Time’s Collapsing! Singularity Walkthrough Trailer

By John Walker on September 9th, 2009 at 11:54 pm.

Oh please don't let the monsters be rubbish and mess this up.

I’m maintaining my optimism for Singularity. I love all the time-twisty effects and ideas, and I’m intrigued by the mysterious nature of what I’ve seen so far. The latest walkthrough video is just the one I’ve wanted to see – an explanation of how the time-bending works. Including details on the “null zone”, a place that exists between time, that I think looks rather spiffy.

That glove just looks so cool. The ability to pull objects in and out of time, rather than control time itself, seems a really good angle on it all. It’s not the, er, liveliest of videos, but it keeps me remaining interested in what could be a novel shooter. Please let it be. Please!

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Serondal says:

I’m holding out hope for this one as well.

2. ChaosSmurf says:

You know what, that looked really damn cool. I know people are gonna say “lol, timeflashlight, what’s the point?” but in (say) Half-Life 2, all you’d do is gravity gun the beam down, without that extra layer. If the whole game is as nicely presented as this (and hay, it won’t be, but you know), I’ll be really interested to play it. Plus I love time travel.

I must say also I loved the movement and animation on the scientist guy. It was neat.

3. ZIGS says:

It’s like a mix of Cryostasis and STALKER. Interesting

4. Serondal says:

So far my favorite game involving time travel is still Chrono Trigger :P I love leaving Robo back in time trying to replant the forest only to come to the future and find a verdant forest where once was a totally destroyed waste land ^_^

5. SirKicksalot says:

In b4 “Wolfenstein sucked”.

Wolfenstein was a kick-ass action game which started really bad. If they integrate these time powers as well as they did with the Veil in Wolfenstein, this game’s gonna rock.
    It won’t be an OMG INNOVATIVE OMG title though, so bitter gamers, like always, will bitch.

The viral marketing campaign is brilliant.
    But screw their fonts.

6. HexagonalBolts says:

what a pointless upgrade, you basically just picked up batteries and put it in a fusebox (the same boring task I have been doing for goddamn years) – except it was meant to be some mystical time travelling power because there was blue stuff glowing around everywhere – in reality nothing is added to the gameplay. Take a leaf out of Braid’s book and learn how to do time manipulation properly.

7. Thiefsie says:

This looks like Cryostasis to me… holding promise but probably not able to live up to what people’s expectations for it are.

8. Thiefsie says:

But yeh… it’s an extra button to press (switch to glove) before picking up those fuses and shoving them in the box = hardly bringing anything interesting to the table. Otherwise those things may as well just be there and either ‘used’ (e) or shot etc.

9. Kitt Basch says:

I think that puzzle was pretty straight forward because that was the tutorial.

I’m positive about this one too, the production values look solid enough. I quite like that effect of the walls ageing and decaying suddenly.

10. SirKicksalot says:

The action was the same, the context was different.
    Pulling fuses out of what basically is a time limbo is a way cooler concept than pulling them out of the cupboard. This matters to me, I’m not interested only in the actual gameplay mechanics.
    Nothing is added to the gameplay (and it doesn’t HAVE to!), but a lot is added to the experience.

11. Serondal says:

What would you suggest as a better usage for time altering tools?

12. LionsPhil says:

Yeah…I want to like this, but all they’ve shown there is “use key with sparkles”. Day of the Tentacle’s time-puzzles have nothing to fear.

13. Rob says:

Remember Timeshift? We all know how that turned out. Extremely forgettable.

14. Persus-9 says:

These walkthroughs are starting to generate a little interest in me. I still don’t much like the setting and their model of time travel seems very silly but it looks like it might be quite a fun shooty-puzzler. The aging and younging (is there a good word for reverse aging?) of things from the first video looked very cool to me.

15. Dave says:

Wow you can use THE POWER OF TIME ITSELF to throw objects and solve puzzles by picking up fuses and putting them in fuse boxes.

I hope there’s a bit where the player uses time to throw a crate at a Time Zombie, or maybe stack up objects as stepping stones across a pool of toxic waste.

16. suibhne says:

I have no confidence in Raven making a groundbreaking FPS title…or, well, any kind of game at all…but the art direction in this is really beautiful.

17. ZIGS says:

Remember Timeshift? We all know how that turned out. Extremely forgettable.

I loved TimeShift, for the same reason I loved Red Faction: the gameplay just felt good. I mean, the weapons in both those games felt great to shoot. And when a game is 90% shooting guns, that’s a success on my book. You guys are talking about how the game doesn’t really innovate and maybe that’s true but for me, if a game just feels good to actually play, then I know I’ll enjoy it. Hopefully this one will feel good :)

18. Zerotime says:

Thanks, doc! Lucky for both of us I happened to have a glowing thing on my wrist for that glowing thing you threw at me to fit into!

19. Alex says:

I have no idea if it’ll have any bearing on the impact on the gameplay, but the idea of pulling objects through time with your Technothingy instead of a gravity gun reminds me of the abilities of the characters from the Chronicles of Amber who can ‘pull’ objects through time/space/dimensions after navigating the Logrus.

20. Popular Energy Drink says:

Looks like a boring version of Cryostasis with more CG sparkles. Hrm.

21. The Unshaven says:

RPS needs more threads like this. There so much sarcasm here that is actually comedic. It doesn’t matter whether I agree or not, it’s *fun.*

More of this in the L4D2 threads would ease my pain considerably.

