RPS Asks: Multiplayer gaming – How Much?

By RPS on August 11th, 2009 at 8:35 am.

Good morning, internet. We have a question for you: are you playing a multiplayer videogame on a regular basis? Whether it’s a racing game, an MMO, an FPS, or even head-to-head Tetris, we want to know. How many multiplayer games are you playing? How much time are you putting in? Please fill in the poll below and then let us know what it is you play in the comments. (Bonus points for recognising the header image.)

n
{democracy:32}

n
{democracy:31}

__________________

« | »

1. Jetsetlemming says:

I don’t have the focus to play multiple multiplayer games. I’ll play one, burn myself out, go on to another, go back, etc. But always just have one singular time that I feel like playing. Typically I go for a couple weeks before switching.
    Currently, I’ve been playing Soldier of Fortune 2 MP. It’s got a nice balance between mindless deathmatching and a tiny taste of counterstrike shooting mechanics to it, and I’m surprisingly really damn good at it. Been having fun with that.

2. sassy says:

bah I hate other people ruining mah gamin!!!

I prefer single player games simply cause I like stories, which even MMORPG’s are severely lacking in. MP games are fun enough but feel pointless after an hour or two and I basically will never go back to it.

3. Vinraith says:

I don’t play multiplayer games with strangers as a rule, and my usual compatriots and I have been too busy of late to coordinate schedules, so it’s been strictly single player for the last month or so. This is one reason I don’t place a lot of value on the multiplayer components of games (and virtually no value on MP-only games), you never know when your ability to play them is going to evaporate.

4. Mike says:

Yeah. I played a lot since I found a community to play with, but if I didn’t have them I think I’d barely venture into MP at all.

5. Vasagi says:

I used to play EvE alot but cant afford it anymore due to crap like the company the wife worked for goin under.

so im now playing Guild Wars again, after the initail layout its the best online rpg in my opinion, currently playing nightfall then ill work my way through the other chapters.

im in a fairly large Euro alliance that PvP’s alot as well so theres plenty going on.

6. idespair says:

GM of a WoW raid guild, so even allowing for the fact that I try to play as little as possible I usually clock up 15-20 hours a week.

Funny how a game can suddenly become a responsibility.

7. Howard says:

For some reason my MP gaming has been reduced to just TF2 as of late and my time spent on that has dipped dramatically. If you had asked me 2 months ago then I would have had to confess to a nasty case of WoW as well and raiding alone was costing me 20+ hours per week…oh the shame…

8. Ian says:

It’s Extreme Violence on the Amiga, isn’t it?

9. Ian says:

The pic is Extreme Violence on the Amiga, isn’t it?

It certainly looks that way, and I remember that game fondly. Came on a coverdisk for Amiga Power, I think. If I’m wrong, I’ve waffled a bit much here. Hmm.

10. Ragnar says:

About the only multiplayer game I have played regularly recently (as in the last few years) is Trackmania.

11. nabeel says:

I’m not a big multiplayer gamer at all, mainly because of a turrrrble internet connection. But I do love some L4D with my mates every now and then.

12. zipdrive says:

I don’t have much time to play, as do my friends, so we can’t get online at the same time (or offline, for that matter).

playing with RIPs (Random Internet People) just doesn’t cut it for me.

13. Dreamhacker says:

I don’t even regularly play modern, multiplayer games, so my time put into online play is zero.

I used to play alot of Battlefield 2 online, but since then I have yet to find a multiplayer game that isn’t littered with hardcore sado-rushishists for RTS’ (yes, that’s a word now) or just laughably small in scale compared to BF2 for FPS’ (once you go 64 player, you never go back).

Needless to say, I look forward to BF3.

14. [21CW] 2000AD says:

1 – 3+ games
    I still play Battlefield 2 almost every week with the guys over at 21CW.
    Normally get a few games of Left 4 Dead a week with friends I met playing it.
    Then I normally have 1 or 2 games that I’ve either got new or am dusting off a classic to placate an itch till something new comes. (TF2, CoD4, CS:S, WoW, WAR, hell I’ve even given Farcry 2 and Stalker multiplayer a go)

2 – Normally 12+ hours per week
    I normally put 6 hours into BF2 over at 21CW on saturday while the campaign is running, so that’s half of that there.
    Sometimes it can dip below 12+ if I’ve got a new single player game, biggest example being the new Football Manager each year.

15. Vaynes says:

I don’t really have much time at home to play multiplayer games anymore so i’m usually confined to LAN games of RSV2/COD:MW during lunch at work

16. MonktonGaz says:

I watched entire months evaporate from my life in Ultima Online. Since then, I overdosed on Wow in the first couple of years, and that’s about it. Most of the time I’m a single player kinda guy. I like stories, not shooting people in the head. Age thing, I guess…

17. Nimic says:

I’m not sure how to answer this, really. There’s periods where I do almost no multiplayer gaming, like right now. And then there’s periods where I play TF2 all week long. Really, all the multiplayer I do is TF2, and TF2 goes in cycles for me. So the answer will vary from 0 to 12+ (A LOT more than 12).

