Death To Spies: Moment Of Truth Demo

By Jim Rossignol on July 31st, 2009 at 8:24 am.

The original Death To Spies was seen as something like a poor imitation of the Hitman games, with a whole bunch of technical problems holding back its ambitions as a stealth action experience. The new game, Moment Of Truth, looks to be much more of the same disguise-wearing, back-stabbing action, but I think the test will be whether complaints about omnipotent AI and awkward controls can be dealt with. I’ve not had a chance to play this demo yet, so if you’ve got an opinion from your experience with Moment Of Truth you should carefully type it into the comments box below.

The Death To Spies: Moment Of Truth demo is 589mb, and you can get it here and you’ll find some Russian footage below to give you a taste for the thing…

, , .

1. inanimotion says:

If the costumes in this game aren’t simply for aesthetics and actually serve some purpose (like the trailer suggests) then I am THERE.

Someone let me know please….

2. demonarm says:

That spy is not one of ours!

3. D says:

@inanimotion Do the disguises serve a purpose? Yes, they disguise.

4. Scalene says:

It seems I am not ze only spy.

5. Sartoris says:

Looks terribly stiff.

But I loved the chandelier hitting the guy on the head :D

6. Kotti says:

If the controls aren’t as awful as in the first game, I might just like this a lot. The world needs more Hitman.

7. Pemptus says:

Well, the demo threw me in a cellar of sorts, with no tutorial. I walked around a house full of guards trying not to get caught for 30 seconds. I failed and got promptly taken down 5 times. I quit, wondering whether I suck at it or the demo simply makes a terrible, horrible impression.

8. Phil says:

Yeah, the controls are bloody awkward. I still have no idea how to swap outfits and the shooting mechanics are terrible.

I concur with Pemptus.

9. LionsPhil says:

Dear Gods, what the hell is wrong with that man’s wrist?

Was the original of this game the one that decided to throw out a lot of “unrealistic” gameplay concessions, like guards giving up on disturbances and alarms after a few seconds of half-hearted searching?

10. Metal_Circus says:

How many peggles is 589mb? ¬_¬

11. The Innocent says:

At first I was going to not even look at this game on principle, seeing as how “to” and “of” are prepositions and shouldn’t be capitalized in titles unless they are the first or last words, and because that sincerely bothers me and I boycott games for grammar alone (I’m not a snob, I just really cannot help it. Also, this is opposed to bad voice acting, which as in Men of War doesn’t bother me at all). Then I saw that on their website they had capitalized and dropped all the letters properly.

So then I watched the video and found a new reason to not look at this game; mannequins sneaking up on each other isn’t my thing. Though it was fun to watch the cook stab a Nazi in a crowded room and to have all the other Nazis draw pistols, turn around, and… look at him blankly. I wonder what the spy was trying to achieve there?

12. Metal_Circus says:

@The Innocent, technically that’s still snobbery.

13. Gotem says:

That medic is a spy!

If I see someone walking like that I’ll be sure to watch my back.

14. Ozzie says:

I played the first Death to Spies for a mission. The controls weren’t horrible, just complicated. It’s necessary to play the tutorial first, even if it’s endlessly long.
    The mission design wasn’t very inspired, though. So, it’s okay, but nothing special, I guess.

15. Jad says:

This video reminds me how much I love the improved animation in modern big-budget games nowadays. Graphics are always improving, but it really seems like there’s been an enormous leap in lifelike motion in the past couple of years. Its like the change when games all started getting physics engines and suddenly any game without physics seemed hopelessly outdated.

Anyway, this is to say a couple of years ago mannequins stalking other mannequins wouldn’t be a problem, but now its just jarring.

16. A-Scale says:

The intro seemed VERY Mafia. I don’t think I’ll be trying this one. Invariably it will try my patience too much for me to enjoy it.

17. Stabbie says:

@Jad: When I read your comment I thought “the animation didn’t seem that jarring to me…”. Then I watched it again. The combat parts are the worst, as he doesn’t even bend his knees for the attack.

18. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Is the stealth anything like the stealth approach of Hidden and Dangerous 2, where you had to outfit your character with nothing but Nazi gear (right down to the knives!) in order to lower suspicion levels?

