A Starborn Thing: Fort Zombie

By Kieron Gillen on September 8th, 2009 at 10:03 am.

If only you could talk to the zombies. Now that *would* be something special.

This was announced of PAX. Keberos, the makers of Sword of the Stars, are apparently working on an action-rpg game for Paradox which will be out in autumn. In other words, pretty damn imminently. The aim of the game is to defend your selected fort – a police-station, prison or hospital, with different advantages – by running around the town, twatting zombies and searching for stuff to build up your defences. Scanning its feature list, what’s most promising is the 3D town formed from some kind of mix-and-match tile system, which implies the potential for variability. It’s apparently a smaller spin off the tech they’re using to build Northstar, their space-RPG-trading thing. Anyway – press release follows and there’s grabs over at WorthPlaying. More news as it emerges, grave-sodden.

NEW YORK – September 4th 2009 – The undead will walk the Earth this autumn, as Paradox Interactive today kicked off PAX 2009 with the unveiling of Fort Zombie. Tackle hordes of zombies in this Action/RPG ttle that will be available through all major digital distribution channels.

In Fort Zombie, players will find themselves trapped in the small town of Piety, Indiana. Faced with no other choice but to find shelter from an impending wave of zombies migrating from a nearby metropolis, players will be challenged to choose a building to be their Fort throughout the entire campaign. By effectively focusing efforts on building up this structure, in between scouring town for supplies and searching out and training survivors, players will have a shot at surviving the massive zombie onslaught.

For the few remaining citizens of Piety, each new day brings more fear. Only the most prepared citizens of Piety will stand a chance against the zombie infestation. Choose from a variety of daily tasks and efficiently build up your characters stats and skills as you battle blood-thirsty invaders and attempt to avoid total infestation. But the most important thing of all is that you build up your Fort if anyone is to have any hope of surviving your last, big stand-off against the coming undead swarm.

This autumn, stay alive and be prepared for the fight of your lives in Fort Zombie!
* “Collectible” NPC survivor-families give players surprising new abilities, but you have to find them all first!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jti says:

So much zombies… Only thing now missing is the real zombie apocalypse. Maybe we’ll have to wait to 2012? Anyway, this game seems to have a lot of potential for fun.

2. sigma83 says:

Feels very much like The Last Stand from the press release.

NOT THAT THAT’S A BAD THING.

3. Dorian Cornelius Jasper says:

Hopefully, and this may sound strange, the zombies will be zombies. And not super-monsters. Then again, maybe I’ve just played too many zombie browser games wherein the zombies are clearly much more than your average shambler/runny-screamer.

4. RogB says:

shit on a stick. I was just contemplating this sort of thing after last week’s ‘procedurally generated city’ feature. I thought ‘why hasnt someone made an I Am Legend game with a randomised city, where you have to go out and get supplies to defend your stronghold’.
    I was even thinking about doing a roguelike as a test. Then voila, here it is.

5. Ian says:

So Zafehouse but with graphics? Or something like that?

Works for me.

6. Greg Wild says:

Interesting, this isn’t far from my perfect (zombie themed) game :D

Funnily enough I’m going to be trying out Sword of the Stars later today :P

7. Tei says:

“shelter from an impending wave of zombies migrating from a nearby metropolis”

I appreciate a videogame thats tryiing to make sense. Zombies are comming from a know source.

It will help, if this game is anything like a “Sim Zombies”. We need a game that make people think about saving oil for energy production, and not wasting it on chainsaw.

“Hum… I can kill 200 zombies with the chainsaw, but then this night the electric fences will not work, and I will have to fight on the dark…”

Probabbly It will not be accurate like this. But it seems will be the next thing to it. 2% sim, 98% RPG.

8. Lars Westergren says:

Hm, so we have two Zombe RPGs on the way, though with quite different gameplay it looks like.

The base building+diabloish action in this one sounds neat, I have more hope for the one by DoubleBear. That seems to have more focus on horror, plot and classic RPG elements.

9. Karry says:

They should NOT have released this particular screenshot. I dont care how alpha/pre-alpha it is, this screenshot is…

10. Greg Wild says:

It’s not that clear if there’s going to be any sort of online (hopefully.) I’ve noticed Northstar will have it, so hopefully FZ will too.

Also, yes. It is ugly bugly.

11. Cooper says:

What with this and ZombiePG, I am unashamed to say I have a huge, bulging want gland.

12. Phill Cameron says:

This does seem very much zafehousey. Which is a good thing, of course. More zombie stuff with depth!

13. DMJ says:

Lately it seems that games are focussing on teaching survivors how to successfully resist the hordes in the inevitable zombie apocalypse, but I have a problem with that.

There’s no guarantee that any of us is going to be one of the last survivors, we’re far more likely to be one of the shambling masses.

