The RPS Bargain Bucket: Mostly Only War

By RPS on August 1st, 2009 at 9:18 pm.

Is there anything quite so fine in this life as a cheap videogame? Well, obviously: toffee apples are even better. Apart from that, nothing. So, do enjoy the following bargains, as collated by Savygamer‘s LewieP.

Relic games on steam
I should probably make a joke about how Relic get the same person to work out pricing as they get to work on matchmaking. Heh. All of their games have been put on weekend special on Steam, but the big name games, DOW2 and Tales of Valor, are a much better deal to buy from retail. To add an insult to insult, the retail version of DOW2 is not just cheaper than the Steam version, but it will be added to you Steam account anyway. Similarly, it is on weekend special at D2D for £14.95 (£2.54 less than the Steam price), and you can just add the serial number they give you to your Steam account too. Surely Valve can’t be so busy with Episode 3 that they can’t get one member of staff to do a cursory search of what other retailers are offering before they put stuff on weekly special. Maybe I should send them a CV. When retail is cheaper, I have included a link to the (UK) retailer. They should really update the contents of the Relic Super Pack too.

Dawn of War 2 – £17.49/€24.99/$24.99 Retail: £9.99 delivered D2D: £14.95/$24.95
Dawn of War: Gold – £6.99/€9.99/$9.99
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade – £6.99/€4.99/$9.99
Dawn of War: Platinum – £8.49/€7.49/$14.99
Dawn of War: Soulstorm – £8.49/€7.49/$14.99

They seem to not set the bog standard vanilla flavour version of Dawn of War on Steam any more, that can be had for £5.73 delivered.

Company of Heroes – £6.99/€4.99/$9.99 Retail: £5 delivered
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts – £6.99/€9.99/$9.99
Company of Heroes Gold – £8.49/€14.99/$14.99
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor – £14.99/€17.49/$14.99 Retail: £14.73 delivered

Also available from retail is Company Of Heroes: Anthology for £14.99 delivered, which contains

Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor, a far better deal than what Steam are offering.

Relic Super Pack – £13.49/€24.99/$24.99

Gosh that lot is a mess.

Bioshock – £19.95/€29.99/$11.98
Steam isn’t the only platform I am going to be whinging at today, oh no. I got an email from GamerGate earlier in the week telling me that Bioshock would have 60% off this weekend. Fantastic news I thought, since they are currently charging £19.95 for it, it should be a bargaintastic £7.98. This isn’t the case, because the discount has only been applied to the USA, it is still full price in the UK and Europe. It’s a wicked game by the way, but I am too busy nerd/consumer raging to talk about it in any detail. Demo here.

Braid – £4.95/$9.95
Cheapest I think I have ever seen this, it was £6 on impulse a couple of weeks ago, but if you didn’t pick it up then, now is your chance. If you did buy it at full price, wouldn’t it be wonderful if you could go back in time and undo it, then wait til now and buy it for cheaper. Alas, there are some things that no matter how much you might want to, you just cannot undo. This discount comes in the same week that a PS3 port is looking more and more likely. RPS coverage here, demo here and walkthrough here.

Chess Promotion
GOG has got three different chess games on promotion this weekend, and whilst I have played a fair bit of chess in my time, I’ve only played it in analogue form. From the looks of them, one is focused on teaching you how to play chess, and two are focussed on ‘flashy’ graphics, I wonder if you get to make your pieces teabag your opponents when you win.

Deal of the week
The Wonderful End of the World – £2.99/€3.52/$4.99
From the makers of “AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! — A Reckless Disregard for Gravity” is what looks like Katamari Dama-PC, which I guess is probably not a bad thing. It’s also a cheap cheap price, which is definately not a bad thing. Alec had these words to say about it, and it sounds pretty good to me. There is a demo here, and it is only 33mb, so click away.

If that lot’s not enough for you, do check out SavyGamer.co.uk for constantly-updated bargains across all formats.

__________________

« | »

1. CMaster says:

The regional inconsistency in Steam prices for Relic games is very, very confusing.

2. Real Horrorshow says:

Company of Heroes is the best RTS of past, present and future.

That is all.

3. Serph says:

“Wonderful End of the World” teaches you that if you take away the katamari from Katamari, it becomes too easy. The entire challenge was to roll the ball around and not crash into things – when you just have to walk around absorbing stuff, it just doesn’t feel challenging. It would have been better if they actually made a Katamari clone, IMO.

4. GamerV says:

I’m still eagerly waiting for Hobo Tycoon.

I’m going to buy The Wonderful End Of The World, but I’ll probably be bummed if it ends up on Steam for that price sometime in the future. Steamfanboy ‘n all.

5. Vinraith says:

First off, sincere thanks to whoever’s moderating this thead. :)

Second, and on topic, anyone have anything good or bad to say about Chessmaster 9000? I wouldn’t mind having a new PC chess game, but I’ve generally preferred the Fritz titles.

