“Beautiful Chaos”: Blur Dev Talk

By Jim Rossignol on July 31st, 2009 at 10:00 am.

You know I’d forgotten about Blur, actually, and I’d skipped a lot of the initial bout of excitement over the game. Seems it is still Windows-bound, however, with a rough “end of 2009″ release date, and so we’re eventually going to get a taste of Bizarre Creations “power-up, power-up, power-up” philosophy for their hyperbolic new racing game. They’ve stuck some of their developer types in front of a camera to talk about it, and mixed that with some in-game footage, all funkily edited up, of course. It’s looking rather… colourful.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. GibletHead2000 says:

Wipeout with wheels on?

2. Wolfman says:

BlurioKart

-wolfman

3. willberg says:

I hate racing games, but I love wipeout. The one they made for that thurr Game-Playing Station Portable, I played to 100% completion (gold on every track).

If they made one/something similar (audiosurf with racing, note: not an audiosurf criticism) for the PC (TrackMania isn’t shiney enough), my bowels would have a pleasure overload.

4. Jazmeister says:

I love racers with a twist, and so does my Wife, but she’s also a maaaaassive car fanatic – we used to own a Mustang convertible and it was her pride & joy. The licensed cars + powerups has pretty much sold me on this one.

5. Xercies says:

Hopefully when your last place you don’t get special items that make you able to get to first place in a matter of seconds.

6. Anton says:

“We have nitro!”, how novel :) Looks fun, though, but… shallow. So far seem that it will work as an instant action satisfier, yet not for long.

7. SanguineLobster says:

I watched that video without sound, and so have little idea what’s going on, but I like the ratio of Cars+Fastness to NotCars+Dentists.

8. Gene says:

Massive Damage! Does it have giant crabs?
    This could be interesting, proper arcade-y racer, not NFS that pretends to be simulation. I loved burnout and flatout, and this has similar vibe.

9. Koopa says:

Just add miniguns to the cars, and this could be the Death Rally 3D I always wanted.

10. Kris says:

Looks alright, but I prefer the demolition racing that Split Second seems to promise (dont know if it will be on PC, but not a problem for me).
    SS also seem to overshadow it from the press reports for E3.

11. Feintlocke says:

Too many racing games coming out soon! “Blair” falls behind Dirt 2 and NFS: Shift (if the in car view can be enforced) for me. Powerups in racing games are just an annoyance, the better driver often loses and that aint my shtick. 20 cars on the track sounds nice though.

12. ascagnel says:

@Gene: NFS is pretending to be a sim now (see NFS: Shift, by the guys who made GTR, GT Legends, GTR2 and maybe RACE/RACE07/GTR Extreme/STCC The Game).

And to think, I was just wondering last night how hard it would be to get a good wipEout game working on PC. The PSP versions were excellent, and wipEoutHD is seriously making me consider the PS3.

13. LewieP says:

I’ve loved Bizarre’s games that don’t involve cars. Geometry wars and The Club are a tonne of fun, but I kind of hate racing sims. I’ll be open minded about this for sure though.

14. AndrewC says:

I’m pretty sure I saw a couple of shots of the bridge over Kingsland Road by the junction with Old Street, but the problem with London Streets is that they are all so fussy and narrow that they have to be widened and homegenised out to make them playable. This is a shame.

Mind you I think you can see me puking into a bin in one of the shots so +1 for accuracy there.

15. Alex says:

I’m not a huge racing fan, but Blair does seem interesting.