Tower Defence Round Up, Yeah

By Jim Rossignol on August 3rd, 2009 at 6:25 pm.

No, really. There is more than one tower defence game worth talking about. I’ve post the trailers for both of them below. Good times.

The first is the rather lovely cartoon, open-plan 2D tower defence game Revenge Of The Titans, by Puppygames. Alec got pretty hot for their last title, the excellent Droid Assault, which you should all download and play as soon as you’ve read the entirety of the this essential and fascinating piece of tower defence news. The second (pictured above) is the 3D tower defence spectacular of Sol Survivor, which features multiplayer co-op, and multiple “commanders” with orbital attacks and their own repertoire of tower erection abilities. Yeah, I said that out loud. Both games will be out, eventually. Probably. Go take a look at their moving portraits.

I am actually ridiculously excited about this. I don’t even know why, it just looks right.

Then there’s the 1000% more shiny and explody Sol Survivor, for continuous escalating laser-biff, in 3D! Which thrills me a bit less.

, .

1. Mark says:

Regarding Revenge of the Titans: why would I want to have to click every single factory to claim their rewards and, in addition, click the guns to reload them?

It’s a tower defense game.

One of the reasons I like tower defense games is they aren’t so “click-happy” as your standard RTS.

Art style and weapon effects all look good though.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

“why would I want to have to click every single factory to claim their rewards and, in addition, click the guns to reload them?”

The same reason you click on every sunshine in PvZ: it creates additional action, and perhaps pace.

3. subedii says:

Is it just me or did having to click all those cities every few seconds look nothing short of tedious?

4. subedii says:

Well I guess I was beaten.

5. Helm says:

I’m kinda partial to Gemcraft, personally. How do you feel about it, Jim?

Sagan says:

But clicking on every sunshine in PvZ was the worst part of the game. Tower Defence is about building up your base and then watching stuff happen. It’s about optimization, not about keeping me busy.
    Imagine if you had to click on stuff over and over in Anno 1404 or Sim City. It would just not fit, and it’s the same for Tower Defence.

7. Jim Rossignol says:

I think if you removed the sunshines from PvZ it would have been far less popular.

8. Kieron Gillen says:

Alternatively, a piece of genius which was instrumental to it becoming one of the hits of the year outside of standard Tower Defense fans.

I’d get used to it being ripped off, if I were you.

KG

9. Jeremy says:

Oh nice, Revenge of the Titans looks fantastic. Everything about it looks great, and for some reason kinda makes me think of Advance Wars. Or what it might look like as a TD.

10. Lacero says:

PvZ was so different from other tower defence games it’s more like a new genre. Tower defence is about path optimisation, reduced to a few straight lines PvZ is more similar to tetris.

Not saying it’s bad, just that it isn’t tower defence.

amishmonster says:

TD is evolving as a genre, or at least broadening – even Defense Grid didn’t have path-making/path optimization in probably half of its levels. PvZ is definitely different and definitely more approachable, but I think the sunshine/coin collection was a good feature to add in.

It’s a different pace from “traditional” TDs, but the added resource management and action greatly improves it.

12. Optimaximal says:

Unfortunately for Sol Survivor, Defence Grid more more refined…

13. OutOfExile says:

Ever since I’ve played PvZ I’ve been addicted to tower defense games, can’t wait for these.

14. Tei says:

It reminds me of Harvest: Massive Encounter, that is good.. ME WANT!.

15. Lacero says:

amishmonster:
    For me, putting a tower where it can hit enemies both on the way in and the way out is path optmisation.

16. Bowl of Snakes says:

I used to think of Tower Defense as its own genre, but i think it’s really just RTS candy-coated and simplified in just the right way to escape the rut that the C&C/Starcraft clones found themselves in.

I think its kind of cool to look at where lots of the big RTS’s went the route of ‘no more bases’ it just took some Warcraft 3 mods and flash games to show us how compelling ‘no more units’ could be. I really hope this can breathe some life back into RTSes, cuz some of my favorite early videogame memories are building ridiculous bases in Dune 2.

17. Robin says:

Surely you just mouseover the factories, not click them individually?

Will definitely be getting Revenge of the Titans. Droid Assault is one of the best PC games I’ve ever played.

