The RPS Electronic Wireless Show Episode 29

By John Walker on September 9th, 2009 at 10:24 pm.

If there were a logo for the RPS podcast, this is what it would look like.

Okay, okay, you can stop the email campaign, the angry letters in the post, the furious sky writing – there’s a new podcast. Join Jim and John as they attempt to upset every listener from the young to the grumpy, while almost discussing videogames on a few occasions. Of course your Twitter questions fuel our rampant discussion, and indeed our dreadful manners.

People we’re mindlessly rude about include Norwegians, the Pope, people who comment on RPS, people who Tweet to RPS, anyone who is young, and Kieron. But we’re very polite about owls.

Matters of gaming discussion occasionally crop up. They include further discussion of GTA IV, some thoughts about the longevity of MMOs and the accompanying social responsibilities, why we stopped playing WoW, and thoughts on the possibilities for augmented reality games. And model villages. Oh no wait, that’s not games is it?

There’s also vital details on Jim’s plan to imprison criminals in petrol stations, and what games John’s dad plays. IMAGINE KNOWING EITHER OF THOSE THINGS!

Get the mp3 directly from here, subscribe to it by RSS with this, or get it on iTunes from here.

And Nocculi, send us your email address so we can interview you for discussion in the next podcast!

Meanwhile, here’s what Stephen Fry used to be like in the past:

__________________

« | »

, .

1. drewski says:

I only got around to listen to 28 two days ago!

Must keep up with world.

2. ChaosSmurf says:

Do you ever start talking about video ga- oh there we go.

3. Serondal says:

What are the chances of getting transcripts of your pod casts posted for those of us at work who can’t listen and who , once they get home, are totally whipped by their wife so they cant even get on the computer in the privacy of their own home and do what they want to when they want to. (AKA me)

4. Novotny says:

I’d very pleased if you didn’t call them podcasts btw.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon :)

5. Serondal says:

how about wireless public disturbances of the peace?

6. TotalBiscuit says:

Serondal – That’s a lotta work y’know. Just lock your wife in the cellar for an hour or so (or get a media player for your commute)

7. jsutcliffe says:

Does Walker talk about how persevered with WoW until he reached level 40 so he could get a mount but then learned he needed a bunch of gold and then gave up in this one?

If not, why not?

8. Serondal says:

That’s why I quit playing Wow! How did you know ? :P

9. John Walker says:

Serondal – absolutely zero I’m afraid.

We do lots and lots and lots of writing on the site. This is the sound bit, and transcribing it would defeat its purpose. And I bet you could find 45 minutes over a week to listen. Go on.

jsutcliffe – Because I realised how many bloody times I’ve said that before and finally managed to stop myself : )

10. ChaosSmurf says:

John, are you sure this wasn’t some voice-editted Rum Doings? Your topic to avoid was games. You did so semi-successfully.

11. Serondal says:

I figured as much. Ah well.

I read most of Lost via transcription before I ever watched a single show and was hooked that way. Sadly the actual show isn’t nearly as good as it is in my head (But it is still pretty good)

12. abigbat says:

That’s why I quit WoW too in all honesty. I raised the question because I recently gave it another shot and have found all the changes to be very much to my taste; levelling is far easier now, and they’ve simplified a lot of the needlessly complex stuff. Good times all round.

13. David says:

Serondal: It’s conceivable that RPS volunteers might transcribe the spoken words. Barring some sort of clever voice-recognition widget, it’d probably take a non-trivial amount of effort.

You’d lose something in the delivery too, I’d wager. Not even a voice synthesizer set to ‘comedic chipmunk’ would bring that back.

Finally: Rum doings is fascinating and lovely. I’m hoping it continues.

14. Larington says:

Can never think of any good questions to send across twitter…

15. John Walker says:

Cheers David – we’re recording more Rum Doings tomorrow.

16. futage says:

Serondal, you read transcribed Lost? That’s frightening and amazing at the same time.

Run the podcast through voice recognition and see what happens. Dadaism, I expect.

17. Serondal says:

Yah it was when I first started this job. We were a start up company and weren’t getting much business so I’d literally sit there for 8 hours and take 5 calls (Now I take calls back to back all freaking day which makes things much faster) but for the first month I was reading lost transcripts starting from the first episode all the way up through the last episode aired at that time. It was durning the off season so when the show started up again I was totally caught up.

18. futage says:

:D

There’s something bizarrely admirable and utterly fascinating about that.

19. drewski says:

Even for you two, that was exceptionally not about games.

I still liked it.

20. Serondal says:

It’s really just sad when I look back on it . The first few episodes I watched I was like “No no , you’ve got the voice all wrong! That isn’t how John Locke talks!”

21. futage says:

Hahah, I like it.

I suppose it’s not hugely different from reading a play (which for some reason I tend to prefer to just watching plays). But it seems different from that somehow.

There was a picture of an owl who got stuck in a wood-burning stove and was just looking out of the window-doors with its big eyes on the Midlands news today. I wanted to link it in relation to the podcast but sadly cannot find it.

22. Serondal says:

No that can’t be it that is from last year.

23. futage says:

Hahaha, no, but thanks for the effort.

This was just a photo sent in by a viewer showing the owl actual staring out of the stove looking scared and confused (I may be anthropomorphising a bit, owl expressions are pretty hard to read).

24. Στέλιος says:

Yay, Copenhagen and LEGO. When can we expect the tickets?

25. futage says:

(if anyone really wants to see the owl, you can watch the full episode here. The owl is near the end. http://www.bbc.co.uk/midlandstoday/ )

26. Lewis says:

Transcription-requesters: as a rough guide, it takes me around four hours to fully transcribe a twenty minute interview. I doubt many would be happy to transcribe a podcast each week.

