CCP’s Dust 514: PC/Console Overlap In Space

By Jim Rossignol on August 18th, 2009 at 12:17 pm.

EDIT: No platforms are confirmed for this other than “console”, we’ll get more info as soon as possible.

So CCP have revealed just what the mysterious Dust 514 actually is: a console action MMO featuring “first-person shooter and RTS-style gameplay”, set in the Eve Online universe. Disappointing, eh? But there’s an intriguing twist: PC and console games will be able to interact, and the faction warfare map that gets decided in space on the PC, will also decide the map in the console game. There’s more, as Gamasutra reports:

Players in the PC MMO can “fund mercenaries and give them goals” in the console title. CCP’s Petursson hope that “these communities will meld over time”, expecting specific Dust 514 corporations to start with, but eventually social structures that bridge across the two. He quipped of the new game and the relationship between the two titles: “While the fleet does the flying, the infantry does the dying.”

So PC gamers get to be the space-bound commanders of the console foot-soldiers… That isn’t going to help our elitism complex, is it?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Martin Coxall says:

So PC-heads won’t be allowed to play Dust 514? We’ll only be allowed to look down on the consoletards from above, like massive SPACE GODS?

I’m not sure whether I approve of the metaphor, feel slighted, or both.

2. Nutterguy says:

Console only…. balls to that!
    Never though CCP would go that route…

3. Jim Rossignol says:

I don’t think it’s impossible to approve of feeling slighted.

4. Simon Jones says:

Starship Troopers quote ahoy!

5. Tunips says:

This sounds rather like the hypey-talk that surrounded Endwar and the unification of the Clancyverse. Whatever came of that?
    I wonder to what extend interaction will go in the other direction? Will our daring console friends wrest control of sectors by storming space stations, and have that show up in the mmo?

6. Martin Coxall says:

I don’t understand *why* CCP wouldn’t release a PC version.

Perhaps it’s something to do with our superior WASD/Mouse-fu giving us an unfair advantage over twitchy console jeejahs.

7. vasagi says:

um…….

this is wrong, late aprils fool anyone?
    new shooty action mmo and its not on the pc the home of eve

WTF

8. Jim Rossignol says:

To be fair: platforms were not confirmed, just that it would be on console. I don’t think that rules out PC version entirely.

I’m poking CCP for clarification.

9. Basil says:

Never mind that a console pad is better suited to navigate menus and fly ships with analog controls than any kind of precise FPS gameplay. This decision has me baffled.

10. Stupoider says:

D: I am disappoint.

11. Theory says:

I think this is clever. What better way to simulate the imperfect relationship between different arms of the military than trapping one group on PC and the other on consoles?

12. Buceph says:

An image. http://pics.krawall.de/1/krawallbrand_DUST514_WB_CommandPit.jpg

The first thing that strikes me from the image is that they’re all bald. Which means they’re all recent clone jumps. Maybe you can clone jump around systems fairly easily. Setting up HQ strategy areas, CCP have already said that would be one part of Ambulation, why not Dust.

And the second thing that strikes me, which should have been far more obvious to me, is that they’re in space. So for a HQ, which will obviously give you a tactical advantage, you need someone playing Eve to set you up a station orbitting the planet. While I don’t think there’ll be planetary bombardment, fighting over securing a station in space overlooking a planet could be interesting.

And in this second image it looks like they’re building ships in the hangar. What if some new ships are introduced that need to be built on planets. You could survive without them, with just the current ships, but if you want the fancy new ones, you have to support the defence of their construction stations for long enough for the ship to be built. I know it says staging area, but let me hypothesize.

Also, other speculation floating around Eve forums is that at fanfest CCP will announce a combined Eve Online/Dust 514 subscription/pc gaming option. Basically going on the fact that CCP know that PC gamers have been good to them and they wouldn’t abandon us. Would they?

13. Martin Coxall says:

@Theory:

I think it’s clever too. But clever in an infuriating way that makes you want plait somebody round an axle for it.

14. Falwell says:

Endless potential for awesome here….

Blockades, orbital bombardment, troop transports, supply runs, new manufacturing and market opportunities for vehicles / infantry equipment / artillery?

Yeah, this could turn out to be a big, big deal if done well.

15. Tei says:

+1 give orders to console players
    -10 no PC version announced, or PC version not included in the announce
    +5 CCP is moving forward

16. Heliocentric says:

Well. I’d never play an fps with a pad. Other than that i’m open. Both the consoles support mice, make it happen if it must be a console game.

