Ben & Dan Part 3 Revealed

By Alec Meer on September 1st, 2009 at 10:13 pm.

We already knew that uber-indie adventure series Ben & Dan/Time Gentlemen, Please was due for an episodic sequel, but we didn’t have a title. And without a title then, why, we are all as dumb as chickens. Now we have a title, which means we are as smart as astrophysicists. More important, there are details on how Zombie-Cow’s marvellously funny but, let’s be honest, a little traditional, games are evolving a little.

That title? Well, if you’ve already demonstrated the uncanny ability to read text even when it’s contained within an image, you’ll have worked that bit out already. If not, a) you’ve very simple, aren’t you? and b) it’s “Revenge of the Balloon-Headed Mexican”. Which apparently is metaphor-free – as in, the first of these B&D episodes is indeed about a Mexican with a balloon for a head. Splendid.

Furthermore, half-dumb, half-clever heroes Ben and Dan can now be split up, rather than Dan Ben having the lion’s share of direct control with occasional Ben Dan-based interludes. Day of The Tentacle-like (I’m guessing, wildly) we’ll be able to switch between the two whenever takes our fancy, presumably in the name of dual narratives and arranging more elaborate puzzles. In an age when the most successful adventure games persist in keeping things super-simple in order to woo larger crowds, it’s grand that someone’s still happy to experiment with complexity.

I was also pleased to hear Zombie Cow claiming things’ll be less parodic this time around, as Ben & Dan’s awareness that they were inside a game and regular references to Lucasarts adventures occasionally got a bit much, charming though such self-effacement largely was. Zombie Cow are good enough at this to not have to tip their hat to their influences anymore, and it seems as though they’re preparing to hold their chins up that much higher with Balloon-Headed Mexican.

A few more details here, though sadly no release date as yet. Give ‘em a chance though – Time Gentlemen, Please was only out about five minutes ago.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. robrob says:

Just wanted to say I tried the first two on RPS’s recommendation and loved them. Thanks RPS. Tharps.

2. TheFool says:

Isn’t it the other way around? You control Ben and drag along an adhd-riffic Dan with you except when everything goes to hell?

3. Gap Gen says:

Zombie Cow Studios is proud to announce episode Juan
    Dear God.

4. skizelo says:

TheFool: Like Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, and Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, most scholars refer to the characters not by their name, but by their hair colour.
    Also: yesyesyesyes!

5. Vinraith says:

I’m confused, if I was an astrophysicist BEFORE finding out the title of the new episode, what does this information make me? Deep Thought? Or does it just wrap around back to dumb as a chicken? If the latter, where can I get some sweet and sour sauce?

6. Saul says:

Aye, Alec has confused Dan with Ben and Ben with Dan! He must never hear the last of it.

This is good timing, as I just finished Time, Gentlemen Please the day before yesterday. I loved it, although I admit I glanced at some hints quite a few times as I got towards the end. It was rather long, and a few of the later puzzles seemed less intuitive than they should, so I’m pleased that the new installments will apparently be better suited to my modern attention span (ie. none).

There were strong indications that Dan was overcoming his sidekick-ness by the end of the game. It’s good to see that his character development is being maintained, and I’m sure it will make for some lovely puzzles!

7. lumpi says:

I hope that means sales were OK for Time, Gentlemen Please. It makes me smile think that you can do what Ben & Dan do in an environment dominated by soulless multi-million dollar productions.

8. Knight Of Cydonia says:

Shame they can’t afford voice acting for the characters – the right people playing Ben and Dan would make it a hoot. Heck, I’d do it for free, purely from love of their work.
    In fact…
    *rushes off to draft an email*

9. Gap Gen says:

I don’t think any profession for which “blob” is a technical term can really claim truly significant smarts. Although remembering the title of a paper you read a couple of years ago does require Herculean brain-strength.

10. Vinraith says:

@Gap Gen

Both good points. Now if I could just remember the names of some papers without consulting my notes, I’d have something to take solace in.

On a more related note to the topic at hand, I still need to pick up the first two (booo! hiss!) but I really do plan to do so. I just have so many games on the (largely virtual) unplayed pile as it is, I feel bad adding to it.

11. tiktaalik says:

omgzomg!111oeneoneeoneeone I am excited.

That is all.

12. ad_hominem says:

@Vinraith

I completed the first game in under a day, so don’t hold off on it because you feel you haven’t enough time. It’s most definitely worth it.

13. Rosti says:

This Is A Good Thing.

14. Secret Bass says:

I absolutely cannot wait for my expectations to be MEXICUTED.

15. Alex says:

Don’t release it too soon guys – preferably not for another 10-12 months. Make it awesome and make us wait for it!

16. Freudian Trip says:

I can’t get out of the 2nd room in Time! nor out of the first room in Ben There. I fail at videogames.

17. lhzr says:

gap gen, that episode juan comment tickled my brain in an amazing way :D

freudian trip: you’ve got no business here, move along please.

18. The Sombrero Kid says:

This is a must buy for me!

19. Mariachi el Matt says:

Me too!

20. Lestaticon says:

I’ll definitely be buying this too. Have fun making it!

21. Subject 706 says:

Great news!

22. Optimaximal says:

I’d assume that Ben Ward and Dan Marshall would voice themselves if they decided to make a talkie…

23. Sunjammer says:

Need more racism slider

24. Knight Of Cydonia says:

@Optimaximal – Yes… you would think that. keep thinking that for the next nrrrrgh months.

Comment on this story