Brainwaves From Beta: Champions Online

By Phill Cameron on August 24th, 2009 at 12:06 pm.

The Champions Online beta has been in full swing for a while now, and the current phase is a beta for pre-order folks and Fileplanet subscribers. Here are a few thoughts on the game as it stands in the weeks before release.

They stole the soul out of the rocket boots.

It doesn’t make sense. They were the one travel power I was having fun with, where there was actually an element of interaction beyond just activating the bloody things, and they just took out what made them fun and put them back on the shelf, lobotomised and drooling, to be the same as the rest. Thing is, this is a Superhero MMO. Some superheroes fly, some run really fast, some just use a really beefed up car; some are better than others. So when you make everything the same, you lose a little bit of what makes superheroes fun and unique.

Before, you’d turn the boots on, getting a low hover state. Juice them a bit more and the orange flames would become hotter, the colour slipping through orange to white to blue. You’d go from sliding around to rocketing, arms tucked at your sides as you became a living comet, complete with smoking trail. Power them a bit more and you’d eke out the last few drops of speed, bursting through the sound barrier, blistering heat on the soles of your shoes. A little more and they’d smoke. Nature’s warning sign, white and billowing from your feet. A few seconds more and they short, all propulsion lost as you plummet to the ground. It was the thrill-seekers transport of choice; treading that fine line between super speed and, well, death.

Now you just turn them on and that’s that; we have lift off. Just not, you know, any way but literal.

I tell you this to create full disclosure; Champions is fun. It’s fun in a ‘oh, that’s quite cool’ way, that moves along being just enough above mediocre, introducing just enough cool new ideas that enough people are probably going to sit up and notice for it to keep going. It’s not fun in a way where I come away knowing this is the next big step forward, innovation leaking out of its pores. It’s full of clever little ideas that make it a little more fun, make your character feel a little more like you own it. The problem is that they’re safe ideas. You can customise your character aesthetically to your heart’s content, creating anything from freaky vulture-clown to armoured psychic warrior. It’s City of Heroes character creator gone wild, dosed up on steroids so it can do things normal character creators can’t; there’s so much choice, and room for customisation, that only the things APB is doing look set to approach it.

Customising powers is mostly visual, too. You can set origin point (from four options; fist, palm, chest and head), and colour, but the idea of inventing powers seems to have remained in Cryptic’s imagination. The most you can alter your powers is in the ranks and advantages, where you can give them special qualities, like adding bleed damage to a slash attack, or turning your shadow form into a Terrifying Visage, forcing anyone in range to empty their bladders. It’s likely that the fact that all of this is an unprecedented amount of creative freedom in the MMO space, and RPG space in general, might slip under the radar because it’s not quite what we were expecting; a few levels lower than what we were promised tends to blind us from what’s really there.

It seems Champions is a set of compromises to keep the game focused and entertaining. The near limitless customisability has been reigned in, and while it still presents a startling amount of options, the promises we were given a year ago still ring in the ears. It’s a Molyneuxesque nightmare, where the product is of a high quality, just not to quite the high quality it was promised all that time ago. Similar concessions have been made; the nemesis system, previously intended to be something you created at the same time as your hero at level 1, now comes in at level 25. It’s something that makes sense, giving you time to sort yourself out before taking on, essentially, a whole other character to create and flesh out, even if it’s not you playing him, but it’s not exactly what we were told we were going to get.

While this is making it seem as though I’m both disappointed and unsatisfied with the game, there’s a lot to like, and the fact I’m still playing it after six months of beta is testament to that. The customisability that is there is excellent, leagues beyond any current MMO, and the combat has actually taken a step forward in interaction, making it play much more like an action/rpg hybrid than the usual button tapping found in MMOs. You block, and move about, and manage the constant ebb and flow of energy (read: mana/rage/endurance/etc), and it sucks you in enough that it removes some of the grind. And the relatively slow nature you pick up powers really gives you a chance to fully understand the application of the one’s you’ve already received, while at the same time allowing for a much more thought to be placed in which power you’re going to get next, to compliment what you’re already fighting with.

The other huge step, that almost goes unnoticed, is how quick the game is to reward and congratulate you. Where, in CoH, you had to do a set of quests to unlock the cloak, it’s presented (sensibly) with the rest of the options at creation. After you play through the first 5 levels of the tutorial you’re given a pat on the back and then, suddenly, miraculously, you’ve got a new power, a new superstat, a new rank, and most of all, a travel power; the thing that was the death of a good many of my CoH characters. I’d level them up to 14, pick a travel power to mess around and try it out, then start a new character to try out a different one.

