Hollenshead: Cancelled Id Game, Rage Demo?

By Jim Rossignol on August 24th, 2009 at 5:08 pm.

Id’s bossman Todd Hollenshead (pictured above, thinking about stuff) has conducted a huge interview with internet newshounds VG247. In it they cover a bunch of stuff about Id, Rage, and the Bethesda deal. They also mention that there’s likely to be a demo for Rage, but no multiplayer beta. The most interesting points elucidate about about Rage, explaining how it’s an action game (and a “directed” open world) with some extra bits added on. Hollenshead also explains that the previous Id project – named “Darkness” – was cancelled due to changes in the tech. “We really didn’t expect the ability to have the massive texturing and the outdoor environments,” says Hollenshead, “the game wasn’t designed or conceived to take advantage of that. So we were like, ‘Not taking advantage of this technology would be a shame.’” All of which sounds like the megatexture stuff that Carmack came up with for the Quake Wars guys has ended up allowing Id themselves to move away from the corridor-shooter. What is that going to mean for Doom 4? Well, that’s left answered. Lots me through the link, anyway, so go read.

1. Sweedums says:

bought the Quake pack on Steam about a week ago, I can’t believe i got Quake II working without a hitch, along with co-op multiplayer with a friend… man that game rules

2. Jim Rossignol says:

If Rage has the same solidity of gunplay as the earlier Quake games I shall be quite happy.

3. Psychopomp says:

I always confuse Todd and Romero.

4. Jim Rossignol says:

Both beautiful men.

5. Senethro says:

Jim: But todays kids would just say that the movement feels “floaty” and the guns “sound wrong”.

Translated, this means the player character moves at 40kph and the sound effects aren’t drawn from some Hollywood sound archive.

What I’m saying is I’m starting to wonder if most peoples preferences are just what they grew up with and so is familiar. What is solid gunplay? Is it crouch, aim down sight and 1 shot in the head or strafejump down the middle of the Imp blob with the dblshotty?

6. Jim Rossignol says:

A strafe-jumping deathmatch game can be just as solid in its execution as a simulated crawlfest, even if the experience is different.

7. Dave Gates says:

I’m genuinely excited about Rage, just glad they’re going to release a demo, not sure if its going to make my PC. I know its early days but do we have any idea about the specs needed?

8. DD says:

I Like to think of solid gunplay as Gauss-jumping 100 feet in the sky while guiding my rocket at the other persons feet as my grenades fall around them….

9. Dave Gates says:

*make my PC explode, rather.

10. Larington says:

“if most peoples preferences are just what they grew up with and so is familiar”

Yeah, I think theres an argument to be said for gamers falling into various different comfort zones, which isn’t so bad in itself, but it does become a problem when they decide to be completely unwilling to give anything outside that zone the slightest of chance to sink in.

11. Paul Moloney says:

Why did they get Fabio to do the announcement?

P.

12. Markoff Chaney says:

Little can stand up to my love of Quake and the enjoyment I still get from that first game. Whether online or SP, it plays wonderfully, even today. I may move faster than a man with 7 weapons has any right to, but it, for that game, it all worked and worked very well to bring me into the world. I could circle strafe virtually anything into oblivion and ride a rocket’s blast to enable me to jump ludicrous distances. Trying the same skillset in ArmaII doesn’t yield the same returns in terms of kills, nor enjoyment.

Perception may not be reality, but it sure is how we perceive it. Just as it can be wearisome to argue with a colorblind man that color does exist, it can be just as frustrating trying to point out how certain types of games can be more enjoyable if people would only give them a chance. Serious Sam and ArmaII (to go to extremes, or even Chex Quest, if you want) can both present Solid Gunplay within the paramaters of their world programmed for their avatars to inhabit and interact. Saying they both present solid gunplay is not mutually exclusive. I would argue the exclusive one is the person who states one is solid and the other isn’t due solely to their own perceptions.

