Pimp My Ride: GearGrinder

By Jim Rossignol on August 21st, 2009 at 9:06 am.

Truth be told, GearGrinder from Headup Games looks a bit rubbish. That said, we’d be remiss not to report on a game which features transforming jet-propelled trucks armed with flamethrowers, missiles, and anti-aircraft cannons. Yes, it’s one of those driving-with-guns games, only this time more ludicrous that previous variations on that idea. It’s probably not going to be any good, and we’re probably not going to care… It’s best if you go look at the trailer, and see what I mean. (And today might be a bit heavy on the trailers, as GamesCom is in full swing, and a load of PC stuff is spilling out.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Maniac11919 says:

Impressive… err.. -ly bad, that is… I had to laugh that this was even a trailer. It looks like a poorly made sourcemod with worse graphics…

2. MacBeth says:

Not bad… for about 2003

3. Nighthood says:

Was it just me that saw the HL2 chopper. It looked the same and was dropping the same round bombs. :/

4. Xercies says:

Wow…Thats bad..

5. Hi!! says:

Having said that, both Greed and Twin Sector looks interesting.

6. Jon says:

Personally, I think this almost looks like a B-game. Tired concept, yes, but if done right it could still be fun for an hour or two.
    Anybody else get reminded of rollcage?

7. Howard says:

@Jon
    It was the music that reminded me of Rollcage, but Rollcage was a good game so…
    This looks pretty bloody awful. I do wonder if those pauses every time something crashed were deliberate or was that their shitty engine failing to handle physics correctly.

Also, Half Life 2 called: it wants its chopper back…

8. hydra9 says:

My dearest RPS,
    You already wrote about this game when it was known as Sledgehammer, and you (well, Alec) were a lot more positive about it back then.

Personally, I’m really excited. This is from Targem, who developed the very enjoyable Elite-on-wheels style Hard Truck: Apocalypse games, as well as the Carmageddon-like Clutch (recently released on Steam). I think their games are a lot of fun and will certainly be purchasing this one! As with most of their games, it looks like a lot of enjoyment will come from upgrading your rig with ever more destructive weapons and cruising around a nicely created gameworld.

9. hydra9 says:

(Admittedly, the old trailer was better.)

10. Kanakotka says:

What the hell are the first few people to comment talking about? Since when has graphic been a defining factor of how good a game is? Since when has originality of graphic design been a factor of a how good a game is?

Stop being so bloody elitist. The game looks a bit unpolished and rough at the edges, i admit, but not every game needs excessive bloom and other post processing. It might still be bloody fun, even as unpolished thing.

11. Stew says:

I was wondering when we’d hear more of Sledgehammer.

12. Down Rodeo says:

I thought HL2 as well but that was more for the noise the box made when it hit the ground. To me, it sounded exactly like smacking something made of concrete with the crowbar.

13. Javaguy says:

I wasn’t looking particularly impressed until I saw someone exploding a truck with an R/C car and was transported back to GTA 1.

14. jon_hill987 says:

I think I would rather play the motorbike sections in Tomb Raider: Legend again than play that.

15. MacBeth says:

The graphics were only partly the issue. The concept, the level designs, the overall ‘feel’ – they all look like a game that I would have thought would be cool maybe 6 years ago. Race-around-tracks-and-blow-up-your-competitors has been done many times in the intervening period (and before, for that matter, 2003 might be being quite favourable towards this game), and done very well. Physics and graphics are really the major areas for improvement in that sort of game (plot, characterisation, AI etc. being pretty redundant) so a game that shows no sign of great quality in those areas isn’t going pique my interest.

If being entirely unimpressed with something that’s clearly behind the times is being elitist, then I will continue to be so. Hell, I had fun with Big Red Racing back in the day, but I wouldn’t suggest it looked interesting now…

16. Kanakotka says:

Simply stating (in a nutshell) ”it isn’t fashionable” is even more flawed statement, i think i don’t need to elaborate.

17. LionsPhil says:

Woo, Sledgehammer is back.

Boo, the physics look…bad. It doesn’t look like another 1NSANE or Flatout, alas, and the odd tiny rocket counts for naught if the driving doesn’t feel right.

18. MacBeth says:

‘Fashionable’? That’s not what I said in a nutshell or otherwise. It would imply that more realistic physics, higher-quality environments and better-looking graphics are a fad that will at some point pass and be replaced by something else. Not a chance…

It’s nothing to do with fashion… the concept of the game is essentially timeless. It’s the execution that is just not (judging from the video) at currently established levels of quality…

Yes, it might turn out to have that just-good-fun factor, but I’m not holding my breath. I stand entirely by my initial assessment that this would have looked impressive some years ago, but in today’s gaming world it doesn’t. Don’t see how you can possibly argue with that…

19. Kanakotka says:

Well true, it’s not mindblowingly impressive, but the first impression i got from your (and few other’s) comment was blatant badmouthing without any experience on the game whatsoever.

On that notion, no matter how awesome new games may look, even big titles, many of them can’t hold a candle to the simple fun of flash games.

20. Wulf says:

@Kanakotka

Well said.

The PC used to be the main graphical powerhouse of gaming, that mantle of mainstream graphics wowblaggery has been handed over to the consoles, but there are still hangers-on.

I’m actually glad this has happened though because it means we get to see far more exciting titles now that a large portion of the mainstream has migrated over to the consoles, titles that won’t look as good but titles that are very probably going to be loads of fun.

You’ll still get the whiners who remember when PC gaming was the mainstay of the mainstream, but I hope at least the majority are catching on to what the PC is becoming. And what it is becoming excites me, because it reminds me of the early era of home computing, wherein you have small, independent developers doing truly marvellous things.

I never thought I’d see those days again, but it’s funny how things tend to come full circle, and bloody marvellous too. The likes of Mr. Robot were the early hints it was happening, and now it’s in full-swing.

So before judging this game by a mainstream criteria, I’ll wait and see how it plays, first. No elitism here!

21. Wulf says:

Oh, I almost forgot!

RE – ZOMG, HL2’s helicopter!

What?

That looks nothing like the helicopter in Half-life 2! HL2’s helicopter was a techno-organic thing, that just looked like a standard military helicopter.

The Combine helicopter: http://tinyurl.com/mpsoyf

And does anyone really believe that HL2 was the first game that had a helicopter dropping bombs on a vehicle-driving player? :/

22. Berzee says:

It is difficult to tell from this trailer whether it will be fun or not…the way the cars move and such remind me of Midtown Madness, why is that?

I don’t much play any driving games, so who can say? (Semi Trucks seem clunky, anyhoo)…

I wasn’t driven to instant disgust like lots of people seem to be.

23. Javier-de-Ass says:

Nice. Been waiting for an international release of Sledgehammer. The game is ok, but it’s kind of weird that Armageddon Riders aka Clutch made it out before it.. considering Clutch is the latest Targem racer. and the better one at that. Check out Clutch on steam!

24. Valentin Galea says:

Worth alone for the “Only on PC” tag!