That, too, has disappeared, with the advent of the Power House, an instanced zone that allows you to pick new powers and abilities, and then, wonderfully, /try them out/ before coming to a final decision. This allows you to give each travel power a try, and every time you get a power, you can give it a whirl to see if you like the effects and look of it. It makes so much sense it’s a wonder it’s not been done before.

The comparisons with City of Heroes are inevitable, but while the similarities are many, they’re only skin deep, with the tonal shift in Champions the biggest indicator that this isn’t quite the same game. Where City of Heroes was seeping fun and sillyness from its pores, Champions dials up the melodrama, making everything seem epic and larger-than-life, while keeping a tongue firmly in cheek. With quests like ‘World of Witchcraft’, and huge, roaming monsters shouting ‘Grond smash you like rival MMO!’, you can’t help but enjoy the humour, however obvious. It also seems to make a little more sense that you’re around; superheroes have been unionised, essentially given their own business, and their own place within military forces. You get sent around by the bigger superheroes, and the soldiers appreciate the help. Sure, there are hundreds of superheroes around, but the lore seems to support that idea, so it’s not quite the shock of CoH, where walking through Atlas Plaza was more than a little odd.

Being in the Beta since March, I’ve seen a lot of things. Perhaps the most impressive is how quickly Cryptic have responded to player requests and suggestions. A good deal of the more impressive changes have originated in the forums; when there’s been enough of a backlash against a new implementation, Cryptic have removed it from the game. Too much of a plea for something new, and they’ve done their best to put it in. While it’s helped bring the game to release, it bodes even better for continued support in the future, where all concerns may be met.

Playing the open beta of Champions is bitter-sweet. So much is done right, and while there are a few bugs present, this is a beta after all, and the constant development of an MMO is bound to smooth them out. It’s taken the best ideas from the recent games, like public quests and roaming missions, and implemented them in a fun way. It’s given you an unprecedented amount of customisation in your character, and it’s given you bloody travel powers at level 5, after only 30 minutes of play.

I can’t help but be slightly peeved though, because they did take all the fun out of the rocket boots.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gundrea says:

By contrast I have heard according to friends that the game is too easy and there is little in the way of group gaming support. When running missions together it felt like just a bunch of guys who happened to be in the same area than a team co-ordinating their skills to defeat stronger foes. This naturally sounds bad to me being as an MMO is a social game.

Anyone care to refute it for me and set my mind at ease?

2. Bobsy says:

My biggest gripe with Champions is that there’s simply too much content packed together. On arriving in a new quest area you’ll be given a whole bunch of quests to do at the same time, each with long text intros and relatively simple objectives. There’s never any time to actually read what’s going on, and you’re doing too many things at once to care. So while it’s a distinctly un-grindy grind, it’s still a grind because you’re playing for your character, not for the objectives.

I love the powers though. In City of Heroes picking swords as your primary set meant that levelling up offered little other than a different sword move. You were pretty much locked into that. Here you can pick almost any power, so halfway through, your telekenetic archer type can suddenly bring out a laser sword and head down a completely different path. They promised a classless MMO, and, while filling certain class roles is probably unavoidable, a respec and a costume change lets you almost totally change your character from top to bottom. Which is pretty damn impressive.

3. Tei says:

@gundrea: You will team for dungeons. And people will team for dungeons, because some builds are not that solo friendly, or slow, and for the loot. and some people (like me) likes teaming.

—-

Redeaming features of champions:
    – GTA-ish like city. I like to walk, like a normal person (my heroe looks like a normal person) and pick missions as I locate these.
    – Original travel powers.
    – Powerhouse: test before you “buy” (with a big undo button, that just cost money).
    – Public Quest? not much of this.
    – Originality of graphics. Kinda cool to kill “G.I. Joe”-ish vipers, or “mental” guys that use mental weapons (made of …ether?).

What I hate is that I can’t destroy stuff flyiing. I can use Z to break a lamp, but If I collide at high speed to the lamp, the lamp don’t evne notice. I hate that, specially having played Prototype, I more or less expect stuff to break on collision. I feel like I weight less than 1 KG, because of that.
    Even GTA has this thing, wen you collide with a civilian, he talks and stuff, react to you.

