Demigod Demo Has Risen!

By Jim Rossignol on July 30th, 2009 at 8:23 pm.

The Demigod demo has finally, suddenly emerged from the storm of patching that was post-release Demigod development. Siphon its 598mb from here.

While we’ve not been back in recent weeks, we’ve had a few reports that the connection issues are now largely solved, making the internet multiplayer of the demo a rather interesting prospect. Will the demo kick off a second wind for the game? I hope so, as it was a fun time. Anyway, this cut-down version of the god-thumping strategy features a single arena, called The Cataract, and four of the eight Demigods (Regulus, Rook, Sedna and Lord Erebus.) No Oak, alas, for he is a splendid being. Still, you’ll get a kick out of Rook and Erebus. Additionally, you can check out the four game modes (Conquest, Dominate, Fortress and Slaughter), which are all contained therein.

I’ll try and revisit Demigod over the weekend and see if we can’t get some more idea of how the battle for the pantheon is going, all these months on.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CJohnson03 says:

Highly recommend buying this game if you like the demo. Don’t go near the AI skirmishes though, they pale compared to online skirmish or Pantheon play.

They’ve fixed nearly all the network and gameplay issues, I’ve been having a lot of fun with this game in the last few weeks.

2. Vinraith says:

Ah, finally. I have my doubts about this one (deeply exacerbated by CJohnson’s post above) but it still looked interesting enough to try.

3. Jim Rossignol says:

The AI skirmishes are a good start for beginners – there’s no tutorial! – but I dunno if they are included in the demo.

4. Vinraith says:

So what I’m hearing is “if you’re not interested in playing adversarial MP with strangers online, don’t bother.” Is that about right?

5. Railick says:

Well you’ll also be playing Co-Op with 3 other strangers ;P

6. Blather Blob says:

They also seem to have made it available through impulse, if you have that installed.

7. LewieP says:

Heh, from the Impulse newspost on the demo:

“Download the demo now exclusively at FilePlanet.com!”

Or go to Gamershell where you don’t have to register just to get a bloody demo.

They should also reduce the price of the game round about now. It is £24.43 direct from the publisher, or £17.73 retail.

8. Vinraith says:

@Railick

That’s worse, actually. :) I’ve neither the time nor the patience to play games with random people, and there’s no way I’d be able to talk 7 friends into buying this (let alone coordinate all being online at the same time) so if all its good for is MP then, for me, it’s not good for anything. Pity.

9. SwiftRanger says:

AI isn’t too bad to start with, game itself is ace and relatively cheap for Europeans on Impulse at least.

Two new Demigods will be released in August as well.

10. Heliocentric says:

Stardock’s Brad says the community are twat. Until i read that i was excited about getting demi for cheap (its £15 in pc world for example) but then i remembered that dota players who speak the most tend to be shits. Its the genres fault, min maxing is everything there.

In a fps(anything from counterstrike to halo), most people can handle if you cant aim, or don’t know the map. Because hey, the team stands a fair chance even without you. In an rts you don’t mind having nubs as its generally a free for all. But when someone else might cause your perfect 10 win run to fail? Because the dota demands all players min max and play to best effect? When its actually objectively their fault? Then the fucktards get noisy.

11. Heliocentric says:

Sorry lewie but yeah, 15 at retail, pc world. :)

12. MrBejeebus says:

I bought it but got a 75% refund on impulse – it just wasnt that enjoyable for me and i was plagued by networking issues

this was about a month ago, so it wasnt before all the patching

13. Pani says:

I’m waiting this to go on sale. Too bad it’s not on Steam – those weekend sales are yummy and Demigod would go down a treat.

Any idea how to keep track on best pricing/specials for said game?

14. Vinraith says:

@Pani

You realize that all the digital distributors have sales, right? Just keep an eye on the Impulse sales page.

15. jonfitt says:

I’m hoping for a sale now the demo is out. $40 is a bit more than I want to spend.
    I guess I’ve been spoiled by getting some crackers for under $10 recently: $9.99 each for World of Goo and Braid, and then $7.50 for Men of War.
    I’d jump at $20-25, maybe the demo will up that value.

16. Railick says:

How did the sales go down for this any how?

17. cyrenic says:

I think they might be giving away too much of the game in the demo (kinda like the UT2004 demo). Cataract is easily the best 3vs3 map, and 4 demigods can last you for a while. I already have the game, but this demo could have lasted me a while.

Anyway, the game is a fun time. I found the community to be about average, no more jerks than a similar amount of TF2 play would encounter. The community is pretty small, so you’d run into the same people a lot, which led to people being civil for the most part. I imagine the demo community will be quite a bit worse.

And if you’re in the US, I think you can grab it from Walmart for $30 now. My local one was selling it for that much at least, and it wasn’t just a sale.

18. jonfitt says:

Can the demo players play full game owners like Multiwinia?

19. fishmitten says:

Hmm… It’s not really clicking after a couple of matches, but there are obviously a few layers of depth there and the game looks fairly impressive maxed out.

