2009 Delayed Until 2010, Christmas Cancelled

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2009 at 9:47 pm.

Actually, it’s just the hey-where’s-that-beta of Starcraft II that has been delayed until 2010, but all this slippage is starting to make the field a bit sparse. Are all the games going to suddenly wake up next to each other in early 2010, thrash around in a panic, and delay things for another year-segment? Will Tiny Tim have anything to play come Christmas morn? The news of SC2′s vanishment into the future came (in)directly from Acti-Blizz biz-duke, Bobby Kotick he said: “As we prepare for next year, we have moved the expected release dates for two games, Activision Publishing’s Singularity and Blizzard Entertainment’s StarCraft II, into 2010.”

He probably knows what he’s doing, as the company brought in over a billion dollars last quarter, according to VG247′s report. There will be more through there later, if anyone cares about Acti-Blizz money stuff. Not me, I’m off to smoke some feathers and get high on loose jazz.

Update: Ooh, apparently this is tied to a Battle.net delay.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Noc says:

Surely you mean “Feather some smokers and get loose on high jazz?”

In other news, First Quarter 2010 is being postponed till midyear.

2. Jeremy says:

I’m going to have to buy a DS to kill some time until every PC stops being delayed. Hopefully at least a few of the goods will make it beyond the Fall/Winter hack n’ slash.

3. Heliocentric says:

Christmas is nothing compared to spring 2010?

I think this game getting delayed is why clinton got to extridite those journalists. Think about it.

4. seras says:

haha i’m guessing even Blizzard got scared by the pant-jizzing fest that is the Modern Warfare 2 hype.

5. Kronyx says:

It’s always Starcraft 2 Starcraft 2… What about Diablo 3? We haven’t heard about that one for a long while.

6. Heavy Weapons Guy says:

How long could it possibly take to remake an RTS from 1998?

I keed. I keed.

7. Jim Rossignol says:

I am rather exaggerating, there’s still a fair end of year to be had. And my stack of games is already building for that week or so around Christmas I don’t spend reviewing terrible RTS games for money.

And presumably Diablo 3 is coming out in Q3 2017.

8. Markoff Chaney says:

Awww. I was hoping to play Singularity this year. More time for Borderlands and (if redeemed) Dragon Age, I reckon. Diablo 3 will be coming out on December 21, 2012. I think the Mayans saw it coming.

9. Anon says:

Starcraft 2: 2010 December

10. Mo says:

More time for Borderlands. :)

11. Jim Rossignol says:

I reckon Dragon Age will be fun, you’ll just be carefully steering your fantasy love machine away from the sexy-time sequences. (Yes, like bullet-time.)

12. unclelou says:

And presumably Diablo 3 is coming out in Q3 2017.

Don’t say such things. Every other game more or less feels like a stopgap to me since D3 was announced.

13. Serondal says:

They need to go ahead and just cancel SC2 it looks horrible. Maybe they can just give it a miss and go straight to StarCraft 3

14. jonfitt says:

Dragonage: where women go weak at the knees for a trade paperback.

15. Kthulhu says:

This is why I ignore press releases about Blizzard games, expansions, or patches that don’t confirm it’s coming out tomorrow. They make quality games but they are awful about pushing back dates or announcing stuff then going AWOL for a year before mentioning it again. Annoying.

16. Serondal says:

Dragonage: Where awesome went to die.

17. GuiSim says:

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

I guess i’ll have to buy L4D2 now .. :(

18. Serondal says:

I don’t even know what that meant, I’m an extremely tired American it is best just to ignore me.

19. DigitalSignalX says:

I’m looking forward to SC2, I really am, but the ire… the feeling of being taken advantage of by releasing it in 3 parts stretched over years still rubs me wrong.

20. Tei says:

I feel a disturbance in the force, as is millions of koreans cry in terror … then …silence.