Humm…. maybe I just want to play a GTA MMORPG with superpowers?

4. StalinsGhost says:

I think Champions is really starting to fall into the “wait for the demo” catagory for me :P

Grats on the RPSisation too Phill :)

5. Snuffles says:

It’s too easy, and the group dynamic is utter crap. But the character creator is a lot of fun, and the rocket boots were a blast the last time I played around with them [though now apparently they’ve been ruined by the devs]. Le Sigh. Here’s hoping Star Trek Online doesn’t suck? I’m still convinced that Perpetual’s game would have been really cool, you know, if they hadn’t gotten all liquidated and what have you. Oh wells.

6. Howl says:

I was looking forward to this for a while and initial impressions were great. The new graphics engine is stunning and brings an extra level of polish to your outfits.

And that’s it really. The body of the game was just another soul destroying, solo, quest grind with generic, time consuming nonsense tasks for needy NPC’s. The powers are bland and largely blasts with secondary effects. For someone that wanted to play a support character and group up in a full team, right out of the gate, this was a huge disappointment. The limited group content I did manage to find, after days of playing, just seemed like a messy, free-for-all clusterfuck.

My lasting image of the game was of an NPC screaming that he was going to run for help, whilst juddering about with the flaky pathing before getting stuck on some scenery. I’ll check back in a year.

7. Fat says:

The beta was open to anyone since friday, btw.

I only had a 15min dabble so far. Methinks i need to set up my options a bit more tonight before playing some more (beta closes late tonight) because the camera was damn annoying.

8. Gothnak says:

I had a look at this for the first time over the weekend, so this is from the point of view of a huge CoH/CoV fan…

Character Creation A++, best in the business.
    Tutorial C, too long, i want to go out and have fun.
    Quests B, Better than the grind of CoH.
    Stats D, Do i want Presence, Ego or Recovery? i don’t know, i have no idea which is useful, descriptions are vague and unhelpful.

9. Gothnak says:

Character Creation A++, best in the business.
    Tutorial C, too long, i want to go out and have fun.
    Quests B, Better than the grind of CoH.
    Combat D, The biggie… The combat feels disjointed and arbitrary for my ranged attacker. Sometimes i’d easily win, other times i’d be dead ina few seconds against the same enemy. It’s all to do with the Block ability, which sucks… imo… Also debuffs on enemies are not displayed, and the whole combat seems less fun and less understandable.

10. jalf says:

WHAT? Jetboots are the only fun travel power? Heresy! Swinging is *awesome*!

Apart from that, I’m in the “too easy, too little group content, too little reason to keep playing” camp. It’s fun to goof around in, but after a couple of days in beta, I’m not really sure what my motivation to keep playing is supposed to be. It never gets frustrating to play, but it’s never really *awesome* either.

11. Gothnak says:

Whoops, apologies for the double comment, realised i had to add something else and the page was taking so long to submit, i cancelled it…

(And now the 3rd comment….! n00b!)

12. Lu-Tze says:

I for one oppose the Superhero Registration Act, and their integration into the Military forces ¬_¬

Maybe they should’ve gone the “Civil War” route with their storyline and had some superPVP.

13. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I REPEAT ONCE MORE:
    Some keys were offered through PCGZine Issue 32…

14. Dante says:

I was in the closed Beta for this for quite a while, I had hopes that it might finally get me into MMOs, but the static, bland, quest giving just did my head in after a while. I simply cannot abide the MMOs need to have me get some bland exposition from a guy with an exclamation point over his head in order to kill a set number of regenerating enemies in a specific zone. It bores me to tears.

Guess I’m going to have to pin my hopes to Star Trek Online and The Old Republic if I want anything remotely different.

15. PaulMorel says:

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I just wanted to say that I liked the open beta a lot. I liked it more than I ever liked CoH/V, and I liked it enough to continue playing it.

It has a lot of the good qualities of CoH and WoW, while removing alot of the bad qualities. No 20/40 man raids, which is a plus to me (there are still quests for smaller groups). And much less grinding than CoH/V.

16. Zyrusticae says:

Very aptly written article. I have to agree with everything said (yes, including the rocket boots).

I don’t really understand the comments about “bland quest giving”, but then, after playing this thing since April, I imagine my perspective might be a little skewed.

