A New Old World: NeoCore On King Arthur

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2009 at 4:01 pm.

King Arthur, a supernatural “role-playing wargame” from Neocore games in Hungary, surely is looking neat (although rather similar to their previous Crusaders: Thy Kingdom Come). In the video below the excitingly-named Zoltan Varga explains a little about what that genre-mash means, and what the mystical medievalism of the game entails. Varga talks through the dialogue trees that knights will face, and shows how the game is a little bit like Total War’s turn-based vs real-time mix, only with more focus on the development of the individual knights.

Just so you have a flavour of the game, that guy above is lovely Sir Lancelot, and – as the video reveals – foot-soldiers are at risk of being dragged into spell-summoned hell-vortexes in the sky. Yeah, comedy cavaliers it ain’t. Go watch the video.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Xercies says:

Looks pretty damn good, the strategic map looks a bit different but the RTS battles are just a copy of Total War games.

2. Schadenfreude says:

Ooh. He mentioned Fighting Fantasy. That’s enough to get me curious right there.

3. Dead Fish says:

Nice monitor.

4. the_magma says:

the game doesnt do much for me. however i infinitely prefer the deadpan, matter-of-fact delivery of these type of promos, to the pumped up, buzzword, hype filled dev talks employed by many studios

5. Saul says:

Mmm a strategy game that really gets my interested. That’s new.

6. Ashbery76 says:

TotalWar with fantasy,magic in battles,roleplaying sounds neat.

7. Ubernutz says:

His accent single handedly sold the game to me.

8. Vasagi says:

RPS branded video!

id buy that for a dollar!

9. Jeremy says:

Looks pretty awesome! I will be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

10. Acidburns says:

Stone, Paper, Scissors method! I think games based around soft counters are more interesting. Anyway, the game looks pretty cool, I’ll be looking forward to a wot I think on this Stone, Paper, Shotgun.

11. pkt-zer0 says:

Pfeh, there’s few things that make my head hurt more than speech/text that’s halfway between two actual languages, especially if one of them’s my mother tongue.

Btw, Varga Zoltán is pretty high up on the list of mundane names here, actually.

Oh yeah, the game looks neat, I guess. Seems to be somewhat different, which is a good thing.

12. Sartoris says:

“beautiful locations, fantasy soldiers, mythic battlefields…and biggest fuck ever”? I hope that’s what he said near the end :D

13. Azradesh says:

14. Serenegoose says:

That looks really interesting. Reminds me a bit of warcraft 3, which is no bad thing. If they can tie in the magic/RPG elements well, then yeah, this could be great.

15. Half Broken Glass says:

“Wow, I’ve been waiting for a game of this nature for years and now this one pops out of no where.”

“no where” is pretty damn accurate. So accurate, in fact, that it’s outright suspicious. I never heard about Crusader(s?): Thy Kingdom Come, and it doesn’t look like the kind of game that just quietly slips by. Neither did I know about Neocore existing.
    No Wiki articles on Neocore, Crusader(s?) or the King Arthur, either.

*cue X-Files music*

16. heroic zero says:

@Sartoris: I think he said “biggest fight ever.”

I heard the same thing at first too, though. :)

17. Alastayr says:

The prospect of being able to push so many buttons makes me all fuzzy inside. :)

18. LactoseTheIntolerant says:

Colour me interested. I shall be keeping an eye on this. Though I have to say the screenshots I’ve seen for Crusaders seem a wee bit indistinguishable from the ones for King Arthur.

I may have to give Crusaders a try. Hadn’t heard of it before now.

19. kong says:

How often did I dream of using magic in any Total War game?
    Grreat.

20. l1ddl3monkey says:

Interested. Not sure it’s exactly “cannon” but it’s a sufficiently different idea to have got me wanting to see more.

21. Agrajag says:

Wow, not much of an RTS fan, but this looks awesome!

22. Don says:

@Xercies: the RTS battles are just a copy of Total War games.

Not enough in the video to tell. In future instalments look out for units who’ve dismounted and forgotten how to get back on their horses and artillery that frags all the heroes on their own side. If seen then it is a perfect TW clone.

23. DK says:

Reminds me of Mark of Chaos (the Warhammer Fantasy Total War ripoff), only decent instead of dumbed down to the loaf of bread level.

24. JKjoker says:

this game reminds me a lot of Warhammer horned rat and dark omen… just … not as good

25. Okami says:

Could we all please stop calling games that have Total War style RTS battles (i.e. RTS battles where you control large formations of troops instead of single units and that take things like morale and terrain into account) “Total War ripoffs” or accusing them of copying Total War?

When was the last time you called an FPS a Doom clone? Or said that an RTS copied Dune 2?

26. tka says:

Looks promising, but I would prefer turn-based and more simplified combat like in Master of Magic. My battles in Total War games always degenerate to chaotic mess. And this has spells to make it even more disastrous!

27. Jeremy says:

Dwarf Fortress is a total ripoff of SimCity.

28. IvanHoeHo says:

Problem: When I watch videos, I usually load it up, mute it, and then watch it when it’s fully loaded or when I’m done with the other tabs.

Your flv player doesn’t allow that, and every time I try to do it, it idiotically streams the whole thing again, wasting your precious bandwidth. Is there any setting that can stop it from doing that?

29. destroy.all.monsters says:

Argh I can’t get this to play. Using Chrome if that makes a difference.

The first time I loaded it up I could hear audio but the picture was static (i.e. not moving).