21. Markoff Chaney says:

I don’t mind the sexy time, really. Also, cogitating on something I read in the US PC Gamer, it made me think a bit. Maybe the game is really that hard core and suits are scared of that so they try to lowest common denominator it up with that Marilyn Manson shtick. Rationalization or Wishful thinking? :)

22. Mo says:

Aren’t all Blizzard games released like that anyway? I mean, everyone expects Blizz to release expansion packs for their games, right? They’re just announcing the expansions ahead of time.

23. Xercies says:

Well i’ll be waiting on Dragon Age, maybe I’ll be wrong but there current Advertising is absolutly horrible so only reviews saying tis an awesome RPG will save it now.

You would think The November Rush looks quiet with all this 2010 rushing but actually looking at the list of major games coming out in that time its still to huge.

I actually think its a good thing, and they should put games more in the January to June time, and maybe more in the June To September time. Not have all these games Packed in one.

But Gamers are never happy either way…

24. Rei Onryou says:

“Delayed to Spring 2010″ is the new must-have-feature?

25. Dean says:

Hmm, if it’s a BattleNet delay then presumable the bulk of the SC2 team are still working on schedule for the expansions, so maybe we’ll see the second two parts come out quicker. We can hope.

26. Railick says:

@Heavy Weapons Guy – It’s the same thing where suddenly we don’t have the technology to go to the moon any more even though we already did it (Yah right!!!) All the people that made starcraft and old and dead and no longer around to work on the project :P

I love RTS games but I couldn’t be any less excited about this game, it looks God awful like Blizzard totally missed Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 ect and are making a sequel as if no other RTS was released in between now and WC 3 . I hope I’m wrong but based on the videos and pictures I’ve seen it really just looks like Starcraft with a bit of crappy 3d thrown in.

Like the above comment about Bill Clinton :P Obviously he worked out some sort of deal with North Korea to stall SC2 in order to deliver an unbearable jab of pain to all South Koreans every where.

27. Vinraith says:

I’m shocked, SHOCKED. Well, not that shocked.

28. Flappybat says:

I think a summary of what is very likely to come out in the rest of the year would be good as I’ve lost track of what is actually coming out.

29. Pijama says:

It’s relatively easy to get one billion in profit when you having fucking World of Warcraft at your side.

Blizzard is worth more than half of Activision. Probably the folks at Blizz said “hey we need more time for this” and well… you are not going to disappoint your sugar daddy right? :D

30. Black Mamba says:

From the follow up on VG247 it sounds like old Bobby has ideas about Battle.net being a competitor to Xbox Live!

Looks like Battle.net will be making its way into other Activision games.

31. A-Scale says:

Excellent title. I lolled in the most literal sense possible.

Also, note from the other day: whoever posted that Rumble Strips video: thank you! I absolutely loved it. Listened to it 20+ times on repeat. I will be watching that band very closely.

32. Persus-9 says:

@ Vinraith: Professor that’s Fry’s line!

@Flappybat: Eurogamer keep lists of these things for easy reference here.

33. ChampionHyena says:

BLIZZARD DELAYED A VIDEO GAME!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That said, I’m cautiously optimistic, but I think Railick might be right. I have no doubt that Blizzard will craft an appropriately epic and engrossing single-player campaign for us, but I’m mortified that the multiplayer–and, indeed, the core gameplay concepts–have not evolved since 1999. At the risk of sounding like (sounding like? Being) a fanboy, I think it’s a bad move to pretend that Relic and Best Way and all the paradigm-warping chappies haven’t changed the landscape of the modern FPS just a little bit.

I mean… building thousands of worker units? Mining shiny crystalline minerals the whole game through? Churning out vast multitudes of fragile little units, one by one by one by one ad infinitum? There’s a reason I don’t play C&C games anymore.

I have plenty of faith in Blizzard. I’m sure the game will be rock solid and finely polished. But at the end of the day… how interesting is a solid, polished rock?

Okay, I think I butchered that metaphor a bit.

34. ChampionHyena says:

Side note: What the eff happened to my avatar?