I find the game fiendishly addictive, and it’s infected me with a terrible, terrible case of Altitis. Which is slightly frustrating given the 8-character limit (and still none of the dev-mentioned methods to increase this limit have been revealed), but still, I’m usually a one-character person, so the fact that this has happened to me is, alone, quite impressive.

It’s also rather frustrating that I have been torn between going with this and Aion. But the fact that I’ve already found myself a lovely legion for the latter, and the fact that I’ve been beta testing the former for four months, helps push me to the “right” decision…

17. Dante says:

The ‘bland quest’ stuff is coming from those of us who don’t play MMOs and were hoping for something a bit different. It isn’t particularly bad, it’s just standard for MMOs, and standard for MMOs is tragically bad for people used to single player.

18. dave says:

teleporting is fun, that is all.

19. Ian Moriarty says:

The game recently got a difficulty boost across the board. So previous assertions that the game was too easy have been addressed. Defensive Passives in particularly got nerfed hard, so combat is a bit more dynamic as even even con minions can produce a challenge in groups.

~I

20. Psychopomp says:

How do you take the fun out of rocket boots…

21. the affront says:

So when was recently, Ian? If it wasn’t after/during yesterday it’s still piss easy if you pick the right powers, namely regeneration and telekinetic shield for the lingering damage reduction and energy absorption (even if it does nerf your active energy generating skill by a third, if you pull a ton of mobs it doesn’t matter a bit.. not to even begin with PVP, if you tap block once every 8 seconds you’re practically unkillable if the other team isn’t on VOIP and bursts you down during one hold, and that is without healers) effect after tapping block for even a second. That was so ridiculously OP my minigunner solo’d 20 mobs at even or even slightly higher level at once.

22. utharda says:

My 5 year old twins love it, and can play it pretty well with help and supervision, so I’m buying it. I was playing with the character creator, and they came over and got into it. Thats new for them.

That may not be a selling point for the average gamer -).

Oh and if you see a poor bastard teamed up with a hot pink martial artist with pink and purple butterfly wings… try not to laugh at me too much.

23. Latro says:

Looking at the kind of character design at the Open Beta, you are safe.

Unless is a hot pink martial artist with a shark head and a cat tail.

24. Wulf says:

I see some misleading comments here, and as a fan of the game who does engage in group content, here’s my take:

– Being forced to do group content is bad.
    – Being forced to do solo content is bad.

Does Champions Online do either? No, it doesn’t. It provides incentives for group players, better loot among other things. It doesn’t force people to group, but it makes the game a little nicer for them when they do.

What happens when people are forced to group? Well, let’s look at World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Lord of the Rings Online, and similar games. You’re forced to group, and dicks group with you because they want stuff. You get a group that goes like this…

– Greedy bugger (the loot is all mine!).
    – Obnoxious loudmouth (omfg, why’s this taking so long?).
    – Unhelpful loner (hm… I’ll just sit here in the corner.).
    – Opinionated elitist (you sux nub, your spec is fail!).
    – Anti-team player (could take this entire place by myself!).
    – Fair-weather grouper (I’m dying too much, I’m gone.).

Repeat these very valid stereotypes over and over up until a 10, 25, or 40 man raid, and perhaps intersperse it with one or two people who’re actually helpful.

Yeah, thanks but no thanks.

I think people “need2lrn” Ultima Online, which was another game which didn’t force grouping but provided incentives for people to work together. One of the reasons we didn’t see many dicks on PvE (as opposed to PvP) UO servers is because they kept to themselves, and we never had to deal with them.

Being forced to group for anything incites drama, misery, and a huge playerbase that isn’t really having a lot of fun.

UO syndrome is going to find a place in Champions Online, where the helpful people who like to group are going to put together supergroups and work together for the small incentives they get for doing so and because they like to work together as a team.

Whereas the people who can’t group without being jerks won’t need to be included in a group, I won’t have to put up with them, you won’t have to put up with them, and thus the game is better.

So no, the game doesn’t force you not to group and there are even incentives to group, but if you’re having trouble with grouping then perhaps it’s simply because people don’t want to group with you?

I did most of the missions in Canada in a small group of 2 or 3 people, it was fun.

RE – Ranged sucks!

Ranged players work best with tanks, if you’re getting the snot beaten out of you then team up with a friendly tank. The Presence of a good tank can keep the heat off you — providing you haven’t been foolish and stocked up on Presence with a ranged character — and you can concentrate what you’re good at.