30. Flimgoblin says:

Ooh, like total war but with teleporting units. Potentially adds a bit more variety when you can set those pesky skirmishing horse archers on fire…

31. Ashurbanipal says:

Yeah. Warhammer: Dark Omen and its predecessor Shadow of the Horned Rat did Total War style battles before Total War ever did.

32. Rei Onryou says:

This must be what a fantasy Total War game would be like.

If Creative Assembly don’t do an equivalent, this looks like it’ll be worth putting money on.

33. Diogo Ribeiro says:

“Zoltan Varga” sounds like a kickass name for a pulp, Flash Gordonesque hero. Sounds better than King Artur, too.

34. rob75383 says:

Funny you should say that. We call our cousin – “Zoltan from the planet Mongo” since he has a few screws loose. Hard to get a more generic magyar name than Zoltan Varga.

35. A-Scale says:

Total War meets Black & White meets Age of Mythology?

36. Biz says:

wait… so the actual name is “King Arthur: the role-playing wargame”

37. Stromko says:

The Total War ‘formula’, in its basic state, goes really quite far back and has been touched by numerous creators. Fantasy Empires from Silicon Knights / SSI was my first experience with the formula, and it was quite a nice game, still a great concept although the battle system doesn’t quite get across the grandeur of large scale battles like modern 3D games can.

This King Author video really grabbed my attention when they got to the part where you send your knights on adventures and click through dialogue / event trees. Oh sure, it’s just text boxes that you click and then depending on what branch you end up going down it determines the consequences — but that’s really the best way a videogame can actually be a roleplaying game. The closest analogue to sitting down across the table from a competent DM / storyteller and playing through his campaign is things like that. The _mechanics_ of a roleplaying game are commonplace in game design, but real story decisions that impact the destiny of your character is very rare.

Obviously game designers can’t allow you to do anything in their games, but a dialogue tree with just text and pictures ala Space Rangers II is at least a method of trying to cover as many reasonable possibilities as they can, and face players with real choices without taking weeks to code each and every choice.

I’m probably making it sound more grandiose than it is, though, especially since we can’t make out what the text actually was and whether it was telling a good story, or whether the consequences of those little vignettes were actually important, or whether or not there’s enough different stories and possibilities to keep things fresh for awhile, but it gives me hope at least.

I’m a little leery of blending tactical battles with roleplaying elements and devastating powers, seems tricky to balance, but if they pull it off it could be a great deal of fun. I’d think it would really help those of us who feel a little helpless in Total War’s battles, since we could approach it as a roleplaying game and win through shrewd use of powers rather than tricky mass maneuvering of troops.

38. Azradesh says:

@Ashurbanipal
    I’d forgotten all about Dark Omen. Is it just me or was that game damn hard?

39. Davie says:

I have to say, the battles look epic. More so than the TW series. I’ll have to check this out when it arrives.

40. Tei says:

My first experience for a “total war” like game was “Ambush at Sorinor” a 2D game for msdos. I still don’t really like it.

41. Tei says:

Review at 1994

Quote:
    ————
    “Ambush at Sorinor is definitely unique. As a result, it is hard to tell who would like it and who wouldn’t. From a purely strategic standpoint, there is a lot of variety but not a large scope (each battle takes only a quarter hour or so to complete). From an RPG standpoint, there are familiar characters but you don’t have much (if any) individual control during actual combat. It is a good game to play if you enjoy creating your own games like I do (using the map/scenario editors) or if you like strategy but don’t have a lot of free time.”
    ————

Is fun how the reviewer don’t “get it”. He was comparing a total war game to D&D rpg games. He was genuinely puzzled, because the game was original (to him) so to no use for a gamer. I don’t expect people to like games that are genuinely original.

42. Black Mamba says:

Looks pretty good plus that guy has an awesome name Zoltan Varga

43. Samuel says:

let’s hope for a pause button to get everything back in control all 20seconds or so. i cannot understand why they do not consider to make it turn-based.
    dialogs, control over your heros at the Ropund Table look really great. reminds me a lot of HoMM which is a good thing. if only the HoMM developers would try to push that many new ideas into that series…that curse spell colse to the end really looked like an animation of a spell in HoMM5!

44. Subject 706 says:

Color me VERY interested. Game mechanics seem to be a mix between the TW games and Dark Omen, which can only be a good thing. Art style is dark (THANK YOU EASTERN EUROPE), instead of bright fairy tale la-la land style.

45. Don says:

@IvanHoeHo: it idiotically streams the whole thing again, wasting your precious bandwidth. Is there any setting that can stop it from doing that?

Not an RPS problem I think, it’s the site serving up the video. In my case I don’t even see the video embed unless I tell Noscript to allow v.giantrealm. When I did that, and before I clicked play on either video, it started grabbing data from gametrailers to the extent that it started killing the BBC iPlayer running in another tab and I had to close this page and come back later. If I’d clicked play then fair enough, I’m saying I want to be sent data, to start consuming significant bandwidth just because I’ve landed on the page is rather antisocial behaviour.

46. MrBejeebus says:

Looks cool, and RPS must be going up in the world, LOOK YOU HAVE YOUR NAME IN THE VIDEOPLAYER!

47. MonkeyMonster says:

yowser – that looks quite seriously entertaining!

48. moromete says:

Too bad they never patched Crusaders, it could have been a nice focused strategy title but the original release had issues…

49. isaiah says:

is the allredy out or when dose it come out