There’s Money In Them Hills: Borderlands Footage

By John Walker on August 25th, 2009 at 11:51 am.

A montage of Borderlands footage has appeared at Games Trailers. It doesn’t look the most official of videos, but it contains excellent examples of the frenetic nature of the game, as well as showing off the concept art-style graphics at full speed. Borderlands is one of the games to brave the pre-Christmas storm, set to appear on the 23rd October, which is four days before my birthday and thus ideal. You can see the frantic action below.

You can read our interview with project lead Randy Pitchford here, and check out Alec’s hands on experiences with it here.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CMaster says:

Looks fun, although some of the UI still looks pretty ugly. Also, no sign of the slightly sily guns there – all pretty conventional looking, so guess that is what you will be using most of the time.

Really hope there will be a demo.

2. CMaster says:

Did I say UI? I meant HUD, but having watched the HD version now, I don’t think it is so bad and it is at least pleasantly chrome-free.

On the other side, watching in HD means I now spotted the existence of “kill 5 rats” missions which is a little depressing.

3. Howard says:

Seeing this game moving really does help a lot. The still pictures just don’t do it any favours at all really.

4. Sitting Duck says:

It seems we share a birthday John, and a name also. What are the odds of that, hey?! erm, 365/1
    What do I win?

5. torchedEARTH says:

A vehicle that can drive through rocks! How pre-QA of them.

6. jon_hill987 says:

@torchedEARTH: I spotted that as well.

I’m not interested in this game in the lightest now. It looks far too console for my liking, was that score I saw floating above peoples heads when you shot them?

7. CMaster says:

@jon – no, that was damage, in classic RPG style.

8. Sir Digby says:

Huh, same birthday for me too!

9. Tei says:

Theres something beatifull of a group of players killing “rats” everyone with a different weapon. It works for L4D, it works for Killing Floor, and It may work for Borderlands, If It have some coop component…

10. Paul Moloney says:

I have no real comment to add other than its project read will always be Randy PitchforK to me (after my initial misreading).

P.

11. Jim Rossignol says:

The numbers thing is odd. I think it will be compelling though. Sometimes bigger numbers is enough.

12. Mike says:

This looks really lovely. The visuals really fit in well, reminds me of XIII.

13. mrmud says:

Having numbers pop up is a big deal (Scrolling combat text was a big mod before it was integrated into WoW) as it allows you to track your dps improvements in real time.

14. Sitting Duck says:

27th October: Day of Kings.

15. hahaha says:

No one reminded of Serious Sam? This is just way too fast to be boring.

16. Kris says:

@ Paul

Thank god I’m not the only one. I’ve always mis-think of him as Randy Pitchfork, ever since I first read interviews with him regarding BIA.

17. Stitched says:

What pre-Christmas storm? Isn’t every title announced for release this year been pushed to 2010?

18. gulag says:

Any word on if this thing has any sort of story? Is it all grind quests, or will it go large with a epic story of aliens, outlaws and over-sized ordnance?

The earlier trailers, pre-style revamp, seemed to suggest something like this might be the case. Also, will it still have the big digger? So many unanswered questions! It’s almost like they have a team of people working to build interest and anticipation in this game!

19. Jim Rossignol says:

It’s definitely story led.

20. CMaster says:

@Jim (or John or Alec, or indeed anyone else who knows)
    Is the coop full story/campaign, or is it more isolated?

21. The Sombrero Kid says:

i am so excited about this i could pee.

22. shiggz says:

I’m bored as hell gaming wise right now. (playing through gta4 dating parts) talk about a dearth in games over the last year. Borderlands and Dragon Age like the only 2 games im looking forward too all year come out at nearly the same time.

23. Stevo says:

Great that it may be the constant number flashing when enemies take damage is just irritating. This ain’t a MMO we don’t care what damage we are doing as long as the bleeding thing we are shooting is dying! Add to that the the UI looks extremely OTT to the point where it looks like it’s having private rave.

24. shiggz says:

i do hate when the guy your using blocks like half the screen.

25. gulag says:

I’m going to guess the numbers over head thing is optional, but as a post above points out, it’s a very simple way of telling the player that his gun is doing more or less damage than an alternative weapon, or if the enemy is vunerable to the type of damage being dealt. An interesting swipe from the MMO peeps.

26. shiggz says:

guy=gun

27. Jim Rossignol says:

There must be an FPS that has used numbers like that before. Or is my sense of familiarity just MMO-residue?

28. AndrewC says:

I think you just use FRAPS too much.