If you see a tank and you think they’d be a good team player, try inviting them and see what happens!

The only mechanic that CO has removed is that groups don’t need dedicated healers any more, because frankly playing a dedicated healing support class is boring. It’s like the Medic in TF2, you do it because it’s necessary, not because it’s fun. But in CO the players can heal themselves, so the only mechanic that matters is a good mix of powersets.

And the powersets bounce off each other quite well.

25. Ian Moriarty says:

@the affront: No, the recent nerf across the board was a few days ago, is is probably the one you’re familiar with. By no means is CO difficult in any way. And frankly I like the ability to take on significant waves of minions without feeling too stressed – makes the game feel more heroic. But prior to the nerf the Closed testers were soloing +7 missions with ease, and that was broken.

As with CoX, CO will certainly evolve for a long time and I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes.

26. the affront says:

Yeah, I actually liked it too, but it still felt too easy. I didn’t care if there were 5 villains and an arch villain thrown into the bunch at all, as all the henchmen dropped dead in the first minigun salvo anyway, and tanking the rest with regeneration waiting for energy for 1 or at most 2 more salvos was just boring, not heroic.
    But then, playing without a good defensive power is something I’d really, really don’t want to. As it is playing in avenger stance and being unable to use one is completely un-viable compared to the alternative, if you don’t have a dedicated healer, as time spent healing yourself with active powers would shorten time to do damage and probably end up less survivable / less damaging both, over time.

27. Fat says:

Well this end of beta day/event is going well, not. Servers have been down quite a few hours. :P

28. Drifter says:

The character creation was fun to play around with. Once in the game though, about 10 minutes I stopped and was ready to uninstall. Only reason I didn’t was because my boys asked if they could try it out. They’ve had fun but are now bored with it.

29. Psychopomp says:

“It’s like the Medic in TF2, you do it because it’s necessary, not because it’s fun.”

Speak for yourself.

30. Vinraith says:

Personally I find being a medic in TF2 relaxing.

31. Ian Moriarty says:

From Twitter: “@Cryptic_Daeke Discussing the possibility of extending Open Beta due to the downtime. I’ll let you know when I hear more.”

That’d be nice. One of Cryptic’s best traits thus far is they seem to actually listen. They don’t always agree, but they do listen.

~I

32. lumberjack_wannabe says:

I’ll be waiting a few months before I make a decision on a purchase. I loved the Open Beta (played a munitions 2 pistol character… love the Equilibrium gun katta!), but I’m worried about any grinding at higher levels, a lack of content, and the lack of a more streamlined grouping system, not to mention the game, overall, is really nothing new in terms of MMOs. It definitely is more casual/solo friendly than most MMOs though, which is a very big plus.

33. urgua says:

@Fat: The servers are up :)

I just joined the game during open beta, but I don’t feel its too easy. If I don’t wan’t to do a certain quest because its quest level is too easy, then I just swing a few blocks down to face a tougher quest? Seems great for me.

I have made 3 chars so far, so only got to Millenium City yesterday:P Here I had a blast fighting escaped convicts on all floors of a construction site. Then had to flee down a staircase only to have to jump out from the 4’th floor and swing(swinging is GREAT) to safety on a nearby rooftop. Fleeing like a noob hero.

Then some dude with rocket feet landed next to me and asked to join forces. We did two mission together with much fun.

I’ve only tried the basic gameplay and LOVE it. Also because I don’t feel the need to rush to max level before the fun begins.

But then again, I’m a noob regarding this game. I could just swing away all day long, I guess :)

34. Meat Circus says:

“Just above mediocre”

Faint Praise II: The Damnening.

35. Maj.Havok says:

Like this game as well, super jumping my character into a group of baddies way fun. My daughter has had a blast playing and has made 10 characters overall and it was fun to take on some mission with her.
    Will be sad to see the beta end as I can’t afford the monthy… :(

36. Anthony Damiani says:

Which made micropay-gate so much funnier to watch, in a horrible, soul-crushing sort of way.

37. bigblackjesus says:

Still an AIM over this “Open” Beta.

38. DMJ says:

Sadly, the character creation stage was the best bit for me. I couldn’t recreate my CoH hero “Robot Lincoln”, but I could make a good “female librarian wearing a sensible skirt, smart blouse and jacket, reading glasses, and wielding dual handguns”.

