Piracy Statistics: East India Company: Privateer

By Kieron Gillen on August 21st, 2009 at 8:51 am.

This had us worried. The press release announcing the first add on pack for the recent East India Company described it had a chilling trailer. We were expecting footage of our mothers, held at knife-point as a naked Quinns crept ever closer, a knife between his teeth and dressed as one of the characters from Pathologic. Except it’s not. Thankfully. Anyway, the expansion pack brings Privateers to the world of trade, including a couple of campaigns and a load of appropriate skills, like “false colours” which makes you fly the wrong flag. The dirty cads. Anyway, you’ll find the chilling trailer below.

Ooh, I’m pretty bloody chilled now.

, .

1. pepper says:

Yarrr to that! the FSM approves!

2. StalinsGhost says:

A shame the game itself is major pants.

Or maybe then intend on making people pay further for something fun?

3. Tyndareus says:

I’m shaking in my boots.

4. Dr.Danger says:

Had such high expectations of the game and it turned out to be dumbed down mix of ETW and Colonization. Was bored to death despite several brave attempts to embrace it. Doesn’t look like the Pirate add-on will change anything.

5. Dr.Danger says:

P.S. My brain hurts from listening to the same tune over and over again and now they stuck it in this trailer. Aaaaaaaah!

6. abhishek says:

Didn’t this game release just 2 weeks ago or something? What’s with this new trend of announcing expansions so early in a game’s life? First ARMA 2 and now this…

7. The Hammer says:

Hmm. Is this more or less chilling than the Napolean: Total War trailer? FIGHT

8. demonarm says:

“[...] footage of our mothers, held at knife-point as a naked [...]”

Well, if that’s what turns you on…

9. Down Rodeo says:

“held at knife-point … a knife between his teeth”
    “as a naked Quinns crept … dressed”

The contradictions make it sound like an actual dream!

10. Kanakotka says:

Well, the game entertained me for less than 30 minutes. It was a badly done King of the seas/Pirates!/Merten Valtias/Patrician clone with sea battles nicked from Pirates of the caribbean/Sea Dogs/Empire: Total War and made boring.

I sure am glad i chose to pirate it first. Otherwise it had yet been another game i had spent my money on and couldn’t get a refund simply because of it’s poor quality.

11. Oak says:

It’s hard not to be cynical about this. It was a shallow, disappointing game, but there’s still great potential in it. What it needs is a big Paradoxian expansion-patch that realizes that potential, not a slow trickle of ostensibly pre-planned DLC.

12. Pod says:

I just lpayed the demo of this game and it’s terrible. The time dialiation didn’t work so I had to watch as my boats slowly creaked towards the other boats. Also: firing the cannons in the FPS mode is a nightmare.

13. Andy says:

This DLC wasn’t released after EIC, it was released with it.
    You could get it for free if you preorded EIC from steam.

I was like “WTF? Why not just include the bloody gamemode in the game to start with instead of being a bunch of money grubbing arse holes”

14. Vagabond says:

Here’s my review of the game.

15. Mad Doc MacRae says:

Privateers probably wouldn’t be so wasteful as to chuck everything overboard and burn down an enemy ship. They were out to make money after all.