CCP Trademark and Dodgy Logo: Dust 514

By Jim Rossignol on August 5th, 2009 at 10:16 am.

Eve Online developers CCP have filed two new trademarks pertaining to online gaming: Dust, and Dust 514. And it could be something Eve-related, but that’s totally a word I would use were I trademarking a post-apocalyptic game world. Actually I’d probably call it “Dust Tribes”, for the vehicular combat vibe, but that’s just me (Omg, to the trademark factory!) There’s loads of speculation flying around about this at the moment – particularly since CCP showed an FPS prototype a while back – but we don’t know anything more. We’re expecting something to be revealed at the Cologne games Con, where the CCP bossman is going to give a keynote.

Needless to say, if CCP do end up making a post-apocalyptic PvP-focused MMO, my life will be ruined.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Stupoider says:

Interesting, veeery interesting… I like CCP, EVE Online looks like a great game from what I’ve seen and experiences through the free trial. I’d be interested in seeing what else CCP can do.

2. Alex says:

Hey, 514 is my area code. I wouldn’t mind playing a post-apocalyptic game set in my own backyard.

3. Heliocentric says:

Being 500lb living in your parents loft and growing back a virginity because of an mmo is nothing to be ashamed of jim.

Wait, no. That was a lie, look on the bright side maybe its an mmo you can progress without playing, like eve

4. roBurky says:

That logo is totally a twisted version of the Eve one.

5. Tweakd says:

It really is Eve with a mask nestled in the ‘V’. Afaik they haven’t bothered with logos in previous expansions so I can only assume it’s for something else.

6. Mike says:

So… same canon as EVE, but on foot?

7. espy says:

“if CCP do end up making a post-apocalyptic PvP-focused MMO, my life will be ruined.”

My thoughts exactly. Must ignore any news on this.

8. hmrf says:

If it would be eve-ìsh, but on foot, I’d be sold.

9. Mihai says:

Oh my god! That would be splendid. Please, please, please let this be true!

10. Darthy says:

Consider me interested.

11. anpd says:

Could be based on the Dust comic books.

12. Heliocentric says:

What would happen if the fps synergised with eve. Making them both meaningful within eachother. But that won’t happen because its bad ethically unless they shared a subscription. Hmm..

13. Tei says:

It will be funny if EVE spawn something like a Anarchy Online mmo.

14. Falwell says:

All signs point to the FPS. Now, where they can REALLY strike gold is integrating this directly into Eve. Fight for ground occupation of planets in FPS style. Troop / supply transport ships and orbital bombardment added to the current Eve formula.

My, my my, what a gem that could be.

15. Sweedums says:

EVE is killing me, I signed up for the 21 day trial 3 days ago and have played about 45 hours since…. I think I’ve fallen in love, just waiting for the daily maintenance window to pass so I can go space truckin’ again :D

16. Gap Gen says:

17. Metal_Circus says:

post-apocalypse is the new WW2

18. Surgeon says:

An FPS focussed MMO made by CCP is the stuff dreams are made of.

19. Seniath says:

@Mihai Why on earth would you wish that upon poor Jim, what has he ever done to you?!

20. Ian says:

Poor Jim. :(

21. Ghil says:

And so this is how I lose my social life. ungh.

22. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

would make sense with the 3D bars and corp HQs in da works.

23. Cian says:

Am I wrong in thinking an EVE FPS project was being discussed by CCP a few months ago? Perhaps this is the time all those marines in my cargo bay will come in handy.

Not to mention the Exotic Dancers…

24. Dominic White says:

Well, we already know that an on-foot segment of Eve is already in the works. There were some WIP screenshots released a while back that looked nothing short of lovely, and included (among other things) two player-avatars sitting down at a bar, and playing a holographic hex-based wargame.

I’d love to see the Eve universe expand into other genres. Let other people crunch the numbers and fly the ships – I want to be leading the boarding parties, and stomping around planetside.

25. Tei says:

Yo dawng, I ear you like walking in a world, so we will put a gaem about walking in your world.

26. Broken Tooth Koi says:

Ô.o

27. Azhrarn says:

Well, the FPS mentioned above, was indeed shown at Fanfest 2008. And according to another player on the EVE forums, a Dev mentioned in passing that the projected was named “Dust”, so that would be my guess as for the origins.

Probably means they’re getting ready to reveal the title, and an announcement has been mentioned for the GDC 2009 Keynote, that the CEO of CCP will be giving.
    We’ll know on the 17th I suppose.

