Time Is Collapsing: Singularity Trailer

By John Walker on August 19th, 2009 at 10:57 pm.

Someone stole his flesh and skin and stuff!

GamesCom (it’s apparently spelt “gamescom” but I just refuse) reveals a new trailer for Raven’s Singularity, which shows a good deal more in-game footage than we’ve seen so far. I know there’s cynicism, but I remain very interested in this. I know there has to be a shooter that gets time manipulation correct one day, and it looks lots of explosive fun. So there. Have a look at the new content below.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Zyrxil says:

Didn’t realize this was by Raven. That’s -25% to the chances of this game being anything memorable.

2. EvilMonk3y says:

Well this has my slightly interested…It looks like the mutant love child of Bioshock and Fear 2.

Also any game with real footage of marching Russians surely can’t be bad.

3. Heliosicle says:

Looks quite fun

I want to see a game properly do Timetravel, making it dynamic and fluid :/

4. pauleyc says:

Maybe not really memorable but hopefully solid, good fun. And I even like this mysterious viral marketing campaign they started a few months ago.

5. Jon says:

Zyrxil nailed it, unfortunately.

6. Vinraith says:

There may be some potential here, my fingers are crossed.

7. A-Scale says:

Communism? Alternate history? Time manipulation? I’M THERE.

8. Gotem says:

I Love the PowerGlove

9. Nighthood says:

I LIKED TIMESHIFT. Who’s with me?

Also, Singularity looks good, and Raven are awesome, they made Soldier of Fortune, the first PC game I ever played, at the age of 7. Full gore, natch.

10. The Poisoned Sponge says:

Woah, was that bullet controlled mid-flight? It certainly looked like it was adjusting as it went. Colour me interested, if it means manually curving bullets around cover. That’ll show those bastards for trying to be smart. CAN’T OUTSMART BULLET!

11. Howard says:

@Nighthood
    Yeah, gotta agree, Timeshift was a solid if derivative game. Good fun.

12. Mal says:

The Jedi Knight games were memorable. And wonderful.

13. Oak says:

Having watched that, I think I understand the troubling confusion our grandparents must have felt upon seeing us play video games for the first time. What the hell was going on?

Idea: A gun that shoots bullets into the past. You fire at an enemy, he disappears, and a corpse pops up in the place he’d occupied ten seconds ago. Also all the health he caused you to lose is given back. Don’t think about it for too long.

Idea #2: With quicksave/quickload, you can easily travel into the game’s past and create an alternate reality(!!!). Therefore, all games with this feature are time-travel games. Did I just blow your mind?

14. Vandelay says:

FEAR got time manipulation down pretty well. Nothing beats hearing a marine yell “SHIT!” in slow motion.

And I agree with Mal, although Dark Forces 2:Jedi Knight was the best (the one not made by Raven.)

15. Caiman says:

MILLIONS WILL DIE! PERHAPS MORE!!!

(great scriptwriting guys, keep it up)

16. hydra9 says:

@Caiman:
    That one made my eyes pop a little too.

17. abhishek says:

Nothing new or interesting. Raven should get a copyright on that phrase.

18. Tom says:

Not doing much for me.
    Anyone else feel FPS’s are starting to just get a bit… old?
    I’m leaving Half Life out of that statement because it has a memorable story amongst many other likeable things. Every other FPS’s story just seams to be an excuse for it’s gimmicks. This appears to be following that trend.

19. Nimdok says:

Today’s time manipulation experience will be narrated by Steve Blum affecting a heavy faux-Russian accent. Please be calm; the bile is natural. Do not be alarmed.

20. Persus-9 says:

@ Heliosicle: I want to see a game properly do Timetravel, making it rigid and unchanging!

I’m inclinded towards four dimentionalism see, I don’t believe you can go back in time and shoot your grandfather before your father was born, I think if you got a time machine and tried then you’d fail because you clearly did. That might sound no fun as a computer game but given that computer games only ever give us pseudo-control of our actions I think it could come out really well and you can still get causal loops, just no “changing” the future and no paradoxes.

This just looks like dumb fun to me. Killing people with time? That’s very very silly but sure, why not.

21. Flint says:

Tom:
    I feel the same way, which is rather annoying considering FPS has long been one of my favourite genres. Too much focus on the gimmicks that they try to stand out of the crowd with while still playing out in similar dark and gritty pseudo-futuristic dystopias that everything else is.