20. Chiablo says:

Did they ever introduce new Demigods to play?

21. cyrenic says:

@jonfitt

Demo players have a separate matchmaking lobby, but if you own the game you can still download it to play with friends trying the demo. I know I will be :P. It’s probably a good idea to do this, or else experienced players would have just roflstomped all the demo newbies.

@Chiablo

Not yet, but there’s supposed to be two new ones in development. GPG has been taking their sweet time with updates, though, so I don’t expect them for a few months still.

22. LewieP says:

@Heliocentric

Hats off sir, you win. Although you are real loser, having been in a PC World more recently than me ;p

@jonfitt
    I’ll be sure to include any decent discount on Demi God in the bargain bucket.

23. Railick says:

Does anyone know for a fact if Demigod was a comerical success for Stardock and GPG or if the pirating combined with bad netcode made the entire venture a fail?

24. Stabby says:

@Chiablo

There are at least 2 more free demigods coming out in the next few weeks, Demigod is at 1.1 right now and I believe that at 1.2 they will start to release new stuff.

This is the blog for the lead guy at Stardock, he discusses a lot of stuff about Demigod, as well as Stardocks upcoming Elemental game

25. Tei says:

Demigod is totally like a ex-girlfriend. Hope you guys have more luck than me, with she.

26. Xocrates says:

@Railick: Last I heard, Stardock at least seemed pleased with sales. The game did stay on the top ten for a while on retail, and I’m lead to believe digital sales were pretty good.
    So even if it wasn’t huge, at least it wasn’t a flop.

Regarding the AI: I find it decent if you’re a more casual/inexperienced player, although I seriously do not recommend playing the single player tournament.

27. Heliocentric says:

@Tei also, uses teeth.

28. Railick says:

@Tei and Heliocentric And Gags are just the wrong moment, ruining the whole thing . . . Are we talking about the same thing?

29. Über Nerd says:

I’ve played that by forcibly taking over one of the guys playing it at a lan party this weekend. I seems it kept most of the DoTA spirit. The player I took over was wearing three kinds of plate armour on top each other had a sword and an axe in consumables slot while shooting with an xbow with no melee attacks :P But thankfully none of the denial stuff (Killing your own dudes before enemy does to prevent them from getting xp) that made me stop WC3 altogether…

Vandelay says:

This was quite fun, but I don’t really see how the full game can offer much more over the demo. I’m not that attracted to a multiplayer only game outside of an FPS as I doubt I would be able to compete with those the people I would encounter online. If it had of come with some single player campaign then I might be interested but I can’t see me spending much time with this as it is.

I also don’t think the game itself has very much to it and would become tedious fairly quickly. Perhaps there is more to it at the higher levels (only played 2 games – one conquest, one domination – against normal AI,) but it seemed to be pretty basic and not much strategy involved. The map was fairly basic, so it could be different in the full game. I would have also liked to have some control over the reinforcements. I know that they didn’t want to take this down the RTS route, but being able to set waypoints for the portals so you could focus attacks in a particular place would have added a little more strategy to the game or allow for some defence.

Maybe worth getting if I have some spare cash and I see it very cheap, but until then I don’t think I’ll bother.

Vandelay says:

Apologies for double post, but I meant to also say that I found it to be very sluggish. Admittedly I was running it at 1680X1050 (native res), which is usually fine, but here, even with setting set to low, there was a fair amount of slow down at times. In a game where you really need to be able to click precisely and quickly it was quite frustrating at times. I was only playing a 1v1, so I can’t imagine what it would be like with 3v3.

Also, the camera was quite irritating too. Pressing the middle mouse button as scrolling the screen rather than panning was very annoying and the only way I could find to pan the screen was to hold down space and then use the mouse. It would have also been helpful if I could have used the minimap to change where I was looking. Lots of little things that you would expect from an RTS and this game felt like it should have too.

32. Railick says:

I’d like to see a demi god that can cause NPCs to stand in one place allowing one group to create a huge swarm of npcs and then release them when they’re ready or create a huge defence swarm in areas that towers have been destroyed ect. That’d be neat to me :)

33. Tei says:

Lets basshunter this!.

A fun feature of this game, is that If some teammate disconnect (that is often) a bot replace him (or she), in the fury of combat, only examination of the ping times tell you If you are still playing with humans, or with Botten Anna.

34. Flobulon says:

Downloaded and played a couple of matches tonight, and had a lot of fun.
    I might pick it up depending on the price… I’m looking at you to help me out there in the bargain bucket, Lewie!

35. Vinraith says:

Is it odd that the main effect of playing this is that it makes me want to reinstall Warcraft 3 and DotA Allstars?

36. sigma83 says:

I really like DemiGod. Have yet to play it online with Real Folk but I like it more than DotA so far (about 30 or so offline skirmish games played), it’s way more streamlined.

37. We Fly Spitfires says:

Demigod looks interested but I heard it was pretty “meh” and nothing super special.

