FEAR 2: Reborn DLC, Downloadable

By Jim Rossignol on September 4th, 2009 at 8:18 am.

“Experience the chaos of Alma’s aftermath from an entirely new point of view: that of Replica Soldier 813,” says the Monolith press release. The FEAR 2 DLC contains four new single-player levels, with lots more supernatural happenings. The DLC coincides with a free multiplayer patch for the game which will introduce some new game modes for folks who like their slowed-down manshoot. The Steam version of the DLC is here, for £6/$10 and, er, it doesn’t appear to be available anywhere else yet, but I guess it will be at some point…

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ashurbanipal says:

My tired eyes read that as Replica Shooter 813. Hrm.

Don’t mean to start off with criticism, so I’ll say I haven’t played the new Fear but the original was some decent, competently-executed shootery…

2. Metal_Circus says:

The original was a good manshoot, that is true. But FEAR 2 is an absolute bore. I wonder if this is any cop, though.

3. RiptoR says:

First time the PC DLC is for-pay for this game. I’d buy it if I knew how long the SP part runs.

4. toni says:

10$ for 2 hours. there are dozens of indie games that get your more for your money (and feature intelligent gameplay, not a luke-warm console reboot of a franchise)

5. bansama says:

Picked up Fear 2 when I was in the UK a couple of weeks back for £14 or so, and finally started playing it last night. I’m more impressed by the actual game than I was by the original demo for it. So, maybe I’ll look into getting this DLC once I finish the main game.

6. l1ddl3monkey says:

FEAR 2 looked pretty (but everything looks pretty these days) but was mediocre. I enjoyed it but haven’t played it through since completing it the first time.

I’ll probably play this just to see what it’s like though. At least it’s a sensible sort of price.

7. Karry says:

I’m sorry, FEAR1 was a good shooter ? We must have been playing wastly different games. I saw poor models, crappy textures, bad dynamic lighting, almost non-existent fx, and absolutely godawfully bland and empty level design. The only thing it had going for it was physics. That it was made by the Monolith just blows my mind !
    Second one was just more of the same with upscaled system reqs.

8. Ashurbanipal says:

Yep, we probably were playing wastly different games.

9. Psychopomp says:

@Karry

If you think FEAR looked bad for it’s time, aside from the samey levels, just wow.

10. Theory says:

Fear 2 retail goes through Steam too, so the DLC isn’t going to appear anywhere else.

11. Ravenger says:

I got Fear 2 for £20 recently, and against my expectations I really enjoyed it. It was far better than the demo.

I liked it so much I played it through twice in a row.

The first game was OK, but the environments were too bland and repetitive.

I’ll definitely be picking up this DLC.

12. SirKicksalot says:

I can’t wrap my head around the notion that there are people who think FEAR2 is better than Wolfenstein.

13. CMaster says:

I thoroughly enjoyed FEAR, mostly for it’s pseudo-tactical combat. The horror sections didn’t do anything for me, while I always felt is screamed for some time with you fighting alongside the rest of the team.

The FEAR2 demo however left me completely cold, with it’s simple progression of: “scary” and very predictable bit in school, big run-and-gun fight in the streets (no lean, no particular need for catuion, no chance to sneak up), in robot rollercoaster ride. None of these seemed as good as the original and the complete lack of mixing them together was dissapointing.

14. bansama says:

But does the D2D version for FEAR2 go through Steam? Seeing that it offers patches separately via D2D, I wonder if it doesn’t require Steam. In which case, do the D2D version owners miss out on the DLC?

15. Vandelay says:

I had pretty much the same experience as CMaster. The original had such fantastically visceral combat that I was able to look beyond the slightly bland level design. I thought the horror sections were ok, but would have liked to see them integrated more into the action parts of the game

Playing the demo for FEAR2 was a very different experience. The combat became so much more simplified. The majority of encounters would be soldiers bursting through a door and taking cover, you shoot them in the head that pokes above the cover. There was no way of flanking the enemy, you couldn’t sneak up on them and do a slowmo flying kick to the face, and they just seemed like targets to shoot at. I usually don’t mind that kind of thing too much, but all the weapons suddenly felt like pea-shooters. And the least said about the closing robot section the better.