The rest of the game turned out to be rather dull. I will concede I might have missed something, but hammering the same button over and over and over again does not a modern game make.

39. We Fly Spitfires - MMORPG Blog says:

I get the impression that Champions Online would make a perfect console MMO rather than a PC MMO. I’m dabbling in the open beta but decided to pass on pre-ordering the game. I’m more excited about Aion.

40. Dante says:

“Hammering the same button over and over and over again does not a modern game make.”

I agree, but sadly Blizzard and their millions of fans do not.

41. Stromko says:

Bill Roper (now design director of Champions Online) was actually quoted in the September issue of PC Gamer, “. . . Now, you can’t say, ‘let’s make the best WoW you could ever make’, Blizzard already did that.”. It certainly doesn’t stop us from trying, doesn’t it? I’m not sure if Champions suffers from trying to out-WoW WoW or if it just didn’t come together right, but I’ve been overall a bit disappointed with it.

I don’t actually hate the changes to Champions that make it more like a typical MMO than City of Heroes was. I’ve tried so many times to enjoy CoH and CoV, but it was just too grindtastic. A lot of the conventional features in Champs seem to lubricate said grind.

Equippable loot (1 each of Primary Defense, Offense, Utility, and two secondaries for each category) and crafting of said loot, gives another avenue for character advancement and I like that. It can still take an awfully long time to unlock new powers, so I’m glad I can also get new bits of gear in the spaces between.

Stats that matter. Strength, Presence, Ego, Constitution, etc– a lot of powers scale with these, and there’s passive bonuses for having a particularly high (or in some cases, low) stat. As they’re modified by talent choices, ‘super stat’ picks, and the particular gear you’re using, there’s ample opportunity to specialize or generalize one’s character for various roles.

Active Blocking – I like it, you have to pay attention to what the enemy is doing and start blocking when they bust out their super attacks or gang up on you, or you’re going to be in a world of hurt. I think this is going to be a core of grouping, the tank has to balance out grabbing the aggro with active blocking so they can actually stay alive.

That said .. I think these changes do more to patch up the flaws in and extend the City of Heroes formula rather than advance the genre. Champions doesn’t live up to its own hype, as Phill pointed out, and that’s disappointing. I think it’s okay, and since I can’t cancel my D2D preorder (which comes with no 2-day head start either, joy), I’ll have to try and enjoy it.

42. Choca says:

Loot based Superhero game + No balance whatsoever + no synergy between players to encourage grouping makes it a disappointment for me.

Not to mention the horrible ergonomy and hideous interface.

43. Mark says:

How “go kill ten boars thugs” is it?

44. Choca says:

It is pretty heavy on the “go [do something] X times” since it’s heavily inspired on the WoW school of quest design if that’s your question.

45. David says:

I have to say that I enjoyed it. My different characters ACTUALLY felt like my own characters, and while combat may be easy I think that’s sort of the point. You’re supposed to be a superhero nearly on par with Defender after all, it would be immersion breaking if three Canadian hosers with cheap assault rifles had what it took to bring you down. I think one problem here is that a big part of the playerbase is so used to grinding in game like WoW or Lineage 2 that they forget that they’re actually allowed to have fun while playing a game, because let’s face it, a slower progression through the levels is all well and good, but not at the cost of fun. I for one will keep playing this game until it becomes boring, and that certainly hasn’t come close to happening yet.

46. GenuineEntropy says:

@ Mark. Think WoW with a superhero lick of paint.

47. -Spooky- says:

Show me one MMO that was perfect on release.. *lol* But the question is: Why so horrorible engine performance on nvidia cards and why took the UI 10 frames for nothing?

48. Chatty says:

I’ve played the game since last november and it is constantly getting better. It’s broken no boundaries but what it does do, it does well. I’d suggest everyone give it a go because it really is a fun game.

49. Choca says:

While I’m not the biggest fan of the game, I have to admit that it indeed got a lot better in the last months of closed beta.

The whole “not so open” beta was a pretty bad move on their part though.

50. Kanttank says:

I enjoyed this game UNTIL you got past lvl 32. Power selection seemed forced. Min/Maxing becomes required as powers in your particular tree are all completed. Your forced to pick additional powers from other trees and not given options to improve core powers beyond a certain point.
    This approach makes me feel less unique, and I hope it gets fixxed by allowing you to repick current powers to furthur upgrade them/adding more powers in individual trees/ or reducing the powers given per level.