38. TotalBiscuit says:

Way too little way too late. Demigod does an awful lot of things wrong. Wait for Heroes of Newerth or League of Legends if you’re looking for a DoTA-alike, Demigod is just way too dumbed down to pull it off.

39. Ginger Yellow says:

“Also, the camera was quite irritating too. Pressing the middle mouse button as scrolling the screen rather than panning was very annoying and the only way I could find to pan the screen was to hold down space and then use the mouse.”

Not sure what’s going on there. You can pan just by moving the mouse. There are various keyboard controls for the camera (t locks it to your player, for instance). It’s possible you pressed one by accident.

40. Ginger Yellow says:

Oh, hold on, I think I see what you mean. Rotating around your position, rather than tracking? You want q and e for that.

41. arqueturus says:

Is the Demo MP only then?

42. cyrenic says:

@arqueturus

Sort of, but you can set up a private game and play just AI’s if you like.

The singleplayer is mostly there to get used to the game, though. Demigod is really a multiplayer game, and has about as much single player depth as left 4 dead does.

43. dsmart says:

Always said this was going to fail, right from the botched launch. Too bad though because those who stuck with it seem to like it.

Plus, now Brad’s not speaking to me anymore, and I blame all of you for all those Demigod threads and arguments. So don’t expect to see any of our games on Impulse – ever. Then again, that might be a good thing. :)

/awfully shameless plug

BEEG news coming Monday. Standby.

44. The Innocent says:

Well, regardless of what I’ve heard about this game, it was a demo I waited for, so I’ll try it out.

45. Railick says:

I got the game when it first came out but it always felt like a Mod for another game that seems like it could have been fun but doesn’t exist :P Then I realized it DOES exist and I already own it and have beaten it several times

BTW still not sure why this game ran so bad on my computer when I can play Comany of Heros maxed, Supreme Commander Forged Alliance Maxed, World in Conflict Maxed ect without any slow down even in big battles (But some slow down in Forged Alliances Gigantor Battles) Also DoW2 maxed, no slow down. The graphics on Demigod aren’t even that pretty and the models are all pretty much generic other than the demi-gods themselves.

46. Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

Are they going to make more maps/demigods?

I was really looking forward to the game, but then the whole network issues thing happened, and I forgot all about it. I’ll probably buy it if it ever goes on sale, AND they would start releasing more content.

47. Starky says:

This game always had an uphill battle given that it was a simpler (if prettier) remake of a free mod.
    Hard to compete with free (you can’t really include the cost of WC3 as that game is worth every penny by itself) – especially a free game-style that is pretty niche and pretty hardcore.

I do like the “we are happy with sales” line – which in Dev/publisher terms means “We’ve only made back maybe half our budget+marketing” – “very happy” meaning “broke even”.
    Because you know if they’d sold lots, if they’d made back double the budget they’d be screaming it from the treetops.

Still, not played since I borrowed it off a friend (zomg I iz a pirate, yarr) tried to play a game and failed utterly for 2 hours, uninstalled and never bothered buying it.

So I’ll give the demo a shot (still probably won’t buy it until it drops to a tenner or less).

48. Starky says:

Anyone wanna take a bet on the numbers it did?

I’d wager around 125k, maybe 150k.

49. Jens says:

I got Demigod right when it came out and have played it a lot since than – mostly casually on weekends. It’s easy to learn and there are good community-written guides etc. on the forums. I had several highly frustrating moments when things went awry – disconnects mostly. The game itself, when it works, is a real blast though. The balancing of the Demigods is superb. The graphics and sound (even the music) are great.

Most of the work on the network code upon the botched release had to be done by Stardock, the publisher. It feels now as if the developer, GPG, has already given up on Demigod. The last patch was a month ago and there are still serious bugs in the game which would seem rather easy to fix. Instead they claim to be working on a content expansion and Stardock-CEO Brad Wardell seems to be rather touchy about the whole experience having stomped off recently to focus his energies on the Stardock-developed “Elemental”.

Apart from the core the game also lacks community/lobby features like a decent matchmaking service, teams support etc. The community is rather competitive in part, as a casual player I tend to stay away from the “pro”-gamers.

But even as a casual player I like the fast competitive gameplay which on the other hand isn’t too demanding on time (20-40 min. per game) or reaction/microing skills.

My guess is that the Demigod userbase will thin very quickly though once the other announced DotA-like games come out, like League of Legends who seem to offer a lot more in terms of community support and features “around” the core game.

50. SwiftRanger says:

Euhm, Stardock said they were happy with the digital sales and less happy about the retail stuff which is understandable with the Gamestop leak snafu and the fact Atari asked 50 euro for the game in Europe at retail (in US it’s at 40 dollars or so). They still sold 100.000 copies in that first month in the US alone though, not that bad for a game with broken netcode at the time and which came shortly after the release of DoW II and Empire.

Too bad the community stuff didn’t got in faster but then again, Steam wasn’t built/ready in such a short time either. That’s what Stardock is doing: making the same community matchmaking service for all their future games. And those two Demigods might come sooner than you may think, same with the 1.2 fixes…