Nobody Expects It: Inquisitor

By Kieron Gillen on September 10th, 2009 at 12:11 pm.

Hey! Guys! I'm up here! Let me d... oh, you're fighting. I'll wait.

This burst into my consciousness on Monday via a Qt3 thread noting that it looks an interesting Baldur’s Gate/Savage-esque RPG with some rather amusing English on the webpage (“100 km of tortuous corridors”). That’s been fixed now, alas. Anyway – it’s 10 years in the making. It promises an enormous 1500 page script. You actually play as an inquisitor. It’s also from Central Europe – Czech this time. And… well, it does sound rather like it’s the best candidate for a new Witcher in some time. Fingers crossed, eh? You’ll find its trailer below…

You may note that in the spirit of argument avoiding I’ve totally not wound up the Witcher fans. This is because I am hungover, thus weak.

Worth noting that you can pre-order the game now for a 20 dollars saving, and have access to the game earlier than the standard English release. Which is interesting.

Oh – and if its PR is reading this, check your mail.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Pemptus says:

Definitely not amazing graphx. But that’s fine, I like 2D stuff. Just… give me an option to run, I hate sluggish movement in games.

2. mesmertron says:

Witcher fans need an excuse to get wound up?

3. Diogo Ribeiro says:

That seems a bit more like Kult and Lionheart, though.

4. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms… Inquisitor against heretics… I sense a theme but lack the mental aptitude for anything witty or poignant.

5. Tyndareus says:

It does look interesting. Movement is a bit jerky, but the prospect of playing an inquisitor sounds…tempting.

6. Rai says:

Reminds me of Arcanum, graphically speaking. I’m mildly intrigued, could be very interesting if they’ve polished the combat adequately and filled the world densely enough. I hope you don’t walk around like that all the time though…

7. Tore says:

The story and script better be something fierce because they haven’t been working on the graphics for ten years, that’s for sure.

8. Mike says:

These guys are not skilled in making short, ‘snappy’ trailers are they…

9. ChaosSmurf says:

@Mike it felt like about 12 snappy trailers put together.

10. The Sombrero Kid says:

“To be Loosed out of his prison!”

11. Confused says:

Maybe I’m a bit dim, but doesn’t tortuous mean the same thing as twisting or winding anyway? Or am I missing something obvious?

12. The Hammer says:

@Confused: Perhaps it’d be no fun to go through torturous corridors? It’s often how reviewers describe such elements in RPGs. :P

13. GJLARP says:

^What Tore said.

While I’ve always preferred older, more complex games, the trailer just didn’t do it for me. No visual mention of a decent plot or dialogue, and the gameplay looks somewhat bland and generic.

I hope they’ve got something more than that to prove 10 years of hard work.

14. Noc says:

I imagine a tortuous corridor to be constantly trying to level injury suits against you.

Or perhaps you have to chase ambulances down them.

15. Marty Dodge says:

Yes considering they are talking of “heretics” and inquisitors it reminds me of some game for Catholic gamers. And the knight is wearing a sodding great cross on his chest.

I think, from the trailer, we can expect some rather amusing howlers for subtitles as well.

16. Malagate says:

Took one look at the title and thought “Somebody has brought out an Inquistor game?!” then got disappointed when I saw a fantasy screenshot instead of 40kish grime and flying cyber skulls. Must remember that that company will probably never again release a decent videogame that’s based on their Specialist range.

17. Tiktaalik says:

“Tortuous corridors” is perfectly fine english is it not? I am confused also.

18. Tei says:

It looks greats, and the graphics are pretty. Probably this one will be better than Sacred 1. And not as good as a classic like Baldurs Gate. Theres the problem that is 2009, and 2D games looks something of the past.

19. Uglycat says:

Now I know where all the 2d artists went.

Seriously though, I’d be more than happy to stay with 2d isotmetric games as long as the game is good. I don’t need 3d to have a good time.

20. bhlaab says:

The combat looks like diablo-type garbage that has no place in a narrative rpg.

And if Bethesda and Bioware’s latest games are any indication of where the present and future lay, living in the past is certainly what I intend to do.

21. Paul says:

It looks like quite nice retro RPG. And it costs 666CZK here (35 bucks) : ).

But comparing it to The Witcher? Certainly not from technology standpoint (which is fine, since it is made by 10 people working on it in their free time).

22. Dread Knight says:

It sort of looks like diablo 2 to me:

the character looks like the paladin
    one of the skills he’s using looks like the second effect from “Fist of the Heavens” spell, which was damaging undead creatures

23. Tom says:

This looks like another interesting title along the lines of Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Arcanum, and others. It’s nice to see developers, however small (or working in their spare time), keeping this genre (in its 2d incarnation) alive.

24. Vinraith says:

Looks good. It’s nice to see 2D art again, it ages so much better than 3D. It’s hard to tell from the trailer just how involving this may end up being, but what I see I like.

25. Kaltano says:

The big gray fellows in that screenshot look very much like
    Asheron’s Call lugians. Almost exactly and all that, thought thats what they were at first.

26. Rosti says:

Aww – title had me expecting something a little more 40K-ey. Not that this isn’t sufficient, but Everything You Have Been Told Is a Lie, an’ all.

27. Geamandura says:

I am literally salivating over this. So can I pre-order?

28. Dreamhacker says:

Ah, feels like it’s 1996 all over! 2D-psuedo-RPG’s for everyone!

29. Hulk Hogan says:

2D doesn’t have to look this bad. It never has to look this unless you’re an unskilled artist.

30. Paul says:

I don’t speak Slovak. Can Anybody Translate This Video? http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/cut-2009-inquisitor-ingamersk/1390165279