6. Gremmi says:

Regional restriction on sales on Gamersgate is a good thing – due to some glitch on the website when they’re on, UK gamers are redirected to the .com pages when going through the sites links – thus end up being charged the weaker dollar value for anything subsequently put into the basket. Brings Tomb Raider Underworld (the other ‘on sale’ thing GG have at the moment) from £19.95 to roughly £12 instead, amongst other things.

7. bookwormat says:

From what I remember from my childhood, the Chessmaster series has always been wonderfully big on teaching: Great tutorials, assistants, configuration options etc.

I wish there was a Go Client with so much focus on teaching. Anyway, I might be buying this.

8. Starky says:

I’ve got Chessmaster grandmaster edition which I believe is basically the same game (based on the same engine?) – It’s really good.
    The AI is great, it plays almost like a human – in that it’s not computer perfect (unless you’re a grandmaster playing it at the hardest setting I guess) – but it doesn’t make clearly artificial mistakes to “let you win” either like some other chess programs.

So no nothing bad at all to say, I’m not big into chess and don’t play online or anything so I can’t comment on that or the higher level play.

9. Vinraith says:

@bookwormat

Yeah, a fully featured Go client for PC would be a day 1 purchase for me. I’m a little baffled at the complete lack of such a thing.

10. Blather Blob says:

Why doesn’t Impulse have a patch log? The fact that the latest patch for End of the World is only mentioned on Steam’s forums, and that one of its fixes is for Steam Achievement bugs, makes me wonder if Impulse has the latest version or not. I wouldn’t care except the addition of more resolutions sounds like a nice feature.

11. Film11 says:

@Serph
    The challenge from TWEotW comes from completing the timed challenges, and finding a good route to pick up the required number of objects as quickly as possible. Great fun on certain levels, such as the internet cafe one.

12. Novotny says:

A Typical example: it’s about 1:30am, I’m about to go to bed, I’d like to get into the city centre on my lunchtime and pick up a title.

I consider: is the price difference worth me skipping lunch, paying for parking, rushing about like a mad thing? NO.

Second example: Arma 2 is released. I opt to buy from Play, on a Tuesday night. Come Saturday, game still hasn’t arrived and I’m thinking an awflu lot about the fact it would have been available next morning (the Wed) had I bought it on Steam.

Eventually it arrives Monday. I saved a fiver! I’d have put down 10 quid to have played it on Friday night though.

Physical distribution fails me, on this occasion, again.

13. bob arctor says:

Impulse didn’t work with my debit card or with my paypal. Although that may be my paypal’s problem, I’ve not used it for years. Still, the card thing is a bit annoying, I’ll wait till End of the World is cheap on Steam.

14. Vandelay says:

Can I add another game to the Soldier is a moron/troll and we are all morons list? One of the most recognised contemporary games series, Grand Theft Auto, is made in Scotland.

Also, it seems that the Relic games have really dropped in price recently. I bought the Relic Super Pack not that long ago (possibly about the time Tales of Valour was released or maybe a little before) through Steam because it was the cheapest I had seen Company of Heroes + Opposing Forces anywhere, plus I also got the two expansions you would want for Dawn of War (already owned the original.) I think I paid £24 for them. Either I was had and didn’t really do my homework or that is some quick price slashing going on all of the place.

15. Krondonian says:

I really fancy Braid, but I’m not sure about D2D. I bought Zeno Clash there, but that was just added to Steam. Any advice about the DRM/restrictions?

16. Novotny says:

Am I the only one drinking?

17. M_the_C says:

@Krondonian

Braid is totally DRM free on D2D. I bought it earlier this week and it was a simple installer. Great game, and great bargain.

18. Vandelay says:

@Krondonian

Just bought Braid myself and it is my first time using Direct2Drive. Glancing over the FAQ it looks like their games have limited number of simultaneous activations. The whole system looks a bit more complicated than the very straight forward GOG or Steam, but I’m downloading now and I expect that it will just be standard installation procedure from here.

19. Über Nerd says:

You guys are aware that Steam does not set those prices but the developers/publishers are?

20. Joe says:

@Novotny: Certainly not sir!

We in Europe have a lot to answer for… first the Nazis, now “terrible TF2 players”. I’m sorry America, we just can’t seem to get this sort of thing right!

Anyway I snapped up CoH Gold, based on Kieron Gillen’s eerily glowing review in Eurogamer. I tend to hate RTSses, and the only one I’ve ever properly enjoyed was Dawn of War, mostly for the Awesome Toy Soldiers aspect. I expect CoH to be more of the same with better kaboom.

21. jalf says:

You are aware that Valve suggests default conversion rates that get used if the publisher does not specifically ask for another regional price? Or that somehow, most publishers were happy to sell to Europeans on Steam at US prices until Valve decided to enable regional pricing last winter.

Honestly, for a fiasco like Steam’s Euro prices, there’s plenty of blame to go around. Valve can have their fair share, and there’ll still be plenty left for the publishers.

Maybe if Europeons made games Americans cared to play

Yeah. What a shame no American wants to play Hitman, Total War or Beyond Good & Evil or Battlefield, isn’t it? In addition, of course, to Crysis, GTA and the other games already mentioned.

Now can we *please* take the trolling somewhere else?