27. LewieP says:

+1 for learnt the word augmented from Deus Ex.

28. John Walker says:

Lewis: top tip. Use Winamp, and set its global hotkeys up. I have play/pause set to tilde, and then skipping back 5 seconds to [

You don’t need to tab away from your doc to stop or rewind, and it speeds me up enormously. 20 min interview takes about an hour or so now.

Still not transcribing the podcast though : )

29. Fenchurch says:

That owl is lovely. :-3

30. jarvoll says:

It’s pronounced “Turnkvist”. The crossed-out ‘o’ is the same as an ‘o’ with two dots on top (as seen in Swedish and possibly German, IIRC) in that it’s pronounced like the ‘ir’ in ‘bird’.

31. Vinraith says:

I do wish you’d find another mechanism for taking reader questions hen you’re recording these things. Not all of us wish to be twitts.

32. MrBejeebus says:

This is unheard of, I’m being flooded with RPS podcasts :O

Sehr gut Sir’s

Rum Doings is brilliant also

33. Vinraith says:

Oh and guys? That’s two John and Jim podcasts where I had to dive for the MP3 player controls to skip forward to avoid spoilers for a game I haven’t played yet. Now I know I’m horrendously behind the times and all (hasn’t played GTA IV yet? BURN HIM!), but at least a casual warning would be really helpful.

And since it seems like all I’m doing in this thread is bitching, let me say “thanks for the podcast” as well.

Like John I’ve never had much luck getting into a GTA game. They ultimately feel sort of pointless, and there’s always this sense that something’s missing. I think what I really want is for them to be more like an RPG, where there’s a clear progression and rewards for moving forward. I also tend to get irritated (at least in 3 and Vice City) with the extended period during which the games are basically linear despite being set in a vast “open world.” How does GTA IV compare to those games? I have gotten the sense that the main character is a more interesting one to inhabit than previous leads (somewhat confirmed by John and Jim’s comments). Maybe that would actually keep me involved.

34. Alex says:

You guys are behind the times! Minority Report beat you to the cereal box TV concept, although I can’t remember if they were also 3D.

35. John Walker says:

Vinraith – I think the worst we do is reveal that there is a twist in one story – not what it is at all.

36. JB says:

“And model villages. Oh no wait, that’s not games is it?”

Or is it?

37. airtekh says:

Nice podcast guys.

But …

Don’t bash The Wire please.

Rant ON
    I’ve been following it all summer on BBC2 and can honestly say it is one of the most absorbing, intelligent TV shows I have ever seen. Superficially, it may not seem like that what with the simple premise of cops vs robbers: it evolves into much more than that. The multiple, intertwining stories and engaging, human characters are the core of its magic. The political and moral decisions made by the characters are what captivates and the themes it explores are subtle, and bring each season of the show into focus. I saw someone once describe it as a visual novel and I would have to agree: it’s almost like the end of each episode is the end of a chapter in a book.

I will concede that it is very slow-paced compared to other TV shows (the police generally have one case to solve, and it lasts the entire season) and the use of technical jargon by police and lawyers, as well as slang and street-names used by other characters is off-putting. However, the payoff at the end of each season is incredibly rewarding if you persist. Also, unlike many other TV programs, the Wire gets better with each season, not the other way around.

If you don’t believe me, then watch this for a taste of what it is capable of.
    Rant OFF

Sorry, just kinda saw red when you were discussing it.

38. drewski says:

The Wire is indeed stonkingly, absurdly, wonderfully awesome.

39. phil says:

The Wire is aces, even better than owls.

Discussion of narratives in video games often comes down to the arbitary moral choice you must make; if you want an example of strong narrative with an utterly amoral core, no villians, only victims, no heroes, just people with varying degrees of ego, compassion and competence, the Wire is the gold standard.

40. Kieron Gillen says:

Re: The Wire. Clicked with episode 4 for me, I think.

The Chess scene in 3 almost killed me and the lady too. Impressively terrible, and I had to convince her it was worth persevering with after that show of sledgehammer idiot writing.

Still: Best TV show of the 00s, hands down.

I’ve told this to John every time I’ve talked to him about the Wire, so I’m not sure why he thinks people don’t say the first few are iffy.

KG

41. sigma83 says:

I’ve in the beginning of season 4 of the Wire, and I am undecided as to whether it is better than Galactica. Season for season it is way more impressive but I am reserving final judgment until I finish all of it.

42. url404 says:

I also liked The Wire immensely and found it enjoyable to watch over the five seasons but I do get slightly wary of being evangelical about it.

Excellent podcast once again. I have no problems with it being off track at all (yay for more Rum Doings tomorrow!).

If we go to Copenhagen can I take LSD then go to Legoland?

43. øøøååæ says:

Outrage! Did it ever occur to you that you have Norwegian subscribers??! Who singlehandedly pay for your outlandish salaries with my petro-kroners?

If this vile attack on an oppressed minority continue I will have to reevaluate my support.

sincerely
    Bjørn ååååhh

44. Kieron Gillen says:

RPS London Loves Norwegians. Also, the Wire.

KG

45. Thesper says:

This is what happens with the Wire: you tell someone it is absolutely awesome. They don’t really believe you/humour you/watched the first episode but no further/whatever.

Then a few months later you’re talking to them and they tell you they’d started watching the Wire through the first season and it’s really good why didn’t you tell me it was this good.

I did this and since I wrapped up watching the final season last year I’ve had it happen to me a good half a dozen times. So I sort of give up on saying anything more about the Wire than recommending people watch it. They all come round eventually anyway.

46. abecedarian says:

The secret ingredient is People.
    Kellogg operates a large orphanage in Montana. If children don’t find a home by 14, they’re ground up and baked into sugary flakes.

Comment on this story