35. ChampionHyena says:

Also, forget I said “modern FPS” and that instead I said “modern RTS.”

WHERE IN THE GOOD GODDAMN IS MY EDIT FUNCTION

NOW EVERYONE WILL KNOW THAT MY COGNITIVE FACULTIES ARE UTTERLY RETARDED

I BLAME YOU, JIM ROSSIGNOL

I BLAME YOUUUUUUU

36. coupsan says:

I am surprised but not really.

37. MartinX says:

It’s Blizzard lol. They are like 3DRealms if 3DRealms shipped games.

Can you really be shocked or surprised about changes to the release date of a game that never actually had a release date?

My fear is that next time Activision will say “We don’t care if it’s finished, you have to ship by the end of the quarter to keep the shareholders happy”, and that’ll pretty much be the end of that.

38. Forscythe says:

Now we can thank battle.net not just for the lack of LAN play in SC2, but also for a 6 month delay in the game (note that the release date is now H1 2010, not Q1). How awesome is it going to be to be worth all this?

I suppose every game publisher has to have their own incompatible “online destination platform” these days, though. I know I don’t feel comfortable playing any game without being logged in to steam, impulse, Games for windows Live, battle.net, and of course the Rockstar social club!

39. Azradesh says:

Can I please just have the Starcraft 2 single player campaign, I don’t give a rats arse about the multiplayer side.

Sigh

40. JSutcliffe says:

“2009 Delayed to 2010″ is the perfect summation of all this nonsense. Whichever one of you thought it up needs a pat on the back.

I don’t especially mind the delays — there are few games in there I care about (maybe Mafia II) and I have a bit of a backlog to get through, but I’m always amused by the companies claiming that their delays are to make sure their products don’t get lost in the Great Game Deluge Of 2009.

41. ids says:

Oh well it blizzard. I am honestly looking forward to dragon age and aion.

42. Jayt says:

SHOCK HORROR…

:>

43. Jazmeister says:

Number 1. That’s terror.

44. Psychopomp says:

Number 2
    That’s terror.

45. The Unshaven says:

I upset someone the other day:

“No, SC2 is coming out in 2009!”
    “They’re having a six month beta. Are there six months LEFT in 2009?”
    “…..But!”

Yeah. Plus, as many have said, this is Blizzard. I got all of my spazzing about delays done for SC1. Now I’m older and mellower.

Or something.

- The Unshaven

46. one f jef says:

Wow, blizzard must have found an extra pile of cocaine they forgot about, so now they can delay copy-pasting one of their only 3 rehashed games for the bazillionth time. Poor us, who are we going to throw money at for the same crap now? Starbucks?

47. Thants says:

Two other RTS games had a cover system, Starcraft 2 is worthless now! (Am I doing it right?)

48. Nerd Rage says:

This is just Blizzard being Blizzard. They’re probably the only company that doesn’t have to be concerned about Modern Warfare 2, you know, since Activision is publishing it, but also because they seem to be pretty much bulletproof (no pun intended, but groan if you like). I’m under the belief that Blizzard could shit in a box, stamp their logo on the side, and it would still sell 5 million units in Korea.

49. Vinraith says:

@Thants

Yup, that’s apparently the idea. If I’d realized that I’d have been complaining that Close Combat invalidated every RTS without a cover system and soldier psychology, which is all of them, since its release. Shit, now what am I going to play?

50. sigma83 says:

one f jef: Away with you and your onerous platitudes. Let us in here tinker with our army men.

Re: StarCraft II As a young person whose introduction to the space marine concept was in reverse order i.e. StarCraft -> 40k -> Aliens, puts into perspective the fact that the first thing I said when watching a Starcraft 2 gameplay video was ‘Hmm… the marines look and sound shooty enough. I think I’ll get this game.’

MARIIIIINES! AH-TTAAAAAAAAACCK

*ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatat*

For many a moon the only units I ever produced from every starcraft skirmish were marines, medics, and battlecruisers, because the only thing nearly as cool as a space marine is a capital ship.