17. Buceph says:

The trailer for the game, and some of Hilmar’s speech. http://www.golem.de/0908/69136.html

18. Jason says:

I actually think this sounds kinda cool. I was thinking the other day about how cool it would be if two disparate genres could interact in the same universe. Like a RTS where your troops are real people so they play a FPS/tank sim.

Although i couldn’t think of anyways that would be fun for both sets of players

19. Howard says:

Unfortunately if it is an FPS and will be on consoles, the only two facts we have, then it will either never be seen on PC or will be some hamstrung abortion like Shadowrun. Elitism aside, PC FPS players simply *cannot* exist in the same game as console FPS players. Sure, both current gen consoles support keyboard and mouse but both Sony and M$ have made it perfectly clear that it will essentially never happen as they hate games that require specific hardware in order to be played.
    Though to swing it another way: an MMO on current gen consoles? How? There is no infrastructure to support them. This is the reason that WoW never shifted across to these platforms. There are no banks of servers lurking behind XBOX live that could support an MMO so I’m damned if I know what CCP are doing here…

20. The Sombrero Kid says:

eurogamer says it’s on pc too, which i choose to believe.

21. vasagi says:

call me old fasioned but the mechanic that allows constant rebirth of your avatar in eve cant apply to foot soldiers

perma death for dust players?

22. Surgeon says:

So essentially, it is EVE connected to an MMOFPS.

It is definitely interesting, but if it is console only, then I’m really disappointed.

23. The Sombrero Kid says:

actually i misunderstood :(

24. Subject 706 says:

I don’t play MMOs, so my interest is not very high, but the idea behind this is interesting, if nothing else.

25. jalf says:

Endless potential for awesome here….

Hell yeah! Carpet-bombing a planet *full* of console players? :p

Nuke them from orbit!

26. Biggles says:

That’s absolutely genius! Just like EVE, I’ll probably never play it, but it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that it will exist : )

27. Surgeon says:

Translated from Bucephs link :

The Icelandic developer CCP Games promises to Dust 514 A cooperative group experience, just as Eve-online players. Elements of a real-time strategy game will also be introduced into the game. However, only for console players. Dust 514, it will not act as a PC version. The concept of Dust 514 makes a statement of special Pétursson: \

28. Buceph says:

perma death for dust players?

The fact that they can respawn from like pod pilots is going to be cleared up in the new book that’s coming out.

Also if you look at the first picture I linked to further up in the page, the orbital station one, you’ll see that most of the people in there are bald. Which is one of the thing Tony Gonsalez mentioned as one of the indicators that a pod pilot has just jumped to a new clone, as the body is fresh and the hair hasn’t had time to grow.

29. schizoslayer says:

I remain to be convinced. My chief complaint watching the video is that it looked too much like Halo. There was a Scorpion Tank, a Warthog, The Halo 1 Assault Rifle and a Pelican Drop ship.

I’ve come to expect more originality from CCP regarding their concept art and it wasn’t present here.

Also if there is no PC version then this is Fail.

30. Nilocy says:

They just had to didn’t they? Widen the gap between PC’ers and them console folks.

But we’ll have to wait and see.

31. Rinox says:

Wow. I was totally expecting a new variation of the eternal CS:S de_dust maps. (don’t look at me that way)

32. Falwell says:

If they make this console only, Eve players have every right to be pissed. It strikes me as the textbook example of biting the hand that feeds you.

33. Matthew Whittingham says:

Amazingly, while playing Sins of a Solar empire the other week, depite the brilliance of the game I felt a little disappointed at the fleet to planet battles. I got thinking of ways to make space/planet warfare interesting and this idea of CCP’s is a rough version of what came to my mind. I guess what i’m trying to say is that the idea at least gets the inner geek (or geek totality even) going.

I worry that the two radically divergent forms of gameplay, will sever the communities and only create animosity at having to be subject to the events of a game you don’t care about. I think success will rely on having interesting modes of communication and interaction between the two games. They need to give you access to, and make you care for, what is happening in the patner game, and also feel like you are mutually affecting one another.

34. Cooper says:

Er… Faction warfare was kind of a good idea, bad execution… The Caldari factions took over all of the Gallente space, and the only effect it had on the game was to break the map…

At no point did it feel like anything that was happening in faction warfare meant anything to anyone else than those who were playing faction warfare…

For a game which rightly prides itself on the central role players have in shaping the game world, that was a bit of a miss…

35. StalinsGhost says:

[Generic post bemoaning the apparent confusion over whether or not it's on PC or not]

36. jRides says:

Lol Rhinox, so was I. :D

37. schizoslayer says:

Thinking about the idea of two different communities made up of two different sets of players (one set having played together for years while the other basically being people you mute on Xbox Live to stop them talking) being forced to cooperate doesn’t sound like something that will work in practice.

