Shattered Horizon On The, Er, Horizon

By Jim Rossignol on September 1st, 2009 at 8:48 am.

Shattered Horizon is a rather clever physics shooter from Futuremark – you know, those chaps who make benchmarking apps to gauge how buff your PC is. Their game, as it happens, is also about the high end PC, being tuned for Vista/Windows 7, and requiring DirectX 10 as a minimum. It’s a “multiplayer first-person shooter with unique freedom of movement and realistic zero gravity combat.” And that means fancy-shootin’ in the surrounds of orbital space debris: jet-pack spacemen with guns fighting inside the wreckage of the moon and various space stations, which is a premise I can dig. Zero-g combat could be ludicrously silly, or just rubbish, it’s hard to tell. Either way, the batch of new screenshots posted on the main site look fairly promising, while the teaser tailer (posted below) is frankly a bit dodgy. Apparently there’s a “technical beta” taking place right now, which suggests that, even though there’s no release date confirmed, the game can’t be too far off. We’ll bring you some more details when we see them spinning through the cold vacuum of the internet.

, .

1. RogB says:

vista/dx10 required? thats me out then. /golfclap.

2. pkt-zer0 says:

It looks quite pretty. Somewhat reminiscent of Bionic Commando, or a sort of outer-space Mirror’s Edge. Shame about the Vista exclusivity stuff, if true. That’s 70% of folks out (myself included), if the Steam HW survey is representative.

c-Row says:

Pretty meaningless trailer for something that sounds like it evolved from DM_Morpheus with the low gravity mod… meh

4. Lack_26 says:

That must have been one hell’ova nuke to blow half the moon up. This wouldn’t happen to be the game they decided to make from that benchmark piece where they were fighting in space. I remember thinking ‘I do hope they make a game of this’.

5. diebroken says:

Ender’s Game – The Game?

6. Joe Martin says:

Coming out the end of the year if the beta goes well.

I played this out at GamesCom and did a quick interview with the dev team and have to say I was very impressed with this game. Not sure if it’ll sell well, but it’s very fun to play.

7. DMJ says:

Does anyone have a PC from THE FUTURE ™ to play it on?

8. jarvoll says:

I was wondering when the first DX10-required title would pop up. (If this isn’t it, forgive my ignorance.) Now there’s just the wait until something actually necessitates an upgrade, like…

well, it’d pretty much have to be Half-Life 5.

I’ve been not-at-all-impressed with what I’ve seen of DX10 so far: a tiny difference in water-rippling in Bioshock is the only in-game thing I’ve actually noticed in a couple years’ relatively close attention.

On a not-really-related note, I can’t wait until FLOSS shoves Microsoft and its moronic APIs (and OSs, for that matter) down the toilet, where they belong.

9. animal says:

Brave move, I’d guess that cut their current market by quite a significant percentage though.

10. Pod says:

jarvoll: Stormrise is DX10 only. Is that out yet? I also wouldn’t call the D3D10 API moronic. It’s much less moronic than OGL3.

Anyway, re: the video. It’s the worst voice acting ever.

11. Dood says:

Really? I actually liked the voice acting. What’s wrong with it?

12. Bongo says:

Yes because DirectX is very moronic. It’s a very capable API, as most of Microsofts is.

13. Rostock says:

14. Rostock says:

Interesting double post there.

15. SirKicksalot says:

A native DX10 game will run better than a hybrid game. There are other native games on the horizon; there was an especially interesting project from a Crysis modding team that went pro and built an engine, but I can’t remember the name.

Stormrise just locked the DX9 renderer.

16. j c says:

Why do people still pretend like DX10 was ever meant to do *different* things than DX9? The only thing that was ever promised is that DX10 can do the same things as DX9, just faster, and in a way that makes it much easier for the developer to implement.

Futuremark is a 3D graphics developer, through and through. They want to push things as hard as possible. That means foregoing a DX9 codepath for a vastly different, DX10-only code path. Much easier to develop that way.

17. Dominic White says:

Okay, on the subject of the game itself – if it’s real Zero G combat, and based on relatively current technology, it could be great. Last game I played with proper Zero-G warfare was Heavy Gear 2, back many, many years ago.

Being able to lock down with magnetic boots for more precise movement and aiming, or being able to kick off and float free was a serious choice in that – if you’re floating off into space, you can be a FAST target, but you can’t take cover from anything either.

Astronaut gunplay is something that I’d like to see covered in more games. Bring on the moonplosion, says I.

18. Nathan says:

hi, i am having a problem tryng toplay the game. icanget to part were it says start game setting and stats. I hit start game then it goes to the servers then i click on a server then it load for a sec then i get this error that pops up all the time on my desktop. it says this:
    Application crash eva:force_crash
    shattered_horizon.exe [devdir]
    Npphysics SDK.cppline 129.

if anybody canhelp me out so that i can play this game that would be cool.
    my e-mail is nateman900@wavecable.com
    i really dont understand what that error means