Call Of Duty: A Long Time Ago Warfare

By Alec Meer on September 7th, 2009 at 10:58 am.

This Lucas-baiting moddery from a team of German chaps aims to recreate Star Warsian combat in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Are Lucasarts still litigious about this kind of thing, or have they eased up nowadays? It does very much look like COD4 with Storm Trooper and Rebel skins, although the Tatooine setting positively scream’s Counter-Strike’s Dust. But it’s got the pew-pew lasers and the epic music, so it’s going to make a fair few gentlemen very happy, I don’t doubt. Galactic Warfare’s trailer can be found in a galaxy far, far away. Also, below.

More details here, but in German alas. Fortunately, it does have pictures.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. CMaster says:

2. Wacky says:

Meh First Strike is better since it has vehicles and it’s released :P

3. Ansob. says:

This looks exceedingly well-made and just the sort of thing I’d want to tide me over until MW2. I don’t suppose anyone has arcane knowledge of a forlorn tongue (by which I mean German) and can decipher us a release date?

4. Dominic White says:

Lucasarts haven’t been uppity about Star Wars fan-mods for a while, thankfully. There was a pretty huge Battlefield 1942 (moved to Battlefield 2, I believe?) one that didn’t get so much of a whiff of a cease-and-desist, and there’s been others since then.

I’d say this mod is safe, so long as they don’t use characters names and likenesses.

5. Kohlstream says:

I would spend hard erned £ on this if it was DLC. I really hope they finish it or release a playable beta if thay cant.

6. Chaz says:

I’d like to see a good sci-fi laser gun shooty mod/game, but why do they always have to pick Star bloody Wars. Why can’t these people use their talents to come up with something original?

7. Dominic White says:

@Chaz – Because nobody sodding plays original mods. There’s a ton of good HL2 ones that have one or two active servers if they’re LUCKY, because nobody gives a damn.

A good Star Wars mod is certain to bring in the punters, though.

8. Schaulustiger says:

Looks like they plan to release a first version somewhen in October. The site itself is a bit stingy with facts, though.

9. lumpi says:

Heh, great! Looks fantastic.

10. Dreamhacker says:

This looks like the kind of mod I would want to play. In singleplayer, that is.

11. PHeMoX says:

“Whatever happened to UT Troopers in the end? I thought they were tolerated by LucasArts, although they obviously couldn’t enter the MSU contest.”

They’re still alive and kicking… sort of. Their website seems dead now, but Troopers: Dawn of Destiny never got a cease-and-desist letter from Lucas Arts as far as I know.

They did end up having a high profile within the mod scene, so it might be that Lucas stopped it.

I’m sure this Warfare mod will suffer the same stuff… it’s stupid to make a Star Wars mod, only to find out Lucas doesn’t like it.

In fact, the quality of this one is better than Battlefront series, so I am sure it will be stopped eventually.

12. PHeMoX says:

( also.. they had plans to switch to the Unreal Tournament III engine as well. Not sure if that ever happened. )

13. Gutter says:

Modder : Play Mass Effect, and see how one can do Star Warry looking artwork that is still original.

14. Tei says:

Is North Africa copyrighted yet? And Europe? And USA? I think you have to pay to make a movie with a fictional New Your. Is “Liberty City” Free or you have to pay to use “Liberty City” in a movie? Is Freedom City or Metropolis free?

I think we need a random randomizer creator to create random randomizers to create random things, and a lawyer, so If we create something that is already corpyrighted/registered or some crap, we re-play the randomizer to create another one.

15. x25killa says:

At last, no bloody jedis ruining the pew pew pew fests.

16. dalig varg says:

no jet packs :(

17. JonFitt says:

No disintegration?

18. Gundato says:

On the topic of 2k4’s Troopers: If I recall correctly, when Troopers first came out, the team did Lucasart’s job for them. In short, something happened to cause part of the team to throw a hissy fit, and they began to get litigious about their work for the mod. After much drama, Troopers was released (albeit, with much less than was originally planned).

I recently retried the mod, and it feels far too much like “Just another Battlefield”. Doesn’t have the same intensity that the first release had.

I could be wrong (I think there may have been two Star Wars mods, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if the hissy fit is WHY one became two).

DarkNoghri says:

I was watching the video thinking it was somewhat accurate, but then a stormtrooper actually managed to shoot someone.

20. Heliocentric says:

Star wars free from George “nugget” Lucas. Where do i sign?

21. Lemur says:

Needs more thermal detonators.

22. Spoon says:

It’s based off CoD4. You can bet there will be more thermal detonator spam than you could have ever wished for.

23. Zyrxil says:

Rebels as the USMC instead of the Insurgents; I love how it always gets set up that way :p

24. Jayt says:

Creativity is dead

25. Ishy says:

Looks kinda identical to normal CoD4 to me. Everyone using the exact same weapon (And speaking of the weapon, reloading energy weapons in a Star Wars game, what? I’m by no means a huge star wars nerd but in no official games did you reload the common rifles), knife attacks instant killing, running about and jumping everywhere, etc.

Also, correction to the notes on the Battlefield 1942 mod, which was Galactic Conquest. It merged with First Strike which is now released on BF2142, though I haven’t played it in a while.

26. Gundato says:

@Ishy

Actually, in every recent Star Wars game with guns, you had to reload. I know Dark Forces had it, and maybe some of the side scrollers (without sabers) did too.

27. Spork says:

looks a lot like battlefront

28. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

@Spork: If you honestly think so then you should look at First Strike. That one’s a Star Wars mod for BF2142.

29. Ging says:

What sort of blasters are they using?

Where’s the E11 at? You can’t have stormies without the E11!

(I’m fully aware that I’m behind the times, it comes from starting a new job and living in a flat, temporarily without a net connection! The horror!)

30. jackflash says:

gun sounds seem totally wrong