As a Dust player I won’t care what is going on in Space because I just want my fix of shooty action. As an Eve player I will be incredibly annoyed if I lose a solar system because the Dust players defending it suck or just didn’t go there to defend it.

I appreciate that these two games could exist as distinct entities but I think it’s hopelessly naive of CCP to believe that the two communities won’t end up resenting each other.

38. Surgeon says:

Looks like it is blatantly not PC.
    Which I find a really weird decision.
    Why wouldn’t you also give PC players what they want?
    Or even just PC and not console.
    Bonkers.

They’re going to have to pull off something spectacular to get console players to care what happens in EVE, and vice versa.

39. roBurky says:

Looks ace to me. It’s pretty much what we already thought they were doing.

I don’t think the game is coming from the position of “Let’s make an MMOFPS. The best way to do that is make it console-only”, but rather “Let’s bring Eve to consoles. The best way to do that is with an MMOFPS.”

40. M.P. says:

Interesting…

The really hard question is, to what a degree will the two universes be integrated? Will an Eve player be able to fly over a planetary conflict and (literally) nuke the soldiers on the ground from orbit? Or will interaction between the two games be limited to just forum or in-game chat, just enough for an Eve corp to be able to hire a Dust clan to do their groundpounding for them.

Also, to what an extent are the theatres of conflict determined by players? If an Eve corp claims a planet – any planet – will another one be able to send in Dust players to take it away? There’s infinite numbers of planets in Eve, will CCP somehow procedurally generate every battlefield a clan chooses to invade? It’s one thing to knock up a random solar system and quite another to create a huge continent to fight over, especially if htye’re gonna look like they did in the trailer.

What if one side in a planeside conflict doesn’t have any players in it (for instance, the corp controlling the planet couldn’t afford to hire soldiers to defend it, or nobody was online when the invasion happened)? Will there be 500 console players just standing around with no-one to shoot?

41. Martin Coxall says:

@roBurky:

That’s fine, but there’s no good reason to not also make a PC version, and at least one very good reason not to.

I will not play FPSs on a console. I hate it. I am an EVE subscriber, and being denied access to this will leave a *very* bad taste in my mouth.

42. groovychainsaw says:

Maybe CCP are worried about cannibalising their ‘flyers’ if they released it on a PC?? ie. They release on PC, everyone switches to shooting each other in the face (and in the game) and they are left with floating bits of junk in space. Admittedly, thats an extreme example, but its possible. We all know that shooting things in the first person is popular…

43. StalinsGhost says:

That might be a slight issue, but given the immense commitment a lot of players seem to have the game, I can imagine it would be more like EVE players stick in space the majority of the time, then Alt-Tab into Dust when expedient to do so :D

44. Eben says:

Well this is interesting, i hope they’re not moving the regional control mechanics away from Eve players, that would be gash

45. pzykozis says:

Sounds like a brilliant idea, but I’ll not even touching this with a bargepole.

You’ll nay catch me on the box or the ps3 to play a shooter online, such a shame that it seems they’re forsaking the pc market. Truthfully i’m not at all an EVE player but still the general idea behind this would make it appealing sans console only.

46. arqueturus says:

CAPSULEERS BOMBARD FROM ORBIT!

INFANTRY CASUALTIES ESTIMATED AT OVER 100,000!

Would you like to know more?

47. Surgeon says:

except that will be… EVE players stick in space the majority of the time, then run downstairs, turn on their console and log into Dust when expedient to do so ;)

48. teo says:

I dooooooooooooon’t want console gamers in EVE

ffs
    don’t do something stupid CCP

49. Tei says:

I am currently playing eRepublik, Is a web game where you play as a citizen. You can work for a salary, train, buy food, and stuff. Is much like a ….Sims… game with only two buttons. The deep of this game is giganteous, there are real partys, wars, world wars, alliances, betrayals, … there are thiefs much like in EVE, there are giganteous errors ( Spain lost all his threasure by a governement error). It has something of this. If you hare a civilian, you just feed, train, maybe fight a bit,… like most webgames, but If you are president, you have the future of your country, and the world, in your hands.

The bad news, is that I doubt Dust 514 will be anything like that. Even If CCP is doing it, It will be some token features. Keyword here is: meaningless. If the Caldari take a Gallente stations… will this change something?

50. Bobsy says:

I REALLY like the idea of symbiotic games of different genres. It’s something I’ve wanted for… oh, forever. I used to daydream about a web-based metagame of galactic conquest that generated missions for Jedi Knight and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter.