Algebral Blooming: PuzzleBloom

By Jim Rossignol on September 5th, 2009 at 5:01 pm.

On this list of Good Things That Happened on the 5th of September 2009, I can now write: “Played PuzzleBloom.” Thanks to a Mr Britton, who pointed out that the PAX exhibitor had wowed the locals, and is now wowing the internet, I loaded it up and smiled anew. PuzzleBloom is a 3D isometric puzzle game in which you must bring greenery and life back to cold, dead, industrialized floating islands. You achieve that by being a green fuzzy dude, who leaps parasitically from drone to drone, controlling their actions to gain access to a node which will light up the environment with trees and grass. It’s a bit like Okami, only with mind control and no wolf ladygods. You have to play PuzzleBloom and you will do so here. Go! (Requires Unity to be installed, so don’t fall at that hurdle, honestly.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Llama says:

unity web player, riiiight, thats what it was for… well never mind then

2. Jim Rossignol says:

Missing out on this because you can’t bothered to install Unity would be foolish.

3. pilouuuu says:

Most beautiful web game ever. Looks fun so far.

4. Scott Kevill says:

Nice headline pun, Jim. :P

5. LlamaFarmer says:

Nice game indeed

6. G√ľnter says:

Eh, I thought it was a bit boring. I hardly had to think about the puzzles and the transforming effect was entirely unsatisfying. I should have just played fifteen minutes of Okami.

7. Little Green Man says:

Yeah, I didn’t really get that. It looked nice and all, but the puzzles had no degree of difficulty whatsoever and the design was just annoying (Why does it have to take ten seconds to restart a puzzle when you die? And why can I get hit by a laser through a box?)

8. cowthief skank says:

I never got hit through a box. I got hit because I was rubbish and did not stand fully behind the box, but never through the box.

I thought it was good but agree about how long it takes to restart the checkpoint if you die. But it was a nice relaxing game to take my mind of the real world :-)

9. Sam C. says:

And I still can’t format tags right. I meant it shared the taking over others to achieve your goals mechanic with Messiah, an oldish PC game where you played an cherub in diapers.

10. Kua says:

A worthwhile distraction. There’s obviously some reason to hate Unity that I’m not aware of but not having to install fantastic short games like this is just wonderful.

11. Anthony says:

Huh, I think I’ve already played this before a while ago. And I played Okami today so I have no desire to play this one again.

12. LionsPhil says:

Unity has all the problems of Flash, only moreso: namely, it’s a proprietary plugin for an even more limited set of platforms which has had even less attention given to security or privacy issues due to its lower visibility and install base.

Completely off-topic: I see that RPS is sporting another ad taking digs at ENVOYNONNYNONNY, or whatever the hell it’s called.

13. LionsPhil says:

(Inexplicably, I seem to have somehow made a post through the broken commenting system which appears in the sidebar, yet not in this article’s comments. How entertaining.)

14. a says:

That was the cutest little soul stealing nature demon I’ve ever seen. Quite a nice little game.

15. Zerotime says:

Gave up at the moving laser/boxes puzzle. If you’re going to have the character hide behind an obstacle, try to make it slightly wider than them to avoid DIAS positioning problems.

16. radomaj says:

That this hasn’t wowed people before (most of whom saw it on IndieGames.com in April), but it has wowed people now, during PAX is mighty suspicious to me. I can’t help myself, but think unflattering and probably untrue things about “artsy” people.

17. unique_identifier says:

re: laser puzzles – the wee ickle robots dont appear to be bothered by the lasers…

this was a quite pleasant way to begin sobering up on a sunday.

18. TeeJay says:

Fun, but firefox kept crashing when I got to the moving lazer puzzle. :(

19. Mac says:

Nice game – and the price is right :p

20. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s nice, but not more than that. Perso ally, I think the concept of the spirit-thing trying to bring life to places could’ve been fleshed out a bit more rather than to use it as a premise for what’s solely a puzzle game. They could’ve added a bit more character to it ‘s what I mean, and a bit more substance.

21. Joseph says:

Unity usually/always crashes firefox for me =( Tried reinstalling.

22. sfury says:

I didn’t even realize it was based on Unity, so most of the time I was amazed how they squeezed those pretty graphics in a Flash game. Guess I must have installed Unity some time back when I was checking out the Blurst titles. :]

What makes me happy is it works flawlessly under Opera 10, because usually people forget/don’t bother to throw support for their apps under my fav browser.

The game is pretty good, I hope new levels/full game spring up soon.

23. Jim Rossignol says:

Randomaj: I’d never seen it before, and given my propensity for reading the entire gaming internet, I’d guess lots of other people hadn’t seen it before either.

24. Kamakaze says:

fun little game. Was fairly easy but had to think a little towards the end :P

Unity/Flash is all the same, if you use one you might aswell use the other. If its for a game then I am fine with it though.

25. Kowalski says:

Brilliant little game.

26. Tom says:

Charming game.
    You can get Unity for iPhone now. Wonder if these games working on that?
    What was that other game you posted about – with the little dude running and falling around a cube.
    PirateGirl was the arthur if memory serves…?

27. Rune says:

Tom, I think you’re thinking of BOXGAME by Sophie Houldon aka GirlFlash.

28. phuzz says:

:( unity no likey my firefox, (on both vista x64 and vanilla XP)

29. Required says:

Hey, commenters should notice that this is a student game! Sorry, a great! student game.

30. roxxky says:

Nice site and the article are posting are very nice. Hi, good luck man and thanks for sharing this post with us.
    follow up letter after interview

Comment on this story