@Karry – I seriously think you should try running the game at max settings. Claiming the game had “almost non-existent FX” is just simply not true. FEAR excelled in shoving lots of FX at the screen all at once. Debris, sparks, explosions, etc. Seeing this all in slow motion was a real spectacle. The texturing has dated quite badly, and has not been helped by the add-ons being particularly bad in this area, but at the time it was the best looking game by a long way.

16. Kato says:

Is there a D2D version? I’d say it’s a Steam key if so, because like mentioned, even the retail disc goes to Steam.

Does the DLC have any new multiplayer gibbins? If so, that might justify the short campaign for me…

17. Sabre says:

Well, as one of the people who enjoyed FEAR2 considerably, I’m looking forward to sinking into this.

In any case, this DLC already has one up over FEAR2: Paxton Fettel, easily the best character in the original.

18. mbp says:

FEAR 2 was a big disappointment for me. I felt is was a step backward rather than a step forward. Everybody remembers being surprised by the AI in FEAR 1 when enemies would work their way around the terrain to flank you from behind. The levels in FEAR 2 are all “on rails linear” with little or no opportunity for flanking.

19. Pavel says:

FEAR 2 was supershitty megabore, I would give it 4/10, I finished it only because I wanted to see if it is shitty till the end.

It was.

Where are the times of NOLF or TRON or BLOOD, huh?

20. RiptoR says:

@Kato: Original post mentions the free patch with new multiplayer stuff.

21. Frye says:

Don’t be silly, Fear 1 was very good. You realise that game set the standard in it’s day for AI developers? Google F.E.A.R + AI and see what i mean….

22. suibhne says:

FEAR 2 was, for me, the biggest gaming disappointment in the last 2 years or so. Beautiful, great performance, high production values in every way – in service of such total, mind-numbing mediocrity. Alas, poor Monolith – I knew them well.

23. Subject 706 says:

Yeah, the first FEAR was a great game. FEAR 2 was the very poster boy of dumbed-down sequels.

24. David Gates says:

Going to make me a little unpopular but I didn’t mind FEAR 2. Yeah it was moronic but it past the time and it had some nice set pieces. Wasn’t as good as the orginal though, obviously.

25. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I want to know how the game plays from the perspective of Red Shirt McStormtrooper. I’m amused by the idea of playing games as a disposable trooper and not a godly special-forces-of-nature hero. But maybe there’s a reason games don’t normally let you do that…

26. j c says:

@David Gates

I hate this ridiculous idea that you have to try to defend your position so self-conciously. I don’t understand how someone can think that the original FEAR had a better single-player game. FEAR 2′s AI was somehow better than the amazing AI already ahead of its time in the original, the environments are far more varied and fun to play through, and all of the new mechanics are pulled off very well.

The only knock I can really think of is that the story wasn’t improved from the first, and was maybe worse in some ways. But FEAR’s gameplay was where it was always at, and FEAR 2 improves on it in every way.

27. 1stGear says:

I always felt that FEAR 2 was a better shooter, but a far far worse horror game. The overuse of Alma and the nerfing of Assassins from completely invisible, completely silent ninjas into translucent blobs of neon rendered the game completely non-scary for me and did turn it into another by-the-book shooter. But a better by-the-book shooter than FEAR.

28. bansama says:

Well I notice that the Fear 2 DLC has now turned up on D2D, so I’m doubting that the D2D version is solely reliant on Steam.

29. Heliocentric says:

The d2d version is a steam key, just like the d2d version of fear is a steam key. You get files, but they are for a steam install.

30. Heliocentric says:

Just like defence grid, zeno clash and dow 2. Btw

31. Heliocentric says:

Multiplayer is the redshirt play. Especially when you are out skilled. Go out of your way to guard a better player to complete the experience.

32. Heliocentric says:

Sorry to quad post but i was refering to fear 2 in my first of this chain.