forever!!.. Helll Yea! Modders FTW!.

13. Jacques says:

Tei, except in this case, modding means you’re unable to play on Battlenet.

14. Nobody Important says:

Great; I just bought the Diablo Battle Chest a few weeks ago!

Honestly, Diablo 1 and 2 are pretty awesome. I can’t say I need Diablo 3 in my life.

15. Clovus says:

Heh, I was thinking about Diablo II the other day. I saw the Diablo 2 Battle Chest for $29.99 USD at Target. I’ve recently bought Fallout 3 and Empire Total war for just $25.00 (via Steam). How is it possible that Blizzard hasn’t actually bought its own country yet??

I enjoyed Diablo II a bit and will eventually buy Diablo III if it ever drops in price, which I guess wil never happen unless it really sucks.

16. Dave says:

I wonder how long people will be saying “I don’t need Diablo 3″ when it’s in every store in town, beckoning…

17. Xocrates says:

@Jacques: I’m guessing here, but I think what Tim meant is that enemies outside the screen won’t move until they’re in view. You can notice this at places even at 800×600.

More on Topic. Personally I’m going to stick with 800×600, as the grainy graphics never bothered me. I would also say this gave me the will to replay the game, but that’s a lie as I already finished the game enough times to go into the double digits (including once this year) so it may take a while until I do that again :(

I really need Diablo 3

18. Jeremy says:

Add a few extra pixels of resolution doesn’t change an old game, it just makes it look prettier, something that I really don’t care about too much :) I love Diablo 2, but have played it to the bones, I’m readily waiting for D3!

19. Benny says:

Blizzard do have their own country Clovus, it’s Korea! And it will most likely implode when Starcraft 2 is released.

Guess it’s time to whip out Hamachi and replay this all over again.

20. Jacques says:

Xocrates, you’re probably right, the only place I ever noticed that was in the cow level.

I’m also one of those people that like 800×600, means I can play in windowed mode and check on other things in between MF runs.

21. CPY says:

How can 1 game kicks so much ass even so many years from release? Screw diablo 3 give more diablo 2 datadisks :D
    This game have epic atmospherics, epic music, epic gameplay well i have high hopes for diablo 3.
    Still todays crappy games that nobody likes will be good old games, i just love that paradox! (Not diablo)

22. diebroken says:

Mmmmm – high res for old games…

*hugs Fallout High Res Patch*

23. SwiftRanger says:

Hmm, I am wondering what the imminent 1.13 patch for D2 will contain, a true official higher resolution?

24. Jacques says:

No sure Swift, Blizz asked the D2 community the one thing they’d like to see, and for most people it involved changing items like the Enigma runeword.

25. Vinraith says:

VERY nice! Pity about the MP compatibility, but at least I can go have another swing at a game I’d thought was permanently rendered unplayable by its resolution constraints.

I don’t really get all the “hahaha no Diablo 3 for me!” chatter, why would people excited about revisiting 2 have no interest in 3? Barring something unforseen I’ll be hard pressed not to pick it up VERY close to launch, personally.

26. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Now how about some Resident Evil 1 mod so it works in Vista and a Resident Evil 2 mod that allows me to play in resolutions higher than 640×480 and about a quarter of the screen, yes?

27. Bremze says:

@Heliocentric: I have played many top down action rpg’s(rogue-like-lite-likes aka diablo clones), but nothing has ever bored me as much as titan quest. Its horrible, like they missed the entire point of that kind of games. All the good spells have huge cooldowns making it pointless to use anything thats not the most basic spells skills, and most warrior skills were ”Yay, now your normal attack has a chance to hit multiple enemies woop!”. Also all the enviroments look almost the same, but that might be because I got only to act 2 or something.

28. ascagnel says:

@jsutcliffe:

There is a similar hack for StarCraft. I stumbled across it once when I was PC-less, shrugged it off since there wasn’t a Mac version, and now am kicking myself that I can’t find it for my new PC :(

29. Joseph says:

“The small catch is it means you can’t play online.”

It would have done to put this in the title in big red letters IMO.

30. Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t get why one would want this. It isn’t really higher resolution. All you get is zoomed the hell out. Meaning to see even the slightest of details, you’d have to have your nose connected to your screen to sse them. In that position, the pixel probably look pretty much the same.