18. Biz says:

i spend most of my time playing multiplayer (civ4 and quake live recently). i’d play more single player if the games actually had AI and were more accessible

AI needs to be non-cheating and good enough to compete against AFTER i learn “how to play” the game. the AI being challenging while i’m still figuring out the game mechanics doesn’t really count in my book. however, coop games manage to stay fun even with overpowered AI

accessible meaning I can play short amounts without having to make up for it later by relearning stuff when I come back to the game. i’m likely to forget the story and control setup if I take a break or something like that.

19. TonyB says:

Current regulars, in descending order of recent playtime: Battlefield 1943, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Battlefield Heroes. I normally play half an hour of TF2 or Heroes at work during lunchtimes, and have an extended session of random things with my mates every Thursday night. After that, I’ll normally play something multiplayer two or three other times a week (mostly with friends, sometimes not), so I think I make it up to the 8-12 hour bracket.

20. Dean says:

A useful third question might be: “Do you play WoW?”

Because like all my friends, we started playing WoW when it came out, and we might play less now but still dabble in it. But we’ve no interest in playing another MMO, and certainly no interest in TF2, or anything like that.

It’s an anomaly and I think the figures for multiplayer would be far lower without it. (Not to mention all the people that play it as a single-player RPG)

21. gobion says:

It’s all about the small group multiplayer for me at the moment: Neotokyo, Left4Dead and some Call of Duty: World at War Co-op and zombie slaying for me. I had kinda gone off multiplayer but Left4Dead reminded me how much fun it can be.

I haven’t played a MMORPG since burning myself out on em (and also making one) several years back.

22. Seniath says:

TF2 and, er, TF2?

I hate randoms and Live Kiddies, so generally only partake in multiplayer games with the RPS Steam chaps.

23. Schmung says:

I go through phases with games. My FPS’ing is primarily done on the PC, but for most of the other stuff I stick with my 360. Used to be the most hardcore of PC gamers, but a lot of friends got 360s and I sort of drifted over to that as my primary multiplayer platform.

24. Jaffo says:

Can’t remember when I last played MP. I used to play OFP a lot with the same bunch of players but they moved on to ArmA and then ArmA2 (neither of which holds a candle to OFP imho) so it’s been pretty much SP since then, most recently Portal Prelude and Research & Development.

25. Hi!! says:

Can’t really answer this. I used to play a lot of TrackMania – I mean, almost every day. Then I played TrackMania Sunrise almost every day, and then Nations, and then Forever. But now I’m bored with it. I play some local MP, though. Mostly FIFA (on the 360, or FIFA-machine as that’s almost the only thing I use it for), but some Fall from Heaven II (hotseat) as well. Even played a game of Ports of Call the other day.

26. Hi!! says:

BTW: Extreme Violence?

27. CMaster says:

TF2, L4D – Demigod demo of late. Sometimes an MMO beta or trial (have played a full MMO but that was a while back). Defcon occasionally. Various HL2 mods. NOrmally with the same group of people I hang out on vent with.

28. RagingLion says:

I’m not playing much multiplayer at the moment since it goes in seasons. Last autumn I was playing lots of Left 4 Dead and Multiwinia with occassional bouts of TF2. That’s dried up recently but when new games come out or a set of friends suddenly decide to start playing something again that can all change.

29. Howard says:

LOL. 31 people play zero MP games but 32 people play MP games for zero hours a week =)

30. Heliocentric says:

I made a post but my browser eated it.

Sometimes i’d be 40+ hours. Most of my gaming time really is multiplayer, its one of those 54% mosts though.

31. MD says:

MonktonGaz says:
    I like stories, not shooting people in the head.

Pansy.

I tend to be a one-mp-game-at-a-time guy myself, but that can stretch to 2 or more if I’m straddling genres (e.g. an FPS, Civnet, and Worms). At the moment I seem to keep going back to Quake Live, despite deciding that I’ve had enough at least twice a week.

32. Tzarkahn says:

WoW, TF2, CS:S, DoW II

Have to admit WoW does become a bit of a “job” sometimes but I have friends so I play with them.

In fact all the games are played with people I “know” as opposed to internet people.

33. Dr. Nerfball says:

Umm… let’s see: -Battlefield Heroes
    -Battlefield 2
    -World In Conflict, although my internet makes staying connected to a game a bit of a struggle.
    -Team Fortress 2
    - Left 4 Dead
    - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
    - World of Warcraft, cutting down on it though
    - EvE, my new fix now that I’m trying to kick WoW =P

Hooray horrible addiction! It would probably be more impressive if I was good at any of them.

34. Heliocentric says:

One thing in my original big post was the number of games i play, i have a few dozen multiplayer games installed, i probably dip into 8 or so in any given week when i’m really in a multiplayerific mood.

35. Monchberter says:

I run a TF2 server / community (Killing Joke -KJ-) so guess where all my time goes…

36. Jonas says:

I never spend much time with multiplayer. I’ll generally just try it out once I finish the singleplayer portion of a game I like, and when I’m confident that I understand its basic dynamics, I stop and forget about it. Team Fortress 2 is the only exclusively multiplayer game that I own, and the only MP game I’ve kept playing after grokking it.

