Razer’s Glowing Thumbpad Of Mystery

By Jim Rossignol on August 20th, 2009 at 10:35 am.

Readers with memories will be able to recall that I was on a quest for a new mouse the other week, and that led me back to Razer, and the Diamondback. Basically, my old mouse (the Krait) but with thumb-buttons. Irritatingly, it has proven slightly too sensitive, I think the switches on the mouse buttons are a little too easily activated. But no matter, because at least I didn’t spend a huge amount on Razer’s latest monstrosity: the Naga. A seventeen button “MMO” mouse. No, really. If you need another keyboard for your thumb then this is where you need to go: that’s twelve thumb buttons. By my calculations that’s enough buttons to type out “LOL U R PWN3D N00B” with your opposable digit, which should come in handy in times of great omg.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mike says:

Coincidentally, “Times Of Great Omg” is the title of the new WoW expansion.

2. Orta says:

I immediately jumped on ebay to see if I could find this mouse, alas it was released a few hours ago. It looks like a good mouse for the obsessive GTD crew. Hope it works on the Mac.

3. Mr Pink says:

That is just ridiculous.

Good choice on the Diamondback, I love mine. It’s so light and smooth that I think it’s the closest thing to having no mouse at all, if that makes any sense (it possibly doesn’t).

4. Heliosicle says:

isnt that just the lachesis body with some bits stuck on?
    you would have to be dumb to buy one..

theres a little application that allows you to change the DPI mr rossignol anyway, its the razer symbol in the taskbar, or is that just for the lachesis? i had my diamond back a few years ago and can’t remember

5. Malagate says:

I bought a mouse once. It cost less than £15, has extra buttons that I can never be bothered to use, is lasery and still lets me be quite successful at the shooty type games.

I once tried a friend of mine’s Razer mouse, whilst the pulsing blue “heartbeat” was a tiny bit disconcerting I found the sensitivity to be way too distracting. I’m not sure I’d ever need to make three 360 turns in under a second by moving the mouse 3″ to the right, unless I had a very limited area in which to put my mouse.
    I sort of see an excess of extra mouse buttons as more of a case of being used to play games that require you to have a hand free for something else…

…but I would get a cup-holdy hat for that.

6. Kismet says:

I’ll wait for the revision with T9 support. So imba!

7. Azhrarn says:

@Malagate:

mine was a bit more expensive than that, but I see what you mean. That MMO mouse is almost silly.
    I have a first generation G5, which has 1 thumb-button and a scroll-wheel. It also has adjustable DPI, although I don’t think it’s ever been past 800 DPI (the default setting), I do tend to switch it to 400 for sniping, as the greater precision is lovely in long range pixel-sniper fights. =)

8. rei says:

I don’t know how I ever managed to use a computer before I got my MX518 with its lovely extra buttons, although it seems like anything more than two thumb-buttons would get a bit crowded.

9. Schaulustiger says:

@Malagate: It purely depends on the sensitivity you feel comfortable with. I know a bunch of guys who can only play successfully with an ultra-high sens. Normal mice (as the one you bought) have difficulties being accurate at those low levels of mouse movement.

10. pzykozis says:

Wow… just wow at that naga, someone had to go overboard.

Coincidentally my old microsoft mouse gave up the ghost only yesterday which was rather funny during my game of TF2 when the left mouse button stops working.. hopefully my roccat kone will please me in that warm fuzzy way..

11. Finn says:

Silly N00bignol. You can macro and assign a command to just one button and then spam “OMG YOUS GUYZ ARE RETARDS LULZ, L2P!!1!” ;)

12. Malagate says:

@Azhrarn, I’d never even thought of DPI in a mouse until you mentioned it, I’d just use software for sensitivity changes. I should have known there would be mice enthusiasts, just as there are audiophiles and motor heads.

All these specs on the Razer meeces seem bizarre to me, like 200″ per second tracking. 200″ per second tracking? So it can track you if you’re moving the mouse at 5 m/s? Who the hell is moving their mouse that fast, especially as this is an MMO mouse? It’d be like getting a Lotus Elise for picking up milk at the corner shop at the end of your road.

13. Carra says:

I’ve been using my Logitech mx518 for years now. And I love the two extra thumb buttons. Easy to browse the internet: next/previous.

And it’s great for gaming. Two extra buttons to assign things to. That might be jumping or aiming in a shooter. Or, assign shift/control to them. That allows me to easily use the shift+numpad buttons (I play with the numpad). It’s an easy way to go from the 12 buttons on my numpad to 36 buttons. Which is more then enough to play WoW…

Two extra thumb buttons are great. And maybe one or two more buttons could be put into good use. More however, I’m not sure. I don know that I hate to be without my two thumb buttons.

14. Novotny says:

I bought one of those too then gave it away, as I tried to warn you, Mr Rossignol, in the original mousey thread!

You should try an MX518, as approximately 98% of those polled suggested :)

15. Bongo says:

My only question is, where do you put your thumb?

16. Tworak says:

it glows means it’s really awesome

17. WimpoD says:

I have the Microsoft Intellimouse from over 4-5 years ago. It is THE best mouse I’ve ever owned, five buttons is all I need. 15 squid or less, bargain. Excessive overkill with the Naga methinks.

18. Persus-9 says:

The idea of this makes sense, from my experience of WoW and it’s clones one heck of a lot of time is spent pressing the numbers keys in sequence and moving that over to the mouse would be quite good but in my experience my thumb doesn’t like moving forward and backwards on the side of the mouse so I suspect only three or six those 12 thumb buttons would be comfortable to use.

19. Cooper says:

I’ve got the next step down on the glowing blue mouse ladder, a Razer DeathAdder (seriously, what’s with these names?)