Finally, I hope Howard doesn’t mis-read the title.

13. Nerd Rage says:

That confused look is him trying to wrap his head around the idea that it really isn’t butter. Not matter how hard he tries, he just can’t believe it.

14. Psychopomp says:

“NAH MAN, I CAN’T POSSIBLY ACCEPT THIS AS FACT! THIS SHIT HAS *GOT* TO BE MOTHERFUCKIN’ BUTTER!”

15. Xercies says:

I do not like where the gaming industry mainstream is going, it seems there is no small publishers/developers anymore outside of indie. It seems to be noe controlled by big corporations. And to see the effect that has look at the film industry, you’ll see less and less evolutionary games now.

16. Anarki says:

I, along with probably many others, have been yearning for something that matches the original Quake ever since it came out. Maybe games will just never be as good now that I’m not 14 any more…..

Also Markoff compared Quake to Arma II, and my world just exploded.

17. Vinraith says:

Open world games well populated with content make me very, very happy.

18. Railick says:

Lol, my comment was deleted. Someone must like Todd Hollenshead or at least pony tails. Sorry if I offended any one.

19. Surgeon says:

Todd Hollenshead in chewy toffee / public speaking debacle.

20. Tei says:

If id games become less about modding, and more about something else, maybe Id Software will become the next Valve. And then Valve can become the next Ubisoft. And Ubisoft can become the next Codemasters. And Codemasters the next Atari. And Atari, I don’t know, the next PizzaHat.

21. Psychopomp says:

Pizza Hat?

22. suibhne says:

Atari can become the next Interplay.

*snicker*

23. Psychopomp says:

DO HO HO HO

24. ZIGS says:

Atari can become the next Interplay.

*snicker*

I wish. They’re the worst publisher nowadays, everything they touch turns to crap

25. Psychopomp says:

I don’t think he got the joke, guys.

26. Biz says:

haha nice pic for the article

27. suibhne says:

Seriously, now…Todd’s answer to the last question is pretty interesting. I haven’t loved an id game in quite awhile, but I always appreciate the honesty these guys evince in reviews. No PR bs here – they either answer questions or don’t, and their actual answers are direct and sometimes pretty darn detailed.

28. Juror #9 says:

Boy, id have to say that i really enjoyed the Dooms and the Quakes (through Quake III arena). These guys push the graphics to the max unfortunatly for me. I have to wait for some time before i have a system ballzy enough to get through the crunch of polygons. I did just sign into QuakeLive and have found the game quite enjoyable yet again. Hopefully Rage will turn out to be great with this new Tech 5 engine they’re touting. The Quake series have been lacking the Valve story/plot, maybe they’ll give some surprising backstory to this new game, or is that just wishfull thinking.

29. Okami says:

@ Railick: Or maybe somebody just doesn’t like personal insults appearing on their website, no matter who they’re directed at.

Though I guess it’s ok to insult Hitler.

Hmmm…

Hitler’s a douchebag!

30. jingo says:

@Juror #9:

“These guys push the graphics to the max unfortunatly for me. I have to wait for some time before i have a system ballzy enough to get through the crunch of polygons.”

Well, that may have been true when they were all about the PC. Now that they’re developing for consoles, don’t expect Rage to be the next Doom 3 or whatever. It’s not pushing any boundaries here, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you’re looking at it.
    So just like with any well optimized multiplatform game, a decent dual core and a decent gpu will get the job done.

31. Jim Rossignol says:

Direct insults are not okay. Snide insults or clever mockery please.

32. Casimir's Blake says:

Despite that, Jim, coming from Doom (!!), I always thought that Quake had overdone headbobbing, and weak weapon sounds. Its audio was pretty cool otherwise, but the shotguns just felt a bit meh. Quake 3 was, and still is, far more solid in that respect.

33. Railick says:

For what it’s worth I wasn’t intending on actaully insulting the guy directly just that his facial expression was very “duchebagesc” I don’t know him personally so I can’t say one way or another what his personality is like. Again I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings ect.

