Vox Populi Vox Dei (a werewolf thriller)

By Jim Rossignol on September 3rd, 2009 at 4:38 pm.

It’s werewolf o’clock. Reader Ian Hetherington says he sent us a link to Kongregate game Vox Populi Vox Dei (a werewolf thriller) “because a combination of platforming and punching werewolves to death seems like RPS’ sort of thing.” Hrm. Well Ian, we can’t say we disagree with you. The game itself is a mixture of subtle pixel art, punching werewolves to death, tricky timing, and mild annoyance. Some of the werewolf-passing puzzles vexed me mightily, but overall I give it some stars out of an arbitrary total. Good job.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ian says:

I should have just done this in the first place and saved myself forum type-age.

I’ve also learned that being a games journalist surely means sitting refreshing your e-mail waiting for people to send you stuff.

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Yes, send us stuff, lest we grow more indolent.

3. CMaster says:

Played this earlier. Thought it was really good if a little short, as well as the “girl of your dreams” strikes me as more like a child throughout.

Also – anyone else having weird issues with the comment system today?

4. Ian says:

I thought it odd that they seemed to be an ex-couple comprised of an angry killer robot/in a suit of armour of some kind and a small pink baby.

But hey, in a world populated by werewolves that shoot out of their stomachs who are we to judge?

5. unique_identifier says:

i was finding it pretty enjoyable until the pathfinding for the wee pink thing bugged out

6. Naurgul says:

Same as unique_identifier here. Played it the other day and stopped a little after I got the pink thing creature thing to follow me. It became a bit irritating at that point.

7. PleasingFungus says:

That room with the steam and the blinking lights has surely ruined my vision forever.

Pretty okay game, though. Always a fan of big thumping ground-impacts.

8. The Innocent says:

Played it the other day and loved half of it. The sheer bloody mess of attacking the werewolves was a grim delight, but timing puzzles that saw me waiting to run through a blast of deadly steam? Come on.

9. Ansob. says:

I’m playing Flashback and Oddworld again, apparently. The world needs more of this kind of game.

I’m stuck in the room immediately after freeing the pink thing, though (the one with the werewolf on the gantry and two platforms on pullies).

10. Ian says:

@ Ansob: I thought I was missing something super clever there. Assuming you know how to get the pink think to stop (and then start) following you it’s the simplest solution. :-P

11. A-Scale says:

This was a VERY good game. The jumping and invisibility mechanics made it feel hugely satisfying.

12. Rosti says:

The jumping/crouch pounce attack reminds me of Super Mario Bros. 3’s frog suit bounding. Except the bit where you brutalise enemies you jump on – Nintendo didn’t do that bit.

Me likey.

13. Bret says:

Fun, but was I the only one irritated with the ending?

14. CMaster says:

@Bret – it was a bit cheap, yeah.

15. Tevin says:

The visceral pleasure of mauling a werewolf is pretty powerful.

And the little yelp they make as you splatter their pixelated gore across the room is just adorable.

B+ because the ending … if that little pig-girl-elf-fetus-football thing could teleport the whole time, why didn’t it just do that to begin with?

16. tapanister says:

I would like it a lot more if yuo were playing the werewolf killing innocent people. There’s nothing wrong with being a werewolf you know.

17. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

*Looks up at post’s timestamp. Hangs head in shame.*

It’s ingenious that you’re at your most vulnerable when you’re mauling a werewolf. Unfortunately the developer didn’t play with that idea as much as I’d hoped. Though each room basically showcased one problem you had to overcome and the whole thing’s quite nice in how repetitive it could’ve been but wasn’t.

18. Alex Hayter says:

I pressed spacebar too many times, now I’m just stamping on the poor werewolf’s bloody dead body. Great stuff!

19. Nathan Fradete says:

i beat the game it says to be continued at the end cant wait for a sequal