Co-op is different – if a game supports co-op I will always attempt to arrange to play it with a friend – Dawn of War 2 for example, I have played with 3 different people, so never made it very far :P

Unfortunately, too few coop games exist; not even enough for me to play one per month, let alone a week. So I’ve voted 0 on both questions.

A few years ago this would’ve looked different, when I still played in a couple of DM’d Neverwinter Nights campaigns. Those were the days. But the campaigns are over now, so no multiplayer for me at the moment.

37. Jonas says:

Oh uh actually that’s a lie about owning no other MP games than TF2, there’s also Left 4 Dead (okay it can be played SP, but who does that!?) and of course World of Warcraft. I don’t play either of those anymore though.

38. dartt says:

This week I have been mostly playing: Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 1943.

39. BinhoF says:

I pretty much never play MP anymore.

Dabbled in some Battlefield Heroes for a bit about a month ago, and that was a lot of fun, but I don’t really care much for MP.

Once in awhile I’ll also pick up WWII Online for a bit, and play it constantly for about a week or two, and then start getting annoyed by some of it’s mechanics and slowly play it less.

Used to play WoW (Got bored at lvl 30 something.). WoW is a job, and any friends you make you lose if you stop playing for about a week at a low level. I spent most of the time in game alone, doing random “Kill X amount of Y quests”, and as much as I liked the World of WoW, I figured if I was going to play a single player game, might as well play one with a story.

Done free trials for EvE, and WAR, wasn’t thrilled by either of them.

Otherwise, I play some steam MP games, like CS, DoD or NS, but only if I have a friend over at my house.

I played the SWG open beta, which was great fun because of the community, and I used to play XWA as part of the LSF (Wonder if anyone remembers that :).

I used to play LOAAADS (like, 12+hours a week) of AoE2 and Day of Defeat (Back when the had the OFP style crosshairs). But this was like, 6-7 years ago…I was about 15-16 then.

40. DMJ says:

TF2 and WoW… I’m so mainstream.

41. Joji says:

Playing TF2, L4D, Neotokyo, used to play some counter strike before Neotokyo came out and I also play some Pangya online haha

42. Dave says:

I find that only multiplayer FPS games can hold my attention these days. Occasionally there’s the odd SP gem like the Half Lifes, World of Goo, etc. but generally I always end up gravitating back towards TF2 or Battlefield 2142. Apart from the social aspect I think the main reason I play MP is because you can’t just pause it to wander off and make a cup of tea/ watch TV/ browse the internet etc. which is what always happens when I try to play a SP game.

43. pepper says:

About 3/4 games a week. differs of my mood. Playing Age of Chivelary in a clan, and playing Forgotten Hope 2(BF2 mod) in the World at War tournament with custom maps and all that. So that kinda ranks up to 12+ hours a week. Although i do enjoy vacation time right now. I also play games like Trackmania, project reality, Point of Excistance and a few more mods for other games.

44. Zerotime says:

I used to work in the prison system, and my reasoning for avoiding multiplayer was that if I was going to get called a faggot by a squeaky-voiced teenager, I wanted it to happen at work where I was at least being paid.

45. JB says:

Until fairly recently I’ve been playing a reasonable amount of TF2 and Red Orchestra. I’ve since stopped that and gone back to LoTRO, and I’m having a whale of a time. I guess I’ll probably end up playing it pretty solidly for a while, then back to the shooters.

46. caged_devil says:

At the minute only just come back from holiday, so there’s been no mp action. I’m not a WoW fanatic but rather dip into TF2 and L4D when i fancy it as well as a brief stint on NeoTokyo following the mention here. I’ve been playing more single player, namely Grid. All of this is inbetween RAID failures at the minute making my life fun.

47. Shaz says:

I’m an MMO/RPG junkie, for the most part. Currently playing a lot of: Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Neverwinter Nights 2. Randomly playing: City of Heroes(/Villains) & Titan Quest.

48. bansama says:

I’ve tried a few online multiplayer games in my time and haven’t found any (that still playable) that are enjoyable enough to want to play them. The likes of TF2 simply bore me to tears and most MMOs just aren’t worth playing unless you live in the US/EU zones due to server location.

So, it’s single player games mainly for me right now. Far more enjoyable and no worries of little toe rags and their desire to cheat/insult anyone that plays better than them.

49. Rinox says:

I have a small group of friends and internet friends (less than 10 people) who’ve know each other for 5+ years and are of more or less the same taste and level of jadedness when it comes to games.

We love doing co-op and MP, but only in a select few titles. Like L4D, which is the greatest MP fun we’ve all head in years. The only MMORPG we’d consider getting into, we all agree, is The Old Republic. Other than that we’re can’t really be bothered.

50. Xercies says:

I’m rubbish at online FPS, RTS and the like so I tend to only play them a few times. And as for MMOs I get bored of them easily…

Comment on this story