The side buttons are in a slightly different position (I actually find them quite hard to press with my thumb, so I save them for odd actions such as grenades. Which means, as I rarely use them, I often forget that I have grenades…) But I find it an excellent mouse. The sensitivity needs whakcing right down, but that’s easy enough to do.

20. Uglycat says:

This would be great for TF2 spies.

21. Freudian Trip says:

I’m an extra mouse button hater. Sometimes I grip the mouse slightly too hard and suddenly I’m throwing a grenade at my feet.

22. The Sombrero Kid says:

remember and drop the windows mouse sensitivity in the razer control panel to 7, this’ll give you a regular speed mouse pointer with the higher resolution.

23. mbp says:

I used to love Microsoft mice until they decided to do away with the clicky scroll wheel. Clicky scroll wheel is essential for changing weapons in a shooter. I am pretty hapy with my current logitech 5 button (MX600 I think) but I wish it was lighter. The batteries (its a wireless mouse) add way too much wieght.

24. bobince says:

Freudian: me too. I’m sticking with two mouse buttons and a middle buttonwheel, please. I don’t need any more little buttons to accidentally press. If I need more actions, I’ve got 105 perfectly good keys on my left hand for that.

For desktop use, I *would* like to be able to have a mouse that had both a trackball on top for scrolling pages smoothly on both axes (the current ‘leanable’ scrollwheels are far too clunky), and ideally a separate scrollwheel for zoom, but for annoying reasons to do with how mice work under Windows, I suspect such a beast is unlikely to happen.

25. bill says:

I have a simple 5 button mouse, and i must admit i NEVER use the extra 2 buttons. 99% of the time i forget they are even there, and the 1% of the time i do remember, i don’t know what functions they are configured to in that particular software.

The tilt wheel sounded like a good idea, but i gotta say that i’ve never ever needed to use it, horizontal scrolling just isn’t often needed.

26. MacBeth says:

Good uses for thumb buttons:

Call for Medic in TF2
    Previous disguise button for Spies in TF2
    Push-to-talk voice comms
    Ummm…
    That’s all i got.

27. Heliocentric says:

Don’t need clicky mouse wheel because i assign “scroll up” and “scroll down” to specific functions. I have an mx1000 and if half extra buttons fell off i would miss them. Set them to rts hotkeys, or badly placed and un-reassignable keys in games. Or just to have all of your kit available in one click in a game like battlefield 2.

Assigning the buttons to spells in games like sacrifice and guild wars was a big help too.

28. Dave says:

5 buttons are pretty much essential for me; I need them for primary/secondary weapons in games and for back/forward when browsing.

More than that is overkill… I’d be embarassed to own something like the Naga.

29. Caiman says:

Good god, I used a Razer Salmosa recently and it was friggin’ terrible. I’m not sure if it was faulty or something, but every time I pressed the left or right mouse button it would cause the mouse laser to move imperceptibly and shift the cursor upwards by about 5 pixels. I tried it on a variety of surfaces and it was the same more or less.

I’m sure it must have been faulty, but even so I just didn’t like the feel of it. I prefer the Logitech MX mice, although right now I’m using a multicoloured glowing Labtec thing which isn’t exactly precise but it is pretty and the cord winds away neatly. So vain.

30. radomaj says:

I previously had a mouse with 5 buttons and I loved it. I also like the Naga (although I don’t have enough money to be spending upwards of 60$ on a mouse). I had the same idea as UglyCat the other day and I could think of plenty of uses outside of an MMO, that can’t be quite replaced using the number pad.

31. anon says:

the correct answer is mx518

32. mister_d says:

Razer mice aren’t very durable. I’ve had two Diamondbacks and a Microsoft Habu (Razer built, MS branded) and they all died after about a years worth of use.

33. Malibu Stacey says:

Good uses for thumb buttons:

Push-to-talk voice comms

This.
    Only thing I ever use mine for & it’s got 2 (Intellimouse 4) so when I’m on Ventrilo I switch the ingame to the 2nd thumb button but most of the time only the lower one gets any use.

34. Psychopomp says:

@Bongo

“My only question is, where do you put your thumb?”

God damnit, internet, ruining my brain like that.

35. St4ud3 says:

Never really liked the Diamondback. Mine died on me after doing one year of mediocre service. Now I have a G9 and if that monster broke I would go to the store tomorrow and buy a new one. The G9 is just that great :]

36. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I’m still stuck with Logitech MX310, for like 4 years now…no reason to switch, apart from being a bit dirty…

37. Novotny says:

You know, the more I’ve thought about this – and I’m definitely being influenced by other posters: I’m going to go buy another mx518 for back up.

Every now and then, an utter classic is built. Apparently, the MS Sidewinder joystick, now discontinued, is the height of medium-cost joysticking. As a lefty, it’s useless to me, but then I have the T16000 from Thrustmaster, which is the utter dog’s bollocks for IL2 imo. I say this as a previous owner of two Cyborgs.

If you ever scan flight sim communities, you’ll find a very healthy market for these old, but classic joysticks.

I fully expect the same to occur with mx518s should they ever cease manufacturing.

Buy them now, you fools!

38. Ken says:

have an mx400 and it is ‘ok’ i can see the need for a higher dpi mouse in fps games. still trying to decide which one, lots of negative feedback for razer on here. its between the g5/mx518/deathadder.

39. Azhrarn says:

@Ken:

the real-time switching for the G5 is very nice, defaults are 400, 800 and 2000 DPI, 2 small buttons behind the mouse-wheel. 400 DPI is great for long range sniping, 2000 is nuts for quick twitch turn and 800 is a great all-round mode.

You can also program the buttons with the software for the mouse, although it doesn’t have many additional ones. (the single thumb button and the 2 behind the wheel, the wheel itself tilts though, giving 2 more programmable axis)

Comment on this story