19. Caleb says:

Actually, I’ve played the first DtS and with great pleasure. Solid as a rock, polished gameplay, decent graphics and competent AI. AND, i friggin’ HATE stealth games. This one I loved. Gonna try this sequel ASAP.

@Diogo Robeiro:
    as far as i can tell, this is a little more realistic, I mean if you dress up as a common soldier you have a good chance of no one double checking your face, BUT you can forget about entering in the officers’ club. On the other hand, stealing the uniform of a high ranking officer may not be a good idea, ’cause it would seem these Nazis do wonder why their beloved colonel suddenly changed his face.

20. Wooly says:

The spy is a cake!

21. LionsPhil says:

@Diego: Search in page for Death to Spies, which I assume is the previous game.

…if the player has any visible Soviet gear on at all — even after changing uniform —, has a weapon out (unless dressed as a patrolman, and then only a weapon that the others have, usually an MP-40), is doing something that doesn’t match the disguise’s purpose or rank (stealing a truck without being in an officer or driver’s uniform) or is a patrolman/officer who can recognize if you are not one of them, they will almost immediately upon entering their “sight confirmation” begin to fire…

That kind of attention impresses me; the question is if they can generate a gameful of good missions using it.

22. James T says:

They’re seeming pretty awful; it’s been yonks since I played DtS though, couldn’t say if they’ve improved or not (although I got quite a way through that one, so I must’ve gotten used to them).

Anyone know how to get out of that first room without instantly getting into a gun battle? Tried the traditional “whistle/make a noise and then hide”, but the sentry wasn’t lured into the room.

I don’t remember the original DTS being -quite- as harsh as described above in regards to matching uniforms with duty, but maybe the top difficulty level made the AI more of a stickler (I tend to play stuff on default difficulty). The main thing was to pack light, ‘cos you had to abandon your satchel as soon as you found a uniform to wear.

Incidentally, DtS wins the Bleak Prize for having a mission where you infiltrate a concentration camp. You’re there to save one guy, but this ain’t no liberation…

(I always thought “I’m a visiting officer” would be a good rationale for being an unfamiliar face in a top-ranking officer’s uniform… That’s how I justified Spy in Commandos 2, anyway. Ahh Commandos, now that was some stealth-and-subterfuge gold. Someone’s gotta rescue that series!)

23. Soobe says:

Sweet craziness! I was just thinking about this series the other day after hearing the newest Splinter Cell was being delayed.

No two ways about it, I absolutely loved the first one. Yes it was a bit stiff, yes it had translation problems, but it’s totally free from the commercial and popular demands put on the Splinter Cell series.

Simply put, this is a PC stealth game, with all the glorious baggage that comes with it.

In the first one levels rolled out with fantastic, deliberative pacing. Acting stupid would be promptly rewarded with a swift bitch slap, and little touches like being noticed for carrying the wrong backpack (Russian when you’re disguised as a German), made the experience very gratifying. You had to be on your toes the entire time, using your head as much as your sneaking skills.

It’s not a bad looking game to boot. I remember a great variety of levels from the first game, and never feeling like I’m playing the same area twice. There were catacombs, Fancy Manors, Wide open fields, and urban centers.

I’m all over this one. It’s everything Splinter Cell isn’t.

24. James T says:

It’s a bit apples-and-oranges comparing the all-but-linear (and gymnastic, and gun-happy) Splinter Cell to the more-open-than-Hitman DtS, although I do think Splinter Cell, like most games, would benefit if it allowed more exploration.

25. D says:

The first also had levels set in a british embassy and in an american underground research facility. This is the advantage of russian developers! (Altho you were not allowed to kill too many diplomats/scientists.)

I’m glad to read people have had as good an experience with DtS as myself. At times I could spend hours setting elaborate traps of mines and grenade-on-doorhandles. It’s very much comparable to hitman, but with added war. The only criticism I can level against DtS was that I often ended up playing the mini-map too much, with its danger sight cones and VIP markers being very important.
    I’ll skip the demo for now as I’ll end up getting the sequel no matter what.

26. js says:

Yes yes, I played the original’s 10 missions – great fun, thought it was too short a game. It’s more stealth-oriented so it’s a bit slower than Hitman.

With its 7 missions, Moment Of Truth is actually the standalone expansion in Russia. Localization took them a long time apparently so there’s absolutely no reason to call it an expansion.

With that said I know I’ll enjoy it this time around also.