… and about not being able to play on teh internets: the 1.13 content patch is coming out soon, so in a few weeks everyone will be playing online anyways. No use getting used to another resolution.

Oh yeah, and Diablo3 sucks penises in hell. Just to include the obvious.

31. Lafinass says:

Isn’t this really old? Dunno if it’s the same patch, but I’ve been playing D2 at 1680×1050 for like 6 months.

32. heartless_ says:

Never played D2 and don’t really care to. D1 is where its at IMHO.

33. Xocrates says:

@Kakksakkamaddafakka: It’s obvious that a game that is probably years away, and is being made by one of the top developers in the market, is going to suck?

34. Seth says:

Only put about 5 hours or so into D2 previously. Looks like it’s time to remedy that.

35. Supraliminal says:

Bigger resolution? It doesn’t make it any better as a game.

36. James O says:

Being able to see four screenlengths in every direction is pretty awesome, but since the UI elements stay at their original bitmap sizes, your health and mana globes get really tiny and easy to miss at higher rezes.

37. Kotti says:

Well that’s nice, I bought D2 a few days ago.

38. We Fly Spitfires - MMORPG Blog says:

Sweet. D2 wasn’t as good as Diablo but it was fun. Looking forward to D3 when it comes out in 2013.

39. Vinraith says:

I just know I’m going to regret asking this, but having played both I can’t say I understand why people are championing D1 while lambasting D2.

40. Xocrates says:

@Vinraith: Probably because D1 was more atmospheric and (slightly) more RPG-ish. Not to mention that by having seniority it biases a lot of opinions.

All in all it’s entirely a matter of opinion, as otherwise D2 is a much larger game with a lot more gameplay and story dept.

c-Row says:

Opinions over at ModDB don’t seem to be very clear, so… does this require the LOD expansion or will it work with Diablo 2 standalone?

42. inanimotion says:

Pretty useless without online play…
    I wish Blizzard would adapt this. I would play again.

43. Chris R says:

+1 to the comments about Blizz adding this officially. Psssstttt… hey guys… it’s two-thousand nine. Lets get with the program shall we? Chop chop.

44. Starky says:

Blizzard won’t adapt this because it involves strentching the camera (zooming out) allowing players with higher resolutions to see more of the map – which is an unfair advantage and so will never be implemented.
    What they SHOULD do though is allow users to stretch the game to size (keeping the same veiw/camera point) and have the wide-screen resolutions put in black borders on the left and right to keep things at 4:3.

45. mpxd says:

@jsutcliffe, ascagnel

There are actually two I know of, one at http://www.starcraftresolutionhack.de.vu/ (by ‘McBane’) and one at gamethreat.net (search “starcraft resolution” in the forums, it’s written by ‘hellinsect’). I’ve had better luck with the second, but both seem to be working for me now. They make Starcraft look quite amazing, aside from a few bugs (the resource display and messages are still in their original positions, and some resolutions don’t seem to work for me).

46. Kynes says:

No online isn’t exactly a small catch, it kills the mod for me :( All of my characters are online just in case I do any multi. What Blizzard should do is allow one way exporting of character data, so I could take my b.net character to single player, but not the other way around.

47. silverhammermba says:

Wow, I actually beat RPS to the punch. I found this mod on Saturday and am now in Act II with my level 21 Barbarian, Clide. It is a bit eye-straining though.

48. unclelou says:

I played it through again (after many years) with this mod a while ago, and I can confirm it’s still the best game ever.

49. Alaric says:

I’m going to be killed, but…

Diablo II sucked. There, I said it.

While the first Diablo was interesting, novel and looked pretty and unusual, the second one was boring, ugly and tedious. When you enjoy a game the point of which is to click on animations until they stop animating… something is wrong.

You could do it if the story is good. Sure. However, the story was … well, about the quality of Doom 2.

You could do it if the game looks gorgeous. Sure. But the original Diablo 2 was 640×480 in year 2000. Yea, sure in 2001 it was increased to 800×600 if you bought an expansion. Whoopti-doo. Just to compare, Total Annihilation, which was released in 1997 scaled to ALL resolutions.

/sigh

I’ll never understand why mediocrity is ever so popular.