34. rocketman71 says:

They didn’t let go Todd in the big buyout?.

Damn, every time I read something from him, it squashes the little tiny possibility that I buy something from id again, assuming they were able to go back to making good games.

Yep, microscopical possibility, I know.

35. Radiant says:

@Rossignol
    “Clearly both of those things can be solid gunplay: what makes gunplay bad is when the game isn’t smooth and sharp, when hit boxes don’t connect to the models, when the audio-visual feedback from the weapons doesn’t seem to cohere with what you’re doing in the game world.”
    Absolutely.
    A big issue with user experience on these shooters is that not everyone is playing with the best tools.
    I remember I first played Halo on the PC and I hated it. Nothing felt right and it played like garbage.
    Fast forward 4 years and I’m playing it through again on a much more meatier machine and it was as slick as butter.
    I think this had a similar effect on something like Far Cry 2 where the user experience was so divided.
    Not everyone has the same tools to play these games as intended.

36. Radiant says:

Strangely enough this also has a similar effect with non shooters.
    Dawn of War 2 was a completely different experience on my lap top without all the ¡whooooosh bang! my main [admitidly mid range] box provided.
    Saying all this…
    PLEASE BE GOOD RAGE.

37. PHeMoX says:

By all means, don’t confuse their RAGE game for an open-ended one, just like many people did with Fallout 3. It’s not open-ended.

It’s a relatively open world, but not open-ended.

38. Schrodinger's Lolcat says:

I concur with Jingo.

Sadly, I suspect the multiplatform nature of this release is going to dilute some of the “feel” of the shooter element which Mr. Hollenshed claims mastery over. If the shooting element has to be done around the organizing principles of a console controller, it is very easy to lose a critical feeling of a PC FPS.

This is a very murky subject but there are significant ways designers must change pacing, movement, and combat to accommodate console controllers. The result is often a shooter that feels less than spectacular or polished here. There is something floaty to multiplatform FPSes.

id might be able to account for this effectively, keep the razor sharp edge of the genre that makes it so appealing. But, given the limited success of others, I’m weary of this.

39. pilouuuu says:

Wow, it will be the first 5 Gb demo!

40. Schwerpunk says:

id, I love you guys.

But (IMHO), so often you remind me of those metal bands from the 70s that I thought were so cool and edgy. Only now; you seem kinda outdated–trying to compete in a field you helped establish, only you’re still making games like it’s 1996.

That shouldn’t be a bad thing, but you labour your games with whatever newness is infesting the FPS genre this financial quarter (if Rage has lock/toggle cover I will cry a single, molten tear).

Evolving doesn’t have to be entirely bad, but you don’t go far enough! You middle about in the… centre. id, here’s what I think: either stick to the old purity-of-concept, or blow us all the fuck away again. Please.

Don’t be Judas Priest.

PS- Quakelive was a good start

41. LionsPhil says:

With the FPS velcroing its spine to cover systems and obligatory tag-team pseudo-co-op revives, it must be about time for another Serious Sam celebration of the simple joy of being an man-tank mowing down hordes with his hip-fired minigun, with none of this cowering behind convenient pieces of broken masonry.

42. Seth says:

@ jingo Yeah, there’s no way that Doom 3 could have come out on console.

Oh. Wait.

43. Shalrath says:

And look at what mastery Doom 3 was.

44. jingo says:

@Seth:

Did you even play the X-Box version of the game?
    It was horrible, despite the fact they tried to scale down the engine to suit the console, it still suffered from frequent slowdowns and various technical problems.
    It probably was and still is the most demanding game that was ever on that console, and naturally, it didn’t hold a candle to the game on PC at the time neither in performance and definitely not in visuals.

So yeah, my point still stands.

45. Schwerpunk says:

I was always amazed at how well DOOM 3 ran on my old computer. Truly a triumph of coding (not that I’d know much about such things).