DM-Cubemap

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2009 at 10:05 am.

RPS reader Robbie McKnight sent us a link to his new Unreal Tournament 3 map, which can be found here. He’s taken something of an unusual angle on things as UT3 maps go: everything is built in primary colours and pre-school Platonics. I like the sun best of all. Compare and contrast, if you will, with this map. The two ends of the UT3 mapping spectrum, perhaps?

There’s a video of Robbie’s work after the hop.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. l1ddl3monkey says:

Started playing UT3 at the weekend after finding I had bought it but not installed it on Steam. DM_Foundry pops up everywhere and is a very good map made by a very skilled mapper.

I don’t personally take to the art style of Cubemap and it’s not all that original (I’m thinking of other maps like DoD Legoland and there was an early Quake DM map called Funfair or similar that also did the same trick) but from a tactical play point of view it looks like it ticks all the UT boxes; am off to find it on a server somewhere and have a go at it.

2. reginald says:

I dont understand how this was featured on the front page at all. several shaders aside, everything in this map could be accomplished within Goldsource (HL1) engine, and often was, if you look at some of the mario, and rat maps from that era.

katamari nails this same basic aesthetic with a much sharper eye for design.

3. Levictus says:

Looks like a pretty cool map. Remind me of the Mario maps for TF2. I miss rats, I wish someone would make a version of rate for TF2.

4. Senethro says:

Given that I’ve not been playing FPS for over a decade or when games ACTUALLY looked like this, this art style was fresh and new to me. I also think its worth praising quake maps that aren’t dirty metal arenas and counterstrike maps that aren’t rooms full of crates. Check this previous article out.

Support your amateur content developer.

5. Andy`` says:

It’s been done before in much older games (Padman maps were quite good, fyi), and professional developers can get a better aesthetic down. It hadn’t been done in UT3 yet, at least to my knowledge (there’s Sonic and LEGO maps, but the aesthetic’s different, and they’re both based on licensed properties), a game which sorely needs colourful maps, but it looks like the guy just make it for laughs in his spare time rather than trying to make a high quality map, and it’s nothing compared to ‘proper’ maps.

So what? Looks fun :) You do remember what that is, right?

Props to Robbie for doing something different. Do more.

6. Freudian Trip says:

Just thought I’d be an arsehole and point out that Green, Brown, Cyan and White aren’t primary colours.

7. mrrobsa says:

Wheee! Thanks for props Jim!
    This is my first UT3 map, so feedback is most welcome.
    I understand people saying this has been done before (better), but that’s by the by for me, I just wanted to avoid the typical Unreal aesthetic and go for something different, so I’ve got a flat, cartoony feel. Gravity Bone was an inspiration, I loved how everything was represented by chunky models.
    I’d like to add that my map has a custom Jeep with square wheels, you won’t find that in DM-Foundry! ;)
    Cheers,
    Robbie

8. jsutcliffe says:

@ Freudian Trip:

Cyan is often used in the blue position when you’re painting, actually. Similarly, you sometimes find magenta used instead of red. Seems to provide a broader gamut of mixing possibilities.

So there.

9. jalf says:

@Freudian Trip: Have you ever wondered what the ‘G’ in RGB stands for? ;)
    Green is a primary color if you’re using the additive color system. And in CMYK, cyan is certainly a primary color as well.

10. Agrajag says:

@Jalf RGB is not a primary color list for painting, RYB is since you can mix any color by mixing any of the 3 with the white of the canvas.

11. DMJ says:

@Agrajag: Actually cyan, magenta and yellow are the primary subtractive colours.

Red, green, and blue are the primary additive colours.

12. Inglorion says:

Seen several CS maps like that.

13. Idle Threats & Bad Poetry says:

This is ridiculously awesome, by the way.

14. Omroth says:

Um… yeah really surprised this makes the front page.

15. sana says:

Since you’re already featuring… THIS, how about you also go and showcase the UT99 map I recently made under 7 hours? It’s called Right2Live. You know, that’s artistic and stuff, like Gang Garrison. Totally worth the news.

16. Concept says:

Howard: Shoddy 360ish graphics!

Concept: It’s actually really fun to play.

17. sana says:

18. Howard says:

@Concept
    WTF?

19. Noc says:

. . . does being viciously amused by the “making the front page” comments make me a bad person?

20. Jim Rossignol says:

Okay, I’m lost.

Also: wait till your momma makes the front page, etc.

21. dylan says:

Heh. TF2 has its own fair (more unfair really) share of maps like this. If anyone can attest to the horrifying wastebucket of a mario-kart map for me I’d be very happy :D

22. mrrobsa says:

@ Noc: I was wondering about that. Where else would RPS posts go? Unless theres a back page to this website I’ve been missing….

23. destroy.all.monsters says:

Sana’s map is here (thanks to google and unreal.pl): http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1098

Haven’t tried it.

24. Davee says:

Well, I can’t say I’ve never seen a map like this before. But it looks like a fairly well-done one and a nice break from the usual metalish UT3 maps. And do post more things like this! Amature content ftw (and this might make my evil plan of getting my own Source-map on front-page here feasible *evil laugh*).

25. Spoon says:

This looks like the mapper had too much fun playing minecraft.

26. Clippit says:

This is cool, reminds me of ONS-ToonCountry (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=430988) for UT2004 which is a really nice example of this style (and has great music too).

27. Sonic Goo says:

- I like the idea of discussing individual maps in posts. It seems very PC to me. Also better than ‘game X is coming in 5 months’, ‘game X is coming in 4 months’, ‘game X is coming in 3 months’ kind of posts. More of this, less of that, please.

– I bought the Collector’s Edition of U3 but the game really bummed me out, for a large part because of the art style. It’s nice to see mappers and modders providing some variation.

– I’m not sure this particular map would be the best example to post, though. As Clippit shows, there are more accomplished examples out there.

-Beans!

28. Michael says:

“- I’m not sure this particular map would be the best example to post, though. As Clippit shows, there are more accomplished examples out there.”µ

I absolutely agree. Not to make light of the work that went into making this, but to pull something like this off, you need to be an accomplished illustrator or similar. Your grasp on stylised graphics certainly needs to go further than just slapping clashing colours and gradients on everything.

29. Jim Rossignol says:

More importantly, none of those maps were by an RPS reader who wrote in specifically to tell us about it.

“Kommunidee!”