This is especially a bit annoying with this considering that Raven used to be one of the FPS studios that really stood out from the others because of their fantasy-oriented shooters, ie Hexens/Heretic (and if we bend the laws of reality a bit, Heretic 2 which wasn’t a FPS but still very brilliant). And as a side-note, it’s really rather terrible how the nearest example to a good fantasy-themed FPS has to be digged out all the way from 1997.

I’m willing to give Raven a chance anyway, unlike everyone else I actually found Quake 4 enjoyable (even if its graphical design spat on the eternal dusk and techno-temples of Q2 and replaced it with generic blood and gore hallways with no lights) so I’ll be willing to give this a go. Hopefully there’s a demo.

22. Simon Jones says:

Looking rather intriguing until the combat started, at which point it looked like a confusing mash. Also rather a shame that there are random mutants/orcs in it – a political action thriller taking in post-Soviet Russia and the Lenin and Stalin eras via time manipulation would be great (which is where it seemed to be going in the first 3rd of the trailer).

23. Simon Jones says:

(damn the lack of edit)

In fact, this could have been the FPS equivalent of Jigsaw, a rather great text adventure from the 90s in which you jumped through time to slyly affect major historical events.

24. jon_hill987 says:

Raven have made some very good shooters but also a few meh ones, not sure where this will fit in as these trailers can make almost any game look good.

25. l1ddl3monkey says:

Fingers crossed that Raven will make this primarily a shooter (because they make, normally, very good shooters in terms of the actual shooting/avoiding getting shot bits) and not overcook the time travel mechanic too badly.

26. Levictus says:

I kept laughing throughout the during of the trailer, maybe this game will actually be good because it is so ridiculous.

27. dan says:

@John: “..that gets time manipulation correct one day…”

By matching the layman’s long held understanding of how time manipulation is achieved, and its many and well-documented effects?

(End sarcasm.)

28. JB says:

@ The Poisoned Sponge:

Yeah, looks like the bullet was controlled inflight. Later there’s a rocket that is grabbed out of the air and shot off in a different direction, and towards the end the player shoots a bullet straight through an enemy bullet flying at him and into the enemy. Sneaky.

29. Heliosicle says:

I wouldn’t want to kill people with time Persus.

I was thinking, what about a game with the watch from…what was it? Some kid gets given a watch by his grandpa that stops time. I was a kids tv program in the 90′s, hrmph

30. Azhrarn says:

@The Poisoned Sponge:

from what I’ve read so far you’ll get a pistol that has bullets with the same stuff that powers your time-glove. You can control their flight directly with your TMD, so yes that was a first-person piloted round there. :)

31. CMaster says:

@Heliosicle
    Bernard’s Watch

32. Jon says:

@Heliosicle:

BERNARD’S WATCH BABY

33. Jon says:

DAMN YOU CMASTER

34. Azhrarn says:

Personally the stuff I like best is the aging/reverse aging effect you can do, both to structures, and to people. The guy bursting into flames and ash was an example of that, entropy at it’s most brutal.
    Turn them to dust by aging them to death in an instant.

Or reverse age them, but that won’t create a child (that would be condemned by most rating agencies), it’ll create a creature called a “revert” that’ll kill anything near it in a frenzy. (so usually you’ll need to gun them down as they come for you, but it’s fun to do near other enemies.)

Plenty of “physics” puzzles about too that’ll use your TMD to either repair or destroy stuff to go forward (or to pull of interesting kills)

35. Dracko says:

Tom: Stop playing shitty FPS. That’s your problem right there.

36. Dracko says:

Mal: Raven didn’t make Jedi Knight, so I don’t know how that’s relevant, no matter how great a game it was.

37. Sacred_flame101 says:

I cant wait for this game it looks like it will be a great game

38. DMJ says:

MILLIONS WILL DIE! PERHAPS MORE! MAYBE LESS! BUT PROBABLY NOT LESS!

39. Joseph says:

Really guys, this will be unimaginative because the first game raven ever made was quake 4, and it’s not like they have a history of creating fantastic shooters or anything.

Soldier of fortune, Jedi Knight 2, the awesome if shallow Xmen/Marvel brawlpg games don’t ring any bells?