– The Unshaven

22. Eldoop says:

I have to say I agree that it looks like the whole time mechanic doesn’t look like it’s being used in any interesting way. So far all I’ve seen done with it is getting fuses that may as well have been just sitting on the table, restoring cover that you very obviously need and which can be restored with simply the press of a button, and causing a dead tree to come to life again, creating cover.

It looks like it’s just another simple, uninspired layer in their puzzles. The fact that you are pulling things through time appears to be just a gimmick. Which is really disappointing, because I was very excited when I first started hearing about the game.

23. Angel Dust says:

It looks like Raven have created a nice atmosphere there, the null space was well done, but the time manipulating mechanic is pathetic; it’s simply a more involved ‘picking up’ process. I understand that it’s most likely a tutorial level and consequently the ‘puzzles’ are quite basic but I strongly doubt, due on Raven’s recent track record, that we are going to getting much more.

Still even with lackluster time mechanics it could still be fun as long as the shooting is solid and/or story compelling. On the former Raven are usually pretty good but the later doesn’t look to promising. The player character looked like the most generic ‘grizzled, I’m just doin’ my job’ type I’ve ever seen. I actually laughed out loud since it felt almost like parody.

Regarding ‘Cryostasis': it had a similarly underdeveloped gimmick to it but, as underdeveloped as it was, it still worked very well as a narrative technique. The overall story/themes/characters and some surprisingly poignant moments plus the extremely strong atmosphere made for one of my finer gaming experiences of the last few years.

24. Dracko says:

Wow, two fusebox puzzles in as many segments of the same walkthrough.

Raven sure haven’t lost their touch.

25. Michael says:

I played it in cologne behind closed doors. didn’t really like it. all those time-effects were placed like…. well… all the stuff you were able to manipulate was glowing blue. and hell you know that you had to do it no matter what. this way it’s not a feature anymore but just a boring thing with neat graphic-effects.

imo it’s a cool idea but raven missed the point.

26. Heliosicle says:

Reminds me of Bioshock, despite being nothing like it.

Looks interesting

27. Ian says:

Hrrmmm…

28. Monkeybreadman says:

Bioshock, Doom, Dead Space, Cryostasis, Wolfenstein, Stalker, System Shock, i could go on but i’m sure i’ve seen this somewhere before……

Still looks good and (most) of the list were classics, so one to put on the ‘wait till its cheaper’ list

29. jon_hill987 says:

So is it a cross between Braid and Wolfenstein?

30. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s probably difficult, but it’d be so much more fascinating if the time manipulation aspect weren’t just a gimmick.. not a tool to use instead of whatever one would use in another shooter. The time aspects beyond the player’s control seem more interesting, but what I’ve seen so far looks okay, but nothing as special as what one could hope time manipulation to be.

31. Darkelp says:

I am still looking forward to this, more so after this video.
    Dare I say I actually enjoy Raven games? They are admittedly simple but hugely enjoyable.

A thumbs up from me so far.

32. diebroken says:

Starting to get more interested in this title… for now I’m still calling this a TimeShift ‘spiritual successor’. ;)

33. Optimaximal says:

I was hoping that more of the game would be this sort of slow-burning more cerebral stuff, but given that its Raven and ‘TEH SHOOTY’ always seems to be the way to go with them these days, its not really worth holding out for…

That said, even if it was great, Actizzard will likely price it at £39.99 following the inevitable success of their MW2 ‘experiment’, meaning unless I can get hold of a review copy, I won’t be playing it regardless.

34. KindredPhantom says:

This seems interesting. I may watch the other walkthrough parts.

35. Owen says:

I’m also interested. Thanks for banging on about this one John.

36. l1ddl3monkey says:

Still interested.

37. Dracko says:

jon_hill987: I doubt we’ll ever see this in our lifetimes.

38. Dominic White says:

I’m not entirely sure where people got the idea that this was going to be a cerebral time-travel puzzle adventure. Every trailer up to now has basically been ‘There will be lots of shooting and a bit of time-bending’. And, as others have said, it’s an FPS by Raven.

This is one of those bizarre situations where people have hyped themselves up for an imaginary game that never would have existed anyway, and are dissapointed when reality doesn’t live up to fantasy.

39. Jeremy says:

In all fairness, this is the first time you get said ability to grab items from the past. Also, this seem to be quite early in the game, so they’re not going to throw any mind benders at this point in the game anyway. Hopefully there will be those situations where you can try multiple solutions or have real puzzles, but we’ll see :)

One thing I liked was it seemed to care about the story telling at least, even if it doesn’t end up being the most elaborate story, often times the way you tell a story makes the biggest difference.

40. Jacques says:

damn folks, you guys are demanding, and forgetful

Raven made Elite Force back in the day, but far more importantly, they made Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, it’ sequel being fairly awful in comparison, but with adequate multiplayer. Sure, Wolfenstein wasn’t very original, but it’s frickin Wolfenstein, I mean, who expected Wolfenstein to have a good story or original elements, it’s been a cheesy rip off of Indiana Jones combined with James Bond combined with doom since…. well, it’s conception.

While the time manipulation doesn’t look amazingly original, it seems interesting, and while I see many comments about how it sucks, I don’t see many ideas except to copy BRAID, and if they did that, wouldn’t we all complain that they ripped off BRAID? I like the concepts thus far, we’ll just have to hope it goes well from here

41. tonymster says:

enough of these scary games man, let’s get original. Use this graphical technology for beautiful and relaxing stuff. Who the hell wants to get scared after a whole day at work? What the hell’s the matter with you people? U don’t have enough stress in the office?