QuakeCon Rage Footage Revealed

By John Walker on August 14th, 2009 at 12:19 am.

They just want bigger goggles.

You know what? I’m feeling lazy. I’m going to say that id’s Rage is looking like the midway point between Fallout 3 and FUEL. This half-arsed device allows me to indicate that it’s post-apocalyptic, involves shooting creatures in wastegrounds, and racing cars through dust. But it’s also incredibly unhelpful because it leaves behind notions of FO3′s turn-based combat, or FUEL’s mechanical world. It’s Borderlands with driving, okay?! Oh, it doesn’t help, does it? Everyone stop doing it. Instead, take a look at the trailer that’s just emerged from QuakeCon and coo and ooh at how impressive it all looks.

, , .

1. Blast Hardcheese says:

Whoa.

A new id game that doesn’t try to be scary and instead just throws ridiculous monsters at you?

Yes. I will buy this for sure.

2. MaxFrost says:

from what I can tell, it looks what the combat in fallout 3 _should_ have been like. FO3 is still an awesome game, but this one will definitely attract more adrenaline junkies.

3. Richard says:

Ah ha! Something that looks akin to a game emerges…

More ‘effin elfs mutants but, hey, there are sentry guns and er… sentry spiders. Looks like it might even have a story and actually be fun…

John, you have a “half-arsed device”? Hmmm. I’ve got a Renault so I know how you feel…

4. Reverend Speed says:

Watches again.

AGAIN.

5. Sartoris says:

Wow. I am impressed by facial expressions alone, not to mention the rest. And looks like the perfect way to wash out the horrible taste of Fallout 3.

6. Monchberter says:

It’s so depressingly derivative it’s untrue.

Why do all ID games have an inherent ugliness to their characters? If anything, all the mutants just look like upscaled Doom 3 monsters. It’s just so lumpy.

7. teo says:

The last scene was impressive (the facial animation) but the gameplay looks very… consoly

8. hydra9 says:

It’s been a while since I’ve skipped back, rewatched, and paused a trailer so many times. This looks like the most Doom-style game id have since, uh, Doom II! I like it.

9. Radiant says:

I’ve run backwards shooting monsters through too many corridors for me to give a shit about any game that wants me to do it again.

10. Radiant says:

It’s so mundane yet such a highlight of the game it’s in the trailer!

11. argh says:

Theres nothing wrong with Fallout 3. Quit hyping this game like its the next coming. Graphics aren’t everything.

12. LewieP says:

I guess id games do have an outside now.

13. Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

It’s not like I demand completely realistic physics for the driving in a game like this, but this looks like an arcade game.

The rest looks promising though. Pretty impressive level of detail in that scenery in the beginning there.

14. The Colonel says:

“Theres nothing wrong with Fallout 3″
    That’s, like, just your opinion, man. A more accurate opinion would be “Theres nothing good about Fallout 3″.

15. Poet says:

I’m still waiting for a GREAT ID game.

16. The Colonel says:

Loving EA trying to associate themselves with the Anarchy symbol. Next thing it’ll be Eidos with the Debian logo. I agree that this looks very arcadey. It does feel that id exist somewhere “out of the loop” when it comes to gaming. Possibly because they created said loop.

17. Noc says:

Oblivion with Clowns?

18. Tom says:

That looks cool

19. Mahnsikir says:

So this is why Borderlands changed its art style ;)

Teehee

Looks promising though.

20. LewieP says:

@The Colonel

They haven’t really made a game since Doom 3 in 2004. A lot has happened since then I guess.

That said, this does look pretty nifty.

21. Kakksakkamaddafakka says:

It has a giant screaming mutant, though. I mean, that has to count for something.

22. rb_lester says:

Em
    Did anyone else see the doom 3 robot?
    Sentry guns?
    Pinky demon disguised as a mutant?
    This made me a little :s

Environments look impressive though

23. rb_lester says:

Ok i left the page open for a while and there had been no comments at the time.

My bad.
    Clearly the spider bot was THAT obvious.

24. Oak says:

Quit hyping this game like its the next coming.

Who was doing that?

25. boredgamer says:

I see too many old ideas being set in place in this trailer. But I’ll leave the gameplay to be judged when the whole thing is actually released.

The graphical presentation actually looks great, however. Maybe Bethesda can benefit from this and leave Gamebryo behind.

26. Meatloaf says:

I’m not a fan of the mutant design… it looks rather uninspired. Other than that, though, the game looks pretty good. I must keep an eye on this.

27. A-Scale says:

This looks like the best Fallout ever!

