Lead & Gold: Gangs Of The Wild West

By Jim Rossignol on August 10th, 2009 at 6:59 pm.

Just in case you were wondering, the flurry of announcements we’re getting now is thanks to the big European games convention in Cologne, which I believe kicks off on the 19th. We’ll see lots of new games from European devs showing off there with their latest wares, including new Swedish development studio Fatshark, who have just announced their first game: a multiplayer cowboy shooter, Lead & Gold: Gangs Of The Wild West. It seems that the game is a third-person, team-based shooter constructed using Starbreeze’s Grin’s engine, Diesel. Rootin’ tootin’ trailer below…

, .

1. dan- says:

We really need more Western games. We’ve had a shoddy port of GUN, Call of Juarez and what else? Outlaws 10 years ago?

C’mon devs, Once Upon A Time in the West: The Game, make it happen. :p

2. bhdkrzys says:

i dunno if anyone else notices this… but seams kinda similar to TF2

3. bhdkrzys says:

i dunno if anyone else notices this… but seems kinda similar to TF2

4. Cedge says:

Diesel is GRIN’s engine, not Starbreeze’s.

Red Dead Revolver is still the best Western game of the past decade or so. On PC, though, I am especially fond of the UT99 mod, Badlands. Fistful of Frags is nice, too.

This game looks decent enough, I suppose. I’m really not looking forward to the inevitability of people calling it a ripoff of TF2.

5. Player2 says:

Only similarites would be the classes -if that is infact what the diffrent skins represent-, team colors, and shooting at other people. Really you could make that arguement with many FPS’s.

And yes, we are in dire need of some nice western games.

6. DMJ says:

It has one decent explosion (repeated several times, it would appear), the rest of the entire game looks… underwhelming.

A multiplayer game trailer in which everyone stands still and engages with rifles from short distances apart is either (badly) staged or indicative of poor game design.

7. Markoff Chaney says:

Outlaws really nailed the wild wild west mythos so well. I don’t think any other game has captured the Spaghetti Western idealized environment that good so far. The CoJ outings have been fun, but didn’t quite nail it, imo. Red Dead Revolver seemed to come pretty darn close, and was also very fun, but she never came out on the PC. Controller only makes aiming a gun, with only a Analog stick no less, shite and knocks it down quite a few notches in my mind. As far as this one goes: third person multiplayer shooter? Meh. I like the name Fatshark a lot more than that combination of descriptors, but I’m a serious fan of first person viewpoints rather than disembodied hovercam.

8. LewieP says:

Snazzy video player.

9. kong says:

Jonah Hex RPG-shooter would be grand

10. Davee says:

This could be interesting. But the thing that made me think about TF2/Source even before reading the comments about it was the explosion- and weapon sounds that is exactly the same as in HL2 and TF2. Maby they just ripped them off for this trailer though? Or happened to use the same sounds source? But now that I think of it… Maby Fatshark has something to do with the Source mod Fistfull of Frags… The trailer sure looked alot like that mod. And it would explain the sounds ;)

11. Davee says:

Heh, sorry, I meant: “… was that some of the explosion and weapon sounds are exactly the same as in HL2/TF2.”

12. Sam says:

I know I’m a bad boy for adblocking RPS, but fair warning: AdBlock makes the new video player hang, so disable it for RPS if you are having trouble.

13. H says:

Just looked like a mod for TF2 to me.

Sorry to jump on that particular bandwagon, but there it is.

14. LewieP says:

@Sam

Seems fine for me with Adblock on.

15. bhdkrzys says:

@Cedge
    I was merely making an observation. Don’t get me wrong, if it plays great, I’m all over it. After all… who couldn’t use more TF2? ;)

And yes, Call of Duty is like Medal of Honor, just like Warcraft is like Warhammer. Doesn’t make any of them bad games… but they were sort of going off popular genres. Even though rip-offs are great when done right, I still think originality makes the most lasting impressions.

16. Stupoider says:

A TF2 Western! :D

Hehe, it does sort of borrow from TF2 but it isn’t of glaring significance. I thought it looked pretty good, and could make for a good game if it’s going the multiplayer route.

I wasn’t too impressed by the windmill’s destruction though, I was expecting something a bit more destructive rather than something that reminded me of the gibs that follow breaking a wooden table in HL2.

17. Stupoider says:

“Yeah, bhdkrzys, it seems vaguely similar to TF2 in some regards. And Call of Duty is a lot like Medal of Honor. The point?”

The point is.. it looks a bit like TF2. And it is different from Call of Duty and Medal of Honor because TF2 is stylised rather than realistic. :> TF2 goes for a more unique appearance and it’s easier to spot when something goes for that look too, whereas there are many many realistic looking shooters out there.

I think we’re all fine with it though, we’re not grabbing pitchforks or anything.

18. brulleks says:

@Dan

There was also Wanted, the half-life mod. I’d recommend giving that a go for some freebie Western FPS fun if you haven’t already tried it.

19. Nighthood says:

No game can top the Call of Juarez series for me, they truly are the best western games ever. It’s not often you get a game with gameplay that works, occasionally astonishing graphics and a great story rolled into one.[/fanboyism]

20. Tanner says:

The best Western multiplayer FPS I have come across is Smokin’ Guns. And hey! It’s free!

21. IvanHoeHo says:

I want a game based on early 1900s Manchuria, so we can have the best setting AND the best guns, all rolled into one!

Think The Good, the Bad, the Weird: the game, but with more Chinese. ‘Cause I’m patriotic like that.

22. Günter says:

How can you people even tell what this game is like? All I saw in that trailer was three-second-long clips of guns being fired and a few explosions, none of which screamed “TF2″ at me.

23. Oak says:

They’re talking about the setting, Günter.

24. Malibu Stacey says:

Red Dead Redemption
    On PC as well as the consoles according to July’s issue of EDGE.

25. mrrobsa says:

Read Dead’s gonna have euphoria right?
    That’s the one I want, procedural horse dismounts will be the shiz.

26. mrrobsa says:

Hahaha ‘Read Dead’, whoops.

27. jph wacheski says:

TF2 is in a fantasy spy/weastern/60s space/ww2 film mashup setting this is a simple western setting,. . Wow, people can spot similarities between games,. who knew and so what. and every 2d arena shooter is a Geometry Wars clone,. like Robotron never existed befor that? Just get over it, games like all creative work, build on the past and often use historic settings,. . “use the same sounds source?” er,. gun shots? lol

28. Dom says:

Like Tanner said previously, Smokin’ Guns is a great Western fps, as is Fistful of Frags – a source mod.
    Not a fan of third-person, but this shows promise.