28. hmrf says:

Jeesh, I’m getting excited. Ever since Neocron started to get bad I’ve been waiting for an MM(whatever)G to appeal to me.

29. Hades says:

Wasn’t CCP supposed to also make an MMO based on the World of Darkness setting – Vampire: Masquerade et al ?

30. Azhrarn says:

Yes Hades, they are, but it’s most likely going to be called World of Darkness Online or something recognisable as part of the White Wolf WoD setting, and I don’t think Dust 514 would be that. ;)

31. jalf says:

So… same canon as EVE, but on foot?

I can just imagine hanging around on a space station waiting for the bus to 0.0 space… :p

32. Azhrarn says:

A friendly player on the EVE forums looked the footage up on Youtube, follow the link, it’s not very long, but should leave a nice impression.

33. Davee says:

Yikes, this might be just what I’ve hoped for, the whole FPS-integrated-into-Eve Online-thing.

34. MacBeth says:

I’d love to see an orbital battle going on while watching from the ground with huge ships hanging in the sky in exactly the same way that bricks don’t… can’t help thinking that they’d be ludicrously OP compared to any ground forces though… just throwing a small rock from orbit would be like a massive nuke when it hit the planet…

35. Azhrarn says:

Considering that the average battleship (which are probably the smallest ships that could hit something on the surface of a planet from orbit) is around a mile long and shoots projectiles ranging from 425mm (Railguns) to 1400mm (Artillery), not counting cruise missiles and huge lasers. You really don’t want to be anywhere near a location those things hit.

Once you start counting Dreadnoughts (Dedicated Siege Warfare ships), you’re looking at 1000mm Railgun rounds (the size of a large fridge) and 2000mm Artillery shells (the size of a small car) raining down at a pretty high rate.

36. Matt says:

@hrmf

Was Neocron ever good? Don’t get me wrong though, in terms of nailing the atmosphere of post apocalypticness, it did so, and I loved it for that. I’ve been waiting ever since I left probably 6 years ago for a replacement post apocalyptic MMOFPS type thing. I’m hoping this is it.

37. Psychopomp says:

This is relevant to my interests.

38. Vasagi says:

@Psychopomp

Your mum is relevant to my interests.

39. jonfitt says:

I would have gone with Dust Might myself.

40. Psychopomp says:

@Vasagi

Your mum was interested in my relevants.

41. Vasagi says:

@psychopomp

i doubt my mother was interested in your elephant made of revels!

42. Psychopomp says:

@Vasagi

Oh come on, who *doesn’t* love relephants?

43. LionsPhil says:

“If I were a developer, I’d trademark creepy words like “Sodomy Master” or “Enema Warlords” just to get people speculating. Also so that no-one could actually make those games.”

Sorry, Gap Gen, but the Japanese have almost certainly already beaten you to it. And beat to it. Ahem.

44. Vasagi says:

@psychopomp

touche

also i like to say while every one is looking for ccp to do the next big/cool/diffrent thing in mmo’s i challenge RPS to ferret some information out of arenanet on what they are up!

45. _scout_ says:

White Wolf has more than one setting for their PnP.
    Among them Trinity ( http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Trinity ) is a SciFi setting, which is discontinued.

This would allow White Wolf and CCP to part of what they got in house already and expand on it without offending/disturbing the current continued RPing games/setting WoD/White Wolf has.

46. antonymous says:

“Walking in Stations” has arrived :)

47. kwyjibo says:

I reckon CCP should just give up on development and start asserting its rights over trademarks such as Eve and Dust.

That’s the kind of activity that promotes innovation in the games industry.

48. Jochen Scheisse says:

A Trinity project is highly improbable. I know the setting and there’s not much that could relate to the logo or the name. It is neither grimdark nor post-apocalyptic. Also, CCP already have a sci fi setting, they would be insane to start a new one now, which is less known in the computer scene and discontinued in the PnP scene.
    As CCP have shown Eurogamer some footage of an ego shooter in the EVE universe, it’ll probably be that.

49. hrmf says:

@Matt
    Yeah..well..at least there once was a time when it was better than it is now. Which didn’t make it great. But heck, the world needs more (good) cyberpunk games. Post apocalyptic and or cyberpunk stuff makes me happy.

50. TheSombreroKid says:

count me in, and i don’t say that about mmo’s lightly.

Comment on this story