(Incidentally, if you’ve not played Droid Assault recently, the later updates have tweaked the game extensively – better AI, more capturing and less hiding with zero health. The furthest I’ve got is level 80 – if anyone can get to level 100 they’re probably an actual killer robot.)

18. Matzerath says:

Revenge of the Titans and Plants vs Zombies have an additional aspect that I think is more akin to Beer Tapper than Tower Defense. I don’t mind it a bit, it just makes things a little more interactive and slightly less ‘casual.’
    A game where you do things in real-time?! The HELL!!!

19. Cas says:

You do have to click on the factories to collect the money .. but the emphasis of the game isn’t really entirely on factories – you get a lot of cash just for killing the gidrahs.

..and besides, it should come as no surprise there’s a building you can place next to the factories that collects them for you :) And another building that increases the amount of money a factory stores before it’s full. And a building that reloads your turrets for you. But they’re not available until the later worlds – you’ve got to wait for Dr. Zap to research all the cool stuff.

There’s also buildings that generate little tanks that go off and search for gidrahs to shoot at, if you fancy a bit more RTS-sauce. It’s all dead good fun!

Hopefully will do a more interesting video in a few weeks. Laters :)

20. Cas says:

btw I bought Defense Grid the other day – it’s brilliant fun and well worth the cash!

21. subedii says:

I really enjoyed Defense Grid. The quirky AI character really helped bind the game together, a bit like how GLaDOS helps to pull a collection of puzzle rooms into a narrative.

22. Cian says:

I like the look of Revenge of the Titans alot, that cartoonish wasteland is a fine setting. But as an RPS commenter I am obliged to make gameplay judgements based entirely on promotional youtube footage and it struck me as a less elegant version of Harvest. The joy of that game (its own little niche within the sub-genre) was the optimisation of energy collection and distribution, making that process manual seems something of a step backwards.

23. cliffski says:

I found harvest 9which I gave in and bought) to be a great game in theory, but awkward in practice. I could never get my head around getting things to link up the way I wanted.

24. Ian says:

Not sure about the shinier one, but the Revenge of the Titans could be suitably addictive.

Also: Why wasn’t I told sooner about Droid Assault? Must try.

25. Ginger Yellow says:

I’m with Sagan on this: “But clicking on every sunshine in PvZ was the worst part of the game. Tower Defence is about building up your base and then watching stuff happen.”

I think it was a couple of the Three Moves Ahead guys (Tom and Troy?) who said they couldn’t get into TD games because there wasn’t enough to do. I just don’t understand that attitude. The whole distinctiveness of TD games is in setting up, sitting back and making small adjustments as necessary, rather than maximising APM. Fair enough, it’s not for everybody, but trying to make TDs like every other RTS seems to miss the point.

26. jon_hill987 says:

I’m not sure either of those will topple Defence Grid from its place at the top of my favourite tower defence game list*.

*List may not exist

27. Ginger Yellow says:

I’ve got a list:

Defence Grid
    The Space Game
    Desktop Tower Defence
    Plants v Zombies
    Gemcraft
    Immortal Defence

28. Cooper says:

I think there’s a subtle but important difference between the sun in PvZ and what I see here. The sun dropped from the sky randomly, and the period between sunflowers dropping was slightly randomised.

Here, it seems that, whatever they are, generate income at a fixed pace. At least with the sunflowers it was constant, but background and required only a couple of clicks at a time. The wave of clicking in a grid like fashion just seems unimaginative, and seemed to me to break the flow of the video, so maybe the game.

But, obviously, I haven’t played it. Awkward opinion of games from promo videos, Go!

29. wiper says:

I’ve got to say that Revenge of the Titans looks a little like Destroy All Bugs! writ-large; the open environments, defence of multiple cities and adaptive AI of the enemies all bring it to mind. Even the retro graphics and sounds, though DAB’s were GBA-themed, whereas these are more eclectic, vector/arcade themed.

Which, incidentally, is all Good Things.

30. Thranx says:

I’m with Lacero. PvZ is not really a tower defense game.

31. Malibu Stacey says:

You build ‘towers’ (plants) & they defend your house/garden from the impending zombie apocalypse hordes. How is that “not really a tower defense game”?

Also too many of you spell defence wrong.