Wait. This isn’t Fallout? When will Bethesda be bringing an IP suit against Id?

28. Blather Blob says:

Driving through canyons: It’s like running through a corridor except they’re bigger. And so are you.

29. Shrewsbury says:

Never, dummy. Beth and id are now both owned by the same company.

30. Joseph says:

Wow.

Nothing ‘new’ gameplay wise as far as I can tell but looks like a good fun shooter. And what a trailer!

31. Tei says:

Wow.

I already love these explosions… did the light pass trough the smoke of the explosion? everything looks perfectly well lighted, even the NPC’s. Weapons already feel good. This One Up FPS gamming. Games like Fallout 3 and [insert your favorite game here] now look like trash!.

32. Collic says:

Looks pretty, and since it’s Id it’ll probably be fun as well. It’s nice to see them attempting a change in direction.

The only downside I can see so far is that it’s published by EA so I may actually end up buying one of their games.

Oh well, can’t have everything, I guess.

33. JKjoker says:

hmm, it looks so much like fallout 3 that they might as well rename it fallout 4 and nobody would notice the difference

34. JKjoker says:

when is this supposed to come out anyway ? gamerankings say something about 2011, ugh

35. Thiefsie says:

The combat looks meaty and packing of a hefty physical punch.

Grpahics are nice… very Preyish for obvious reasons I suppose.

Driving looked a bit crap… guns auto aim… hmmm

Shall wait and see on this one I suppose

Re use of things like the spider bot thing is a little sad – obviously id haven’t improved ai in the few years since Doom 3 to have anything new going on.

36. destx says:

“the spider bot thing is a little sad – obviously id haven’t improved ai in the few years since Doom 3 to have anything new going on.”

It’s probably just a placeholder. This game isn’t going to be out for a while.

37. sigma83 says:

I like it! I like the look, I like the sort of creepy feel and I like that, as previously mentioned, id are trying something new. Please be the Fallout game we never could have? (well, okay, the fallout game we never could have so long as your path through it was ‘shoot everything’)

38. Muzman says:

Geez gimmicky shallow focus bugs me. Why stick it on a wide shot of a guy at a desk so his face is in focus but his feet out. As though any real lens works like that (see also Crysis sniper scopes). Yeah, “style” maybe. grumble grumble

Looks cool though. I wonder if any FPS stuff takes place out in the open or if it’s just for driving (I could probably find the answer if I looked but…y’know).

39. Thecolours says:

I can’t believe people are jumping ugly on this game based on one two minute trailer. There are going ot be similarites between new and old games from the same studio. All game studios are guilty of it. Id is no different.

40. Digitalsoap says:

This looks fun. I heartily endorse this event and/or product.

41. Howard says:

That looks freaking awesome! I wan’t actually that excited about Rage before I saw this video by I damned well am now!
    The haters and “id are recycling ideas” gang need to get a grip.
    Also is the voice over guy the same voice over guy from Homeworld?

42. Concept says:

I’m actually pretty excited about this. Time for an upgrade me thinks.

43. diebroken says:

This looks fantastic, and I can’t wait to play it. Sort of reminds me of Redline, you know that driving FPS game, no not Quarantine (which is damn good fun) but Redline, remember? Ah well, I’ll be salivating over this game till it arrives. :P”’

44. Sunjammer says:

Complaints about Fallout 3′s combat = people not knowing wtf Fallout 3 is.

Combat in Fallout is 50% careful aiming at body parts and 50% seeing those body parts get maimed. That is the one charm the system has, and it’s integral to the vibe of the series. Wanting it to be more like a straight FPS is the last thing in the world that would fix it.

Also, Redline was amazing, for some reason. It just worked. Need to dig that out again.

45. Sunjammer says:

Also, yeah, this looks awesome. Unmistakably Id, but awesome :-) I’m actually really happy to see a new big Id IP. When was the last time?

46. espy says:

That

looks

brilliant.

Honestly, what are you people nagging about? It’s got a little spider sidekick you’ve seen in another game? So what? Little spider sidekick is neat! :D

Style and art direction are great, in my opinion, looks really solid and cohesive, atmospheric and plausible.

I’m quite excited.

47. elmuerte says:

holy crap… an id game with a story
    what’s next, a bethesda games with only a few minor bugs?

48. Hallvard says:

If Fallout 3 and Half-Life 2 had a baby, this would be it.

49. Owen says:

As good as it looks, and it does look good, I’m not going to get excited until I’ve at least read a hands-on. Fingers crossed though.