22. Novotny says:

Can we have the trolls to me! to me! to me! please.

I’m not even sure anyone is actually arguing. I’m seeing some reasonable comments, and I’m seeing some barely considered poos being etched up my monitor. That’s not a row.

23. Krondonian says:

@M_the_C and Vandelay; thanks folks. Think I’ll take the plunge then.

24. Clovis says:

I think the audience for a good Go game wouldn’t be very big, and, more importantly, the core audience would be better at the game than the AI, especially on the full board. Beyond explaining the rules of the game it might actually be bad for a beginner to play against the AI.

If you want to learn Go, it would probably make more sense to just play against real people on one of the various Go servers, especially since the game features such elegant handicapping.

BTW, I’m terrible at the game…

25. Christian says:

To the drinking part (@Gravatar Novotny ): nah, just got home after a nice night of drinking and such ;)

But (mostly) on topic: The pricing does tend to be a bit weird when it’s cheaper to get a game (in that case I think it was Bioshock) delivered to me from Taiwan (or from wherever CDWow ships) than to go to a retailer here in Germany or get it through Steam. And not just 5 € cheaper, it was about half the price.
    Thinking that they had to ship the CD (produced in the EU) to Taiwan, then back to me and it was still cheaper..that’s a strange thing.. but I guess that’s how globalization works isn’t it? But pricing on Steam has always been a bit of a strange topic after all.

But CoH really is a great game (don’t really like this genre, but this was a brilliant exception).

And regarding The Wonderful End of the World: I tried the demo and it seemed some harmless fun..is there anything more to be had of it than that worth buying it?

26. Christian says:

p.s.: Add me to the list of people missing the edit-function..as I just copy&pasted the “Gravatar” part to the name (although that does not go too badly with the username..somehow reminds me of the Hitchhiker’s Guide.. *g*).

27. unclelou says:

I don’t really buy that anymore. Games are often cheaper (and become cheaper more quickly) on other DD sites.

28. Katsumoto says:

I feel like i’m missing something! This is like reading an EG comments thread (I have about 200 people on ignore, so the thread of conversation can be very disorientating!)

29. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I’ve grabbed The Wonderful End of The World so far. Considering CoH or Braid now..

30. RogB says:

@Katsumoto
    it does, but thankfully in this case people dont keep directly quoting the people on your ignore list, negating the ignore in the first place!
    EG comments have been improved recently by the +/- voting but its still not ideal.

31. Pus Filled Sac says:

Who will buy Car Wot Goes Fast?

CoH is ok, besides the terrible multiplayer.

32. alseT says:

Obligatory “DoW and CoH are NCTSC2″.

33. Heliocentric says:

CoH HAS terrible multiplayer? I would say i want some of whatever you are smoking, except it clearly causes incredible mental retardation! :@

34. Matosh says:

Surely Valve can’t be so busy with Episode 3 that they can’t…
    I’m fairly convinced that Valve forgot there was this game called Half-life 2 and there was supposed to be a third episode of it. Maybe they wake up some mornings with a vague feeling of unease, like they forgot to feed the cat or lost a key maybe. Then they shake it off and go to work on Left 4 Dead 2.

35. Carra says:

I immediately noticed the fact that their “bargain price” of €25 for dawn of war 2 is a rip of. The game is up for €13 on play.com without promotion… Didn’t bother to look a the rest of their “deals”.

On the good side, I can save some money this weekend :) Although I will have to take a look at braid.

I’ve bought titles on Steam because I really couldn’t be arsed going into town to get them. I’m clearly in one of their target groups. That’s a shitty excuse. Play.com delivers your games without charge.

36. Heliocentric says:

But do they do it near instantly*?

*Not valid for games with ten thousand peggle file sizes.

37. Jonny B says:

Remember that the weekend sale of Dawn of War 2 is to coincide with the massive update that was released a couple of days ago.

Adds more maps/world builder and new features/balancing.

Is really rather good online!

38. Heliocentric says:

I just wanted to note that coh on steam is rather good because patching coh from retail is a literal thousand peggle proposition (if you get an early print disc). So buying over steam is even faster.

39. Charlie says:

Or you could buy an old boxed copy like I did then just add the login to steam and your done, it will auto-patch itself.

40. bansama says:

Prototype is now 30% off on the US D2D site and 40% off on the UK D2D site. It’s also available worldwide from both…

41. Vinraith says:

Anyone considering CoH, like anything else, is well advised to try the demo first. I was unmoved, personally.

42. Pus Filled Sac says:

I can’t say why “HAS” is emphasised (presumably a symptom of incredible mental retardation), yet: every multiplayer game of CoH I played involved storming into the enemy base as soon as possible.

Initially amusing but thereafter very tedious.

43. DerangedStoat says:

Here in Aus, DoW2 was quite a bit cheaper in the Steam sale for us, as it is still selling for ~AU$90 at retail from what I’ve seen.

44. Heliocentric says:

It was emphasised because my mobile phone had caps lock on and there is on edit. I’m only sassing you though. Its pretty spammy for an rts its true, but i’m suprised you multiplayer games were like that.

Comment on this story