29. suibhne says:

I’m confused by people deciding to skip the game based on this trailer – there’s nothing new here, is there? The UI looks okay, and the art style definitely holds up. Also, I’m thrilled to be reminded about the game’s iron sights. I get downright frustrated without iron sights these days; the halfass RMB “zoom” you get in games like Riddick just feels anemic even if it’s the same factor of magnification.

30. Doctor Doc says:

That’s my birthday too! Yay, happy birthday!

31. cheal says:

Looks awful, really really awful.

32. TotalBiscuit says:

@cheal “Looks awesome, really really awesome!” – fixed your unfortunate typos.

I’m glad my internetfriends aren’t as timid in their purchases as some those here. Can’t wait to zoom around in our buggy blowing sh*t up with 3 friends and collecting ridiculous 12 barrelled acid-shooting, missile shotguns.

33. Paul Moloney says:

I do finally have a real comment to add now that I watched the video; I really do hope the game’s options including a “Minimised HUD” checkbox, as ALL THOSE CONSTANT NUMBERS are really distracting.

P.

34. Forscythe says:

Still looks great to me, though the vehicle combat looks a bit weak.

35. JKjoker says:

hmm, i cant see most of the action because the stupid iron sights mode is blocking most of the screen

36. JKjoker says:

the weapons take a lot of screen when they are in normal mode too, why would they hide the action like this ? just to show off their procedural weapons ? meh

37. StenL says:

I am pretty sure that the numbers above enemies thing was mentioned in the RPS article that was written when Borderlands changed the art-style into what it is now. I have definitely read it on this very site before.

38. toni says:

worst advertisment campaign I’ve seen so far imo. you don’t have any impression of what the game is about. is there story ? can you interact with NPCs beside shoot them ? is everything random generated meaning boring repetetive outdoors for 80% of the game and some mission-hubs with proper maps ? If my weapons are important for damage and everything is rpg-stat driven underneath, should it then NOT have a “super easy arcade” mode like Bayonetta will get. hold a button and the character shoots for ya, it’s only stats in the background aint they ? I predict even more shallowness than Wolfenstein or the worst and most misleading advertisement ever.

39. phil says:

mmm… preordered =D

40. cannon fodder says:

@Jim

Not an FPS as such (FPSRPG seems so cimbersome though) but Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines also did this.

41. Zyrxil says:

My enthusiasm for the game is lessened with this trailer. The lack of color differentiation in the actual gameplay footage makes it very hard to tell who is who and what is what. In order words, LESS GRAY PLEASE.

42. Klaus says:

Liked it, hope you can turn the numbers off though.

43. Tei says:

Re: HUD

The HUD seems designed to work with old and cheap Low Definition TV’s, these old TV’s with round corners that don’t show all the lines. Is a artifact of very old, ugly and lame console technology. I hope for the PC version the gui items are moved to the corners, since in a monitor, we don’t lost lines. Monitor != very bad old TV’s.

44. Lilliput King says:

@ Jim, not exactly an FPS again, but Tabula Rasa had the floaty head numbers.

As for the game, something about this video makes me worry a little.

Doesn’t look terrible, just gives me bad Tabula Rasa messy-combat vibes. Looks a little like the early L4D videos from 2006, before they cleaned the whole thing up a bit.

45. El_MUERkO says:

the numbers

aggghhkkk!

/cancels pre-order

46. JKjoker says:

im pretty sure theyll add an option to hide feedback, some ppl are just scared of rpgs and prefer not to see them

but yeah, i think the game really needs UI tweak options, between numbers, the weapon taking 1/4 of the screen (1/2 if you zoom in) and the stylized graphics you can barelly see anything

47. Tei says:

@hahaha: I remenber Serius Sam. I remneber it too late to add it to my other comment (the send button was already pressed).. I have some sessions with other 3 friends doing SS in coop.
    Anyway, is coop confirmed for Borderlands?

48. Meatloaf says:

I really hope I didn’t just see the car go straight through those rocks at about 30 seconds…

Yep. I did.

Sigh.

Ah well, I’m sure it’ll have it’s merits as a Game That You Play At Two In The Morning With Some Drunk Friends.

49. Wulf says:

@Mike

You too? That was the first thing I thought of when I watched the trailer, and I thought I’d never see another cel-shaded shooter.

I find lately I’m leaning more and more toward the colourful, stylistic art approaches, as I’m just finding them more appealing. Champions Online has some of the most amazing visuals I’ve seen in years and seeing that there are other games — like Borderlands — which use an incredibly similar style, I see hope in the future of the PC mainstream.

In my opinion, realistic just fails compared to this stylistic, outlined look, and that’s why Borderlands dropped it. Now if only we could have more incredibly colourful, stylised, outlined games.

50. Jeremy says:

Who knew floating numbers could be so controversial?