We need more training in how to defeat locked doors when your hands are useless meat bludgeons, the best way to extract brains from the skull with maximum efficiency, and acceptible gurgling moan ettiquette.

So far only L4D presents a balanced picture, but that’s just one game out of how many zombie games? It’s just not cricket.

14. Tei says:

Our civilization is evolving to convey better the concept of FAIL and EPIC FAIL.

Zombies impersonate better a hostile stupid force against what a error, or a stupid beavior may result in anhilation of a whole group (the Epic Fail).

I will consider this new obsesion for Epic Failing better than the old one obsesion with Losing, and Lossers.

15. Po0py says:

I’m gonna be nice and assume that the level design in some of those screens is very very early because it just doesn’t look like the hand of a seasoned pro. It looks more like a mod to be honest.

I think once this year is done we should stop with the zombie theme. I’m up for a few more zombie games but it’s gonna get old pretty soon.

16. Fat Zombie says:

I approve of the new wave of zombie-based titles.

17. Schaulustiger says:

I still miss a zombie RTS. It would make for an interesting gameplay – the only way to increase your army’s numbers would be to devour enemies.

18. Diji says:

Yay for zombies, do want!

19. Harlander says:

Surviving zombies in a town constructed from mix-and-match tiles? Sounds like the (awesome) boardgame Zombies!

yhancik says:

Oh my, I love zombies, but this is getting a bit too much for my own taste. I don’t want zombies to be the next aliens/orcs/elves.

That being said, it looks interesting. I kind of like the screenshots actually.
    The thing that bugs me the most is the character’s pose, for some reason.

21. Marty Dodge says:

Woah, how original, another game about fighting off zombie hordes. I do wish game designers would take to people with an imagination before designing new games.

22. Junch says:

Multiplayer and I’m there.

23. JonFitt says:

Well it’s within the Zombgeist. I think after 10 years of WW2 games I can stand another year of Zombie games.

We haven’t had one that really captures the zombie apocalypse yet though. Currently they’re all shooty bang games.

I like the idea of a city built from tiles, it reminds me of XCom. But the arms out walk of the zombies in the screenshot is a little am-dram for me. I prefer the lurching hands down shamble with the hands only lunging for a grab. It’s more symbolic of a body barely managing mobility.

24. dhex says:

ha, zombgeist.

this seems neat as all get out but the continued popularity of the undead as topic is puzzling.

25. Kieron Gillen says:

WWZ is the new WW2.

KG

26. Vinraith says:

I really like Kerberos, but I’m sick to death of zombie games. Still, on the strength of the development house I’ll try and keep up with this. If it gets anywhere near the lunatic fun of SotS, I’m in.

27. Dominic White says:

This sounds like it’s just a little stopgap project to keep the money rolling in, so that Northstar can be completed without having to make major cuts along the way.

As others have said, Kerberos are a surprisingly great little studio. Forget what you heard about Sword of The Stars when it first launched – try playing it now (ideally the Complete edition off of Steam or whatever store you use). It has probably dethroned Master of Orion 2 as my favourite spacey-4X game.

Seriously, it’s that good.

28. Chris R says:

Zafehouse? Buh?? Looking at the website it doesn’t look like it is Multiplayer… boooo!

Are there any other multiplayer mods that will allow you to search for supplies/barries during the day and then upgrade your “fort” to fight off the zombies at night?

There was one custom L4D map that kind of did this… however you searched for medpacks/pills/guns that were then available in the special safehouse area. I want something along the lines of being able to find supplies and barries to upgrade the safehouse with. Woodplanks to Iron bars to steel plates to electrified steel plates with barbed wire to….. you see where I’m going with this?

29. Vinraith says:

@Dominic

“Seriously, it’s that good.”

It really is, isn’t it?

I couldn’t place it above Gal Civ 2, but I’d place it on the same tier and that’s saying a LOT. They do two very different things, and respectively they do them quite well. GC2 is the better empire builder and “serious” space game, SotS is the better combat game and has that fantastic B Sci-Fi feel that I’ve never encountered in a strategy game before.

They’re both a blast, though I’ll admit SotS is the one I’m playing at the moment. How can you fault a game that quotes MST3K from time to time?

30. TeeJay says:

Exactly how much enemy AI is needed in a zombie game?

31. Jambe says:

Indiana! Yay! I’m from there!

… oh wait.

32. Animystic says:

If Paradox is behind it, chances are it’ll be awesome. I mean, seriously, Paradox. That’s all you even need to say to know the game is most likely going to rock your face so hard it’ll give you a facelift.

33. We Fly Spitfires says:

Zombies! Why won’t someone hurry up an make a Zombie MMORPG?! :)